The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Well, darn - I had 6 multi posts and they all went poof.

Clicked them and there was no space to post. - Not working.

Had to log out and log in to post and it’s all gone - so now I have to go by memory - grrr-  @StLouisCruisersknow you are going away soon, I should be able to type in a day or 2 once I figure out a position if you need my help to fill in.  And, thank you for all you have been doing.  It is very appreciated ♥️ 

@summer slopeyikes on your work on the bridge and the abscess - so sorry.

@rafinmd1 more day?  Sure beats what the night nurse said, thankfully.  Glad you are getting insulin (even if temporarily) and you are getting good care.

@kochleffelcongratulations on the upsell.  Nicely done!

@HeartgroveLily is a little sweetheart.  

Someone was sailing I wanted to wish Bon Voyage to.  Sorry.  I guess I’m having a senior moment or the pain pills are affecting me.  Pick either one 😉 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

My funny answering machine story: I worked for the postal service for over 30 years. Well, if you didn't use the 800-area code for FedEx and instead used the local area code, you reached my house. So, for quite a while my message said that you'd reached Loren and Susie's house where the Postal Service is our preferred shipper. And even then, people would leave their tracking number and ask where their package was! And when rotary dial phones were still in use, we had many 2 am calls for the local tow truck. Our number was one off from theirs. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

So, for quite a while my message said that you'd reached Loren and Susie's house where the Postal Service is our preferred shipper. And even then, people would leave their tracking number and ask where their package was!

Once I had a number that was similar to that of the emergency line of the gas company. I got a lot of calls, mostly from people who were enraged when their gas was turned off. A message saying "This is not the gas company. If you want the gas company, please dial...." scarcely reduced the number of angry messages.

And when I moved to a beach town in Connecticut, before the 203 area code was split so numbers were in short supply, I received one that had previously belonged to a business called Balloons by the Sea -- a sort of singing-telegram service, plus balloons. A message running "This is not Balloons by the Sea. Balloons by the Sea is OUT OF BUSINESS. This is not Balloons by the Sea. If you want to leave a message for anyone at this PRIVATE RESIDENCE...." had only slightly more effect, but Southern New England Telephone eventually agreed to change my number. When I answered the calls, people insisted that I was Balloons by the Sea and pleaded with me to take their orders.

Oh, and then there was the year of the air-traffic controllers' strike. I had a new number that was similar to an ATC center, which other ATC centers called at all hours of the day and night, until I got it changed. At least those callers could comprehend that they had dialed wrong.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Well they’ve been pressuring me to take Insulin because my blood sugar was rising, I think due to the stress while I have 20 years of successful self control.  Well it was down to 101 before dinner,so I hope that talk can be put to rest.

Roy 

I see that  you flatly refused the insulin.  I would have as well.  When I had my last knee replacement my BG was 126 an hour after dinner and they wanted to give me insulin.  I said no, not at that number!   

They used to let the BG go a bit higher than normal.  I remember the first knee and they thought 140 was good.  I asked a friend who is a physician and he said because they'd rather kill me slowly (high BG) than quickly (low BG).  Made sense.

• Like 12

Thank you so much Jacqui @kazu, John @Copper10-8, Valerie @JazzyV, Ann @cat shepard, and everyone else who has offered to help me out.  You can all fight over it while I cruise.  But I have a sneaking suspicion Roy is going to recuperate quickly and take charge by then!  We'll be happy to see you back here Roy.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The nurse may still be right; more antibiotics right now.  I am Part A only with Federal Blue Cross.

Roy

Roy, I have the same thing.  It’s good that you are there more than 23 hours.  That means Part A kicks in and pays the whole bill and you are no longer on observation.  That happened to me when I had the pulmonary emboli.  Part A did not pay because I was on observation and I ended up paying 80% of the BCBS.  Also in case you have to go for rehab BCBS pays for the first 100 days.

Hope this helps.

Terri

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Infection will also make the blood sugar go up

That was the first thing I thought of too, Vanessa.  Just being ill and stress will do it.  When I was so sick last month I had my highest ever blood sugar level -- even though I wasn't able to eat anything at all. 

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

That was the first thing I thought of too, Vanessa.  Just being ill and stress will do it.  When I was so sick last month I had my highest ever blood sugar level -- even though I wasn't able to eat anything at all. 

Yes illness, infection and stress all make cortisol levels go up, which raises blood sugar. That's why even non-diabetics, if put on a high enough dose of steroids, can have elevated blood sugars. I worried about that while initially on high dose steroids for my eyes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Good evening.  Weird day. I have some kind of bug — mild but there. I looked in a couple of times just to catch how Roy is doing. Seems like much better news on that front.

I don’t dare look at most of the other threads theses days.  (Except the World Cruisers.  They’re darling.)

Wishing all a very pleasant evening.

B712F45E-919A-4987-B9C8-86FF34FB9F5F.jpeg.6736ca3ab6f6baeb2e5bf095d7382327.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

Years ago I changed my phone number because of harassing calls.  The number they gave me had belonged to a Madam of the night, and when people asked about my girls?  I said they all had 4 legs and were covered with fur.  I got calls for three nights straight asking about my girls.  I called and got my  number changed again.

Roy, please take care of yourself.  And if you can figure out how to cough up a glob tonight on that nasty nurse,.....

There was so much going on today, and of course by the time I got off work, and sent my reports, I cant remember any of what I just read.  I just know I love you all.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Infection will also make the blood sugar go up, as well as the stress of hospitalization. I'm sure it will go back to your usual good control as you improve.

Not to mention, I’m sure you aren’t doing your normal walking laps.

• Like 4