Can a 19 year old drink beer?

geovet

5 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Sorry, no, not on a Carnival ship. I am sure some people do it on the sly. 

Probably so, but the consequences if caught can be severe, up to and including removal from the ship in the most egregious cases.

OP as stated depending on your itinerary he might be able to imbibe in port.

Of course he can, and you know that. What you really want to know is whether they will serve him. And the answer is no, though I do remember in the past reading that they will when the ship is in Europe. (Or I may be remembering incorrectly, and someone will correct me.)

5 hours ago, geovet said:

My son is 19 years old. Can he drink beer or wine. Do I need to do anything?

Thanks 

Royal Caribbean allowed 18-year-olds to buy beer and wine years ago when I was 18. It was awesome having a beer with my dad. Unfortunately, carnival doesn't allow this. 

6 hours ago, geovet said:

Hi @geovet🙂

An extremely quick & easy Google search (Age To Drink Alcohol Carnival Cruise) would've told you this (below).

20230130-142454.jpg

⬇️ And this ⬇️

20230130-140614.jpg

Edited by ObstructedView2

2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

An extremely quick & easy Google search (Age To Drink Alcohol Carnival Cruise) would've told you this (below).

If people just looked on the Carnival website for the official information, searched here for previous questions of the same type (for things like "why did that policy change" or "is the steak at the MDR any good" or "what can I wear to the MDR"), or Googled around for other useful information, then 90% of the posts would disappear.  😉

I know most people like to engage in conversation, and sometimes you get so used to asking your "peeps" you forget there is a whole world outside.

:shrug:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I cringe when I read these types of questions.  

I’ll probably get flamed for this, but as a sister and friend to 2  alcoholics, why in the world would a parent encourage this?

Alcohol is an acquired taste so the the more you have it, it becomes more tolerable and then even tasty.  Why start early?

We used to bring whiskey in shampoo bottles to the skating rink as  preteens. One of those teens is now an alcoholic.  Her boyfriend being killed at 18 in an auto accident did not stop her from drinking.  She is now 60 and recently slowed down. 

The OP’s son likely has had alcohol many times but I’m at a loss as to why a parent would push for this.  

Early drinking leads to higher lifetime alcohol risk.  

And don’t give me the stupid argument about being old enough to serve in the armed forces. IMO that too young too. 🤷‍♀️

Flame away.  

• Like 4

So much drama in here

On 1/30/2023 at 6:40 AM, geovet said:

Thanks 

So much drama in these replies. Here is my drama free answer to you: It is against Carnival's rules and the staff won't serve him. However you can order multiple drinks with your card at once as long as you don't have Cheers and paying ala carte. Whoever you give the additional drinks to is up to you and the staff won't care or think twice if you give some to your son. I see it on every single cruise and usually an adult offspring enjoying a drink with their parents is a lot less impactful on others than some complete drunks being overserved on their cheers. Enjoy!

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, audcc77 said:

I cringe when I read these types of questions.  

I’ll probably get flamed for this, but as a sister and friend to 2  alcoholics, why in the world would a parent encourage this?

Alcohol is an acquired taste so the the more you have it, it becomes more tolerable and then even tasty.  Why start early?

We used to bring whiskey in shampoo bottles to the skating rink as  preteens. One of those teens is now an alcoholic.  Her boyfriend being killed at 18 in an auto accident did not stop her from drinking.  She is now 60 and recently slowed down. 

The OP’s son likely has had alcohol many times but I’m at a loss as to why a parent would push for this.  

Early drinking leads to higher lifetime alcohol risk.  

And don’t give me the stupid argument about being old enough to serve in the armed forces. IMO that too young too. 🤷‍♀️

Flame away.  

I appreciate your experiences, but IMHO, abuse of alcohol often increases the more it is regulated.

The US is one of only a handful of countries in the world where the legal drinking age is so high.

The others, according to the Internet, are:

Cote d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, and Sri Lanka.

Iceland & Japan are two of the five that have the legal age as 20 years old.

Canada is 18 or 19 (depending on province).  

Australia, UK, France, Italy: 18 years old.

Austria, Germany, Spain, and large handful of other places, mostly in Europe: 16 or 17 years old.

And those Caribbean/tropical ports?  18 years old in the Bahamas, Mexico, Turks and Caicos, Barbados.

Oh, and Puerto Rico and the US virgin Islands?  18 years old.

So I think the age at which one can drink legally is not the core of the issue, it is other societal factors.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1