Sanitation issue on Celebrity Apex

johnasmith99

A month ago we sailed on the Apex and loved everything about that beautiful ship.  One thing that surprised us was the lack of requirement, or even encouragement, for guests entering the Oceanview Cafe Buffet to use the handwash station. When my wife, and I, were properly washing our hands we repeatedly observed people walking right by the wash station, and even the sanitizer dispenser.  I estimate that 9 out of 10 did not wash, or sanitize.  We ate breakfast there every morning and several dinners.  This occurred every time. There were attendants at both entrances who never once said a word as people walked by. On our last cruise on the RCCL Quantum in May that would not have happened.  We are sharing the same utensils in the buffet, washing is the best way to minimize the transmission of unwanted pathogens.  

• Like 2

When we were on the Apex in May, the station was staffed and everyone entering was given a friendly but firm reminder to wash their hands. I never noticed anyone sliding by ( and I was really watching!).

I’m sorry to see the decline in Health protocols.  Another knock against the Celebrity brand.

• Like 1

As the well know comedian was quoted as saying….you can’t fix stupid.

My wife and I returned from three cruises in the past three months without COVID. Two cruises were on HAL, and one was on Celebrity. HAL had hand wash stations, and Celebrity had staff with sanitizer offerings.

I would estimate less than 10% of the HAL passengers used the hand wash stations. A higher %, (possibly 50% ?) of the folks on Celebrity accepted the hand sanitizer. 

We carry our own hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes, and have for years. We wipe down our cabin daily, the table & salt & pepper shakers, our hands after touching any utensils or common areas. This isn’t new to us because we did the same before COVID with norovirus always being a concern.

Everyone needs to take care of themselves. Do not assume others have the same hygiene and health standards as yourselves before or since COVID.

• Like 8

There have been a few threads identifying issues on Apex (e.g., food (although fleet wide concerns reported), tour group, this).  Is there any reason to think that Apex is especially slipping?  Perhaps onboard ship management is not up to their job?  Asking because hand washing on ships, especially before entering the buffet, has become a meme.  There are hundreds of videos from multiple years of the crew "personally" reminding passengers to washy washy or something along those lines. 

Some people think if they have visited the lavatory and washed hands there it's sufficient!! However  many times we have seen people leave the toilet area after washing and touch the door and or handles unaware of any "deposits"   left there by people not washing their hands.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johnasmith99 said:

A month ago we sailed on the Apex and loved everything about that beautiful ship.  One thing that surprised us was the lack of requirement, or even encouragement, for guests entering the Oceanview Cafe Buffet to use the handwash station. When my wife, and I, were properly washing our hands we repeatedly observed people walking right by the wash station, and even the sanitizer dispenser.  I estimate that 9 out of 10 did not wash, or sanitize.  We ate breakfast there every morning and several dinners.  This occurred every time. There were attendants at both entrances who never once said a word as people walked by. On our last cruise on the RCCL Quantum in May that would not have happened.  We are sharing the same utensils in the buffet, washing is the best way to minimize the transmission of unwanted pathogens.  

Did you speak with any management staff about this?  Problems on a ship can only be solved while on the ship……

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Some people think if they have visited the lavatory and washed hands there it's sufficient!! However  many times we have seen people leave the toilet area after washing and touch the door and or handles unaware of any "deposits"   left there by people not washing their hands.

The Apex has self opening doors for the WC 

Also not everyone is going  there to eat , sometimes you are just meeting people there 

maybe Celebrity  should have a sanitizer bottle where you pick up the plates 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Did you speak with any management staff about this?  Problems on a ship can only be solved while on the ship……

90% of the ships I have been on have this issue.  X or otherwise.  Good luck...

The ones that enforced this had noro on the previous cruise.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

I commented on this matter on the after cruise evaluation sent by email from Celebrity  as I also observed guests not cleaning their hands before entering Oceanview on Apex and the staff standing there not encouraging them to wash.

• Thanks 1

I have seen crew asking passengers entering to use sanitizer or the wash station, even taking a couple of steps in their direction with the sanitizer bottle and being blatantly ignored.  There is only so much the crew can do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I expected something totally different when I first read the title to this thread.  Good to know the Apex doesn't have a sanitation issue. 

I was thinking Carnival Triumph when I read the title... 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller

We were on Equinox last month and noticed a sharp drop in staff in front of the OVC entrances, MDR entrances, specialty restaurant entrances, and theater entrances reminding patrons to use hand sanitizer from what we'd seen on other X ships both before, during and after the Covid restrictions. We were wondering if this was a ship specific drop (we'd been on Equinox the year before and it was emphasized then) or a fleetwide drop.

7 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We were on Equinox last month and noticed a sharp drop in staff in front of the OVC entrances, MDR entrances, specialty restaurant entrances, and theater entrances reminding patrons to use hand sanitizer from what we'd seen on other X ships both before, during and after the Covid restrictions. We were wondering if this was a ship specific drop (we'd been on Equinox the year before and it was emphasized then) or a fleetwide drop.

The limiting of the buffet can only be a good thing in regards to spread of contagions ? Getting into a crowded elevator is also taking a chance ? We switched from Celebrity S class ships to E class ships just so our trips to the dedicated suite restaurant was more manageable via the stairs, Now we switched from E class to MSC suite class because they provide suite guests with elevator over rides, which when working properly, allow suite guests to summon (discretely)  an empty elevator and whisk one non-stop to floor desired.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Ah yes.  We have quite a few threads on people not washing their hands before going to the buffet.  I prefer the HAL model where they have servers because of this.

And that started pre Covid.  Should be across all lines !  

• Like 2

Unfortunately, no matter what Celebrity does, someone will complain.  If you are just responsible for yourself, you are in control.  Once you start watching others and complaining, you are just adding stess to your cruise.  Just do you!

• Like 4

You are aware of the issue so take steps to protect yourself. Crew can't force other pax to be responsible and wash/ sanitize. So keep your personal bottle of sanitizer or pack of wipes with you and use them after sitting down at your table with your plate, before starting to eat. Voila, problem solved.

• Thanks 2

While Cruise Critic is a wonderful site, postings here can’t fix things like this. The only way to get it fixed is to give immediate feedback while you are on the ship, to a supervisor, who can work with the crew members who may not be doing their jobs effectively.  It may require reassigning a crew member, or giving them additional training.  Coming home and writing about it isn’t going to make any difference to the crew’s behavior on the ship.  We all love to vent, but it won’t effect any change to write about it here.