The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 24th, 2022

richwmn

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Rabbit Day

One year during my teaching career, my co-teacher had a rabbit as one of the classroom pets. This was a classroom of children that had been diagnosed with Severe Behavior Disorders. All of the children were angles compared to that rabbit. He got named BD (for behavior disorder). BD chewed anything with wood or plastic. Electrical and computer cords, floor molding, desks, cupboards, etc. That wasn't the worst of it though. BD liked to mark his territory by leaping into the air and shooting a sticky liquid at whatever he fancied; and he really fancied the other teacher. The kids loved it and found this behavior to be quite humorous. The other teacher, not so much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

@cat shepard I have to confess that I had never heard of a Clef du Vin.  And, I am not exactly a wine newbie--my legal wine consumption can be traced back to a Lancer's Rose on April 19, 1969.  Anyway, Google resolved my curiosity.

We moved into our current house in 1987.  We stopped buying live Christmas trees decades ago, but in the first few years of our Diamond Bar experience we planted four of them on the slope between us and our neighbor.  One did not survive.  Three did.  Those three have cost me a considerable amount of money and have benefited multiple tree servicers.  This is the time of year when I make sure that the Santa Ana Winds can blow through those evergreens.  So, a call to Fidel worked, and trees are being serviced.

Christmaas trees.

IMG_9410.jpg.f00d70cc31f223e31df8ffb991a5b79a.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg.b1ab7cac684b7eab3d05d49d9fddad78.jpg

By the time I took these pics, they had done a lot of work.  So, you can see a lot of light coming through the branches.  When they started, you could not.

We also had some work on Queen Palms.

IMG_9402.thumb.jpg.1f4b20e432cadae8e641e047e21b0c1e.jpg

Actually, one of the Queen Palms was diseased, and we had them remove it.  I thought this view of Fidel with the corpse of the palm over his shoulder was pretty funny.

IMG_9400.thumb.jpg.45454e2436d3dd99fd92bc616a9b2796.jpg

We also had them shape a wildly overgrown Pittosporum and thin out a Jacaranda.

We have not been able to cruise, lately, because of a domestic issue.  However, the plus side of that is that I can afford to have this tree work done.  😃

• Like 25

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Hopefully my knee performs well enough for our upcoming trip next month.

Oh dear on your knee 😢. I hope the treatment works and you can enjoy your trip next month.  I’m working on your name tag for the cruise 😉 

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We are supposed to fly to Barbados on Oct. 3 out of Jax and then MIA.  Not sure if that is going to happen at this point. This anniversary trip seems doomed.

I hope that hurricane veers off and you can take your much needed trip 🤞 

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

My father-in-law’s funeral is on Tuesday.  It is a 4 hr drive, each way (by myself), but I need to attend.  My flight leaves Wednesday and I am scrambling trying to reschedule appointments.

That’s a long drive - especially alone 😔 Very safe travels to you coming and going.  And good luck on the scramble and getting that flight without too much stress 🤞 

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

@kazu glad you seem to be weathering the storm.  Hope it passes all without too much damage.  

Thanks - have heard 2 big bangs - one on the garage side and one in the family room.  Ventured out for a few minutes when the winds weren’t so heavy (what a mess).  Looks like a big branch hit the window and siding.  I don’t think the window is broken but I will wait until it is quieter outside to check it out.

Can’t see what hit the family room wall through the window and I am not trying to walk on that slippery grassy hill to find out in the wind.  I’ll wait.

Love your pic!

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu I'm glad you are ok and prepared. I hope your trees stay upright! I play the furnace game too, but since I'm always cold I use a supplemental small heater.

I have a small portable heater up here too and use it.  Plus if we lost power, I’d need it for heat 😉 

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I was glad to see you are weatherimg the storm safely.  I hope no trees fall during the storm.   I'm also thinking about the Maritime provinces and all the ships being affected by the storm.

All the ships were ordered out of every Maritime port some time ago so they could find safer waters - even the cargo ships.  I think they had enough notice to be well away from the storm.

Cruise ships are supposed to be back here on Monday.  Hopefully those going to Halifax are diverted due to the mess.  I doubt there will be any stops in PEI.  There are trees down here (none of mine thankfully) so I’m not sure how that will affect the cruise ships.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And uh oh!  I texted DS to wish Ren good luck and he says Ren is sick today so he doesn't know how well he will play.  Covid negative, strep negative.  I hope the other boys are raring to go because their high scorer is not in tip top shape!

Oh no!  Poor Ren.  Glad he doesn’t have covid but sorry to hear this.  I hope he is feeling better soon and his team can make up for it to take the pressure off 🤞 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Checking in for the afternoon with a question from my knowledgeable Daily-ites.

I'm thinking of ordering an Amazon Fire 8" for DH to use on the ship - now the question, would that be able to connect to the internet so he can read our daily newspaper and his Economist e-magazine?  

I've got my iPad mini that I'll be using because I've got a boatload (pardon the pun) of books downloaded on it to keep me busy and happy during the trans-Atlantic portion of our cruise, and being selfish, I don't want to have to share it with him.

Help?

Gerry

• Like 7

Ever have one of those shopping trips where you end up wondering why you even went out?  Anyway, I was stopped behind a car with the following bumper sticker:

Do you follow Jesus this close?

😂

@ger_77, I don’t have an Amazon Fire tablet but I have a Fire TV and you can access all kinds of apps, including your Amazon Prime account, so you can definitely access the internet.  I don’t use it for anything but the cable channels because I can set the timer and fall asleep.  (It’s in the bedroom.)

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 12

27 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Checking in for the afternoon with a question from my knowledgeable Daily-ites.

I'm thinking of ordering an Amazon Fire 8" for DH to use on the ship - now the question, would that be able to connect to the internet so he can read our daily newspaper and his Economist e-magazine?  

I've got my iPad mini that I'll be using because I've got a boatload (pardon the pun) of books downloaded on it to keep me busy and happy during the trans-Atlantic portion of our cruise, and being selfish, I don't want to have to share it with him.

Help?

Gerry

Gerry he should be able to access books, movies, music, as well as news feeds.

Joy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Yes. I have one and have used it that way. It's not as fast as the iPad mini -- pages are slower to display -- but it works well enough.

• Like 7

Thanks @Seasick Sailor and @kochleffelthat's the confirmation I needed - I just placed an order for one.  Speed really isn't an issue, as he's not very technologically savvy . . . as he puts it, he's still rubbing sticks together to make fire.  LOL

Thanks again,

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Screenshot_20220924-103955.thumb.png.558fb4c9899dbc60852b91cb8fa33302.png

Found this website. It has interactive views of Fiona plus many live view webcams situated around the area.

https://www.windy.com/?46.225,-63.105,5

And, scrolling many miles further SW, you can see Ian's development.

-M.

wow I was just in Sydney on Thursday 22nd, and they were very worried about the pending storm.

Had a nice bus tour and our ship sailing at 2pm and really went top speed for almost 24 hours.

We rocked and rolled for about a half day on Friday but I sat in bed for the worst of it.

toodles

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Haven’t seen Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel roaming around our beaches which is always a good sign we are not in the forecasted path! One never knows!

With all of Florida counties now under a State of Emergency, with almost the entire state falling within Ian's cone of uncertainty, and The Weather Channel suspending regular programming to report on Ian, we'll likely see Cantore on somebody's beach very, very soon.

Stay safe all...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know, there have been no more covid cases in the synagogue. It's still possible that some, probably much-vaccinated, have such mild cases that they haven't tested, but I'm less worried than I was.

Our rabbi has family in Nova Scotia and received a first-hand report from them, but I don't know details. Years ago I stayed in a cottage on Cape Split on the Bay of Fundy but I've heard nothing from the owner.

There are lots of wild rabbits here and I suspect that the Junior Cat would hunt them if I let her. She likes fish but would want someone to catch them for her, because she would hate getting her paws wet. She has no opinion about Cherries Jubilee, but I would like some.

796462625_talkingtopets.jpg.95f4bfba53c1a86bb907084be43556dc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

As far as I know, there have been no more covid cases in the synagogue. It's still possible that some, probably much-vaccinated, have such mild cases that they haven't tested, but I'm less worried than I was.

Our rabbi has family in Nova Scotia and received a first-hand report from them, but I don't know details. Years ago I stayed in a cottage on Cape Split on the Bay of Fundy but I've heard nothing from the owner.

There are lots of wild rabbits here and I suspect that the Junior Cat would hunt them if I let her. She likes fish but would want someone to catch them for her, because she would hate getting her paws wet. She has no opinion about Cherries Jubilee, but I would like some.

796462625_talkingtopets.jpg.95f4bfba53c1a86bb907084be43556dc.jpg

Rosh Hashanah.

Shanah Tovah.

• Like 4

Thanks Rich. On NS now. Our sail time was adjusted to 2pm today. I think there is some sizable whale migration in the St Lawrence River and estuary so that requires us to slow down, hence the extra couple hours. 

Ship is lovely. The crew are as precious as ever. We have eaten ourselves silly. Fantastic musicians this cruise. All the music walk venues were hopping last night and even quite a bit of dancing. We are having another short adventure in Quebec today before we say goodbye. She has to be one of Canada's most beautiful cities. Such a treasure!! 

IMG_20220923_175112246_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220923_163353207_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220924_130714076_HDR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1