Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

Hubby and I have always loved Royal.  It was perfect for us.  Just like other cruise lines, they seem to be cutting corners all over and lowering the quality of food.  It has hubby and I considering changing to another more expensive (or less expensive) line to get more value and a better experience?

The MDR menu changes really have me concerned.  

Anyone else?

• Like 1

MDR changes?

1 menu during 7 day cruise?

We are on Symphony this week. New menus, but NOT the same menu every night as NCL PRIMA.

Only 1 lobster tail, you pay for more. Some lines don't offer lobster at all.

Check out other lines, they are really cutting back, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have you had the new  menus or just posting? I just read someone saying dont pre judge, they loved the new menus.

I've booked thru 2024 and will wait to book more. Lots of life changes more so than the prices. I might even neve to Florida sooner rather than later. 

I'm supposed to be cruising now but broke my wrist and other big issues. 

The price increases don't seem abnormal to me, and certainly aren't prohibitive to me cruising. There's also SO much food on a cruise. I can't imagine not being able to find at least one thing per meal that I'd like to eat. My last cruise in November had more food than I could possibly eat, and everything I did eat was good enough that I would eat it again. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't think the prices are higher, at least beyond the expected annual rises.

well, I beg to differ... You may be talking about non-school holiday sailings, but unfortunately, having a non-home schooled kid, we are limited as to when we can cruise.

I priced several cruises on RCI for this and next year and they are basically unattainable. So, yeah, I started looking at other lines and even booked MSC for less than half the price of a comparable RCI cruise. And that price includes drinks and wifi.

Will the entertainment be worse than RCI's? Yes. Am I bringing 6 people instead of 3 for this price? Also a yes.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, I beg to differ... You may be talking about non-school holiday sailings, but unfortunately, having a non-home schooled kid, we are limited as to when we can cruise.

I priced several cruises on RCI for this and next year and they are basically unattainable. So, yeah, I started looking at other lines and even booked MSC for half the price of a comparable RCI cruise.

My March spring break cruise this year is a little on the expensive side, but it's also 8 nights.  My July cruise is reasonable. For next year, I've got a 7 nighter during spring break that's comparable to prices I've paid in the past, then a June cruise that's as cheap per day as I've ever paid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My March spring break cruise this year is a little on the expensive side

For THIS year's spring break I managed to snag a KSF sale which put me at $2,300 in an inside for the 3 of us. But I snagged it over a year ago when prices were still decent. Next year's spring break make it a $2,700 on Oasis in an inside or $2,900 on Ody in an inside.  This Thanksgiving make it a $5,200 for the 3 of us in a balcony on RCI and $2,200 on MSC's Seascape. The choice is quite clear.

Why pay over $5K on an RCI ship when you can pay $2,200 for a balcony + drinks and wifi on the newest MSC ship?

Of course, just like people are paying $300 pp for the Beach club on Cococay when it's not really worth more than $70 pp, RCI will charge as much as they want as long as people keep paying it... But some of us will definitely start looking elsewhere.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not considering changing lines but just considering a hiatus altogether for a while. Just got off a cruise and it was not enjoyable at all.

Food sucked. The menu is obviously redesigned to use cheaper ingredients and lesser amounts. The prime rib was definitely not prime. Mexican night is two slices of cheap skirt steak. Caribbean night was a dry tough pork chop with one slice of a plantain and a glob of rice. No more duck Al orange. Lamb shank instead of chops. Giovanni’s was still very good but the servings were cut in half. 
The clientele was for the most part Carnival rejects. 
Prices are up so much I’m not really even looking anymore. 
(Just my opinion. Flame me if you want)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

We cruised MSC for the New Year's Eve 10 night cruise on Divina. I love cruising and prefer Royal, but have tried a few others. What a disappointment! Mediocre MDR, terrible buffet, and disappointing entertainment.

We won't sail MSC again!

Barb

• Thanks 1

If there was a true consensus that one of the mass market or superior mass market lines was offering markedly better food or service I would be inclined to patronize them.

But everyone is cutting, so either have to move up to Azamara or above or upscale land packages if the changes are too much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

We cruised MSC for the New Year's Eve 10 night cruise on Divina. I love cruising and prefer Royal, but have tried a few others. What a disappointment! Mediocre MDR, terrible buffet, and disappointing entertainment.

We won't sail MSC again!

Barb

It would be nice to clarify the Class of ships one is comparing from one line to another.  

MSC Divina is Pre-Seaside Class, Pre-Meraviglia Class (and the upcoming World Class) and it would be more comparable for comparison of Seaside Class to Royal Quantum and Meraviglia to Oasis for example.

As such, it would be unbalanced If one were to sail on a Radiance Class Royal or Freedom Class Royal and state to confirm one would never sail Royal again, even though that would be based with unexperienced cruises in the Quantum and Oasis Class (and the upcoming Icon Class).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I have never been loyal to any one cruise line so it’s not abnormal for me to switch.

I am leaving Royal for a little while but for several reasons. The number one reason for me is that I don’t want to deal with airlines right now so I will be leaving from one of my closest cruise ports and that limits my options. While I love the ships we currently have in NJ, I’m not a fan of repeating the same class of ship doing the exact same itinerary. 

My need for something different AND the increase in price have led me to book different itineraries on other cruise lines. 

If the rumor  that Odyssey is doing a season in NJ in 2025 turns out to be true I hope to be on that.

I will reserve my opinions on the new menus until I try them myself.

• Like 4

My frequency of cruising is definitely slowing down now. I used to count on finding bargains at this time of year and they just aren't happening out of Bayonne. If I'm flying to south Florida, it will probably be to go on Virgin again, their food was well above Royal or Norwegian. They don't have the same style of entertainment, not an issue for me but I know it is for some.

Not yet having been subjected to this reduced quality food options, I’ll wait to judge. 

Higher prices don’t bother me a bit. I have my limits, I keep seeing cruises within those limits. 

Only sailing on four Royal cruises in 2023, gotta use up some of our Princess credits. 

The higher prices, cutbacks, and changes have changed our opinion of cruising to the point of not going at all on any line, in any category of cabins. We went fro spending $12-$15 k a year to about $12 k since December 2016 with 0 since the pandemic started. No regrets.

• Like 3

We are lucky enough to be able to choose to sail pretty much year-round, so we cruise based on prices we find throughout the year that fall within our "good deal" range, which really hasn't changed in years.  If you're lucky enough to be choosy, deals are out there.  

Haven't set foot in an MDR in many years, so the new menus don't matter to us in the least. 

Bottom line for us...nothing has changed with Royal (yet) which has caused us to move elsewhere. 

YMMV, and every person's comfort zone is different.  How all y'all spend your vacation dollars is purely a private matter, and it's not up to me to decide if someone else making the wrong decision for themselves.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The higher prices, cutbacks, and changes have changed our opinion of cruising to the point of not going at all on any line, in any category of cabins. We went fro spending $12-$15 k a year to about $12 k since December 2016 with 0 since the pandemic started. No regrets.

Higher prices, cutbacks and changes are affecting the entire tourism industry, not just cruising.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the new menus until I try, so no opinion there.  We've sailed on RC four times in 2022, and had only good to excellent experiences each time, in all aspects.

As to prices, we book with a group arrangement that includes bus to the port, gratuities, and more, so I can't precisely compare cruise-only prices.  However, we can book a year ahead, and nothing will change, so we're covered if prices go up.  This has worked well for us, and we have four more booked. 

Edited by shipgeeks
words