Returning after ship's departure on a port day

red919

We are considering a private shore excursion while on a Med cruise around Spain. They promise to get us back to the ship in time but it will be close and things do happen so wanted to see if anyone here has experience with this...

1. IF we should arrive back to ship after it has sailed, can we just meet the ship at the next port which is two days later and a mere train ride away?

And if not and as far as items left in our staterooms, thankfully we have friends on same trip who could carry them off when the cruise ends a few stops later in Barcelona so at least we have that.

2. Another worry is that in either case, will Celebrity charge us a penalty fee for not returning to the ship in time? 

We of course would alert the ship if we knew we were going to be too late to make departure so as not to hold things up on the ship's end...

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with these scenarios and what we should expect from Celebrity?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by red919

I have no experience with missing the boat and I'm not adventurous enough to book an excursion, especially over seas, where there is a chance of not getting back in time.  Is there a similar excursion offered through the ship?  If so, I'd book that one because if something happens, at least you know they will wait for you.  I would hate to have to go on an excursion with my passport and cash/cards in tow because we might miss the boat....I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about it 🙂.  Hopefully, someone with knowledge about meeting the ship at a different port and re-embarking can give you guidance.  I would imagine there is a penalty of some kind.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, red919 said:

We are considering a private shore excursion while on a Med cruise around Spain. They promise to get us back to the ship in time but it will be close and things do happen so wanted to see if anyone here has experience with this...

1. IF we should arrive back to ship after it has sailed, can we just meet the ship at the next port which is two days later and a mere train ride away?

And if not and as far as items left in our staterooms, we have friends on same trip who could carry them off when the cruise ends a few stops later in Barcelona.

2. Another worry is that in either case, will Celebrity charge us a penalty fee for not returning to the ship in time? 

We of course would alert the ship if we knew we were going to be late so as not to hold things up...

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with these scenarios and what we should expect from Celebrity?

Thanks in advance!

Does the ship offer the same excursion?   It would have to be one awesome and once in a lifetime excursion opportunity for me to take it knowing there is a high likelihood I could miss part or all of the remainder of the cruise.    Just my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Suggestion :

Cancel the excursion -- find something else.

You will spend the whole time thinking ( worrying ) about getting back in time.

It's not worth it.

( No, we were never in that situation --- but, did see " pier runners " on several cruises and once a couple waving " Good Bye " as we left port ).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't think there is a set answer here, as it may depend greatly on the ports, but it might be more trouble than you anticipate. Crew may pack up your things and leave them at the port. That's as much a security issue as anything else. 

In any case, you likely will need to coordinate through the line. I don't think it's as simple as strolling up to the gangway at the next port. 

I've never heard of a fine or other penalty imposed by the line for missing the ship, but there may be legal issues. 

• Thanks 1

Booking an excursion through the ship does not guarantee they will wait for you if your tour is delayed. 

The promise is that they will get you to the next port at their expense if you do miss the ship.

this would be a very unlikely circumstance , but it has happened (bad accident or similar)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are booking a private shore excursion for your party only, you should have control over what part of the excursion can be eliminated so you are not tight on time getting back to the ship.  I've done many private shore excursions over the years and we've never been close to being late getting back to the ship. 

Every private excursion operator I've used has been more than happy to adjust a schedule for us.  I'd talk to whomever you are booking with and see what can be adjusted.  I agree with others that you do not want to worry all day whether you'd get back on time.

To answer your questions, yes you can join the ship at the next port of call and no, I do not believe Celebrity charges you anything to reboard.  Of course, you'd need to contact them if you miss the ship.  All the contact numbers can be found in your cruise documents you are sent prior to the cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to all for your very helpful responses.  It definitely gives me something to think about.

As far as the private excursion, we wanted a day off the ship for just the two of us as we would be spending a lot of time enjoying our traveling companions both onboard and in other ports.  The tour operator practically laughed upon hearing my worries about not returning to the ship in time.  They come well recommended and have never had this issue, meaning they've always stayed up to date on road conditions, etc so would end the tour early to head back to the ship at the first sign of problems.

And yes, even agreed in writing to cover all hotel/transportation expenses should we not make the ship in time. 

That's all well and good as all bases are covered on THEIR end...I just wanted to know what to expect on Celebrity's end as like many of you, I've seen with my own eyes those poor fellow passengers standing sadly on the pier as we slowly sailed away.  My heart went out to them and I always wondered how the cruise line handled it.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, red919 said:

we wanted a day off the ship for just the two of us as we would be spending a lot of time enjoying our traveling companions both onboard and in other ports. 

Not a suggestion--- Only what we do .

Prior to booking a cruise with friends we set " ground rules " and never had any problems:

1-- Do whatever you ( we ) want during the day--- see you at dinner at our reserved time.

2-- If we notice a pineapple on their door ---- Really ??? --- I would never have thought !!

( Never happened--- his bum leg and her sore " everything " ).

• Haha 2

We have done hundreds of private tours mostly in Europe and never had a problem, not even a close call.    The tour operations life depends on making sure they aren't the cause of missing a departure.  Of course things can happen.   

I always plan our tours so we will be back to the ship about 1 1/2 hours before sailing.   Yes you can join the ship again at the next port.   Just make sure you don't miss the last port before a TransAtlantic (LOL). 

In the daily planner for each port they list the Port Agent as well as contact for things like the U.S. Consulate or Embassy.    I usually take a picture just in case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

We have actually arrived back to the Summit late in St Kitts. We were on a Celebrity excursion. They did wait for us, but it was only like 15-30 minutes. I think they only waited, because the tour guide was in constant contact with Celebrity once he/they realized we would be late. I don't even understand how we ended up late. I think some people were dawdling, some people had to use the bathroom at the last minute and there was only 1, and the zipline part was just slow. I just remember waiting around a lot for other people.

• Thanks 1

How far from port is your excursion taking you?

If it is only the 2 of you, I would review the itinerary carefully and decide what stop ought to be skipped in order to get you back to the ship at least an hour before sailaway time,

Keep in mind that "all aboard" is typically 30 minutes before the ship's scheduled departure, so if Celebrity's itinerary states port times are, e.g. 7am-4pm, figure 3:30 is when you should be back. And, if it is a tender port, you will be lucky to disembark on the earliest tender to shore.

• Thanks 1

I have been the second to last person to get on the ship.

The last person was my husband.

Now, more than 13 years later, it is funny to think about but at the time it was terrifying.

Lest you think I was negligent, distracted, lazy, or drunk (just a tiny bit 🙂 but non-contributory to the problem which occurred)... this was a confluence of terrible events.

I booked a private sailboat trip which included RT cab transportation. The trip there was no problem.  On the way back, the driver that the crew had arranged never showed. And never showed. And never showed. They eventually found another cab who was quite some distance away but came to get us.   When we were nearing the port area (Tortola) it was experiencing a lot of construction work and road improvements. The work had been suspended during the time the ship was docked but the construction barriers and such had gone back up since the pax were all (supposed to be) back on board... our driver could not get us any kind of close to the ship.  We ended up running the last 1/2 mile or so in flip flops and swimsuits. 

We left plenty of time for our trip back (never want to cut it TOO close...) We always try to arrive back at least an hour, usually more before departure. We had our watches on the right time zone. We made our reservations with a reputable company whom we assumed contracted with reputable cab drivers...

They were hauling up the gangway as we approached.  We got a stern lecture from the security crew.  We went immediately up the elevator and were moving by the time we got off.

The next stop was Labadee, Haiti--- less than a week after the catastrophic earthquake they experienced in 2010.  Not sure we could've gotten from Tortola to Haiti to catch the ship if we had to.

Good luck 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our sailing last month a woman was late returning.  They did wait for about 1/2 hr after scheduled departure time with white shirts running up and down the pier.   I did see security hand the port agent the woman's passport.  She did make it onboard and we were probably moving before she got to the elevator.

They will go into your cabin and try to locate your travel documents (including in the safe) and leave them with the port agent.   Your other belongings are going to stay on the ship.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Thanks 1

I hope that Host Anne has put some of your concerns to rest. It is highly unlikely that any experienced tour provider would fail to get you back to the ship in time, but stuff happens. Rarely, but there you are. 

Just in case, I'd recommend bringing your passports with you tucked away safely in a money belt or neck pouch under your clothing. If the worst happens, you might need it to fly, or to check into a hotel, depending on the country you are in

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, red919 said:

What excursion is worth losing a day and a half on board the ship for?! And having to pay for accommodate\ions and transportation to catch up with the ship. Hey, something might happen and the skip that port so now you are doing it all over for another port.

My suggestion: rethink doing that excursion.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

2-- If we notice a pineapple on their door ---- Really ??? --- I would never have thought !!

( Never happened--- his bum leg and her sore " everything " ).

Hey! There's a lid for every pot. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I haven’t booked an excursion through the cruise line in years. Always book private excursions and have never been concerned about missing the ship. Well, we were concerned once in Florence but the guide got us back to the ship exactly when he said he would and it was still in time. 

And I’m a control freak.  These types of things are exactly what I would normally worry about. “On time is late” is my motto. But we know that well respected tour companies would go out of business if their guides missed departure times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We had a near miss when we took a private air tour out of Ketchikan with a very highly recommended tour operator on these boards. We were in the air with 2 other couples when the pilot asked if we wanted to go down to take a closer look at a bear that she spotted. I asked if we had time since we needed to be back at the ship by ... She looked shocked that she forgot we were on the Millenium and not on the HA ship the other 2 couples were on. She did say she would lodge us overnight and fly us to Juneau if we missed the ship, but we made it to the ship as they were finishing storing the gang plank. They fortunately put it back down and let us onboard. It was very embarassing. We still book private tours but always confirm we'll back to the ship at least 1-1/2hrs before sail away before we leave for the tour. 

• Thanks 1

It all depends on your risk tolerance - if you book independently just be aware that things could possibly go wrong, and bring your passport and some cash with you - unless you are one of those people that refuse to travel with a passport (because you don’t have one) or don’t feel that it is necessary to bring a $ ashore because you r3fuse to spend anything off the ship.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

If you are booking a private shore excursion for your party only, you should have control over what part of the excursion can be eliminated so you are not tight on time getting back to the ship.  I've done many private shore excursions over the years and we've never been close to being late getting back to the ship. 

Every private excursion operator I've used has been more than happy to adjust a schedule for us.  I'd talk to whomever you are booking with and see what can be adjusted.  I agree with others that you do not want to worry all day whether you'd get back on time.

To answer your questions, yes you can join the ship at the next port of call and no, I do not believe Celebrity charges you anything to reboard.  Of course, you'd need to contact them if you miss the ship.  All the contact numbers can be found in your cruise documents you are sent prior to the cruise.

I was clearly told by the executive office that if we missed the ship that we could NOT rejoin the cruise at the next port.  Was told safe contents and RX would be left with the port agent.  Could reclaim clothing at final port.

Think it is nonsense, but lots is crazy

today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, red919 said:

And if not and as far as items left in our staterooms, thankfully we have friends on same trip who could carry them off when the cruise ends a few stops later in Barcelona so at least we have that.

We of course would alert the ship if we knew we were going to be too late to make departure so as not to hold things up on the ship's end...

Thanks in advance!

what exactly are you planning?

49 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I was clearly told by the executive office that if we missed the ship that we could NOT rejoin the cruise at the next port.  Was told safe contents and RX would be left with the port agent.  Could reclaim clothing at final port.

Think it is nonsense, but lots is crazy

today.

Total Agree...I think in the past you could rejoin the ship in a different port but times have changed..

Coming from a Lifetime in First Response (Police/Fire/Emt)and my military service tells me that anything can happen especially in Europe to delay you getting back to the ship...

• Thanks 1