The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 14th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  None of our family members are bald; thinning yes, bald, no.  Oh wow, you had me at dessert!  I like eggs, poached soft on toast, please.

I'm late to the party again today - our friends left just prior to the lunch hour.  We tried convincing them to stay another day, or at least until lunch, but they had their minds made up they wanted to go home.  This morning we took them around the city to complete a few of their errands - picking up a new CPAP mask for him, getting a new winter coat for her, etc.

As soon as their car left the driveway, I called and was able to get an appointment for a gel nail fill, and now that I'm home, I shrink-wrapped the dining room window.  DH has been outside most of the time, blowing the leaves together, then mulching them down with the mower.  We haven't bagged leaves in years - just keep mulching them; it helps hold the moisture in the soil during the heat of summer and protects the grass roots.

@kochleffelI will certainly pray that Fran has a peaceful and pain free transition.

I think I'd like today's menu suggestion, but will pass on trying to make it.  Tonight is Friday, so we'll be checking out the online menus to see what appeals to us.  It's getting colder so that means we'll likely be eating most of our evening meals indoors from this point on.   It'll be take-out pizza in the kitchen for us.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, especially the families of the too many police officers who have died in the line of duty this week, and cheers to all who have something to celebrate.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Nobody has mentioned the proliferation of guns in the US.  With one of the world's highest incarceration rates we still have all this carnage.

Roy

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia voyage.  October 16 was a sea day from Kushiro to Yokohama.

dawn1014.jpg

Roy

I find it so hard to understand what is going on with the guns and shootings in this country. Trying not to be politically incorrect but I was in Florida during the Parkland School Shooting and watching the verdict yesterday on TV I just couldn’t wrap my head around it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I'm back home. I'll have to get some more lab work, schedule an abdominal x-ray and US, and give a "sample".

@kochleffel Prayers for Fran as her time nears.

@Quartzsite Cruiser It sounds like this will be a bit of a trial for DH and you, but I'm sure you'll get through it together. 

@mamaofami Good news that you don't need cataract surgery yet. So sad on the deaths from Ian. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all who post — especially Rich and Roy.  Been a few interesting months around here with AC needing to be replaced, water heater had a leak and needed repair, 20+ year old gun safe (which is not used for guns) combination goes on the blink and nearly impossible to find a repair person and finally ADT system goes on the blink — going off at 3 am and scaring me to death!  Whew — no more repairs, please.

DH is doing ok and working with therapist to try to strengthen his legs.  We are leaving on 11/6 for 2 weeks on Anthem of the Seas and I would like to see him do more walking.  Fingers crossed.

Prayers for all on our prayer list and for all the hurricane and gun violence victims.  Katherine 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I'm happy to report that the guard "shack" at our community entrance has finally be repaired and the guest traffic lane has reopened.  The last 9 1/2 months it has been closed since the drunk driver drove into the building killing the security person working overnight, may he rest in peace.  There were lots of delays and red tape, lack of windows in stock, plan approvals, permit delays.  The resident traffic lane is back to residents only!  One interesting change is there are three huge boulders blocking the front of the shack with nice plantings/landscaping softening the look.  No one else will be able to drive into the front of the building ever again!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIw6bluOIQ8DLumW5pRodhaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1665786007

Unfortunately with the afternoon shade and the sprinklers watering the new sod you can't see the full extent of those 3 boulders.  They are several feet tall and about 5 feet wide (each) so they should stop a vehicle unless they are airborne!  This is an HOA photo and not mine.  So happy to put this incident behind us, and I hope the drunk driver will pay for his actions.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, highscar said:

I believe I asked this before but did not get an answer.   Does HAL have a recommended hotel in San Diego.   If so is it walkable to the pier?   

I don’t remember you asking before but we really like the Wyndham near the port. It’s right across the street 

and an easy walk. Ask for a bay view room and you can watch all the goings on throughout the morning. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, XBGuy said:

From my two years in Mrs. Jerauld's Spanish classes I translate that to "Black Market."  I guess they much more open about those activities in Ensenada than they are here in Alta California.

I have made a handful of cruise stops in Ensenada, and I do enjoy walking around the town, but I can't recall ever seeing that sign.

It is the seafood market in the Marina area next to the cruise ship pier. The guide for our walking tour explained the origins of the name to us, but I cannot recall the story now!

Here is the other end of the market -

DSC_0618.thumb.JPG.22cbac5d10ab61b03764dc520689c5fc.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well, let me start with the disclaimer that i have not read any posts yet. It was a day that did not turn out the way we expected.  

Last night our air conditioner went on the blink.  It was not comfortable.  Many apologies later and a promise that it would be repaired in the morning, we went to bed.  However, we did make it known that for a 5 star luxury hotel, we were a bit disappointed that we have had a number of problems with our room over the time we were there.  A lovely lady did come over to us while we were at dinner and told us that the hotel would be offering us a solution in the morning.

Well, the morning came and went.  The A/C did not get repaired, nor did the hotel offer a solution.  Finally a phone call.  The A/C technician had a family emergency and would not be coming today.  The hotel would be offering us a 20% discount for 3 days rate plus an upgrade to one of their plantation suites.  

We accepted the upgrade (who wouldn’t). So that meant packing and unpacking.  Boy, what an upgrade.  

So we have a beautiful penthouse suite, with a pool and wrap around patio.  A beautiful sea view and just drop dead gorgeous. 

So excuse my lateness, but the photos are attached.

Hope everyone had a great day.  Will read the posts after finishing this.

God Bless and Good night.

Terri

E376F4B5-B3B8-4C00-B288-B970EC467B3A.jpeg

837683C8-94B1-4CB0-8BA8-678B083399C4.jpeg

2D55DFA4-EE31-4F51-BB93-DE152AE0F472.jpeg

D6BFBF7B-BB53-4750-A322-2028B322B227.jpeg

352212AC-50C7-44FB-8F56-06C4490B5C43.jpeg

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, let me start with the disclaimer that i have not read any posts yet. It was a day that did not turn out the way we expected.  

Last night our air conditioner went on the blink.  It was not comfortable.  Many apologies later and a promise that it would be repaired in the morning, we went to bed.  However, we did make it known that for a 5 star luxury hotel, we were a bit disappointed that we have had a number of problems with our room over the time we were there.  A lovely lady did come over to us while we were at dinner and told us that the hotel would be offering us a solution in the morning.

Well, the morning came and went.  The A/C did not get repaired, nor did the hotel offer a solution.  Finally a phone call.  The A/C technician had a family emergency and would not be coming today.  The hotel would be offering us a 20% discount for 3 days rate plus an upgrade to one of their plantation suites.  

We accepted the upgrade (who wouldn’t). So that meant packing and unpacking.  Boy, what an upgrade.  

So we have a beautiful penthouse suite, with a pool and wrap around patio.  A beautiful sea view and just drop dead gorgeous. 

Terri

Absolutely gorgeous!  Enjoy the upgrade, hope the rest of the trip is blissful!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Looks amazing.

I'm pleased for you Terri.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1