FLL Best of the Not Great Hotels

Cbktpf

Based on wise input from CC board, we’re arriving to FLL the day before our transatlantic cruise on the Edge. Hotels near airport or closer to Port Everglades all have less than stellar reviews. Sadly, my cousin who lived in Pompano Beach sold his home and left us without pre/post cruise accommodations and transport! Any hotel recommendations?

Edited by Cbktpf

4 minutes ago, Cbktpf said:

Based on wise input from CC board, we’re arriving to FLL the day before our transatlantic cruise on the Edge. Hotels near airport or closer to Port Everglades all have less than stellar reviews. Sadly, my cousin who lived in Pompano Beach sold his home and left us without pre/post cruise accommodations and transport! Any hotel recommendations?

Hyatt Centric Las Olas. Can get free night with Chase Hyatt card.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cbktpf said:

Almost every time we have sailed out of FLL we have stayed at the Renaissance Hotel Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port on 17th Avenue.  It's a straight shot to the cruise port from the hotel. 

• Like 1

We like to stay at the springhill suites ft lauderdale airport. There’s also a hyatt place and hilton garden inn in the same complex. 
There’s a great cuban restaurant within walking distance and also a really good breakfast restaurant too (if we feel like more than the continental breakfast at the springhill)

But what I really love is the tj maxx and ross stores that I can walk to and get my shop on! (We don’t have these stores in Canada)

076683D5-0837-453F-A9C7-14DD4962072E.jpeg

We also prefer Hyatt Place on 10th and have stayed in Renaissance on 17th also. These are both very nice hotels. Free breakfast at Hyatt Place. Nothing free at Renaissance. 

Edited by 39august

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Almost every time we have sailed out of FLL we have stayed at the Renaissance Hotel Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port on 17th Avenue.  It's a straight shot to the cruise port from the hotel. 

We always stay there as well!!!

Ditto on the Renaissance, very convenient to many restaurants withen walking distance. Can walk out to the causeway and see the ships come in , from the rooms also but I just get a coffee and wander to the bridge and then walk around the area 

I always stay at The Riverside on Las Olas Blvd. Been there at least 1/2 dozen times over the years, most recently back in January. Love the location and I love this property🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

\

Another vote for the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale! Lots of restaurants in walking distance, and nice pool area too.

Le Meridien is a new Marriott near the airport. You have to Lyft/Uber/taxi to any interesting food options and you can't see the ships from it...But, it was a 15 min ride to the port the next day. It is really a good value, super clean, nice and the lobby and rooms reminded me of the much more expensive Marriott Harbor Beach Resort, which is still our first choice...but typically twice to three times the price.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

do these or any hotels let you check in way early? flight getting there at 1130 the day before the cruise so with bags etc probably could be at hotel at 1230

Checking in early is ALWAYS a function of availability. They are too busy to hold a room free over night when they could sell it.

If you have sailed out of Ft Lauderdale, you probably have experienced the huge turnover of hotel rooms each morning as tens of thousands board ships most days.

Virtually any hotel will hold your luggage until you can check in. In fact several hotels there have big set ups to hold luggage...again because of the huge turnover in rooms most days.

13 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i had not flown for a cruise at all. and only one other ship in port on that tuesday so maybe ill get lucky monday with an empty hotel?

Maybe...but again, they will hold your bags. If their occupancy is low, they may not staff maids as high as other days, so room turnover still might be slow.

22 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i had not flown for a cruise at all. and only one other ship in port on that tuesday so maybe ill get lucky monday with an empty hotel?

Occupancy also depends on whether there are any local special events on the calendar.  If you have status (the higher the better) with the hotel chain that can also help.

i researched 3 hotels recommended in this thread for my october trip. low price was 144 up over 200. i know on tripadvisor some reviews are bogus or not material to my stay but if someone posts pics it does make it seem dicey. i dont need a modern bathroom for example but some pics i saw was really bad. i guess there are good and bad rooms in every hotel. one of them had a HUGE amount of positive front clerk raves but then i wonder did that cloud their judgement on the rooms. and if reviews in the past year say how old and worn out it is, i find that hard to ignore especially when there are pics of gross tubs etc. 

i thought maybe id try out away a bit more from the airport and see or adjusting the ratings to higher. im happy staying in hampton if its clean and convenient. dont need the 4 seasons 🙂