Unfair Sanctuary Practice

SW.FloridaPhil

7 hours ago, TYCruise said:

Maybe they should eliminate the "whole cruise" option.  Seems like it would be put to better use if people only booked the times that they plan on using it and it would increase capacity. 

That was my thought too. Allow a limited booking and let people add later if there are still times available.

I have to say, we have been on three Caribbean cruises with Princess and been able to get times in the sanctuary for two of the three, and the third we didn't try. The last one we were a group of 8 and even added an afternoon later in the week. So it isn't always sold out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

But do they refund you on a day-by-day basis if you dont show up, or if you call to cancel that day?

They do not refund you if you don’t show up.  You purchase the weekly pass and that’s the end of the story since it’s a discounted amount.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Personally, I like that there's such a demand for cruising "extras" because it helps subsidize my cruising.  

That has always been my point of view.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Since those chairs are sold at a premium and the demand is so high, they should at least double the price to curtail the crowd from booking them. Princess is missing out an a chance to make more profits. 

As do we. If people really want those chairs, they will pay the price, no matter what the charge.

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Princess needs to adjust the price upward, until this isn't a problem.

Then when sales are slow, offer a special.

There are many posts by people explaining their planned scheme to be on board first, and then race to the sanctuary to book.

I could see a price double for all Caribbean sector voyages and perhaps add in the Mexico west coast cruises.  Leave the rest at current prices.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TYCruise said:

Maybe they should eliminate the "whole cruise" option.  Seems like it would be put to better use if people only booked the times that they plan on using it and it would increase capacity. 

Exactly! Let each cabin book one slot only per cruise  - that way it spreads the opportunity around to others. Also, the booking should be charged to your account at the time of booking - non-refundable.

6 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Exactly! Let each cabin book one slot only per cruise  - that way it spreads the opportunity around to others. Also, the booking should be charged to your account at the time of booking - non-refundable.

But then everyone would want to book on sea days, and not on port days. 

The current system allows Princess to maximise revenue.

Just now, wowzz said:

But then everyone would want to book on sea days, and not on port days. 

The current system allows Princess to maximise revenue.

Sounds as though it's so popular that it would fill up anyway, sea day or port day and Princess would still rake in the same amount (more in fact as there would be no discount for a weekly pass).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

It is frustrating but even more so is that many people reserve a spot and then don’t show up or have the decency to cancel the reservation. Princess doesn’t charge them if they don’t show up and we have seen many empty loungers while in the Sanctuary. It is too bad that it is done that way. Cruisers are disappointed and Princess is losing money by also not charging no shows. 

I booked a complete week on Caribbean Princess and was not feeling well one day so I stayed in my stateroom. I was charged for that day.

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, Little Sister said:

I wish they would have left the old set up alone. They removed a lot of loungers to install the higher dollar cabanas and I just do not think the money they command equals what the loungers alone did.

On some ships they put Cabanas outside of the Sanctuary space near the retreat pool, but still part of sanctuary.

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Since those chairs are sold at a premium and the demand is so high, they should at least double the price to curtail the crowd from booking them. Princess is missing out an a chance to make more profits. 

As do we. If people really want those chairs, they will pay the price, no matter what the charge.

This, at least on warm itineraries. It makes no sense that people are rushing on board and still being disappointed. There is obviously enough demand for a huge price increase.  

Or, better yet,  figure out a bidding process as for cabins. Highest bidders get first choice of chair location. Six years of higher business education and the one economic lesson that stuck with me the most is to maximize the area under the demand curve, as bidding does. Current Sanctuary pricing does the opposite of that. 

• Like 4

On 5/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Personally, I like that there's such a demand for cruising "extras" because it helps subsidize my cruising.  

Sounds like they need to raise prices for the Sanctuary.  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 1:47 PM, SW.FloridaPhil said:

When sailing on a ship with a Sanctuary area, you can book for single days or the whole cruise. Every time we sail, we rush to the Sanctuary to be able enjoy this area, only to be told that all spots are sold out. We were one of the first to board, and went straight to the Sanctuary even before going to muster station. Seems that the guests doing a b2b booked for both weeks and we were put on a cancellation list. 

How is this fair?

book a b2b.  Things aren't always fair.  I'm sure people in suites are booked before people get on the ship

On 5/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, Kay S said:

On HAL, I hang out in the Crow's Nest a lot.  I also sit on the veranda.  I never book the Sanctuary on Princess.  My balcony is good enough for me, but DH is still miffed about Princess charging to sit at the front of the ship (with the great views.)

Book a forward cabin. They are wonderful with a huge balcony!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Princess needs to adjust the price upward, until this isn't a problem.

People also report that they they can't get a reservation for a specialty restaurant.

So by your logic, Princess should raise those prices also.

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
8 hours ago, caribill said:

People also report that they they can't get a reservation for a specialty restaurant.

They did that a few weeks ago.

19 minutes ago, caribill said:

Maybe Princess should stop selling packages which include as part of their cost, 2 dinners in a specialty restaurant. In effect, they're selling the dinner without being sure they have the capacity to fulfil that. That would be like letting people pay for a booking in the Sanctuary but when it came time to book a slot, there were none available.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gerig said:

Things aren't always fair.  I'm sure people in suites are booked before people get on the ship

Cabin category does not enter into the sanctuary reservation process whether the passenger is just embarking the ship or is on a B2B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Cabin category does not enter into the sanctuary reservation process whether the passenger is just embarking the ship or is on a B2B.

During the trial of the suite holders VIP lounge in Ft. Lauderdale, people were/are able to book the Sanctuary before boarding.  So that ability could expand in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

The difference, I would say, is that specialty dining is able to be booked ahead of time online. And as another poster noted,  they actually did recently raise the price. 

Also, there are many more specialty dining slots than sanctuary loungers!

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

During the trial of the suite holders VIP lounge in Ft. Lauderdale, people were/are able to book the Sanctuary before boarding.  So that ability could expand in the future.

That's interesting.  Do you know how they managed the process?  Did they have a map of available loungers and just mark them off as they were booked (thus replicating the on-board process)?

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Which they just recently did. 

People are more accepting when prices are gradually raised. 

image.png.5d2fd940386febeedcec37857df5e9ab.png

• Like 1