Kids in Crown Grill?

SAKay

Are kids allowed to eat in the Crown Grill?  My grandkids are 5, 8, and 10 and well behaved.  So, thinking about taking them to eat there if allowed.

Do they have the same menu?  And what is the charge for the kids?

Thanks very much !   🙂 

3 minutes ago, SAKay said:

Are kids allowed to eat in the Crown Grill?  My grandkids are 5, 8, and 10 and well behaved.  So, thinking about taking them to eat there if allowed.

Thanks very much !   🙂 

My experience of dining in a chargeable venue on Princess is that it is permitted but not encouraged.  Standard rates apply so it is expensive for most peoples pocket.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, john watson said:

My experience of dining in a chargeable venue on Princess is that it is permitted but not encouraged.  Standard rates apply so it is expensive for most peoples pocket.

Regards John

I think there might be a lesser charge for kids in the Crown Grill 0 $14.50, I think.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, john watson said:

Standard rates apply so it is expensive for most peoples pocket.

Nope.  Half price.

The Crown Grill is not a Michelin starred restaurant.  It is a nice venue, but not one where kids would feel out of place or unwelcome.  No issue whatsoever with taking them there.  My suggestion, as always when this issue pops up, is to dine on the early side before the kids get too tired to enjoy themselves.  

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, SAKay said:

Thanks very much !   🙂 

As @JimmyVWine stated: 1/2 price for kids. Go early. Take snacks for the younger ones (altho' IIRC there have been posts that the wait staff take extra care for the little ones, so snacks may not be necessary).

• Like 1

She is a little girl, quite prim and proper.  She likes to dress up and go out to nice places.  The older two are boys.  The only other cruise they've been on was a Disney Cruise when she was 2.  They all did well on that one at 2, 5, and 7.    Like I said, they are very well behaved, go to private school, and like nice things.  They will be fine for an hour and a half and I don't think they will disturb other diners.  I wouldn't take them if they would !   

I just didn't know if kids were allowed in the restaurant, or the cost. Glad to hear it's half priced for kids.  They really don't eat $29 worth of food ! 

Thanks for the info !!!  

• Like 4

Kids are fine in specialty restaurants and they pay half price.  My daughters are not big meat eaters so Sabrina's is a better choice for them, but if the kids like meat then they will be fine at the Crown Grill!  Also remember in the MDR they have a children's menu and the kids can pick from that as well as the regular one (or mix and match.) Mine like the chocolate milk, ABC soup and fruit salads from the kids menu but like to try some of the entrees from the regular one!

Why shouldn’t kids be welcomed in the Crown Grill? IMHO, taking children to upscale restaurants that have table linens , silverware and china dishes teaches them manners and social skills that they can use for a lifetime. 

Children will respond to expectations of their behavior. If a child cannot cope with an upscale restaurant experience, it should be made clear that if they disrupt the meal with their family or others in the restaurant,they will be taken out of the restaurant until they can behave in a calm manor. Now,this may inconvenient for a parent that needs to take the child away from the table. But, the child will (should) learn how to behave at the dinner table. It will be worth it for the long run.

@SAKay I wish you and your family a most enjoyable cruise. You are a good grandmother ! 

I am not sure why the print keeps changing- can’t seem to fix it !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 7

If you (adults) would like to enjoy a long leisurely dinner, you always have the option of asking for their mains to come quickly (optionally followed immediately by dessert), and then one of you taking them to the kids club before your mains come.  
If you prefer to enjoy a nice dinner as a family, that’s fine too.

I would have no thoughts at all about some children dining with their family!!!

I will say that the last time we did Crown Grill, the problem was that the woman who was head of the restaurant was allowing in many additional diners, when the reservations were full and not available.  She was fitting in as many as wanted.  It was like, can you come back at 8:15.    The bar area there was, understandably busy.  But, the whole experience became more like 'take a beeper' at a packed Outback's on a busy Friday or Saturday night.   People and servers rushing by everywhere.

People who always mention, "they have no more reservations, but when I. passed by half the tables were not filled" should remember that,  especially with the current staffing limitations, a full restaurant might not meet the level of service and food experience that many hope for when they book CG.

5 hours ago, SAKay said:

She is a little girl, quite prim and proper.  She likes to dress up and go out to nice places.  The older two are boys.  The only other cruise they've been on was a Disney Cruise when she was 2.  They all did well on that one at 2, 5, and 7.    Like I said, they are very well behaved, go to private school, and like nice things.  They will be fine for an hour and a half and I don't think they will disturb other diners.  I wouldn't take them if they would !   

I just didn't know if kids were allowed in the restaurant, or the cost. Glad to hear it's half priced for kids.  They really don't eat $29 worth of food ! 

Thanks for the info !!!  

Some of my fondest memories with my mom & dad were from our special fancy restaurant dates. I loved taking my little boys out for the same experience.  Children are most welcome everywhere on Princess.  The very few times I’ve witnessed a meltdown the parents were on it quickly and took the child out to recover. 

I am sure the wait staff are already aware that little ones need to have a shorter service time. It wouldn’t hurt to talk to the restaurant manager beforehand to make sure they have adequate staff to give you whatever length of time you desire for dinner. Simply request an hour an hour and a half, 2 hours….. whatever you’re comfort zone is with the kids. 

The crew is so incredibly responsive and accommodating when a clear and deliverable request is made nicely. 

The reason I say to discuss time line expectations in advance is that I’ve more than once failed to do so in Crown and found myself after 3 hours in physical pain & just dying to get out!  Their bad first time…..my bad the second, third and fourth time!  Now I do remember to ask for a 1.5 hour service and that’s what I get. 

Sounds like your children will fit right in.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SAKay said:

Thanks very much !   🙂 

Kids under 12 are half price in specialty restaurants. If you do not think your kids would eat the offerings, you can take them for free if they eat off the kid's menu (it's the same kid's menu every night in all dining rooms). Both my kids have cruised since they were under a year old - my now teen LOVES Crown Grill and will devour anything from the menu. My 11 year old just wants a cheeseburger so has always eaten off the kid's menu free of charge. 

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Kids are always allowed in the specialty restaurants, especially when they are well behaved.  I think the price may be half that of adults but don’t quote me on that.  

They are actually allowed, no matter how well behaved they are. How would the staff know just by looking at the child,  to refuse them upon entry? The charge is 14.50, you are correct about that. 

We've taken our kids to Crown Grill for years.  Since they were little and now they are young adults. 

They pay half price under 16 I believe.  

Make a reservation for early - if you can't get one on the app, go first day onboard and speak to the staff in Crown Grill. They will "find" you an early table. 

We always had a great time - our kids loved it and always looked forward to it on our annual cruises.  

16 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Kids under 12 are half price in specialty restaurants. If you do not think your kids would eat the offerings, you can take them for free if they eat off the kid's menu (it's the same kid's menu every night in all dining rooms). Both my kids have cruised since they were under a year old - my now teen LOVES Crown Grill and will devour anything from the menu. My 11 year old just wants a cheeseburger so has always eaten off the kid's menu free of charge. 

I am assuming that you have experienced this.  However, I have never heard other reports of this on Cruise Critic, nor have I read it on any Princess document.  My understanding is that the specialty restaurant cover charge is for the seat, not the meal. 

I may be wrong.  It happens quite often.

I would assume that your experience is a result of the policy of the Crown Grill headwaiter that evening rather than a Princess-wide policy.  

It would be helpful if others would report their experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

I am assuming that you have experienced this.  However, I have never heard other reports of this on Cruise Critic, nor have I read it on any Princess document.  My understanding is that the specialty restaurant cover charge is for the seat, not the meal. 

I may be wrong.  It happens quite often.

I would assume that your experience is a result of the policy of the Crown Grill headwaiter that evening rather than a Princess-wide policy.  

It would be helpful if others would report their experience.

My youngest has done 27 cruises with Princess and has eaten free off the kid's menu at Crown Grill for every one of them. He is now 11 and still prefers the cheeseburger to a steak.

• Like 1