The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Custodial Worker Day, Name Your Car Day, and World Farm Animals Day

I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars.--Stephenie Meyer, Twilight

Meal Suggestion for today - Temaki
Drink of the Day - Rob Roy
Wine of the Day - Adega Mãe 2020 Dory White (Lisboa) Portugal
Destination of the Day - Kerkira, Nisos Kerkira (Corfu), Greece

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 10/03

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 10/03

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Statendam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Ashdod, Jerusalem, Israel 07:00 - 20:00

Westerdam

Seattle, WA, US 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 10/03

1002World.thumb.png.9cbbf65c8c2b7cac55b63208f0898f52.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool fall morning here.  It's still dark, so Bertie has to wait for his walk.  Not much on the agenda except a trip to the bakery and then a visit with my mum. 🙂

A nice collection of days.  I love the quote.

I'm sure I'll like the meal, the drink and the wine.

We've enjoyed stopping in Corfu on a couple of cruises on BHB.

Prayers for everyone.  

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days although, I have to confess, I’ve never named my car 😉 Interesting quote by Meyer.  I believe I’ve had today’s wine in Portugal.  Will wait to make sure - if it’s the one I think I remember, it was quite good.  We’ve been to Corfu, enjoyed it and I am returning again next year.  At least, then  I will have digital pics if it is the port of the day again 😉

What the heck is with this streak of cold weather we are getting?  Doesn’t Mother Nature know I have planters to work on?  Sheesh.  Heat is on in the house 😞 But I am a typical Canadian girl and won’t give up my Birk’s yet 😉 

E25A6053-5F6E-4884-87FF-50162A5B8EB8.thumb.jpeg.0dcdc176836ad97fcfb1020e16282dfd.jpeg

Hopefully I can find a way to clean out some of the biggest planters.  I have a daily goal and going to do my best to achieve it 🤞 And, if I fail, I’ll just remember that..

491905A6-5DEE-4711-8BF9-7D80E30EB7C5.thumb.jpeg.fa8e143b4b7b1af0f180304d7d7f4390.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those recovering from Ian and Fiona & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

C9E30B87-8DAB-433F-B468-ABD3A8FA53EC.jpeg.fe32203f5c0952b00afe129687971568.jpeg

Stay very safe wherever you are.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today promises to be a cool windy day.  Turned on the heat this morning to take the chill out of the air.  I’m not sure about the meal suggestion so will wait until @dfish shares pictures and recipes.  A quick trip to Aldi is the only thing on today’s agenda.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.8fa1c5dc4ff62aa664156d964ac2fde2.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Report and Daily, Rich. Roy, hope all is well with you up there. Thank you for keeping our lists. Another cool morning and it is just starting to get light out now. 

Heading off to the gym, then grocery shopping. More Ian cleanup and today I get my third COVID booster. Maybe I will nap this afternoon.😎

F6383C6C-8D24-4AE2-9B3B-B816791B9123.jpeg.0e850ee8d28950613e40d8fcb4d1458b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Adega Mãe 2020 Dory White (Lisboa)

This white blend from Portugal is a bit elusive but critics and consumers really like it, so it might be worth the hunt. I found one online distributor offering it for $8.99, so it won’t break the bank. 

Distributor notes

The wine is bright and fruity on the nose with citrus, fresh sweet herbs and a slight mealy note. Lively and acidic on the palate, but with generous fruit, it’s a medium body with tonnes of character and nervy acid. The finish is long with green apple, sour apricot and blueberries. Any aromatic white drinker would love this.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon.

It is 17°C and sunny at the beach.

It was a lovely Thanksgiving service at church this morning.

Thank you for the fleet reports.

A shout out for our farm animals.

My car is a Renault Captur.

True quote.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and those affected by Hurricane Ian.

Take care and stay safe.

Screenshot_20221002_115905.jpg

Screenshot_20221002_115831.jpg

16647090329336444889578900472195.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  It looks like a miserable day here due to Ian's remnants but with no aftermath at least.  Farm animals are vital (and I have cousins in Canada who keep them), Custodial workers are vital and likely overworked more than usual in the age of Covid, but I have never named a car.  I love the Meyer quote, but have never been to Corfu.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Veal Parmigana, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 2, 2017.

dishes02.jpg

Today’s care list:

Threat and horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seasick Sailor’s sister recovering from shoulder surgery
Marshhawk needing more diabetes medicine
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday (yesterday) Jimmy Carter
kplady RETIRED
Cruzin Terri headed to Barbados 10/4 to 10/18
StLouisCruisers DGD home safe
Major improvement in Bolt Creek Fire
6 days for Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
6 days for Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
6 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
BonVoyage MissG (Avalon Imagery II 10/2 to 10/6; then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22)
Von Voyage Dismomx5 (Rotterdam 10/2 to 10/27)
Bon Voyage Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
Bon Voyage Mister67
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Welcome home fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2),
Mister67(Clelebrity Infinity to 10/8 Lemonade cruise),  LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Rob Roy cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces scotch
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: brandied cherry

Steps
Add the scotch, sweet vermouth and bitters into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with 2 speared brandied cherries.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.00.52 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

34 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  It looks like a miserable day here due to Ian's remnants but with no aftermath at least.  Farm animals are vital (and I have cousins in Canada who keep them), Custodial workers are vital and likely overworked more than usual in the age of Covid, but I have never named a car.  I love the Meyer quote, but have never been to Corfu.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Veal Parmigana, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 2, 2017.

dishes02.jpg

Today’s care list:

Threat and horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seasick Sailor’s sister recovering from shoulder surgery
Marshhawk needing more diabetes medicine
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday (yesterday) Jimmy Carter
kplady RETIRED
Cruzin Terri headed to Barbados 10/4 to 10/18
StLouisCruisers DGD home safe
Major improvement in Bolt Creek Fire
6 days for Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
6 days for Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
6 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
BonVoyage MissG (Avalon Imagery II 10/2 to 10/6; then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22)
Von Voyage Dismomx5 (Rotterdam 10/2 to 10/27)
Bon Voyage Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
Bon Voyage Mister67
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Welcome home fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2),
Mister67(Clelebrity Infinity to 10/8 Lemonade cruise),  LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for keeping the lists updated daily Roy.

The celebration and shout out list is thankfully getting longer and the care list shorter.

• Like 16

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. Blessed Sunday. 

Prayers already lifted. Goodness the list continues to grow.. Roy I hope you are staying dry and safe. Thank you for adding my sister. She said she's feeling better and we are planning for her to visit this month.

I'm happy to see so many of our Daily family on the celebration list who are on or near sailing! Cheers!

We did not have a farm growing up, but we had goats, horses, and took care of a few calves. We lived in the country and they were our pets.

image.png.a893ab555a7c734f2bc9a5cda003bac8.png

image.png.4131b9f98c4b4b04dd1892ea2cea22cb.png

Have a safe and happy Sunday. Life is good.

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

Good morning! It’s another nice cool morning at 58 degrees. Yesterday brought back Hal memories of yore as we got to do our document dance! A large plastic wrapped parcel was delivered to our house from Scenic Luxury Cruise. Inside were two very high quality, super designed back packs and a nice document holder with our transfer passes, excursion tickets, medical forms for filling out prior to boarding , luggage tags and instruction booklets. Downloaded their app which is going to be very useful. I guess you get what you pay for. 

We had a couple from across the street over for  dinner last night for a delicious dinner and enjoyable evening. We had a pork roast that we cooked on the rotisserie, mashed potatoes and Brussel sprouts and finished with an Apple strudel that Sue made. Yummy!

Need to start getting ready for church. We have been to Corfu and will look through my photo library later.

Thanks for the report and all who post.

Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 29

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report and to Roy for the Lists

I like the collection of days.

Custodial workers play an important part in our everyday lives, farm animals are necessary and as for naming a car, I only did that once.  When I owned a red mustang convertible, I named it Ruby.

I have no idea what the meal is and I do not drink hard liquor so I will pass on the Rob Roy.

I like the quote.

Corfu is an island I have been to a number of times and would go back in a heartbeat. it is the birthplace of Prince Philip.

Prayers for all who suffered damages in Ian’s path and patience for those who are waiting for power to be restored.

Cheers for those who are celebrating.  i thank you @rafinmdRoy for including us on the celebrations list.  However, we are leaving tomorrow (10/3) for Barbados.  10/4 is actually our anniversary so I hope we get there in time to celebrate. I am hoping that your change of date is not an omen for tomorrow’s flight and all goes well without any delays or cancellations. I already received an email from  American Airlines to check in for tomorrow’s flight, hopefully that means it is going.

After breakfast and showers we will put the last minute things in our luggage and off we go.  Unfortuately we can’t weigh our luggage beforehand, because the people from Service Master who were packing our stuff up, packed the luggage scale.  I opened the drawer where we keep it, only to find it empty!  So we will have to hope we are not over the weight limit.

@grapau27Thank you for posting Father David’s sermon.  Always look forward to it every Sunday. Also, thanks for the explanation of the importance of the custodial workers.

I hope everyone has a Happy Sunday.  

Stay safe and God Bless.

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning!  We are spending the day in our easy chairs for the most part today.  John's game starts at 9:30 from London and mine starts at 1:00.   It is going to be breezy so I won't feel so bad not working outside today.  We have three beautiful days coming up so I hope to wrap it up then.    

Thank you for the Daily Reports.  It so so nice to see the Volendam on the map each day again.  We are down to 85 days before boarding.   My late husband's business in Baltimore relied on custodians as it was a janitor supply among other things.  We never lacked for cleaning products or trash bags at our house.   Prayers for all on our care list and it is nice that it is getting shorter and the celebrations and future cruises longer.   So nice after the long Covid drought.   Have a wonderful day!!   

ball of bees '13.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  It's a sunny morning but temp was a chilly 52F when I got up. It will be about 76 later on. No exercise this morning since it's my one day off a week.  Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  I appreciate custodians, and farm animals, but never named my car.  My first exposure to farm animals was my grandpa's black angus cattle, a few horses, chickens, and lambs.  I'll always remember his warning to stay away from the bull and no wild movements near him!  Once again I have no idea what the food item is.  Nice quote, no thanks to the drink, perhaps I would try the white wine though.  Kerkira (Corfu), Greece is a popular port.  This is our first time seeing it on the Daily.  I feel like I've been there more than 3 times but I guess I need to update my records.  Several times it was damp while there, and once it rained so hard even under an umbrella we were soaked.  It took forever to get everything dried out especially our shoes.  However, in August 2017 on Westerdam we had a beautiful day there so I will post some photos from then later.

Thank you Roy for the lists this morning.  So glad all of us have survived the storms, even though our property may not have done so well.  Prayers for @jimgevand his community.  Also hoping repairs are on the way.  Cheers to all on the long list of celebrations.  Have wonderful cruises everyone!

Have a great Sunday, and safe travels to anyone on the road or in the air, especially tomorrow to Terri @Cruzin Terriand her DH.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

We arrived in Kerkira on the island of Corfu, Greece on Aug. 20, 2017 on Westerdam.  It was a pretty day for a change.  We hadn't had good luck weather-wise there before.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLljeKs24M83EfYYAqi1qR6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503943747

I thought this was a pretty little carriage to take a ride in.  I hope the horse is given numerous breaks though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKcY7bwbFEEh4hVGgChV7XF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944067

We walked past the New Fortress built in 1577.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRsJybS8FhkFPLGYTVZjHu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944090

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuM_uGGnEywBO1K9eKHJws?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944098

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVWCh3nJ4mSXDM_CqBLBg6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944124

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0p88vNLQp88upWKOfOGWl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944167

Not a wide street but it gets the job done.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJAoScNcVN7rwieC-SIZndb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944176

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIETbPee1Tb32THHdZqTocP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944182

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKHhmVRFvfL4xN5syP2sN6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944186

Protecting the beautiful produce from the morning sunshine.  I've never seen that done before at a market.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyw8w6PHlmX_2B4CiTohyf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944190

But look how perfect it is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJBG1r1-vlOejaHFiDpeZou?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944195

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKsngsBM3pyVecjjJLUMRZQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944199

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGQdkGNLcOTqdy-QZaT-xE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944306

The Old Fortress of Kerkira, on the sea, built around 6 A.D.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-Yg-ZUsJ0cRJD17N0aq4g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944370

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKFyeMaiPAWvkkgVMpWp3Z4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944386

We enjoyed this sunny, not wet day in Kerkira.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.

Three great days to celebrate today.  We had an old white 1963 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon that we referred to as The Old White Ghost.  When I learned to drive, that is the car I was allowed to drive.  My dad bought a used Pontiac Bonneville that we called Bonny.  I liked that one because it was a sedan.  

Nothing much is on the agenda today besides walking and packing, both for the move and the cruise.  At the rate I am going, I will have most of the house packed up before I leave on the cruise.  That will help for when I get back.

We have had today's meal before.  The pictures all looked familiar and I checked my picture file and they were all there.   First, a little background.   Temaki sushi, also known as hand rolled sushi, is a popular casual Japanese food.

The conelike form of temaki incorporates rice, specially prepared seaweed called nori, and a variety of fillings known as neta. In Japanese culinary tradition, the word sushi actually refers to the specially prepared rice which forms the base of all sushi dishes, ranging from nigiri sushi to plain bowls of rice with scattered toppings. In Japanese, the term maki refers to any type of sushi roll incorporating nori, while te means hand. While most maki sushi is rolled by hand to some extent, temaki is considered to be much more of a hands-on food, as it is prepared and eaten with the hands rather than using tools such as chopsticks and sushi mats.

Temaki starts with a sheet of nori, which is usually cut in half to make it more manageable. The cook scoops a small amount of sushi rice onto the nori and follows with neta of choice before rolling it tightly up into a cone which can be held easily in the hand and dipped into sauces. Traditionally, temaki is eaten by hand, because it would be ungainly with chopsticks, and quickly, because the nori will start to soften and turn rubbery from the ingredients if allowed to sit too long.

Temaki can be filled with any sort of neta imaginable: fresh fish, tempura vegetables, fresh vegetables, grilled tofu or fish, or even fried eggs. Because of the casual hand held nature of the food, many families simply arrange a tray of neta, sushi rice, and nori, allowing family members and guests to make temaki rolls to taste. In addition to the filling, a variety of dipping sauces and condiments such as soy sauce, ponzu sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi are set out.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/2015/10/13/what-is-temaki-and-is-it-the-next-big-trend/

308918933_temaki1.png.d2e07220979c1059288638c6270b78d3.png

I would probably like this with the cooked fish or even the scrambled eggs.  I'd use very little rice because of the effects on blood sugar.    https://www.justonecookbook.com/temaki-sushi-hand-roll/

162534393_Temaki1.thumb.jpg.237c1ce750bca88fabcc6a080c2127bd.jpg

Temaki is really one of those make it your own dishes.  One last idea:  https://www.tasteatlas.com/temaki/recipe

847818111_temaki3.jpg.ca2a6fc7748eb7551bf9fabbbc43d1da.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.   Special thoughts for those who are recovering from Ian and Fiona.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Last night, we made one of the skillet chicken recipes that @dfish posted last Tuesday. The "Easy Creamy Chicken Skillet" was very good. I had to make a few modifications to fit the ingredients on hand, but nothing too major. I think it could be a good recipe for entertaining. You could sauté a bunch of chicken breasts and make the sauce ahead of time. Instead of putting the chicken back into the sauce-filled skillet to finish cooking, you could put them in a casserole and cover with the sauce and refrigerate. Then pop them in the oven to heat everything through and serve for a "crowd".

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  I will name my car a Jaguar if it makes it come true.  Thanks for the beautiful pics of Corfu.  I can’t remember if we are stopping there on our Greek Odyssey cruise or not.

Just wanted to say we are on our ship, unpacked, and about to go for a walk to get oriented.  It is a beautiful ship!  (Live thread in River Cruising forum.)  Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound from the storms.  Looking forward to our sailaway!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4