The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 25th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Rosh Hashanah, World Deaf Day, and National Comic Book Day

Never memorize something that you can look up.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - pasta smoked mozz
Drink of the Day - Lion And The Lamb
Wine of the Day - Alonso del Yerro 2016 Maria (Ribera del Duero)
Destination of the Day - Monterey, California, US

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/26

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/26

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Statendam

Quebec City, Canada

Noordam

Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz 09:00 - 23:59

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Hvar Island, Hvar, Croatia 10:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

0925World.thumb.png.912e68632742ec4ec2cc642265080315.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Happy new year to our Jewish friends.

Shanah Tovah.

It is currently 55°F and cloudy here in North East England at 11.45am.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

I had a hearing test last week and it showed a slight deafness at high pitch sounds.

I have constant Tinnitus too.

My sympathies for anyone who is totally deaf.

Einstein's quote was ahead of his time especially now with the internet.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have sailed from San Francisco but never been to Monterey.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25

Good morning everyone.  Happy Rosh Hashanah, World Deaf Day and Comic Book Day.  I can’t remember the last time that I read one.  You can look up most anything now in which case I wouldn’t have to memorize anything 😄.  I’ll have to wait on the meal and drink until I find out what they are.  I went to a wedding in Monterey years ago, lovely place.  Prayers for all on our list and for everyone affected by the passing and oncoming storms.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Happy New Year.   It's important to remember that not everyone can hear, or hear well.  I haven't read a comic book in years.

I can't say that I agree with the quote, although I can look up almost anything, I think it's important to remember things and not look them up (my phone number for example).

The meal sounds good, we love pasta.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone in the wake of Fiona.  Hope @kazuis okay.

Stay safe.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. 

It was dark when Bindi and I went out this morning. She is not a fan. Off to the gym & then grocery shopping. I need to catch up on yesterday’s Daily, too. Praying that @kazuis well and with power & no damage. Ooh and catch up what is the latest news on hurricane Ian. 

Some days - usually when something that used to be easy to do in my youth, is a bit tougher now - I feel this way.

01DADF2F-B2A3-45F4-868F-E1936C91B0DB.jpeg.9021c0c010375b17df75582fd5616bae.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Alonso del Yerro 2016 Maria (Ribera del Duero)

This Spanish red sounds amazing. I tend to gravitate towards blackberry notes. Critics and consumers are fans. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $29.98.

95 Wine Enthusiast 

Smooth, lightly creamy aromas of blackberry and cassis are softened and sweetened by pastry notes, making this superb Tinto Fino smell mature beyond its years. On the palate, this is focused and acid-driven, with a familiar combination of blackberry, cassis and toasty oak flavors. The finish is slightly dry and tannic, so give this plenty of air if drinking now or hold through 2032

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

Good morning to all

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report

Happy Rosh Hashanah to our friends of the Jewish Faith.  

I recognize those who are hearing impaired and respect their challenges in life.

I have not read a comic book in many years.

The meal, pasta with smoke mozzarella sounds wonderful.  I would love to have some.  Not sure I can make that happen where I am right now.

Pass on the drink but maybe can find the wine if the price is right.

I like the quote but there are some things we should remember.

Thank you to @grapau27Graham for Father David’s sermon.  It is always something to look forward to on Sunday mornings. Glad you and Pauline had a nice cruise for your anniversary.

Our agenda for the day is to get some things done around here in the condo so that in the event we have to evacuate (we are on one of the sea islands in SC) we are ready to go.  We think we may want to go back to our house and try to stay there for the remainder of the week and make the best of it.  It is strange to say it, but we feel safer there during a hurricane than where we are staying right now.  It may also allow us to get to Jacksonville on Sunday for our flight out on Mon. Oct. 3.  

At this point we are unsure of whether there will be flights available.  I guess we will have to wait and see.  

Prayers for all on the cares list.  By the way, Roy, you may take us off the list.  Our situation is what it is.  Flooding and its after effects is serious but at this point, it is what it is.  Jim and I appreciate everyone’s prayers and support and I know it will continue.  There are others who are suffering a lot more than we are. I will continue to post updates on the house repair progress.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful time.

Prayers to all in the path of the storm.  @kazu I hope you have survived Fiona.  And to our friends in Florida and the Gulf Coast with the approach of Ian.

Have a good Sunday and as always,

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich, and the sermon of the day, Graham.  Wishing a Happy New Year to our Jewish friends and support for our Deaf community.  I used to love Comic Books but haven't read one in years.  Thinking of @kazu and a relative near Halifax today.  I think we need a balance between knowing things and being ready too look them up, but there are times in life (such as while at the wheel of a car) where you really need to know to be safe.  I have not been to Monterey.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Berry and Chia Seed Soup, Turkey Scallopini, and Banana Crisp as served on MS Oosterdam September 25, 2017.

dishes25.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
Camila dad at sea
Western wildfires  and those in Fiona’s wake
Threat from Ian
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Ren not feeling well
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB with cruise passengers
6 days for Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
4 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
0106 covering menus for dfish
Welcome home Norseh2o, Oceansaway17, and Vict0riann
fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Happy New Year - Rosh Hashanah to all who celebrate

0DDF2570-4C68-45DD-B3AB-D3F768906982.gif.a2d5ff61db38eb3688ac896661ac3c1e.gif

Nice to see a day for the deaf and comic books are still enjoyed by some.  LOL on the Einsteen quote. 

Well, the storm kept me in yesterday so I decided to make the most of it - clean up or cruise stuff?  Guess what won?  Yup, I finished all the name tags for our Meet and Greet 👍 all 115 of them.  I felt pretty good about that although it took the entire day to finish them so no cleaning 😂 

Looks like I have a heavy day ahead of me cleaning up.  It’s not going to be a 5 minute job. 😬. But, at least I don’t have to deal with this…

5F3648C1-72A5-4324-94A8-37304B83D97C.thumb.jpeg.80437d418a34d033d00f652bd09589f1.jpeg

A lot of trees down around here.  Thankfully, I believe all mine are good although I will check and possibly have my tree guy over to do a check and some more crowning if needed when he becomes available.  I know one thing, I will need an adult beverage when I finally get the clean up done.

AF043EAD-BC26-43CA-BCFA-4B37911083D7.jpeg.51ec71bb1cbd26b10211cfd081f77b19.jpeg

However, I am grateful that we are not in Port aux Basques where homes were swallowed by the ocean, in PEI and other parts of New Brunswick & Nova Scotia.  Fiona was definitely the worst storm ever and has wreaked havoc, destroying towns and leaving destruction in it’s wake.

F899168A-BA77-4B0D-BEC3-87A353A57126.jpeg.1aa7cc2786b1a0a3ee7c056e62ed93c0.jpeg

I honestly don’t know if cruises with PEI / Cape Breton on their itinerary are going to be able stop in the near future. They are not sure how long it will take to clean up and many are without power -  95% of PEI is without power.  Many states of emergency declared and the army is on the way to help with the worst hit communities.

It sounds like Ian’s cone of uncertainty has grown.  Hopefully it veers off away from everyone 🙏🏻  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!!

9DEB10CF-2654-49A7-AE93-9358998CA1AE.jpeg.48e7e971d05f537edc20e40ea2d1e34d.jpeg

Stay safe, prepare if you are in Ian’s path & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Mozzarella cheese is made by kneading cheese curds from either cow's milk or water buffalo milk in a vat of hot water. In some cases, whey is used instead of hot water. Kneading the curds, also called spinning or stringing, makes the resulting cheese elastic and smooth. After the mozzarella is produced, it is shaped into a ball and chilled with cold water. Unlike other cheeses, mozzarella is not aged and takes only a few hours to make.

Once the mozzarella cheese is made, it can be smoked. Smoked mozzarella can be made by setting the cheese in a chamber with smoking wood chips. There are generally two ways to smoke using wood chips, a hot and a cold way. The cold method is preferable for producing any type of smoked cheese.

Another method of producing smoked mozzarella doesn't involve wood chips or smoking at all. In some instances, the cheese will be painted on the outside with a liquid form of smoke. Other manufacturers may add the liquid smoke flavor to the milk before the mozzarella is made. While smoked mozzarella produced in a smoker or by painting the exterior with liquid smoke isn't uniformly flavored, adding liquid smoke to the milk before making the cheese means the entire piece of cheese will have a smoky flavor.

Smoked mozzarella cheese can be used anywhere regular mozzarella is used if a smoky flavor is preferred. It goes well in pasta dishes or on top of pizza. The cheese pairs well with tomatoes and pesto in a sandwich too.

Make this Baked Rigatoni with Smoked Mozzarella recipe when you want a special meal but don't have time for lasagna. This family favorite can be ready in 45 minutes and is vegetarian.  https://cookingwithmammac.com/pasta-al-forno-with-smoked-mozzarella/

serving spoonful of cheesy pasta from the pan

Looking for a recipe to take to your next backyard BBQ? This Spinach Smoked Mozzarella Pasta Salad Whole Foods Copycat Recipe is mentioned on several different websites. Tender spinach and smoky cheese in a creamy parmesan sauce.  https://madeinaday.com/spinach-smoked-mozzarella-pasta-salad/

Spinach with Smoked Mozzarella Pasta Salad, parmesan dressing, whole foods pasta salad recipe, Spinach pasta salad,

This recipe from Giada de Laurentiis is a bit lighter and includes asparagus. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/spaghetti-with-asparagus-smoked-mozzarella-and-prosciutto-recipe-1942047

1371584031933.jpeg

This is a simplified saltimbocca using smoked mozzarella and chicken with pasta on the side. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/smoked-mozzarella-chicken-with-pasta/

Smoked Mozzarella Chicken with Pasta

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Fire activity on the Bolt Creek Fire has been quieter the past 24 hours. It is expected to flare up again and begin moving faster over the next three days as RH decreases and temperatures get up into the 80's all three days. Highway 2 is opened now, so we have access to services to the west again.

These pictures are from yesterday and last night:

1281303527_quietfire2.thumb.jpg.c10ccba2b8add8312f217786139dc80e.jpg

1146901126_quietfire1.thumb.jpg.441f5646d46dba83c33a6b7ec90cd621.jpg

871670595_quietfire3.thumb.jpg.ac1ebc0f326bc8bd808301f639290aef.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report. Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good.  Thank you @0106for the pictures and recipes.  I like today’s quote and is my excuse for not knowing my cell phone number.   The pictures from Newfoundland show how destructive Fiona was.  I hope that no one was hurt.  Hopefully the pharmacy will be open and I can get my flu shot this morning. I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 28

Good morning. Happy Rosh Hashanah to our Jewish friends. Well, 24 hours has us looking at different forecast this morning. We are now in the zone for a possible visit from what will become Hurricane Ian. We are not in a evacuation zone but not sure we would ride it out if it becomes a Cat 5 and we were in a direct path. Sure won’t be our first or last. 
Need to get ready for church services. We visited Monterey last November on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise so maybe some pics later.

Do hope all our Canadian friends in the Maritimes faired OK and with minimal damage.

Have a great Sunday and thanks for the Reports!

Bruce

• Like 29

Good morning friends!  It was a chilly 55F and cloudy earlier this morning but the sun will come out later and we will have a high of 83.  I'm sorry to hear of the damages from Hurricane Fiona.  I hope everyone is safe even though there was extensive damage in some spots.  And I'm hoping Ian doesn't develop into a dangerous category for our Florida and Gulf coast residents.🤞

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  It was fun watching Volendam finally leave Trieste yesterday.  Happy Rosh Hashanah to all celebrating!  A salute for World Deaf Day, but comic books are something I haven't thought about much in the past 65 years.  The quote is true and thank goodness for the internet to look up all the answers.  At first I wondered what mozz was but am happy to see it's smoked mozzarella which sounds great.  Thanks to Tina @0106for the recipes and photos. Today's port is Monterey which was our port Dec. 1, 2021.  I'm pretty sure I haven't been to Monterey, though when we lived in Northern California we did drive along the Pacific Coast Highway once on our way back from a Southern California trip to see DH's uncle.  A good way to get car sick!  Here is a link to Rich's post Dec. 1 in case you want to retrieve your photos.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Thanks for including Ren not feeling well, but I would think he will recover this week from his virus.  He is resting up today after running up and down the field for the entire 90 minute game yesterday.  I hear the other team was terrific and the Jaguars did not play very well.  They lost 4 to 1.  Sad, but you win some and you lose some!   So Ren can come off the list tomorrow.  Prayers for all on the Care list and cheers to the Celebration list.

Jacqui @kazuI'm glad you were not hit badly by the storm and finished your name tags.  You deserved a glass or two of wine!  Terri @Cruzin Terrigood to hear you have a plan and are preparing for evacuation.  I would bet you will be able to fly out of Jacksonville next Monday.  I hope Debbie @dfishhas seen some success in her house hunting this weekend.  And thanks to Graham @grapau27for posting Father David's sermon today.

Have a blessed Sunday!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning  to  all. Camilla's Dad( my great nephew) managed to contact family and assured  everyone  that the fishing boat and crew are ok.He did say that the waves were enormous. I am not sure when  he gets to land again.

@0106,Tina, thanks for the recipes.I am going to try the baked rigatoni  recipe later.

DH is not deaf but his hearing is severely  impaired.Hearing aids help but not a great deal.

I would love to go to Monterey!

My DGS told me yesterday that he is upset that the potential  storm bears his name.The Canadian storm pictures are frightening. I hope somehow the Ian storm is lessened in some way.

Terry

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  So much weather news on the TV this morning, I wanted to sleep later, but have you ever noticed that the older you get, the more it hurts to lie in bed?  I need an automatic flipper to turn me constantly so that I dont hurt when i wake up.  My morning highlight is that the coffee i am drinking is coffee from the Dominican Republic that we picked up while we were there.

Albert Einstein said that if we tried to remember everything, we wouldn't leave space in our brains to learn more.  Some things are not worth remembering, so we can look them up.  Because I change campaigns every few months, sometimes weeks, I learn all I can, keep all the paperwork close to me when calling, and when the campaign ends, I collect all the material for it, and dump it in a box.  And forget it!  Otherwise I will confuse one company with another.  I might end up selling Christmas concerts for a theatre group.

@kazuIt's great to hear from you today, and what a productive day you had yesterday!  I am glad that you are safe and sound.

@grapau27Thank you for bringing Father David to us every Sunday.  He does give my heart and soul good.  If you talk to him this week, tell him I hope his nose is not giving him too much pain.

I have a question for all who have done transatlantic cruising. I did it as a child, but don't remember.  When you start a cruise you are on ship time, which is usually the time in the port that you are leaving from.  But if you keep on that time, then when you get back to the states, then you are eating dinner six hours later?  In other words, do the ships change the time daily as you head west?  Chuck and I would love to know the answer on this.

594f99774624fa3fac829397c0c4eac5.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

The Lion and The Lamb cocktail:

Ingredients
1 3/4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
3/4 parts Lime Juice
1/2 part Orgeat Syrup
1/4 part St Elizabeth Allspice Dram
2 dashes Bitters
Garnish Lime And Cherry Flag

Instructions
Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass or over ice. Garnish with a lime and cherry flag.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.34.05 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich, and the sermon of the day, Graham.  Wishing a Happy New Year to our Jewish friends and support for our Deaf community.  I used to love Comic Books but haven't read one in years.  Thinking of @kazu and a relative near Halifax today.  I think we need a balance between knowing things and being ready too look them up, but there are times in life (such as while at the wheel of a car) where you really need to know to be safe.  I have not been to Monterey.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Berry and Chia Seed Soup, Turkey Scallopini, and Banana Crisp as served on MS Oosterdam September 25, 2017.

dishes25.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
Camila dad at sea
Western wildfires  and those in Fiona’s wake
Threat from Ian
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Ren not feeling well
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB with cruise passengers
6 days for Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
4 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
0106 covering menus for dfish
Welcome home Norseh2o, Oceansaway17, and Vict0riann
fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for mentioning Father David.

Your food choices look tasty.

Graham.

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report. Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good.  Thank you @0106for the pictures and recipes.  I like today’s quote and is my excuse for not knowing my cell phone number.   The pictures from Newfoundland show how destructive Fiona was.  I hope that no one was hurt.  Hopefully the pharmacy will be open and I can get my flu shot this morning. I hope that everyone has a good day today.

Going to get my second shingles shot and our flu shots tomorrow.

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  So much weather news on the TV this morning, I wanted to sleep later, but have you ever noticed that the older you get, the more it hurts to lie in bed?  I need an automatic flipper to turn me constantly so that I dont hurt when i wake up.  My morning highlight is that the coffee i am drinking is coffee from the Dominican Republic that we picked up while we were there.

Albert Einstein said that if we tried to remember everything, we wouldn't leave space in our brains to learn more.  Some things are not worth remembering, so we can look them up.  Because I change campaigns every few months, sometimes weeks, I learn all I can, keep all the paperwork close to me when calling, and when the campaign ends, I collect all the material for it, and dump it in a box.  And forget it!  Otherwise I will confuse one company with another.  I might end up selling Christmas concerts for a theatre group.

@kazuIt's great to hear from you today, and what a productive day you had yesterday!  I am glad that you are safe and sound.

@grapau27Thank you for bringing Father David to us every Sunday.  He does give my heart and soul good.  If you talk to him this week, tell him I hope his nose is not giving him too much pain.

I have a question for all who have done transatlantic cruising. I did it as a child, but don't remember.  When you start a cruise you are on ship time, which is usually the time in the port that you are leaving from.  But if you keep on that time, then when you get back to the states, then you are eating dinner six hours later?  In other words, do the ships change the time daily as you head west?  Chuck and I would love to know the answer on this.

594f99774624fa3fac829397c0c4eac5.jpg

Thank you.

Father David had a spot on the side of his nose and he has had a biopsy done so we are all praying that it is nothing serious.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2