Mini Bar Switch Outs

wrongwaywatson

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in April with the Princess Plus Package.   I had always figured that when we reached elite I would switch out our mini bar set up for coffee cards, but we will have them with the drink package.  Is there anything else that you can switch it up for?  We won't use the mini bar set up, so we were wondering what other options there are?  Thanks!

We're both Elite and on our recent Enchanted cruise found the mini bar set up lacking as we had the Plus beverage package. We're not soda drinkers, and the package included water, coffee, and far more alcoholic beverages than either of us could drink. I asked room service about switching to vodka minis that we would could take home with us - none on the ship. They eventually gave us a few bottles of Absolute that I packed in bubble wrap, put into checked luggage and they both made in home!

Elite perks are not what they used to be for value.  Princess needs to take a look at the perks and revise the amenities to reflect recent changes.  We did use the laundry option and DH purchased a cologne [10% off] in the cosmetic shop...the better deal was buy one and second is 50% off.  The "appetizers" delivered on formal night were gross, never used the early tender to Princess Cay, skipped the Elite disembarcation lounge as we did early walk off though we did go to the Vista Lounge for predinner drinks. 

Darcy

• Like 1

Plus package includes bottled water but not canned soda so maybe turn in alcohol for that.  It does come with a few cans in set up or take liquor home with you it should be the minis although on my cruise last month they were out of minis and gave a bottle of wine instead.

You can swap for a bottle of wine. Though glasses of wine are included in the drink package, there may be a bottle of a wine that is not included. Otherwise take the bottle home with you. Worth probably $12 in local liquor store, so some savings down the road 

Keep in mind, 9f course, that supplies are still out of whack across the fleet - so types of booze may vary . 

Princess Elite Mini-bar 

Question:What will my mini-bar consist of?
Answer:Elite members will get a one-time complimentary mini-bar set-up (1per Elite stateroom) which consists of two (2) miniature bottles each of Cognac, Gin, Vodka and Scotch Whisky, two (2) 12 ounce cans of beer, two (2) 12ounce cans/bottles of tonic water, two (2) 12 ounce cans of Coca Cola, two (2)12 ounce cans of Sprite, two (2) 0.5 liter bottles of water, two (2) 11 ounce bottles of Perrier. The contents of the mini-bar are subject to change.

Question:What if I have a specific request for how I’d like my mini-bar stocked?
Answer:Your mini-bar will consist of a selection of liquors, soft drinks,beer, still and sparkling water. Once on board, you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for wine?
Answer:You may exchange all of your mini-bar items for one bottle of wine valued at $40 or less.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for full bottles of liquor?
Answer:No. Miniature bottles of liquor (50 ml) may be exchanged on a one-for-one basis with other miniature bottles.

Question:Can I exchange the non-alcoholic items in my Elite mini-bar for alcohol?
Answer:No. Non-alcoholic beverages may be exchanged on a one-for-one basis with other non-alcoholic varieties.

Question:What if I don't want any alcohol in my Elite mini-bar?
Answer:If you do not wish to have any alcohol in your mini-bar we will be happy to exchange your mini-bar for one of the following: 

• Alcoholic beverages may be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverages on a one-for-one basis
  • Full mini-bar may be exchanged for two (2) New Grounds Coffee packages
  • All water mini-bar setup will consist of eight (8) 1.5 liter bottles of water
  • Like 1

Princess Mini-Bar Setup info
The selections of items in the mini-bar can vary. This is what it has been on
our previous cruises:
Alcoholic
2 - mini-bottles Cognac
2 - mini-bottles Gin
2 - mini-bottles Vodka
2 - mini-bottles Scotch Whisky
2 - 12 ounce cans of beer
Non-Alcoholic
2 - 12 ounce cans/bottles of tonic water
2 - 12 ounce cans of Coca Cola
2 - 12 ounce cans of Sprite
2 - 0.5 liter bottles of water
2 - 11 ounce bottles of Perrier
You can exchange any alcoholic item for any other alcoholic or non-alcoholic item on a one-for-one basis.
You can exchange any non-alcoholic item for any other non-alcoholic item on a one-for-one basis.
You can also exchange the entire setup for ONE of the following
1 - bottle of wine (limited selection)
2 - coffee packages
8 - 1.5 liter bottles of water

• Thanks 1

For what it is worth, on the Discovery for Thanksgiving Week, No Cognac.  I would have swapped the rest for all cognac, but they had run out.  I swapped it out for water and a few extra cans of Sprite and Diet Coke. 

Im sure that they came out ahead on my exchange!

I'm not a wine, vodka or cognac drinker.  Hmmm, the Princess Plus Package more than covers any alcohol drinks I want, I drink a LOT of coffee, but it is covered.   It might be useful in the future, because we probably won't buy the Princess Plus, unless it comes in a package where the cruise is cheaper to offset it, then I could swap for coffee card.

3 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

We have exchanged the elite set up for  a  soso bottle of wine or sometimes for water. With the plus package this perk is useless..

I agree with the Mini-bar Elite Perk....if you have a beverage package.  But several Elites do not care to purchase a beverage package.  I would hate to see Princess eliminate this perk.  They have removed so many already.  

May I suggest that you just gift it to your steward or MDR staff.  Ask them what they would like, then exchange the mini bar to make them happy.  I know they always welcome bottled water.  Some are happy to receive the alcohol.  Just ask them.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2022 at 10:15 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I agree with the Mini-bar Elite Perk....if you have a beverage package.  But several Elites do not care to purchase a beverage package.  I would hate to see Princess eliminate this perk.  They have removed so many already.  

May I suggest that you just gift it to your steward or MDR staff.  Ask them what they would like, then exchange the mini bar to make them happy.  I know they always welcome bottled water.  Some are happy to receive the alcohol.  Just ask them.

And even if they won't use the alcohol, it has trade value with other crew for things they do want.  Crew barter system works. 

• Like 4

On 12/3/2022 at 1:15 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

May I suggest that you just gift it to your steward or MDR staff. 

last week on Enchanted we saw a passenger do just that. He brought over a plastic bag filled with the contents of his minibar to his presumably favorite bartender and asked him to use the contents for the crew.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:15 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

But several Elites do not care to purchase a beverage package.  I would hate to see Princess eliminate this perk.  They have removed so many already.  

This, exactly!

I am extremely concerned every time I see another Elite or suite guest come on here and make comments that insinuate or straight out call this benefit useless. Just as I get frustrated about anyone trash talking the free laundry benefit. If Princess continues to see/hear such comments then they will obviously decide that these benefits are not necessary and many of us will lose the few valuable benefits left to us. For my husband and I, if we don't have a drink package (which with the increasing prices will be every cruise we book from here on out), swapping the mini-bar for two coffee cards is an extremely nice benefit. We have never had an issue with the free laundry and absolutely love and appreciate that benefit. On some cruises, certain Elite benefits are going to be less useful and on others they are more valuable. In my opinion, it is best to just appreciate that we have them even when we don't necessarily need them.

To anyone on the boards that is thinking about posting about any of the Elite benefits that we still have: please think before you write anything that Princess could use as a means to excuse eliminating the benefit all together. Please don't complain about free benefits because you will be partially to blame when Princess decides to eliminate the benefit. On the other hand, complaining about benefits they've already eliminated (for example, free internet) is totally fair and reasonable. It may be good for Princess to continue to see that customers are frustrated by the eliminated benefits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, highflyingrealtor said:

We’ll want to exchange mini bar for coffee package(s). So is it your room steward that approves and makes this happen or do we need to coordinate with guest services? 

My experience has been, you call guest services and tell them you want to swap your mini bar for 2 coffee packages. They will notate your account and tell you 2 charges will appear so the packages can be added to your medallions. The charges will be credited back in a day or so. Also if you are solo you can have the other package loaded onto another medallion or you can have 2 on your medallion for a total of 30 coffee drinks.

1 hour ago, highflyingrealtor said:

We’ll want to exchange mini bar for coffee package(s). So is it your room steward that approves and makes this happen or do we need to coordinate with guest services? 

I call room service and they credit my account immediately / pick up the minibar within 24 hrs

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

When we board the first call is to room service to swap out the alcohol I don't drink e.g. scotch and get what I do like (gin).  The soft drinks are swapped out for Diet Coke which my DW drinks all the time.  Interesting comment above to gift some of it to our room steward.  I did not think they could accept it.  Good information for the next cruise.

The free laundry my DW absolutely loves and uses.  The bar setup I love and would hate to see it go away.  We sometimes use the tender benefit but most of our cruises go into ports and dock. When it is needed, it is important to us.  

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, minabruuke said:

This, exactly!

I am extremely concerned every time I see another Elite or suite guest come on here and make comments that insinuate or straight out call this benefit useless. Just as I get frustrated about anyone trash talking the free laundry benefit. If Princess continues to see/hear such comments then they will obviously decide that these benefits are not necessary and many of us will lose the few valuable benefits left to us. For my husband and I, if we don't have a drink package (which with the increasing prices will be every cruise we book from here on out), swapping the mini-bar for two coffee cards is an extremely nice benefit. We have never had an issue with the free laundry and absolutely love and appreciate that benefit. On some cruises, certain Elite benefits are going to be less useful and on others they are more valuable. In my opinion, it is best to just appreciate that we have them even when we don't necessarily need them.

To anyone on the boards that is thinking about posting about any of the Elite benefits that we still have: please think before you write anything that Princess could use as a means to excuse eliminating the benefit all together. Please don't complain about free benefits because you will be partially to blame when Princess decides to eliminate the benefit. On the other hand, complaining about benefits they've already eliminated (for example, free internet) is totally fair and reasonable. It may be good for Princess to continue to see that customers are frustrated by the eliminated benefits.

I wasn't complaining when I asked about it.  This will be our first cruise as elites and I wondered if there was something else to swap it out for.  We do have the Plus on this next cruise again, but it is not something that we will go out and pay much for, because we mainly want the coffee card and soda package.  If you add in wifi and it comes out just a little bit more for the Plus, we will do it.  Other than that, I will be swapping it for coffee cards.  I'm very excited about the laundry! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wallyj said:

My experience has been, you call guest services and tell them you want to swap your mini bar for 2 coffee packages. They will notate your account and tell you 2 charges will appear so the packages can be added to your medallions. The charges will be credited back in a day or so. Also if you are solo you can have the other package loaded onto another medallion or you can have 2 on your medallion for a total of 30 coffee drinks.

Sorry, it's not Guest Svcs...you need to call Room Service.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, highflyingrealtor said:

The switch out is handled by room service.  Just call them when you board.