The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 26th, 2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Yes, I took French in school (and German and Latin) but I've forgotten most of it.  So I don't consider that I know enough of another language.  I guess I could have fibbed, but no one ever does that on the internet.😁

My late grandmother was Italian but I only know a few Italian words.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

And, there he is...

IMG_20220926_073842382.thumb.jpg.7f436724da949da2f476e91ac1e3aab9.jpg

Stay safe all,

-M.

Is this the Storm Finder guy?

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my gosh!  Do you know what works on removing gum from hair?  Peanut butter!  I've heard you just rub the gum with peanut butter, and it breaks it up enough to work it out of the hair.  May have to go several passes on it but better than cutting it out.  No I will not test that hack!

Yes! Peanut butter or peanut oil works. It turns gum into a sort of thick liquid that unsticks from what it is attached to.

Years ago when I worked as a hostess in a restaurant, I had down time and would clean my station, and one day went into the kitchen and asked the cook for a bit of peanut oil- which they gave me. I used it to help scrape gum off the floor tiles. The dried on black globs of gum came off with the oil. The owner “caught” me, and asked what I was doing. He was really happy, and some time after that I noticed my hourly pay went up. He never said anything, and I didn’t notice for awhile. ( I just didn’t do the math to confirm my paycheck.)

• Like 25

My non-hype local weather guru who follows NOAA and NHC faithfully posted the chart below. But it stops at Thursday. So not sure about the Panhandle area, @aliaschief, Bruce. Hope the storm follows the Euro model, that will help you. 

Rain is a major factor and storm surge.  And even winds that are tropical storm strength can down trees whose roots are weakened by so much rain. Right now they are calling for 6 - 12 inches where I live. Just in time for me not to have to add water to the pool. 

When you look at the chart below, note the Tampa area has a horrific potential for flooding - the folk on the Coast are under a mandatory evacuation. Storm surge is a major concern. Inland areas are under a voluntary one. @StLouisCruisers, Sandi hope your DGD is inland. 

Note the small area of orange on the East Coast. Charlene, @cunnorland I live in that area. I am at least three miles inland & my weather guru states, I may not even have to worry about the winds, because I am inland and not in the middle of a field. 
Charlene is on the coast. 

And there are other Dailyites in the Southern part of the state that are also in areas of major concern. @summer slope, Dixie stay well. 

70EA9929-5584-4EF2-80BB-D6BAB9F12F23.jpeg.ca0ce7957b4a7b96e78887605e8e1843.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 10

5 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Is this the Storm Finder guy?

Yes! Peanut butter or peanut oil works. It turns gum into a sort of thick liquid that unsticks from what it is attached to.

Years ago when I worked as a hostess in a restaurant, I had down time and would clean my station, and one day went into the kitchen and asked the cook for a bit of peanut oil- which they gave me. I used it to help scrape gum off the floor tiles. The dried on black globs of gum came off with the oil. The owner “caught” me, and asked what I was doing. He was really happy, and some time after that I noticed my hourly pay went up. He never said anything, and I didn’t notice for awhile. ( I just didn’t do the math to confirm my paycheck.)

That is the storm guy Jim Cantore!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone!

I am safely home from our whirlwind house hunting trip.  Thank you to @0106 Tina for stepping in for me.  I do appreciate that.  I'm sorry for everyone experiencing health woes - I'll catch up tomorrow and be specific, but I wish everyone a speedy recovery.  @kazu Jacqui, I'm glad to hear you weathered the storm.  

We saw 5 different houses.   The two that were right in our price range were quickly eliminated.  One already had offers and would certainly go over asking and I wasn't willing to pay that much for it.  The furnace was quite old and would need replacing soon.  The windows were old and most likely a great source of heat loss. All the appliances were old and needed replacing.  The third bedroom had room for a crib and not much else.   No where to put guests. The fireplace didn't work and needed repairs. And the laundry was in the basement.  

The other one had a lovely yard, but the house was pretty much a dump.  The kitchen was a gut job, there was no dining area, you had to walk through the furnace room to get to the bathroom, one of the bedrooms was locked and we couldn't see it and the there was no bathroom upstairs where the other two bedrooms were.  It was quickly scratched off the list.  

Next we went to a nice ranch home.  The layout was kind of quirky.  The living room was really small and the dining room was huge.  The basement was mainly finished off and had a nice big family room.  Laundry was in the basement.  It has been on the market for a while now as it is over priced.  

Then we saw one that is again overpriced for location and what you get.  It is located near the highway and the noise from the highway was constant.  You wouldn't be able to open windows in the summer because of the noise. The kitchen was way too small.   It did have a main floor laundry, but the highway noise was a deal breaker.   You might as well sit in the median and watch the cars whizz by.

The last one was multi level, but stairs were limited in number at any one time.  There is plenty of space.  In fact Sue decided she would like to take the bottom floor for her bedroom and there is a space close by for her art studio.  There is also a bedroom down there for guests.  And, of course, the laundry is down there.  I'll just throw it down to Sue.  There was a nice large family room off the kitchen and the dining room was great with built ins.  This is the one we decided to make an offer for.  We are waiting to hear back.  I'm sure they'll counter with a higher price.   We're a little hesitant because there was an earlier offer and it was withdrawn after 9 days and the house came back on the market.  We are curious as to why.  

I'm hoping the negotiations on this house go a bit more quickly than the drag out rejection of the other house.  We shall see.  

Meanwhile, time to start getting ready for my cruise.   I timed this well, didn't I?

Debbie

I hope this one works out. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My non-hype local weather guru who follows NOAA and NHC faithfully posted the chart below. But it stops at Thursday. So not sure about the Panhandle area, @aliaschief, Bruce. Hope the storm follows the Euro model, that will help you. 

Rain is a major factor and storm surge.  And even winds that are tropical storm strength can down trees whose roots are weakened by so much rain. Right now they are calling for 6 - 12 inches where I live. Just in time for me not to have to add water to the pool. 

When you look at the chart below, note the Tampa area has a horrific potential for flooding - the folk on the Coast are under a mandatory evacuation. Inland is under a voluntary one. @StLouisCruisers, Sandi hope your DGD is inland. 

Note the small area of orange on the East Coast. Charlene, @cunnorland I live in that area. I am at least three miles inland & my weather guru states, I may not even have to worry about the winds, because I am inland and not in the middle of a field. 

And there are other Dailyites in the Southern part of the state that are also in areas of major concern. @summer slope, Dixie stay well. 

We have a cold front coming and I’m feeling confident we are not going to get the brunt of this but one never knows. Went to exchange my empty propane for a new one and they were sold out. Present tank on grill has enough for a week of cooking plus we have a gas stove.

Not looking good around Tampa.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14

Debbie @dfishthe home sounds like it's a split level home with short spans of stairs going to the different levels, not a full flight of stairs to take at one time.  Like you said, if you have that arrangement in your current home, you are used to that configuration and hopefully it will be many years before you decide you need to go to assisted living.  

One day I was looking up information online on some of our past homes and was surprised to see our second home in Midland was apparently converted from a 3 bed 2 bath home to a 2 bed 4 bath home.  Seemed like a strange thing to do.  But even the county assessor's office site showed that.  I'm trying to figure out why a house of that size (1500 sq. ft.) needed 4 bathrooms!  Wish I could see listing photos on that house but it last sold in June 2021 and I missed seeing the photos.

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

When you look at the chart below, note the Tampa area has a horrific potential for flooding - the folk on the Coast are under a mandatory evacuation. Storm surge is a major concern. Inland areas are under a voluntary one. @StLouisCruisers, Sandi hope your DGD is inland. 

Ann she's in downtown Tampa in an apartment on Fletcher across the street from University of South Florida Tampa.  I'm wondering if she has to evacuate?  I haven't bothered her, but her Mom is in contact with her.  The apartment is on the 4th floor but the parking lot could flood.  I wish she had a relative inland in Florida to evacuate to!  I imagine the highways are jammed.  She could come here but we are about 420 miles away.  How do you look up evacuation zone info for an address?

• Like 14

A Florida Emergency Management member was interviewed today and he stated one of their major concerns is that there are so many living here that have never experienced a hurricane. Turns out 1,100 people move to Florida every day! No wonder it’s feeling more crowded every day.

So a big task has been to educate these new citizens. Scary when you have so many that don’t watch the news. Yes, even today I witnessed some folks stating. “ What storm!”

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wish I could see listing photos on that house but it last sold in June 2021 and I missed seeing the photos.

You might still be able to see old listing pictures on Zillow by putting in the address.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ann she's in downtown Tampa in an apartment on Fletcher across the street from University of South Florida Tampa.  I'm wondering if she has to evacuate?  I haven't bothered her, but her Mom is in contact with her.  The apartment is on the 4th floor but the parking lot could flood.  I wish she had a relative inland in Florida to evacuate to!  I imagine the highways are jammed.  She could come here but we are about 420 miles away.  How do you look up evacuation zone info for an address?

Go to Hillsborough County FL webpage you can get to "Find your evacuation zone" there. Most of Fletcher looks okay but if you put in her address you can see.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

A Florida Emergency Management member was interviewed today and he stated one of their major concerns is that there are so many living here that have never experienced a hurricane. Turns out 1,100 people move to Florida every day! No wonder it’s feeling more crowded every day.

So a big task has been to educate these new citizens. Scary when you have so many that don’t watch the news. Yes, even today I witnessed some folks stating. “ What storm!”

I couldn't "like" your post because I feel sick about people who don't even know a hurricane is on the way!

12 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

You might still be able to see old listing pictures on Zillow by putting in the address.

Yes, I've tried that on Zillow but the only photo there is a Google map photo of the outside of the house.  Up until a few years ago the listing photos from my last home in St. Louis were still online.  They're not there anymore.  This was about 8 years after we sold it!  I have to admit the photos looked nice...😁

8 minutes ago, Lcubed said:

Go to Hillsborough County FL webpage you can get to "Find your evacuation zone" there. Most of Fletcher looks okay but if you put in her address you can see.

Thanks.  I just did that and it seems she is in an area with no zone attached to it, however Zone D and Zone E are nearby.  Zone D is only a block away it looks like.  No evacuations are called for those Zones now.  I need to start pestering DD for information on DGD so I don't worry all week long.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfishthe home sounds like it's a split level home with short spans of stairs going to the different levels, not a full flight of stairs to take at one time.  Like you said, if you have that arrangement in your current home, you are used to that configuration and hopefully it will be many years before you decide you need to go to assisted living.  

One day I was looking up information online on some of our past homes and was surprised to see our second home in Midland was apparently converted from a 3 bed 2 bath home to a 2 bed 4 bath home.  Seemed like a strange thing to do.  But even the county assessor's office site showed that.  I'm trying to figure out why a house of that size (1500 sq. ft.) needed 4 bathrooms!  Wish I could see listing photos on that house but it last sold in June 2021 and I missed seeing the photos.

It is a split level, sort of.   There is a full flight of stairs between the top floor and the lowest floor.  The top floor has two bedrooms, a bath and the living room.  Then you go down 4 steps to the kitchen and dining room.   From there  you go down to the lowest level.  You also go to the family room from the kitchen.  If the kitchen level had a powder room I would be home free.

Where did you live in Midland?   I wonder if my realtor can access pictures.  That conversion does sound strange.  

I keep forgetting what I wanted to say.  Maybe I should go directly to assisted living.  My niece and her husband are in Sarasota, just down the road a piece from Tampa.  They are currently packing and are heading to Tennessee.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Popping in just to wave goodbye! 👋🏻

We're flying to Amsterdam tomorrow night. And then on to the Rotterdam on Sunday. We're feeling great, and with no stress of testing, we know that, as long as the plane gets us there, we are good to go. 🥰

Blessings and a happy October to everyone!

• Like 24

41 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

We're flying to Amsterdam tomorrow night. And then on to the Rotterdam on Sunday. We're feeling great, and with no stress of testing, we know that, as long as the plane gets us there, we are good to go. 🥰

Have a  great  cruise  and  stay  safe.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Bon Voyage!

Roy

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is a split level, sort of.   There is a full flight of stairs between the top floor and the lowest floor.  The top floor has two bedrooms, a bath and the living room.  Then you go down 4 steps to the kitchen and dining room.   From there  you go down to the lowest level.  You also go to the family room from the kitchen.  If the kitchen level had a powder room I would be home free.

Where did you live in Midland?   I wonder if my realtor can access pictures.  That conversion does sound strange.  

I keep forgetting what I wanted to say.  Maybe I should go directly to assisted living.  My niece and her husband are in Sarasota, just down the road a piece from Tampa.  They are currently packing and are heading to Tennessee.

It was 5608 Lantern Lane.  Looks pretty close to I-10 on a map but there were so many trees I don't remember hearing anything.  We bought the lot, hired the contractor, DH drew up the blueprints and they built it exactly as we asked.  I feel like that was one of the easiest home building experiences we've ever had.  The garage was so large!  24 x 32 feet deep.  We stored our boat in the rear of the garage and had room for two cars, or one car and the snowmobile trailer in the front section.  

Funny!  The owner is in the front yard mowing grass on Google maps.  Photo is 10 years old though!  The best sod we ever put down was at that home.  Michigan has great sod farms.

The house you offered on sounds like an interesting floor plan.  Private space for both of you.  Keeping fingers crossed!

Hope your niece and her DH make it out safely.  DGD has a friend whose Grandma lives in Jupiter but I think the roads will be packed.  I'd hate for them to be stuck on a highway during a hurricane.

• Like 15

My family's place (and neighborhood) has just been placed under mandatory evacuation orders in Charlotte County (south of Sarasota) where the county ordered Zone A - Red to evacuate.

None of my family is there now but neighbors are headed to higher ground -- in shelters, in hotels, with friends, etc.

-Melisa

Screenshot_20220926-172346.thumb.png.78be8e030fabb136fccadaec959da5ae.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

59 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Oooh, exciting!  I wish for you zero problems with the flight and a wonderful holiday!

I am tired and I haven’t packed yet.  I am on my last load of laundry now.  I think, just thinking about all the things one has to do, adds to the tiredness.  I had to add a visit to the chiropractor because my lower back and neck went out last night.  Too much stress, travel, and cleaning.

Thanks for the well wishes on tomorrow’s drive!  I am impressed with your memories.  My brain is in such a swirl I had to verbally remind myself where I was going when I was heading out to my appointments today.  😳 Luckily you can talk when you’re alone in your car and people will think you’re on the hands-free phone.  

Sorry to hear of all the covid illnesses.  I hope everyone is feeling well soon.

I also hope that everyone in Ian’s path stays safe.  Let us know how you’re doing when you can.  Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with the fire report, @HAL4NOW.  Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

We're flying to Amsterdam tomorrow night. And then on to the Rotterdam on Sunday.

Bon voyage!  Will join you on the 15th for the 150th anniversary transatlantic.

• Like 12

Sometimes I worry on these post that a lot of personal information is posted that could lead to personal information that can divulge our full names. Full names can divulge info like addresses. Addresses and stating we are are on a cruise can send up a flag we are on a cruise and our home is vacant and vulnerable.

I guess what I’m trying to say is be careful on how much we share on this tread. These pages are not secure and are scammers dreams. 

Not lecturing just giving some concerning thoughts and reminder.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Sometimes I worry on these post that a lot of personal information is posted that could lead to personal information that can divulge our full names. Full names can divulge info like addresses. Addresses and stating we are on a cruise can send up a flag we are on a cruise and our home is vacant and vulnerable.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, be careful on how much we share on this tread. These pages are not secure and are scammers dreams. 

Not lecturing just giving some concerning thoughts and reminder.

Good advice. I don't think it would be difficult for anyone to figure out who I am if they wanted to do a minimal amount of research. 

My DW and I will be sailing on the Koningsdam from October 8-24, but our house will not be empty. A couple from Orondo, WA, will be staying there. We also have neighbors that know everything that is happening on our block. They aren't nosy; they are just aware, and we all care about each other and watch out for each other.

• Like 20

Thought I might mention something about stairs and us older people.  I think the main concern is about falling on them rather than whether or not we have the strength to climb them.  We have a two story house built into a hillside.  The main living area is upstairs, but downstairs includes the laundry, two other bedrooms, a bath, living room and a large storage area plus a bar.  I have to go downstairs to refill my wine glass, so I use the stairs daily.  However, I am not concerned about falling because the stairs have a thick carpet with a pad.  So if I fell, the tragedy would be in spilling my wine.

A second language is how I met my DW.  I was living in Taipei and wanted to learn Chinese.  She had attended English school there, but the instructor was Japanese, so she needed to learn to pronounce the English words.  We exchanged language lessons twice a week; she helping me with Chinese and I with her English.  That was 60 years ago and her English is much better than my Chinese.

Ray

• Like 23