Bad manners on ship

I went on a cruise last year.   The first tour excursion me and my partner took and I noticed some people were coughing.  They never wore a mask and they never covered their mouths when coughing. 

Time on the ship was the same and especially the buffet.  Lots of people with coughs and no manners.  Coughing into other peoples directions and even over food.  Or some people coughed into their hands and then used the buffet utensils. 

I did not like my time on holidays and I became unwell too. 

My partner would like to book a holiday and another cruise but I am apprehensive due to last year's holiday. There was so much bad manners. 

Is there any particular type of cruise where people maintain manners? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW, a friend takes a medication which regularly causes a dry cough. The doctor acknowledges that this is a common symptom, and that there is no health concern (for him, or for people around him).  He does, of course, cover his mouth/use a handkerchief when this occurs.

I agree that, unfortunately, there are people who are careless and rude, and do not follow common hygiene and courtesy guidelines.  But sometimes things might not be as bad as they seem.

We've done five cruises in the last 14 months, and the cruiseline was quite zealous in enforcing hand sanitizing when entering dining rooms and buffet.

33 minutes ago, Loverofcrafting said:

I went on a cruise last year.   The first tour excursion me and my partner took and I noticed some people were coughing.  They never wore a mask and they never covered their mouths when coughing. 

Time on the ship was the same and especially the buffet.  Lots of people with coughs and no manners.  Coughing into other peoples directions and even over food.  Or some people coughed into their hands and then used the buffet utensils. 

My partner would like to book a holiday and another cruise but I am apprehensive due to last year's holiday. There was so much bad manners. 

We have sailed on the Cunard Line since the beginning of the 1990's and find the passengers to be a mature and considerate to fellow passengers.

We have never had a problem on a Cunard vessel and favor the QM2. Passengers that pay quite a price for a sailing definitely want to enjoy the experience and associate with those around them. No one wishes to distrub anothers vacation or holiday.

We sailed on the QM2 this past September which I would say was the tail end of the C-19 Pandemic. Now it's be consider endemic but still shows it face around. I know we still see reports on board. But with allergies and viruses are also still around.

I am sorry you had to experience theses incidents which would have made us sick also even being retired healthcare workers. IMHO.... I do think each line does have a character of it's own with the passengers it attracts. We personally don't care for these ships called Mega Size.

Please research the lines and destinations you would like to sail too and read the reviews of others.

I know there is no one source that can guarantee a perfect experience.   

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

FWIW, a friend takes a medication which regularly causes a dry cough. The doctor acknowledges that this is a common symptom, and that there is no health concern (for him, or for people around him).  He does, of course, cover his mouth/use a handkerchief when this occurs.

I agree that, unfortunately, there are people who are careless and rude, and do not follow common hygiene and courtesy guidelines.  But sometimes things might not be as bad as they seem.

We've done five cruises in the last 14 months, and the cruiseline was quite zealous in enforcing hand sanitizing when entering dining rooms and buffet.

Yes I was ill before with a chronic cough after giving up smoking and sometimes cough is not contagious.   However there were many people with coughs and there were many not displaying manners.  I think we checked into the ship on a Friday and by mondi had fever.   I have an underlying condition and I had to establish if I was flaring and what happened was a flare and also a chest infection and it was likely the viral infection that was coughed around freely on board the ship. 

My issue was there was no manners or courtesy from other people.  There were people coughing in the buffet and everywhere else. Very little people concealed coughs and anyone who attempted to conceal germs was done into their hands and buffet utensils were then shared. 

• Like 1

Some cruise lines have servers in their buffet so that the passengers do not touch utensils. Holland America is one and I believe Oceania is another. There may be more.

Also, you do not have to eat in the buffet often. I am just off a 28-day cruise on Holland America and I ate all breakfasts and dinners in the main dining room except for a few early mornings when I got room service for breakfast. For lunch I sometimes ate off the ship, sometimes in the dining room (if open, as on sea days) and occasionally ate in the buffet....

People are indeed rude or sometimes just oblivious. If you have to exercise great care with your health due to an underlying condition, then perhaps vacationing/traveling in a group setting such as a cruise ship or a tour bus isn't the best of options for you.

• Like 1

For the last few years people are paying much more attention to coughs.  People have been coughing, sneezing etc. all along but no one paid much mind to if/when/how they were covering their coughs.  No matter where you go you in public you can't be sure everyone will behave as you wish so if you are worried about health consequences of being around others then a group setting should be avoided.  You can always rent a house somewhere scenic and stay to yourself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loverofcrafting said:

I was on a cruise Feb of this year.  The lady that sat in the front row of the tour bus was hacking up a lung, and her husband could barely walk without gasping for air.  everyone on the bus told her "WEAR A MASK" ( which she never did, at least that day).  On the second day, a lady just walked up to her, shoved a few masks at her and said " Im not leaving until you put your mask on".  The sickly couple put on the masks.  Got checked by the ships DR.  They had pneumonia.  Luckily no-one else got sick from that tour ( as far as I know).  If someone is coughing a lot, just tell them to wear a mask and go see the ships DR.  You can also talk to a Restaurant Officer, and point out the infected person.  Let a higher up from the ship deal with the passenger.  You would think that post -Covid, folks would be more aware of their germs spreading

• Like 3

Slightly off topic but does Silversea have hand washing stations by any of the restaurants, other than public toilets? I don't just want a spritz of hand sanitizer. I do have to say that is one of the things that I thought was a great addition to the mass market ships as they enforce hand washing before entering the buffet. It doesn't prevent bad manners but it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

Slightly off topic but does Silversea have hand washing stations by any of the restaurants, other than public toilets? I don't just want a spritz of hand sanitizer. I do have to say that is one of the things that I thought was a great addition to the mass market ships as they enforce hand washing before entering the buffet. It doesn't prevent bad manners but it is a step in the right direction.

You could ask this on the Silversea board here.  EM

There are many things that can be done to improve the situation.  Unfortunately, people don't pay much attention, they're oblivious to the potential harm of their own actions.  I see the most important thing is putting your own health first.  Wear a mask, thoroughly wipe down surfaces in your cabin every day, avoid the buffet.  Use care in restrooms.  Consider whether attending entertainment in a crowded theatre is a good idea.  Fly in first class or buy 3 coach seats to be more removed from others.  Continue some of the actions we've learned ... use hand sanitizer often, don't touch your face, don't shake hands.  Learning to control your own environment may make you more comfortable with travelling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on a cruise in 2017 where people were coughing in the air non stop.I happened to be sitting in the library and suggested to the Librarian that he make an announcement to the passengers about their behavior but he was not interested.I then went to Guest Services and they also had no interest.

My wife is a retired RN and she was really angry about the behavior.

I think there's also a certain sub-demographic now who I think of as "pro-disease". They're the ones who brag about how many times they've had covid and how they're just fine, with this sort of subtext that having to fight off a bunch of novel viruses is somehow a good idea for your body. From there I assume it's not a leap to "and so I won't cover my mouth when I cough, because I am helping people get strong". 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

FWIW, a friend takes a medication which regularly causes a dry cough. The doctor acknowledges that this is a common symptom, and that there is no health concern (for him, or for people around him). 

Absolutely.  I'm one of those who have a dry cough due to medication.  It's a pain in the neck, but the medication is necessary so I've learned to live with it.

I do wear a mask when indoors, or in crowded areas.  Mostly because I'm still nervous about being around others who think "It's just a little cough" and don't mask up.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I was on a cruise Feb of this year.  The lady that sat in the front row of the tour bus was hacking up a lung, and her husband could barely walk without gasping for air.  everyone on the bus told her "WEAR A MASK" ( which she never did, at least that day).  On the second day, a lady just walked up to her, shoved a few masks at her and said " Im not leaving until you put your mask on".  The sickly couple put on the masks.  Got checked by the ships DR.  They had pneumonia.  Luckily no-one else got sick from that tour ( as far as I know).  If someone is coughing a lot, just tell them to wear a mask and go see the ships DR.  You can also talk to a Restaurant Officer, and point out the infected person.  Let a higher up from the ship deal with the passenger.  You would think that post -Covid, folks would be more aware of their germs spreading

We just got home from a cruise, and now both of us have COVID. I wouldn't have known I had it since I took a test a few days ago, and it was negative, but I have a very mild, raspy voice that only I seem to notice. No cough or fever. I took a test this morning, and it was positive: my first COVID experience.

We are pretty certain who gave us COVID: the two ladies in the theatre sitting behind us. I now wish I had been more proactive, as you suggested.  My doctor said to pretend I feel sick and just lay around for a few days instead of being very active.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some cruise lines have servers in their buffet so that the passengers do not touch utensils. Holland America is one and I believe Oceania is another. There may be more.

Viking also has buffet serving staff to help prevent spread of norovirus, coronavirus and other contagious organisms. Additionally, we've generally observed - and always tried to give - reasonably common consideration for others among fellow Viking passengers. (Others' experiences may have been different, of course.)

Smaller ships with relatively uncrowded public spaces may provide the original poster with a more relaxed cruise experience.

Edited by JDincalif
duplicate text
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

My doctor said to pretend I feel sick and just lay around for a few days instead of being very active.

😂 Great advice! Hope you feel better soon...or that you feel the same soon...or at least that you don't feel worse soon!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

I think there's also a certain sub-demographic now who I think of as "pro-disease". They're the ones who brag about how many times they've had covid and how they're just fine, with this sort of subtext that having to fight off a bunch of novel viruses is somehow a good idea for your body. From there I assume it's not a leap to "and so I won't cover my mouth when I cough, because I am helping people get strong". 

A year into the virus, a client told my travel advisor that she wasn't going to be vaccinated because "they have natural immunity".  Eighteen months later, her husband was gone.  It's amazing how a human being can fool itself so easily.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also have a chronic dry cough.  Mine is from my Feb 2020 Covid.  We’ve tried everything and nothing has worked totally but it has calmed a little.  I still feel like I need to hang a sign around my neck that says “I’m not sick”.   I do cough into my arm.   But sometimes I feel like I shouldn’t go anywhere…

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

We just got home from a cruise, and now both of us have COVID. I wouldn't have known I had it since I took a test a few days ago, and it was negative, but I have a very mild, raspy voice that only I seem to notice. No cough or fever. I took a test this morning, and it was positive: my first COVID experience.

We are pretty certain who gave us COVID: the two ladies in the theatre sitting behind us. I now wish I had been more proactive, as you suggested.  My doctor said to pretend I feel sick and just lay around for a few days instead of being very active.

So Sorry

5 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I have seasonal allergies. Sometimes I cough and sneeze. Anyone stomping up to me, shouting "WEAR A MASK" and shoving masks in my face may well find the response quite unpleasant.

Edited by K32682
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Loverofcrafting said:

Pretty much just chartering your own boat.  Unfortunately, rudeness abounds anywhere people are gathered, and it seems to only be getting worse lately.  

• Like 3

coughing without covering your mouth/nose  is rude

DH  has allergies but he does cover his  face  if he is sneezing & now has some cough from our recent (Feb)  bout of covid

The difference  whether you attempt to not spread the germs or not

Long before cough we had "cruise cough"   from people walking around just coughing into the air  with no attempt  not spread their germs

We seemed to end up sick on most of our cruises

JMO

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I have seasonal allergies. Sometimes I cough and sneeze. Anyone stomping up to me, shouting "WEAR A MASK" and shoving masks in my face may well find the response quite unpleasant.

I also have allergies.  When I get " the look", I just say, with a smile on my face.."it's not covid, its allegies".