The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 23rd, 2023

richwmn

Good morning,  and thanks all! We have blue skies this morning, so grateful!   Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky!

Welcome home @marshhawk sorry you were ill, but glad you still enjoyed the cruise! 
@dfish good luck tomorrow, I hope it’s a reasonable time, mine was 05:49am! 

We’ve been fortunate to swim with some huge green sea turtles, Honu, in Hawaii and have enjoyed Half Moon Cay a few times.

DSCF0417.jpeg

DSCF0424.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I woke up to bright sunshine, but now the clouds are rolling in.  Hopefully the rain from yesterday is over with and I can get outside today to plant those veggie plants.

Interesting collection of days.  I'll pass on the red wine and drink, but may make my own variation of pork stir fry tonight. That sounds good. Like so many, we've been to HMC many times.  In 2013 we rode the horses into the water (my favorite day there) and in 2017 we and friends rented the Grand Oasis (my second favorite day there).  Other times we rented a cabana (once and done) or just found a shady spot far from the crowd and enjoyed the water.

Debbie @dfish Thinking of you as you have your surgery tomorrow.

Annie @marshhawk I'm glad you enjoyed HAL but so sorry to hear you got Noro and then bronchitis. 

Tina @0106 Thank you for the explanation of the quote.

Laura @dobiemom I'm so sorry you had NO sleep and then had to go to work.  Yesterday I was dragging around here after 5 hours' sleep and I didn't have anywhere or anything I had to do.  I can't even imagine!

Photo from my favorite day at HMC.  It was a hoot, especially going into the water with my horse "Black Beauty".  They change horses when you go from land riding to water -- this is "Bandero", my land horse.

horseriding.jpg.aa24d4f21a7443d571a85f254a6996b0.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Feeling better today Ann.  Thanks for asking.

Looks really good.  Thanks for the photos and recipes.  I hope you have an early surgery and quick healing!

Yes we were there on Volendam, but didn't see you.  I think you were hiding in your cabana!😆

Correct, I always rent a cabana at HMC on the beach while enjoying a hot dog. Could you please pass the grey poupon. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

question for @dfish - you often speak of riced cauliflower; how do you make it?  Does it still have the strong cauliflower taste? 

I’ll start filling in for Debbie an afternoon early.  How to make cauliflower rice I usually “rice” it in my food processor.  If you cook it immediately there is less smell and a milder taste. You need very little water to cook it, steaming is suggested.  I like it firmer so I roast it with just a bit of oil.   If I make an entire head then I wring it out it out in a towel and freeze it.  If you want to try it and don’t feel like making it yourself it is available with the frozen vegetables in most supermarkets.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Halifax,  thanks for today's report.  Another sunny but cool day with nothing planned,  except Happy Hour.

20230523_083840.thumb.jpg.a3ef0b99a576d1e9d2e79b3f1da923d5.jpg

Sometimes, those are the best days.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@dfish Debbie good luck on your surgery tomorrow.🙏

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce.  I think it will go well.  Not expecting any problems.

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Looks really good.  Thanks for the photos and recipes.  I hope you have an early surgery and quick healing!

Thanks, Sandi.  I hope it is early as well.  I'm thinking it will be the 8:30 arrival time as I was the second patient to schedule for that day.

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@dfish  Debbie, sending good and positive thoughts for a successful surgery tomottor.

Thanks, Lenda.  I'm ready to get this over with.

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@dfish thank you for your dedication to making sure we have wonderful recipes each day and have a variety of meals each day,.

Thanks, Terri!

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish  I hope all goes well tomorrow. Our hospital states that they will call by 8 pm to let us know when to come....oh my.

I hope you get a decent time and I am sending my prayers  your way.

Have a great day everyone.

Thank you, Terry.  I hope all is going well at your place.

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@dfish best of luck tomorrow. 🙏 for Amazing!  

Thank you, Maureen.  

@dfishgood luck with your surgery tomorrow.

Thanks, Gerry!  

I think I'd like to try today's menu suggestion another time, but do have a question for @dfish - you often speak of riced cauliflower; how do you make it?  Does it still have the strong cauliflower taste?  Now that we've got good weather, DH wants to continue using the barbecue, so I've got some sweet Italian sausages thawing that will be grilled and served along with crudites and a bean salad on the deck tonight.  And wine.

I usually buy the cauliflower already riced.  I have found it in the fresh food section and in the frozen food section.  I just microwave it to heat it up.  Once cooked it generally doesn't have the strong taste.  

If you want to rice it yourself, I would do it in a food processor before cooking.  After cooking you will get mush.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

@dfish my very best wishes for your surgery tomorrow.  I hope you can get it over with early 🤞 

Thanks, Jacqui.  I'm hoping for the same.  

46 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Welcome home @marshhawk sorry you were ill, but glad you still enjoyed the cruise! 

Thank you.  5:49 am?!!  That is torture.  I would worry that the surgical team was still half asleep.  At least as the patient you get to sleep.

40 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Like so many, we've been to HMC many times.  In 2013 we rode the horses into the water (my favorite day there) and in 2017 we and friends rented the Grand Oasis (my second favorite day there).  Other times we rented a cabana (once and done) or just found a shady spot far from the crowd and enjoyed the water.

I remember I was supposed to be part of the Grand Oasis group in 2017 but fell and broke my hip instead.  Sue and I toasted you all with our colored water cocktails.  

20171231_182016040_iOS.thumb.jpg.f1a7ddc9182b9ea3245b3c7fb96c54c4.jpg

40 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfish Thinking of you as you have your surgery tomorrow.

Thank you so much!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Good morning. Haven’t been to bed yet, although I had a nap earlier. Need to be up in an hour or so to go to work. Didn’t have caffeine later in the day (only my usual morning coffee) so not sure why I’m still up. 🤷🏻‍♀️

So I slept for almost 3 hours after posting. Luckily, my work has a flexible start time, anywhere from 0630-0830. Just need to work 8 hours. I usually like to start early so I can leave early. I got here at 8am and even got coffee and gas. I feel good, not tired. We’ll see how I do by this afternoon. 

Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. 😘

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 24

40 minutes ago, dfish said:

I remember I was supposed to be part of the Grand Oasis group in 2017 but fell and broke my hip instead.  Sue and I toasted you all with our colored water cocktails.  

20171231_182016040_iOS.thumb.jpg.f1a7ddc9182b9ea3245b3c7fb96c54c4.jpg

And this is the photo that told me I must meet these people!!  

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Ha Ha! We all know your raking it in with your moonshine operation.

Please be quiet about this. I was actually raking it in with my smuggling Bud Light across the border until you know what happened!

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

32 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

raking it in with your moonshine operation

A redneck limo would run on moonshine, wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Could you please pass the grey poupon. 

Are you sure that you're a redneck?

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Just a quick update and thanks again to everyone for their care and concern. My BFF told me yesterday that we were the only ones in our friends circle that still had a parent alive.

the funeral is tomorrow morning at 11 am EDT and we will take the family (21) to lunch right after. On Friday my sister and I will see the lawyer in the am and the bank in the pm. Dad does not have a large estate but there is a house to empty and sell. We are hoping to avoid probate so we can close things off quickly.

the care and concern from everyone here is really helping me at this time. Family and close friends have ‘circled the wagons’ too which is heartwarming. 

• Like 26

gosh I really missed all of you.  

after i posted this morning, I went back to sleep, and dreamt that DH got a tattoo on his back. it was a game of hangman....

Penny called me today to see if we got home, Jesse took care of the cats, which is a sign he is doing better, He said that he never saw an indoor cat for all the time we were gone, but the food would disappear...He said that when he showed up the outdoor strays became his buddies.

Love HMC, I have been lucky enough to get there the 4 times that I chose that as a cruise destination. The first time we went it was really windy (tropical storm Sean) and kicked up enough waves for us to body surf. I had no idea it was not supposed to be like that when we went back. When the weather is perfect there, it is a beautiful beach and I never get tired of seeing pictures of it.  It has rained every time we have left there, and rainbows shine at the end of the island, like it will miss us, but come back.

I did book a cove balcony for a cruise next October.  When I heard that you are mostly in the shade, as DH is supposed to be, I have always wanted to book one.  But reminded him again that the pro peel pocket fishing line is not an option.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, superoma said:

Just a quick update and thanks again to everyone for their care and concern. My BFF told me yesterday that we were the only ones in our friends circle that still had a parent alive.

the funeral is tomorrow morning at 11 am EDT and we will take the family (21) to lunch right after. On Friday my sister and I will see the lawyer in the am and the bank in the pm. Dad does not have a large estate but there is a house to empty and sell. We are hoping to avoid probate so we can close things off quickly.

the care and concern from everyone here is really helping me at this time. Family and close friends have ‘circled the wagons’ too which is heartwarming. 

Oh I’m so sorry to read about your loss.  🙏🏻 Prayers and hugs going out to you and your family.  You’ll be in our thoughts 

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

Nothing to do with the taffy, right?

Thank you.  Unless it's my faulty memory you're new to posting here, Welcome aboard.  I did get back about an hour and a half ago,  and the stiffness in my mouth is easing enough that I'm presently working on a dish of applesauce.  I hope it's down a lot more before dinnertime.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, superoma said:

Family and close friends have ‘circled the wagons’ too which is heartwarming. 

Good to hear.  Let them keep those wagons circled for a while - you will need them.  And please, don’t be afraid to ask for help.  Or a shoulder to cry on.   I had a hard time doing it but believe me, people do want to help - they just don’t know how.  They just need you to tell them how they can.  

My prayers are with you 🙏 

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, Welcome Home, @marshhawk, sorry you got sick on your Alaska cruise, it just means you will have to do it again!  Thanks to everyone for the news today.

Good to hear Ann 👍 

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Had a long chat with Apple yesterday about my AirTag. It seems no one can contact  it except me, I was hoping that when Jacqui is on Rotterdam she might be able to ask it make a noise so the stewards could locate it in our old room, but no, it has to be me.  It is in "Lost" mode now, so I had thought it might be able to "talk" to anyone nearby with an iPhone.

Well, darn Ann.  I was hoping there was some way you could “share” it with me and I could go looking for it with my IPhone or Ipad.  I wonder if there is some way we could connect so you could tell me if I’m getting closer?  Of course, that’s assuming they will let me in the room.  I’ll e you and write down the room #.  Pretty sure I checked when you posted it and didn’t see anyone on the roll call in it but I guess I forgot to write it down 😡. I thought I had but I can’t find it in my cruise notes 😞 

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you.  Unless it's my faulty memory you're new to posting here, Welcome aboard.  I did get back about an hour and a half ago,  and the stiffness in my mouth is easing enough that I'm presently working on a dish of applesauce.  I hope it's down a lot more before dinnertime.

Roy

Yes new - and thank you! Hope you're feeling ok, I usually nap away the freezing.

• Like 13

Good afternoon from a partly cloudy but still comfortable central Texas.  I don't know what went wrong this morning, but somehow I got the house cleaned in five hours including a breakfast break.  🤣  It usually takes at least six hours, but everything that needed to be done, plus a couple of extra items, were done.  I'm not taking bets that this will be the new norm though.  😉  We're celebrating later this afternoon with happy hour with our neighbors.  🍷 Maybe more than one. 🍷

6 hours ago, kochleffel said:

A friend of mine, a prosperous lawyer, picks up pennies from the sidewalk. When he has a bag full, he takes them to the bank to be counted and then donates the total to charity, Everyone in his family thinks he is crazy.

No pork anything for me, even though I have mangoes. The cocktail is perfect for people who don't like Scotch, because the other ingredients will kill the taste of it. I'm not familiar with the wine and I haven't been to HMC, because the seas were too rough for tendering. Instead, the Nieuw Amsterdam diverted toward Grand Turk, where we had already called, for a medical evacuation.

Today in History:
1949 Federal Republic of [West] Germany created out of the American, British and French occupation zones

Last night I found myself unexpectedly teaching the first hour of a Talmud class because the person who was supposed to teach it had an emergency. It was a tractate that I don't know, but fortunately the questions that arose were about things that I did know. Usually I am only the Zoom host.

One of the digressions--the class rarely sticks to the topic--was about the differences in attitudes between the former West Germany and the former East Germany. I happen to have spent a week in East Germany while it was still East Germany, if that makes sense.

I'm still not firing on all cylinders. Bronchitis and sinusitis have improved; I've used only complementary treatment because neither was severe enough for antibiotics or for decongestants, which are contraindicated for me anyway. Exhaustion has not improved very much. It may be from the respiratory issues, but lack of sleep is also a factor.

Paul, I'm glad the bronchitis and sinusitis have improved, but sorry the sleeping hasn't.  I hope you can get some sleep so you're not exhausted.

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

i hope everyone is doing well today.

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report and getting us started today.

Also thanks to all that contribute to this thread that keep us informed, hydrated, and fed.  @dfish thank you for your dedication to making sure we have wonderful recipes each day and have a variety of meals each day,.  And to @summer slope and @cat shepard for the wonderful cocktails and wine each day.  Also thank you to @grapau27 for sharing great information about the days we celebrate each day.  And today thank you to @0106 for putting the quote in context.

Also to all those who share their wonderful photos of the destinations—especially @StLouisCruisersand @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Thank you for being so organized and willing to share with us.

Yesterday i decided that I just was going to get better results with the appliance store in person than on the phone and I was right.  After the salesman made a few phone calls to the warehouse or wherever he called, a dryer magically was available and there was a delivery space available for tomorrow (Wednesday).  I actually told him I wanted my money back because I could go to Costco or Home Depot and get it cheaper with less angst.  He didn’t like that.  That put him into action.

We have been to Half Moon Cay a number of times and would probably duplicate photos. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, the treat of losing money after a sale is a great motivator.  Good for you.  I hope all goes well with the delivery tomorrow.

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  We got home last night at 9:15, our time, but was up at 2 am yesterday to get our flight.

Will do an over all review when i feel better, but I managed to catch Norovirus , as did most people on the cruise, and then bronchitis, so I am catching up with catching up, and currently wondering why Andri isn't coming by and offering me my coffee with cream.  I got very spoiled on Holland, and DH wants to switch over to HAL full time.  We missed Kodiak because the weather was so bad, and my stomach forced me to skip Sitka, while i did take pictures while wandering the promenade deck.  Some scary moments as we sailed through a typhoon, with a steady wind of 90 kph, (over 100 mph) and the ship listing at 12 degrees. Two of my excursions were cancelled, because one didn't even begin until May 16, and we were there the week before, and the other because Thompson Pass was not passable.  

cat19.gif

Annie, I'm sorry you got sick on your cruise.  I'm am very happy that you had a good time and like HAL enough to want to sail on BHBs again.  I wish HAL would offer the 14 day cruise during the summer months when the passes are open and the typhoons have not headed toward Kodiak.  Even once in early June, Thompson pass road was opened, but the rest area at the summit was still pretty much covered by snow.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, Welcome Home, @marshhawk, sorry you got sick on your Alaska cruise, it just means you will have to do it again!  Thanks to everyone for the news today.  Pat is feeling much better with the antibiotics, and in his phone appointment with the doctor this morning, the doctor said he is on the correct antibiotic.  But now he has a stiff neck, and he is a very grouchy patient!

No more pennies here, but I used to pick them up when we had them.  I don't know about the luck, though.  It used to be you could buy a jawbreaker with one (remember jawbreakers?).

Had a long chat with Apple yesterday about my AirTag. It seems no one can contact  it except me, I was hoping that when Jacqui is on Rotterdam she might be able to ask it make a noise so the stewards could locate it in our old room, but no, it has to be me.  It is in "Lost" mode now, so I had thought it might be able to "talk" to anyone nearby with an iPhone.  Evidently there must be some way for anyone finding it to figure out who it belongs to, though.  It has contact information for me.  And some days it doesn't seem to have internet to let me know where it is, perhaps it can just get onto internet in a port...  It's all very complicated.  I hope it is having a good time, travelling the world without me!

The chickens of Half Moon Cay

P1080997.thumb.JPG.fcbc01c84cbc13ec030116abb36f3c62.JPG

Ann, I'm glad Pat is feeling much better now that the antibiotics have started working, and hope the stiff neck is short lived.  I hope you can catch up with the Air Tag someday.  Maybe you'll have to book another cruise on the Rotterdam.  If only the tag could talk, what a tale it would have to tell.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning,  and thanks all! We have blue skies this morning, so grateful!   Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky!

We’ve been fortunate to swim with some huge green sea turtles, Honu, in Hawaii and have enjoyed Half Moon Cay a few times.

DSCF0417.jpeg

DSCF0424.jpeg

Brenda, seeing sea turtles in the ocean is an experience not to be missed.  We did a live-aboard out of Grand Cayman about 30 years ago.  While every one else was diving, I was snorkeling off Cayman Brac, and a sea turtle swam below me.  I was the only one on the boat to see it.

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

I’ll start filling in for Debbie an afternoon early.  How to make cauliflower rice I usually “rice” it in my food processor.  If you cook it immediately there is less smell and a milder taste. You need very little water to cook it, steaming is suggested.  I like it firmer so I roast it with just a bit of oil.   If I make an entire head then I wring it out it out in a towel and freeze it.  If you want to try it and don’t feel like making it yourself it is available with the frozen vegetables in most supermarkets.

Tina, thanks for the information about making riced cauliflower.  I think I'll just pick some up at the store if I need it.

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

So I slept for almost 3 hours after posting. Luckily, my work has a flexible start time, anywhere from 0630-0830. Just need to work 8 hours. I usually like to start early so I can leave early. I got here at 8am and even got coffee and gas. I feel good, not tired. We’ll see how I do by this afternoon. 

Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. 😘

Marcia, I'm glad you managed a few hours of sleep.  I hope tonight is a lot better for sleeping.

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Eva, you and your family will be in our thoughts tomorrow as you say goodbye to your DF.  I'm glad we have been able to help you the past few days, and remember, we're here no matter what, even for venting.

2 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

A refined Redneck!

Isn't that a contradiction of terms.

4 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

Yes new - and thank you! Hope you're feeling ok, I usually nap away the freezing.

Welcome to the Fleet/Daily.  We hope you will join us often.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon everyone,

Pretty busy day on the Daily today

Thanks to everyone who continues to post the Daily and contributing to the wonderfulness that the Daily is (poor grammar I know but that's what my brain came up with).

@dfish, prayers for a succcessful and pain free surgery tomorow.

@superoma prayers for you and your family at the funeral tomorrow

@marshhawk welcome back! awful that your are sick but it sounds like you all had a good time. Hope you feel better soon.

Prayers for those struggling and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Take care all!

Caron

• Like 18