The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 22nd, 2022

richwmn

Today is Make a Difference Day,neighbors helping neighbors, National Fossile Day, and National Nut Day

Whatever you are, be a good one.--Abraham Lincoln

Meal Suggestion for today - Pepper Ricotta Primavera
Drink of the Day - Pumpkin Pie Martini
Wine of the Day - Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Italy
Destination of the Day - Hammerfest, Norway

Eurodam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 08:00 - 18:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 10/24

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay eta 10/24

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Bora Bora eta 10/23

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy - 23:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination New York, Caper Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC eta 10/26

Volendam

Trieste, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia eta 10/24

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Fiji

Zuiderdam

Suva, Fiji 08:00 - 17:00

1022World.thumb.png.c7b85d61ed3c352f7ec5942087af6dc6.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.

It's 12°C (54°F) this morning but supposed to be a sunny 19°C (66°) this afternoon.

Love the days.   Love the quote.

I think I'll like the meal, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  What a great collection of days.  I think neighbors can be virtual as well, including our dailyites.  I try to eat about an ounce of nuts each day for health.  I love the Lincoln quote.  I have been to Norway but not Hammerfest.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Spice Crusted Prime Rib, and Apricot Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 22, 2017.

dishes22.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP kochleffel’s friend Fran 10/16/22
RIP StLouisCruiser friend Beverly 10/18/22
HAL4NOW testing positive on Koningsdam
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quaartzite Cruiser DH with post surgery complications
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Statendam in Everglades

nshome.thumb.JPG.0ea28413a0841a3c9320cd5
First Caribbean cruise of season
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Aliaschief off for a river cruise
New apartment for Cruzin Terri
Later surgery time for Quartzite Cruiser DH
Good day in rehab for luvteaching DH
2 days for Oceansaway17 (Equinox 10/24 to 11/3)
1 Day for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
Welcome home dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz and MissG
HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (10/27) and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) and Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today promises to be a beautiful day and will be a good day to go vote.  It was nice to watch the NS arrive this morning.  I’m not sure about today’s meal suggestion so will wait for pictures and recipes.  I hope everyone has a good Saturday.

image.thumb.png.100fce4b09f9d63d0a2a754d33fbc846.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 9

Pumpkin Pie Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1/2 part DeKuyper® Buttershots® Schnapps
1/2 part Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
1/2 part Cruzan® 9 Spiced Rum
2 parts Half and Half
1/2 part Pumpkin Puree
1 dash Pumpkin Spice
Whipped Cream

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with whipped cream.

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 7.25.18 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  Well, the temp is up about 5 degrees since earlier this week's lows.  37F and it will be another sunny day with a high of about 73F.  Perfect!  It's a quiet day for us but I think a few people have a shrimp boil planned to be held at the end of our cul-de-sac.  They have a beautiful day for it.  Nice to see the Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades.  

Thanks go to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report which he was able to post every day of his cruise.  Cheers to you!  Nice days for celebration.  I hope I can make a difference today somehow.  I would be happy to help a neighbor in need of it.  Fossils are so interesting and tell us about past life on earth.  Nuts are delicious and I'm happy I'm not allergic.  The menu suggestion sounds interesting so will enjoy seeing the description today.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  The quote is a good one from a man of the people.  

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the long Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers said bright and early for everyone and even a few more.  I hope our prayers help!  Hurray for all celebrating, even if your cruise is ending, you have something to cheer.  I hope everyone remains healthy on those cruises.  @HAL4NOWlet us know how it's going there on your cruise.  Is DW still negative?  

Today's destination is Hammerfest, Norway which Rich posted once before on March 8, 2021.  Here is the link to that date.  

Hammerfest, Norway is a port we saw on what we call the Best Norway Cruise Ever in 2016.  If you ever see a cruise itinerary that includes ports like Hammerfest, Bronnoysund, Trondheim and Narvik, book it.  I always look for cruises that include a couple of new ports and this one was it.  Little did we know we'd meet the very personable Captain D. D. on that Prinsendam cruise.  He later told us the surveys that were returned after this cruise made it the highest rated cruise in recent Holland America history.  We had a ball!

This was the furthest north port before arrival at Honningsvag and North Cape.  The weather was sunny but very windy so we required tugs to get to the dock.  That made our disembarkation about an hour and a half later than planned.  Little did we know that we would be leaving early as well as arriving late!  More about that later.

enhance

enhance

We took the shuttle bus to the downtown area and started a walk up the steps to Mt. Salen's peak.  The port has a bit of distance from where we docked and then a curved road around to the other side of the harbor to the downtown area.  Here is a pic from Mt. Salen that shows the distance involved, somewhat.enhance

Mt. Salen isn't terribly tall so most of us could make it up the slope to the top.  There's a gentle ramp so you could stop and rest if necessary.  It's worth the view of the town.  enhance

enhance

enhance

After leaving there we walked along the main street towards the Hammerfest Kirke built in 1961 which featured unusual architecture inspired by fish scales.  We passed some cute painted mailboxes in front of homes which I couldn't pass up without a photo.  Can you tell this is a mailbox?enhance

The front of the church and then the side of the unique church.enhance

enhance

Across the road from the Hammerfest Kirke is an older church built in 1937 called the Hammerfest Church.  It was the only building left standing after World War II. enhance

enhance

We wandered through the cemetery looking at some of the old headstones there. enhance

enhance

This is the Museum of the Reconstruction.  When I looked up the name of the museum, the description read that like most of Northern Norway, towns were razed by the retreating German military forces at the end of the war.  Looks like somewhere to visit if you have time on your next visit.enhance

We saw this Hurtigruten ship and took a picture of it when we were walking around.  There was a hearse parked on the dock waiting for it to get to the dock.  Sad.enhance

Interesting sign downtown.  I thought Honningsvag would beg to differ.enhance

We took the shuttle back around the bay to the Prinsendam, but stopped to see what this object was nearby.  It's called the Meridian Pillar.enhance

Not being able to read the words on the monument I looked it up.  Lonely Planet says this about it:

Historic Site in Hammerfest On the Fuglenes peninsula, just across the harbour, is the Meridianstøtta, a marble column commemorating the first survey (1816–52) by Russian scientist Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve to determine the arc of the global meridian and thereby calculate the size and shape of the earth.

Back on the ship, we were surprised when the ship left the dock several hours early to let a ship (waiting nearby) take our spot.  Someone in charge had made an error and double booked this dock and that ship needed to be there at 6 pm, not 8 pm! enhance

We watched HAL crew members out at the dock trying to hurry folks along so we could leave.  As soon as we moved away from the pier the other ship slipped right into our spot.  We sailed out further to the edge of the harbor and anchored, and the port agent brought passengers who were left behind out to us on the pilot boat while we were at dinner!  Can you imagine their panic when they saw the Prinsendam was gone?  We heard some of them were enjoying themselves in the local bars although who can afford an alcoholic drink at a bar in Norway?

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days - especially the first two.  Can’t help but think what a difference you can make when you help your neighbours and vice versa.  Great quote to match those 2 days 🙂.  Won’t get to today’s port until next year. 🤞 

Well, we got Richard’s truck packed with garden debris and leaves to take to the ‘leaf lady’.  (Beats having to load 100 paper bags with them) and there are two more tarps full of leaves to go today when he comes back.  I’d love to say it’s done but there are still leaves to fall.  Hopefully this eliminates some work for my clean up crew who will be coming to save some $$.  Richard heads south soon & I on my plane so I will work a bit after today,  time permitting.  

DF2E7CE2-0BDC-4EF3-B01D-666F60D7E300.jpeg.9b77f82672c31038d93767b8cb01a22d.jpeg

the rest of the day will be devoted to my list, cleaning & starting to choose what to take and pack.  About time, I think?  😆 I do have the M & G’s and name tags and sundry roll call stuff all packed.  One thing for sure, I’ll have weight to spare coming home - they are heavy 😝 

DD2E226A-6115-4B74-979E-8367141CA63E.jpeg.5901dd9e6ca14d6ab18fc66bba12d16f.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those suffering in Ukraine, from Ian & Fiona and for those that need them - And a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

4287881E-8C85-410A-AA14-A6177A4A8847.jpeg.0c214c763c67b0735b918a617f89c9dc.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 27
  • Haha 5

Pepper Ricotta Primavera:  Primavera means Spring in Italian.  Pasta primavera is a dish combining pasta and lightly cooked vegetables along with some fresh herbs and spices. Despite its Italian-sounding name, the dish was actually invented by Ed Giobbi during his hunting trip to Nova Scotia. He brought the recipe to New York City and gave it to his friends Jean Vernges and Sirio Maccioni, who used it in their new restaurant named Le CirqueThe original pasta primavera incorporated ingredients such as ripe tomatoes, chopped basil, parsley, and garlic, olive oil, and spaghetti. In 1976, it was the most talked-about dish in Manhattan, and it is still popular today.

Garlic, peppers and herbs top creamy ricotta cheese in this meatless skillet meal you can make in just 20 minutes.  Zucchini and peas are included in this recipe.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pepper-ricotta-primavera/

Pepper Ricotta Primavera

The principle behind this recipe is an even combination of pasta and vegetables. This will keep it flavorful as well as colorful.   Asparagus is included in this recipe.

https://spicetrekkers.com/recipes/pasta-primavera-with-ricotta

Pasta Primavera With Ricotta

Here’s a recipe from the Dairy Farmers of Canada.  It includes mushrooms.

https://dairyfarmersofcanada.ca/en/canadian-goodness/recipes/herbed-ricotta-primavera-pasta

herbed ricotta primavera with pasta

This recipe uses lemon ricotta.

https://elkeliving.com/2020/07/23/pasta-primavera/

pasta primavera

This recipe uses ravioli instead of the traditional noodles used in primavera.

https://www.giovanniranausa.com/recipes/spinach-and-ricotta-ravioli-alla-primavera.html

image.png.acccb09f7a0f03cebb6a6ee8c410876e.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Safe travels home from your cruise!  Thank you again for all who shared it with us!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Another lovely, cool morning. Bindi and I had an extra long walk this morning, just as day was breaking.  Magical. 

One Zumba class, smoke detector battery changing and some gardening are on my “to do” list today. Then dinner at a friend’s. 

Halloween is just around the corner, so for those of you who have leftover candy….

E6579CF2-2611-479B-8724-4AD17F9F9A30.jpeg.83f191afd2adcb2e4531c7bc4f621dfe.jpeg

Sorry it is so large, but when I edited it to the smallest size, the words got fuzzy. 

Prayers for all who need our support. @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, happy to read that DH did not injure himself and your family has stepped in to help. Praying that all goes smoothly on Monday. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Italy

I enjoy Chianti with Italian food, but it is not a “go to” sipping wine for me. This one sounds nice and for the price, it could even be used as a cooking wine. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $9.99!

Winemaker Notes

Chianti Castiglioni 2020 is a wine with a stunning ruby red color and shades of purple. It has a pleasantly fruity bouquet, with notes that bring to mind strawberry, marasca cherry, raspberry and fig; the fruit is accompanied by delightful floral and Mediterranean aromas. The delightful spicy note is also pleasant, with elegant fragrances of pepper and cloves. It offers a delightful vivacity on the palate. The finale is long, clean-cut and delicate, with a remarkable taste-olfactory conformity.

JS91 James Suckling

Sweet-berry, floral and mineral aromas. Medium body, fine tannins and bright acidity. Really lemony. Drink now.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Well, the temp is up about 5 degrees since earlier this week's lows.  37F and it will be another sunny day with a high of about 73F.  Perfect!  It's a quiet day for us but I think a few people have a shrimp boil planned to be held at the end of our cul-de-sac.  They have a beautiful day for it.  Nice to see the Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades.  

Thanks go to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report which he was able to post every day of his cruise.  Cheers to you!  Nice days for celebration.  I hope I can make a difference today somehow.  I would be happy to help a neighbor in need of it.  Fossils are so interesting and tell us about past life on earth.  Nuts are delicious and I'm happy I'm not allergic.  The menu suggestion sounds interesting so will enjoy seeing the description today.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  The quote is a good one from a man of the people.  

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the long Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers said bright and early for everyone and even a few more.  I hope our prayers help!  Hurray for all celebrating, even if your cruise is ending, you have something to cheer.  I hope everyone remains healthy on those cruises.  @HAL4NOWlet us know how it's going there on your cruise.  Is DW still negative?  

Today's destination is Hammerfest, Norway which Rich posted once before on March 8, 2021.  Here is the link to that date.  

Hammerfest, Norway is a port we saw on what we call the Best Norway Cruise Ever in 2016.  If you ever see a cruise itinerary that includes ports like Hammerfest, Bronnoysund, Trondheim and Narvik, book it.  I always look for cruises that include a couple of new ports and this one was it.  Little did we know we'd meet the very personable Captain D. D. on that Prinsendam cruise.  He later told us the surveys that were returned after this cruise made it the highest rated cruise in recent Holland America history.  We had a ball!

This was the furthest north port before arrival at Honningsvag and North Cape.  The weather was sunny but very windy so we required tugs to get to the dock.  That made our disembarkation about an hour and a half later than planned.  Little did we know that we would be leaving early as well as arriving late!  More about that later.

enhance

enhance

We took the shuttle bus to the downtown area and started a walk up the steps to Mt. Salen's peak.  The port has a bit of distance from where we docked and then a curved road around to the other side of the harbor to the downtown area.  Here is a pic from Mt. Salen that shows the distance involved, somewhat.enhance

Mt. Salen isn't terribly tall so most of us could make it up the slope to the top.  There's a gentle ramp so you could stop and rest if necessary.  It's worth the view of the town.  enhance

enhance

enhance

After leaving there we walked along the main street towards the Hammerfest Kirke built in 1961 which featured unusual architecture inspired by fish scales.  We passed some cute painted mailboxes in front of homes which I couldn't pass up without a photo.  Can you tell this is a mailbox?enhance

The front of the church and then the side of the unique church.enhance

enhance

Across the road from the Hammerfest Kirke is an older church built in 1937 called the Hammerfest Church.  It was the only building left standing after World War II. enhance

enhance

We wandered through the cemetery looking at some of the old headstones there. enhance

enhance

This is the Museum of the Reconstruction.  When I looked up the name of the museum, the description read that like most of Northern Norway, towns were razed by the retreating German military forces at the end of the war.  Looks like somewhere to visit if you have time on your next visit.enhance

We saw this Hurtigruten ship and took a picture of it when we were walking around.  There was a hearse parked on the dock waiting for it to get to the dock.  Sad.enhance

Interesting sign downtown.  I thought Honningsvag would beg to differ.enhance

We took the shuttle back around the bay to the Prinsendam, but stopped to see what this object was nearby.  It's called the Meridian Pillar.enhance

Not being able to read the words on the monument I looked it up.  Lonely Planet says this about it:

Historic Site in Hammerfest On the Fuglenes peninsula, just across the harbour, is the Meridianstøtta, a marble column commemorating the first survey (1816–52) by Russian scientist Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve to determine the arc of the global meridian and thereby calculate the size and shape of the earth.

Back on the ship, we were surprised when the ship left the dock several hours early to let a ship (waiting nearby) take our spot.  Someone in charge had made an error and double booked this dock and that ship needed to be there at 6 pm, not 8 pm! enhance

We watched HAL crew members out at the dock trying to hurry folks along so we could leave.  As soon as we moved away from the pier the other ship slipped right into our spot.  We sailed out further to the edge of the harbor and anchored, and the port agent brought passengers who were left behind out to us on the pilot boat while we were at dinner!  Can you imagine their panic when they saw the Prinsendam was gone?  We heard some of them were enjoying themselves in the local bars although who can afford an alcoholic drink at a bar in Norway?

Thank you for your great photos Sandi.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good selection of days.

Honest Abe with a good quote.

I would like the meal.

We sort of lucked out as we have had cool weather and didn't need the AC, today is going to sneak in the low 80s and Sunday in the mid 80s so we might suffer a little bit tomorrow, new AC will be installed Monday.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

• Like 25

Good afternoon.

It is currently sunny and 62°F here.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the daily and the lists.

Interesting days.

It is good if we could all make a difference every day.

Discovering Fossils helps us to see what lived thousands of years ago.

Excellent quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good morning! 

I’m sitting at the FLL airport waiting for my flight.  Disembarkation was a breeze.  It will be good to get home,  but I sure have a busy two weeks ahead!  Two weeks from today we unload the moving truck into our new home.

• Like 32

Good Saturday Morning!  I need to get AAA batteries so I can get some things working again, like the outdoor thermometer that sends messages to a board inside the house, so I actually know what the temp is.   Turns out the temperatures that show on my computer are based on where my computer thinks I am.  DH was researching his new campaign, so the computer says the temps in Seattle.

I haven't started vacuuming yet.  I woke up at 5 something with the moon light coming in the bedroom, it  was lovely.  But I really didn't want to get up that early.  I got up that early yesterday to get DH to those appointments. But I didn't need to today.  So back to sleep I went, and all the bed sleeping cats readjusted themselves and pinned me in.  There are 3 permanent bed sleeping cats now.  The first signs of winter...Neko sleeps to my right, Furnando sleeps on my right by my feet, and Tazi...makes sure she gets the middle of the bed, and tries her best to push me over the edge...

@cat shepardFor those of us that are visually impaired, large pictures are the BEST!

Well I hear DH is coughing and awake, so here goes with the vacuum......

c8adf4514b509a88c8e92468e77347aa--good-morning-cat-morning-coffee.jpg

bedsheets-meme-400px.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I think you can make a difference by helping your neighbours.  DH has a great collection of fossils; ammonites, trilobites, lots of bites.  LOL  I can be a nut sometimes . . .

Doing a bit of a happy dance this morning as the Navigator app is showing our boarding passes.  Not a full happy dance, because we still don't have a boarding time assigned, but the rest is there, along with the little bar code.  Woo Hoo!

I think I would pass on the drink today - the thought of adding in the pumpkin puree did it for me, but we've consumed a lot of the wine.  How many of you had Chianti bottles in your house with the straw baskets woven around the bottom,  and then stuck candles in them when they were empty? 

It's a brisk morning out there today, -3C and I can see there's a heavy frost on the windshields of the cars on the street.  Sure glad we don't need to go anywhere this morning that will require scraping.  There's a "special weather statement" for the south part of our province (not including us) for tonight and tomorrow that will see snow and high winds.  People are told to prepare for possible power outages, as the wet, heavy snow could bring down power lines.   Not a lot planned for the day, doing a little more packing and getting the plants that we've brought in from outdoors, settled into their winter locations downstairs.  Glad we've got an extra couple of bedrooms with shelving units just under the windows so that we can over-winter some succulents, etc.

I like today's menu suggestion and will tuck it away for future use - I think the veggies would go well with the lemon pasta we enjoy - but we've got some ham slices that need to be eaten, so it'll be an easy dinner for us, ham sandwiches and soup on the table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers for all who have celebrations to enjoy!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. I never made it to the senior center yesterday for the Cole Porter show. I got a wave of exhaustion and think I don’t drink enough water. I did go to our clubhouse last night where a county 20 piece band played. They were all amateurs but amazing. I was very happy I went. Today is a lazy day waiting for my handyman to shut off the outside water before the pipes freeze and to fix my dishwasher since the bottom rack seems to be off the track and no matter what I do it stays that way.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Off the NS after a wonderful cruise. As Debbie said, disembarkation was a breeze and we were able to get a taxi right away. THAT'S where the efficiency ended -- Budget Rental at the airport has not improved since last year. Lots of customers & only 2 agents. It's going to take a while!!

So while we wait I'll pretend I'm back on the ship. It was SO nice to meet the other Daily-ites and all of the other CCers! The turnout for the M&G was terrific - thanks to everyone that participated!

Edi

• Like 29