Luminae "rib eye"

39august

Beware. This is NOT a rib eye steak. Frankly, I don't know what it actually is. It is a thick chunk of very lean meat. No fat nor marbling to be seen. It was very tough. This was on Equinox. Maybe it is different on other ships. But if on EQ in Luminae, do NOT expect a steak if you order this piece of meat. I gave up and ate some side dishes that my great waiter had brought us. 

• Like 3

I ordered the “rib eye” from Luminae on the first week of a B3B on the Beyond and it was so tough and chewy I never ordered it again the next two sailings. Definitely not the same quality of rib eye I received last year on the Edge. All part of Celebrity’s cost cutting. 

• Like 1

Celebrity excels in odd cuts of meat (maybe it's beef, but so we really know?), and even worse descriptions for it's menu items.  It would be difficult to find a U.S. restaurant with cuts as unique as those found on Celebrity.  Even the old Sizzler and Ponderosa (very low end steakhouses with plastic plates, salad bars, etc.) attempted to appear to be the usual shapes.  Even with "meat glue" it's possible to create cuts that look like the usual from scraps.  (Look up meat glue if you're curious).  

This was a new one to me...

A little hard to find a definitive source, but a "roasted ribeye steak" is a ribeye roast that's roasted intact, like a prime rib, then sliced. But prime rib comes from a specific rib range (6-12 apparently) which is the least used and typically best marbled part of the animal; there apparently is no industry requirement for location to call it a roasted ribeye steak.

It's not the same as the ribeye in Blu because it's not cooked as a steak but roasted and sliced (assuming that's how they're preparing it, but that's how the process is described in recipes on the 'net).

Good cuts of beef have gone way up in price (and to some extent availability), but I'd have just done something different (not beef) on the menu, especially in Luminae...

7 minutes ago, markeb said:

It's not the same as the ribeye in Blu because it's not cooked as a steak but roasted and sliced (assuming that's how they're preparing it, but that's how the process is described in recipes on the 'net).

Good cuts of beef have gone way up in price (and to some extent availability), but I'd have just done something different (not beef) on the menu, especially in Luminae...

Blu shows it as grilled, Luminae & Room Service shows it as roasted.

19 minutes ago, markeb said:

It's not the same as the ribeye in Blu because it's not cooked as a steak but roasted and sliced

Ribeye cuts are veined and flavorful. What Luminae refers to as ribeye, regardless of how it's prepared, is lean and tough. I can't imagine it's the same cut of beef.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Ribeye cuts are veined and flavorful. What Luminae refers to as ribeye, regardless of how it's prepared, is lean and tough. I can't imagine it's the same cut of beef.

They offer fennel crusted lamb on the same night and since we never eat lamb at home, my DW does not like the smell of it when cooking, I always order the lamb instead.  Maybe next time I'll order both and see just how bad it really is. 

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

A ribeye roast is cut differently from a rib roast/prime rib or the petite rib roast which is extremely lean are all from the same primal cut. The majority of ribeye or the rib cut is roasted vs grilled like a ribeye steak you get in the U.S. And all of the cuts have different regional names to make it even more confusing. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

They offer fennel crusted lamb on the same night and since we never eat lamb at home, my DW does not like the smell of it when cooking, I always order the lamb instead.  Maybe next time I'll order both and see just how bad it really is. 

We love Lamb and the lamb Luminae has always been good.    I know what the OP was meaning by the chunk of meat they served as when a table mate ordered the Rib Eye and looked nothing like a Rib Eye I've ever seen before -  Looked like a loin from some portion of the cow with no marbling or fat either within the meat or around the edges.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Beware. This is NOT a rib eye steak. Frankly, I don't know what it actually is. It is a thick chunk of very lean meat. No fat nor marbling to be seen. It was very tough. This was on Equinox. Maybe it is different on other ships. But if on EQ in Luminae, do NOT expect a steak if you order this piece of meat. I gave up and ate some side dishes that my great waiter had brought us. 

Do us a huge favor, order it again, take and post a photo, and for the heck of it, try it again to confirm it was as tough and awful as last time

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Depends on the age and grade of the beef. Also depends on the location of the cut in the carcass. The muscle itself has little flavor. The flavor comes from the marbling (fat withing the muscle, not around it). I've never heard marbling referred to as veining; you tend to cut the veins out of retail cuts of meat.

But they all come from the rib primal cut. Some are better than others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 39august said:

We had the exact same experience with the Luminae "ribeye" on Solstice.  It was not a ribeye and it wasn't edible.  We were staying in a RS and the shoreside concierge messed up our dinner reservation at Tuscan Grille.  It was actually closed for a private event so the Retreat concierge tried to get us seated at Murano....to no avail...so we ended up in Luminae.  It was almost 9 PM by the time we arrived so no, I didn't send it back...should have, but didn't.  As it was, we were the last ones in Luminae and the staff were breaking down tables all around us...yes, I did make a comment about that as we left.  It was probably the worst experience (and only bad one) we've ever had while staying in a suite.  But I digress...the steak, if you want to call it that, was terrible!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I wonder if they're just using the sirloin which was once on the everyday classics menu but is now rotational

That would be a loin roast. They're using an OK but lesser cut of beef, cooking it as a roast, and slicing it after cooking. Roasting it (cooking in the oven) probably also breaks down more connective tissue.

This is effectively a prime rib, but not from the prime cut, and probably choice grade (hopefully not select) instead of prime grade. Which also points out that the word "prime" gets used too much in the meat industry with totally different meanings...

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, markeb said:

That would be a loin roast. They're using an OK but lesser cut of beef, cooking it as a roast, and slicing it after cooking. Roasting it (cooking in the oven) probably also breaks down more connective tissue.

This is effectively a prime rib, but not from the prime cut, and probably choice grade (hopefully not select) instead of prime grade. Which also points out that the word "prime" gets used too much in the meat industry with totally different meanings...

I think this is it, would you agree?

image.thumb.png.7240658cfec7fb2adb2758771819228a.png

We sailed twice on the Edge last winter( January and March) in a Celebrity suite and a Royal Suite. That “steak” was vile. In fact the food in Luminae was generally disappointing and weird. On the March cruise we ate all dinners in specialty restaurants because they were included. Next winter we will be on the Silhouette and I hope for the best. After that we are booked on NCL Encore Haven) Crystal Symphony and Oceania Allura. I’m tired of mystery meat. 

• Like 1