Butler confusion...

Michele035

Hi, we are traveling on the Beyond in 2 weeks and very excited to be in the Retreat in a Celebrity Suite.  I had searched the boards about what a "butler" (although I think the name is changed) does.  Someone had said something about filling your mini fridge with your drinks (both alcoholic and non) preference.  When the concierge reached out to us via email recently I had a few questions including about the mini fridge.  I was told it wasn't included in the drink package and we could NOT have it filled with our drink preference.  So now I am confused.  Any clarification would be appreciated!  TIA

Just now, Michele035 said:

Hi, we are traveling on the Beyond in 2 weeks and very excited to be in the Retreat in a Celebrity Suite.  I had searched the boards about what a "butler" (although I think the name is changed) does.  Someone had said something about filling your mini fridge with your drinks (both alcoholic and non) preference.  When the concierge reached out to us via email recently I had a few questions including about the mini fridge.  I was told it wasn't included in the drink package and we could NOT have it filled with our drink preference.  So now I am confused.  Any clarification would be appreciated!  TIA

Talk to your butler on day 1.  They will let you know what they can provide.  Recently on our cruise, our butler kept our mini-fridge stocked with soft drinks (of our choice), bottled water (plain and sparkling), and beer (of our choice).  

• Like 4

I think the Minibar official is not included in the drink package.  Many of the Butler's (usually ones with seniority) will be kind to your and stock your refrigerator daily if you have a drinks package.   Others that are new to the position follow the rules.

I find it easiest to ask if items in the refrigerator are included in the drink package and ask if he couple stock a couple beers or mixers.    They know it will probably earn them a more generous tip.

If he won't just pick up a couple extra's at Retreat and stock yourself and ask him to empty your refrigerator which is probably more work them him providing the service.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Talk to your butler on day 1.  They will let you know what they can provide.  Recently on our cruise, our butler kept our mini-fridge stocked with soft drinks (of our choice), bottled water (plain and sparkling), and beer (of our choice).  

We had the same experience in a CS recently.

• Like 1

We've never asked to stock mini fridge, but on every cruise in Sky Suites our butlers have always given us at least one bottle of wine, red or white as we like. And usually we get a second or third bottle as well. We always have the butler take away the awful "sparkling wine" that appears on embarkation day and replace it with a requested wine, usually Decoy cab. 

Edited by 39august
  • Like 2

Your butler is there to take care of you and make your cruise more enjoyable.  The good ones will recognize that if you have a drink package, there is no reason not to keep your refrigerator stocked, even though that is not official "policy"  in the lower suites.  They make a living by earning good tips, so it is in their best interest to do a good job taking care of you.

• Like 3

The official rule is the minibar is not included but they will almost always stock it for you especially with non-alcoholic items. I had a couple empty Seagram’s club soda cans in the bin and came back to the refrigerator stocked with a few for more without asking. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Same for us last week. 

• Like 1

Our butler on the Silhouette last fall told us that the mini-fridge/-bar wasn't included but that he could restock it "on the sly" with water, soda and beer -- but not wine or liquor.

At first we thought "Cool!" but after a few days, he became inattentive. At that point, we realized we could readily bring back a few bottles of water/soda from any bar whenever we wished because of our drink package, which we did. Also, we ordered room service a few times late at night and asked for a bottle or two of water/beer more than we wanted and stuck those in the mini-fridge. Finally, we befriended a few bartenders by then who also let us take a beer or two "home."

Bottom line, other than wine or liquor, you should be able to keep your cabin supplied on your own, if necessary. Hopefully it won't be and you have a fabulous butler (or whatever they are called now) who keeps your cabin stocked!

cjr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michele035 said:

Hope you have a great time Michele, push comes to shove you could get your drinks from the bar and fill the fridge yourself. I was always confused why our fridge (not in a suite) was always full of beer. Wasn’t the concierge but my drunkard husband who brought them unopened to our room a few times a day 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Michele035 said:

The name has changed, and then changed back.  

On our last cruise, the butler asked us what our favorite drinks were, and from then on kept the mixers and glass or two of the liquor in the fridge. One day I had a Bud Light and left the empty in the room, the next day there were a couple in the fridge.  The point being, that is you have a really good butler you won’t have to ask them.

• Like 1

I found that not being too demanding up front and not treating him as your own personal servant gets better results.  

I don’t know where people came up with the idea to give them a check list of what they want and expect.  That is rude.  I seen this on another thread where they did that and were irate because their demands weren’t granted.   They said that the butler just took the paper and shoved it in his pocket without looking at it and never gave them anything that they requested 

On the first day they should try to contact you.   Naturally if you aren’t in the cabin they wont be able to do that but don’t hang around for it as it may not happen.  They are busy meeting with other guests.   They will eventually meet you.  

When you do meet they usually will tell you what can they do for you.  Just listen and be polite.   Don’t start making demands.   When they are done get to know them as a person and take interest in them,  then politely ask if it is possible to maybe serve ( example americano in the morning).       It will lead to good and better things.  Trust me    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

19 hours ago, miched said:

I found that not being too demanding up front and not treating him as your own personal servant gets better results.  

I don’t know where people came up with the idea to give them a check list of what they want and expect.  That is rude.  I seen this on another thread where they did that and were irate because their demands weren’t granted.   They said that the butler just took the paper and shoved it in his pocket without looking at it and never gave them anything that they requested 

On the first day they should try to contact you.   Naturally if you aren’t in the cabin they wont be able to do that but don’t hang around for it as it may not happen.  They are busy meeting with other guests.   They will eventually meet you.  

When you do meet they usually will tell you what can they do for you.  Just listen and be polite.   Don’t start making demands.   When they are done get to know them as a person and take interest in them,  then politely ask if it is possible to maybe serve ( example americano in the morning).       It will lead to good and better things.  Trust me    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

this is awesome!  thank  you so much!  I also remember someone mentioning a written list to give them.  No, I don't think I could ever be that person.  I am just so darned happy to be in a suite! 🙂

We take a copy of the email we sent to the shore side concierge in case there is any confusion over what we requested.  However, we would not give a list of wants to the butler when we met him or her. We do let them know that we will be requesting coffee every morning and maybe cereal, fruit or pastries. A lot of the butlers take notes upon meeting you. 

We have been providing our butler a list on every cruise.  It indicates what night(s) we are specialty dining (reservations are made prior to boarding), what night we will be dining in our suite (we want to provide a few days notice so that our butler can plan accordingly (we do not request having our meal served course by course, booked shore excursions, etc.  Anything that will make it easier for him/her!

I print out a copy of the communication between Shoreside and I and leave it on the dining table.

I certainly do not find this to be rude at all.  If it helps the staff to better know know schedules so be it.  It has always worked out well for us and hopefully the crew as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, islabahia said:

We have been providing our butler a list on every cruise.  It indicates what night(s) we are specialty dining (reservations are made prior to boarding), what night we will be dining in our suite (we want to provide a few days notice so that our butler can plan accordingly (we do not request having our meal served course by course, booked shore excursions, etc.  Anything that will make it easier for him/her!

I print out a copy of the communication between Shoreside and I and leave it on the dining table.

I certainly do not find this to be rude at all.  If it helps the staff to better know know schedules so be it.  It has always worked out well for us and hopefully the crew as well.

it’s not rude at all and as you stated giving the butler a few days notice on in suite dining definitely helps them w their schedule