People with portable speakers

tunafish

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

We had an aft cabin. The family next to us had a portable speaker. They were playing Bruce Springsteen, loudly. We just said, we like Bruce. (And we were serious, not sarcastic) They just turned it off and went inside. It would have been a totally different situation if we didn't like the music. It is not really a good idea to inflict your own music selection on other people. 😄

Couple next to us played loud music on the balcony.   After two days I called security who  first came to our cabin to hear and then went to  speak with them. Music stopped.    Later that day, I was at the railing, and guy looks over and says,  "Some prude Ahole called security on us".  I didn't say anything.    😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Couple next to us played loud music on the balcony.   After two days I called security who  first came to our cabin to hear and then went to  speak with them. Music stopped.    Later that day, I was at the railing, and guy looks over and says,  "Some prude Ahole called security on us".  I didn't say anything.    😀

I would have loved to responded (probably wouldn't) by saying, I heard about security getting called about some inconsiderate Ahole playing loud music on their balcony. 😁 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I did respond to you in what I thought was a complimentary fashion but my post was moderated. 🤔🙄

Don't worry I saw it, no idea why it was moderated though, you were simply speaking from your own experiences. I appreciate your response, it was valuable and would have been nice for others to read, too 🙂 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I would have loved to responded (probably wouldn't) by saying, I heard about security getting called about some inconsiderate Ahole playing loud music on their balcony. 😁 

Great comeback.  Wish I had thought of that at the time.

m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GetToLivin said:

Don't worry I saw it, no idea why it was moderated though, you were simply speaking from your own experiences. I appreciate your response, it was valuable and would have been nice for others to read, too 🙂 

A joke comment I made went away too. Not sure why, it was a convoy joke reference. I guess I should take that as a 10-4.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

A joke comment I made went away too. Not sure why, it was a convoy joke reference. I guess I should take that as a 10-4.

Thank you for the affirmation that I was not having "an episode". 😁

You comment was about something we lived through in the 1970s. I smiled when I read it.

9 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Thank you for the affirmation that I was not having "an episode". 😁

You comment was about something we lived through in the 1970s. I smiled when I read it.

Yes, I also tied in a 70s Jimmy Buffett lyric reference. You are not dreaming. 

• Thanks 1

Our table mates had a sad experience in Chops.  As you know, those tables for 2 are quite close to each other.  The table beside them were using their phone to watch a sports game with the sound on and could hear every play.  Our table mate endured it for a few minutes then quietly got up and talked to manager.  10 minutes later and no one had asked them to shut it off.  Our table mates got up mid meal and left.  Their romantic dinner was ruined.  

In the theater, they ask you to put your phone on silence.  It should be the same in restaurants.  This month I endured an R rated movie by the guy close us in the solarium.  Yes, I could have left but we were there first and shouldn’t have to leave.  I guess because it’s an adult area (solarium) it’s okay to have foul language repeated over and over from your iPad.  

We will play music very quietly on our balcony and would only listen to a movie or game on a plane or a ship with headphones or ear buds.  I don’t want to hear your game, sports or movie.  I won’t make you listen to mine.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Our table mates had a sad experience in Chops.  As you know, those tables for 2 are quite close to each other.  The table beside them were using their phone to watch a sports game with the sound on and could hear every play.  Our table mate endured it for a few minutes then quietly got up and talked to manager.  10 minutes later and no one had asked them to shut it off.  Our table mates got up mid meal and left.  Their romantic dinner was ruined.  

Why didn't they return to the manager and insist that something be done? 

Sadly, this is another example of the Carnivalization of Royal.  The cruise experience we loved (relaxed and moderately refined) has sailed away.  The short cruises are especially full of people that display a lack of regard for anyone’s experience other then their own.  Royal thinks they need these customers since they tend to spend more $$$ on drink packages, etc. We now completely avoid cruises from Florida that are less the 7 days, and may have to completely move to even longer cruises on Celebrity, although I’m certain things will go downhill there as well.

Edited by radarcruiser
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, radarcruiser said:

Sadly, this is another example of the Carnivalization of Royal.  The cruise experience we loved (relaxed and moderately refined) has sailed away.  The short cruises are especially full of people that display a lack of regard for anyone’s experience other then their own.  Royal thinks they need these customers since they tend to spend more $$$ on drink packages, etc. We now completely avoid cruises from Florida that are less the 7 days, and may have to completely move to even longer cruises on Celebrity, although I’m certain things will go downhill there as well.

Very astute observation and evaluation regarding cruise length and behavior.  Maybe this is becoming the transition process where cruisers who are older transition from the cruise vacations.

I still want to cruise, do not interpret this post as "I will never cruise again" nonsense.

Maybe RCI has hit a conversion point where the Megaships are specifically aimed for that new younger high end spending crowd (high end profits like the drink and dining packages) where the profits will be in the future. I heard corporate estimates that for every 'pre-cruise dollar spent', their are another '0.71 dollars spent'. Translation, that young cruiser couple spends $1,400 on one cabin two person pre-cruise drink package with another $700 of onboard expenditures resulting in a whopping $2,100 dollars on top of cabin and gratuities.

They just spent more than I would on my cruise just on additional packages and onboard purchases.

I have the feeling that I will be priced out soon and RCI will just treat it as collateral damage as they transition to the future.

Just some thoughts to ponder 🤔🤨.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

And apparently no one can use their phone unless it's used as a megaphone. I really don't need to hear everyone's conversations.

If people have their conversations on speaker, I feel free to join in and add commentary...

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

🤣

Oh my goodness, I would love to be the forth party hearing your third party comments 😂. I could make a "party" line call!  For all of you youngins, you have to watch the "Beverly Hillbillies" sponsored by Kellogg of Battlecreek in black and white TV in the early 1960s. Grammy use to love 'party line' calls where she could listen and eavesdrop on her neighbors.

I have no wish for any more drama than I currently have in life.😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Very astute observation and evaluation regarding cruise length and behavior.  Maybe this is becoming the transition process where cruisers who are older transition from the cruise vacations.

I still want to cruise, do not interpret this post as "I will never cruise again" nonsense.

Maybe RCI has hit a conversion point where the Megaships are specifically aimed for that new younger high end spending crowd (high end profits like the drink and dining packages) where the profits will be in the future. I heard corporate estimates that for every 'pre-cruise dollar spent', their are another '0.71 dollars spent'. Translation, that young cruiser couple spends $1,400 on one cabin two person pre-cruise drink package with another $700 of onboard expenditures resulting in a whopping $2,100 dollars on top of cabin and gratuities.

They just spent more than I would on my cruise just on additional packages and onboard purchases.

I have the feeling that I will be priced out soon and RCI will just treat it as collateral damage as they transition to the future.

Just some thoughts to ponder 🤔🤨.

Mic Drop!!!

I guess I am guilty of this.  I bring my portable speaker onto the balcony and relax.  I also play it in my room while I shower, and I bring it to the beach if someone else is with me.  Otherwise I listen to my pods.  

Note to self: bring noise cancelling headphones for peace and quiet….and blast obnoxious music as loudly as rude neighbors choose to. ☑️

All kidding aside, it’s the entitlement attitude these days.  Lacks any common courtesy toward your ‘neighbor’. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Nothing wrong with playing music.  But others may not enjoy yours, and would like to listen to theirs. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 3

On 12/24/2022 at 6:38 AM, radarcruiser said:

I think the pricing has a lot to do with it. The last few cruises I have booked on royal have been cheaper than a similar cruise on carnival. Lower pricing seems to keep bringing the party crowd with it.

• Like 3

Unfortunately it's not just cruise ships where this happens.  We live in a community with a pool.  Once a month over the summer they provide music by the pool,  live music or a DJ.  There have been people at the pool blasting their own music over the provided entertainment.  Usually doesn't last too long but don't get why people would think that's an OK thing to do.  We do live in an "it's all about me" society.

• Like 4

On 12/24/2022 at 12:28 PM, MommaBear55 said:

If people have their conversations on speaker, I feel free to join in and add commentary...

Oh, yes indeedy!  

"Ma'am, I couldn't help but overhear.  I think your son will be out of jail sooner than you think.  Most counties do a 2-for-1 where you get two days' credit for every day served!"       

Edited by Pellaz
"time" to "day"
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Why didn’t they have the chutzpah to handle it themselves?

We can understand not wanting to get into conflict with another guest.   It's our opinion that this was clearly a situation where a manager should have stepped in when a guest is disturbing other guests with loud noise.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, crazyank said:

We can understand not wanting to get into conflict with another guest.   It's our opinion that this was clearly a situation where a manager should have stepped in when a guest is disturbing other guests with loud noise.

But considering the failure of management to do this upon the 1st request; I sure wouldn’t have left dinner.  That’s just me, I have no problem standing up for myself.  

• Like 4

In response to the Chops incident…..

The gentleman did notify the manager and nothing was done.  He wisely didn’t confront the man himself.  We all know how that could go.  When they left the manager followed them out and tried to stop them from leaving, offered them a different table.  They shouldn’t have to move and they found that unacceptable because you’re afraid to confront the situation as a manager.  Another manager did follow up with them later and our table mates planned to notify corporate as they should.  

I know as ship employees this is hard.  You don’t want a scene and you want to try to make everyone happy.  But they need to have some guidelines and follow them for the enjoyment of all the passengers.  Our table mates simply spoke without words.  We would have probably stuck it out and just been mad.