If not Carnival then who?

groundloop

Since I've retired we've been doing a lot of cruising (might as well spend the IRA before the kids get it 😄 ), almost exclusively on Carnival. 

We did an Alaska cruise this summer on Holland America, and to me there were a few things that I like better about HA and there were a few things I liked better about Carnival.

I'm thinking it's time to look at other cruise lines to see what we think of them. We've always book at least a balcony cabin, I like Carnival's shows (except for the fact that there are only a limited number of different shows across the fleet and I seem to have seen them all at least a couple of times now), in general I don't have any complaints about the food on Carnival, and I prefer a somewhat more casual atmosphere.

For those of you that have cruised other lines as well as Carnival, what are your thoughts?

• Like 1

We did NCL last year. Food in MDR was on par with Carnival, specialty restaurants were great. Entertainment was far better than Carnival. Much more laid back than Carnival. We did Alaska, so maybe that’s why it felt more casual.  Would definitely cruise with them again.

13 minutes ago, TerryNJon said:

Much more laid back than Carnival. We did Alaska, so maybe that’s why it felt more casual.  

I've sailed Carnival 25 times and NCL 16 times, so I'm familiar with both lines.Yet I'm still not sure why you say NCL is more laid back than Carnival and why it feels more casual; can you elaborate? Neither line has strict dress codes for dinner, heck people go through the Carnival buffet in swimwear without a shirt. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

I don't think it matters which cruise line you try next.  You sound easy to please.  Have you thought about a river cruise?  I've never been on one, but our dear friends (both in early 60's) just got back from a European river cruise with Viking and had the time of their lives.  They posted pictures and videos  as they traveled,  and now dh and I are dying to go.  If we didn't have a cruise already booked for November....

That being said,  we're about to try our first Celebrity cruise after several Carnival cruises.  I've been frequenting the Celebrity boards on CC and the FB pages for several months.  It seems to me, a lot of Carnival and RC passengers wind up on Celebrity ships and love it.  I get the impression many make the switch for better food,  slightly more mature company and a more sedate shipboard experience.   I'm looking forward to better food, and I wouldn't object if  it was true that generally the people are better mannered, but I don't know if I'll like the vibe as much.  Even though I don't partake of the partying and drinking , I like the energetic and festive mood on Carnival.   And the people, there's nothing as interesting as the mix of people on a Carnival cruise. 

Edited by Silent Penguin
  • Like 2

I've had great experiences on NCL and RCCL.  The majority of our cruises though have been on Carnival because it was normally the most budget friendly and I felt it was fairly comparable to the other mainstream lines.  However, by the day it seems Carnival is less of a direct competitor to the others.  We have branched out in our future bookings knowing we are willing to spend more to get a more traditional cruise experience meaning it may not primarily be Carnival.

• Like 2

There are a lot more similarities between Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL then there are differences. Both have a few pluses and minuses. I have found that the size and age of the ship, length of the cruise and time of year you are sailing has more to do with the onboard experience than the specific Cruise Line. 

I cruised with MSC for the first time in January and have three more cruises booked with them between October and May.  I found their food and entertainment to be equal to or better than the other main stream cruise lines. Although there were less selections on the menu, I always found something to eat. Their private island is my favorite of any that I have been to. If you don’t need amusement park rides, constant entertainment, and prefer a more traditional cruising experience, I would suggest giving them a try.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TerryNJon said:

We did NCL last year. Food in MDR was on par with Carnival, specialty restaurants were great. Entertainment was far better than Carnival. Much more laid back than Carnival. We did Alaska, so maybe that’s why it felt more casual.  Would definitely cruise with them again.

Must be location because you cant go more casual then carnival swim suit in mdr .  Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our main cruise line is Princess ("the love boat!").  We also have sailed on Carnival and RCL.  For those that are not into water parks, roller coasters etc and lot of rug rats running around, Princess is a choice.  I have been looking at Celebrity as our next adventure as I have heard a lot of nice comments about it.  Seems it is more like Princess, and HAL.  Our goal is to spend our IRA before our kids get it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, groundloop said:

Since I've retired we've been doing a lot of cruising (might as well spend the IRA before the kids get it 😄 ), almost exclusively on Carnival. 

We did an Alaska cruise this summer on Holland America, and to me there were a few things that I like better about HA and there were a few things I liked better about Carnival.

I'm thinking it's time to look at other cruise lines to see what we think of them. We've always book at least a balcony cabin, I like Carnival's shows (except for the fact that there are only a limited number of different shows across the fleet and I seem to have seen them all at least a couple of times now), in general I don't have any complaints about the food on Carnival, and I prefer a somewhat more casual atmosphere.

For those of you that have cruised other lines as well as Carnival, what are your thoughts?

HAL is designed for a much older clientele.  Royal and CArnival have way more in common that difference, but if you are thinking you should venture out, than sounds like an. Option to consider.  I cannot think of a more casual atmosphere than Carnival.  

16 minutes ago, HugeWaves said:

Princess definitely has better food. Royal has classier ships

I was talking to a passenger on our last cruise who was sailing with Carnival again, who usually sails with Princess, because the crowd was just too old for her and her husband. She was a mature lady herself and said she was tired of all the walkers and wheelchairs and the fact that the ships were low energy and everything died out early. It was her first cruise back in 10 years and she liked the energy on the Carnival ship and was enjoying herself. It was an interesting discussion because I've been wanting to do some Princess cruising but I'd be disappointed if it were a sleepy cruise, not a lot of families and a nice mix of all ages, made me appreciate Carnival a bit more lol. Sure, it's gets a little crazy sometimes but it's certainly a fun and interesting crowd. People always talk like it's just crappy food, people fighting all over the place, people throwing up everywhere and a ship full of drunken zombies. I don't understand the hate and feel much of it is unfair, Royal may have classier ships but the pool of passengers is much the same.      

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I was talking to a passenger on our last cruise who was sailing with Carnival again, who usually sails with Princess, because the crowd was just too old for her and her husband. She was a mature lady herself and said she was tired of all the walkers and wheelchairs and the fact that the ships were low energy and everything died out early. It was her first cruise back in 10 years and she liked the energy on the Carnival ship and was enjoying herself. It was an interesting discussion because I've been wanting to do some Princess cruising but I'd be disappointed if it were a sleepy cruise, not a lot of families and a nice mix of all ages, made me appreciate Carnival a bit more lol. Sure, it's gets a little crazy sometimes but it's certainly a fun and interesting crowd. People always talk like it's just crappy food, people fighting all over the place, people throwing up everywhere and a ship full of drunken zombies. I don't understand the hate and feel much of it is unfair, Royal may have classier ships but the pool of passengers is much the same.      

I did Princess to Hawaii, 1/22.  Admittedly, we were just coming out of Covid.  The ship was about 45% full. The food and customer service was very good, but the average age was ancient and I am in my early 70’s.  There were next to no activities.  I will be going on the Celebration over New Years with grandchildren.  They would have been so bored on the Princess.  It will be my second Carnival and I will be most disappointed if the food isn’t very good.  Although Carnival may be less that others, this is far from cheap!

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I meant in general.  How does one notch below in age?  

I think you have to consider what's still in working order.

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I have traveled most on Carnival, because I can drive to the port, and afford them.  But I also like Celebrity, Princess, HAL, MSC.  Also three on Cunard, one Oceania and one Crystal.  I suggest try Princess, Celebrity, MSC.  EM

Could you compare entertainment, food. Stewart services?

2 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

I don't think it matters which cruise line you try next.  You sound easy to please.  Have you thought about a river cruise?  I've never been on one, but our dear friends (both in early 60's) just got back from a European river cruise with Viking and had the time of their lives.  They posted pictures and videos  as they traveled,  and now dh and I are dying to go.  If we didn't have a cruise already booked for November....

That being said,  we're about to try our first Celebrity cruise after several Carnival cruises.  I've been frequenting the Celebrity boards on CC and the FB pages for several months.  It seems to me, a lot of Carnival and RC passengers wind up on Celebrity ships and love it.  I get the impression many make the switch for better food,  slightly more mature company and a more sedate shipboard experience.   I'm looking forward to better food, and I wouldn't object if  it was true that generally the people are better mannered, but I don't know if I'll like the vibe as much.  Even though I don't partake of the partying and drinking , I like the energetic and festive mood on Carnival.   And the people, there's nothing as interesting as the mix of people on a Carnival cruise. 

I think this post is right on point. . . I would say RCI or NCL are the obvious next choices for this poster, and as someone who seems not terribly picky, they would likely enjoy the things that these lines do a little better than Carnival. 

I also agree Celebrity is a good next step up from the big 3, with pricing that is not too high up in the stratosphere but overall good value for an upgraded atmosphere without getting too senior-focused or stuffy.  I haven't tried but Virgin Voyages might be a good option as well. 

Entertainment on MSC is mostly musical, no comedy as your fellow guests may be more than 40% non native English speakers.  We find it very good.  Food is very subjective, but we never went hungry.  Only once on HAL did I have to go to the buffet after dinner.  My preference would be to try Celebrity or MSC.  I think you would be disappointed in the smallness of cabins on Princess.  EM