Docking Location

4 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

In three of our current ports we have docked as far as you can get away from the city, with OPEN berths closer in..

You'd need to provide some detail on ship/port - that (other berths being available) may or may not be true.

5 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

In three of our current ports we have docked as far as you can get away from the city, with OPEN berths closer in..

Coincidence or just another accountant cutback to save money,,

Just a simple question..

What ports? Do you really think a ship saves money based on where they dock at a port? 

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So funny!

But,  only  for those on the new ships. Once a ding, he/she can park anywhere. 🚢🚗

M

Yep, I've heard with the Vision class ships, the just run them right up the beach. Makes disembakation a breeze!

• Haha 2

There are several reasons as mentioned above.  Size of ship

Nassau is an example of this.  The larger ships have to dock at the outer berths. And I think St Thomas has this limitation

Historically, some cruise lines have preference.  Cozumel is an example of this.  Carnival "controlled" on set of piers so other cruise lines have to use the set of piers further out.

Then there is local decisions about when/where ships can dock

37 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Cozumel and St. Thomas come to mind. 

St Thomas is due to Crown Bay that Royal has prefer berthing rights as it is exclusive for Royal corporation. Not other cruise ships can dock there so that berth is always available to them. no need to deal with any other ships at Havensight 

For Cozumel, ships dock at the International Pier near near the Carnival ships dock that is a few miles down the road from the main city of Cozumel 

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

St Thomas is due to Crown Bay that Royal has prefer berthing rights as it is exclusive for Royal corporation. Not other cruise ships can dock there so that berth is always available to them. no need to deal with any other ships at Havensight 

For Cozumel, ships dock at the International Pier near near the Carnival ships dock that is a few miles down the road from the main city of Cozumel 

I know this. I was just thinking that these are a couple of examples where the docks that Royal uses might be considered to be farther away from the places that most of the passengers go to. 

1 hour ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

Larger ships ….MSC, Mein Shief, and NCL were mooring closer to Palma and Valencia that’s us….It has nothing to do with the Captain, it is what RC Port Operations in Miami books and pays for,

With all due respect, almost every single post you make is a slam on RCL. Why on earth do you sail with them? Personally, if I had soured on a cruise line like you seem to have done with RCL, I wouldn't give them the pleasure of handing my money over to them. But that is just me. 🤷‍♂️

And to try and answer the question on Berth locations? Sounds pretty darned complicated to me.

"

Berth allocation is a long-term planning issue for ports, with vital social implications. The practice refers to the planning of which cruise vessels will visit the given port on a specific day for a particular time span. Ports need to arrange the slot to be reserved for a particular vessel call two years in advance. The reason is that the cruise line needs to define its cruise itineraries and then inform travel agents who will need to sell the cruise to potential customers. For several reasons, such planning does not always happen. Given the limitations imposed by the geographical distances between ports included in an itinerary and the lengths of cruises, having several operators berthing for the same hours is not rare. The problem of berth allocation is even more critical in smaller, secondary cruise ports. In small, picturesque destinations, cruise calls might mean relatively unpleasant situations of a crowded location for certain days or hours, or even distortion of other tourist activities. In bigger ports, this might take the form of congestion at the arrival of bigger ships on which thousands of people are cruising.

The arrival of two average-size cruise vessels at a given port means more than 6,000 passengers disembarking at the same time. Yet, in some cases, congestion in small and medium destinations is produced simply because of a small additional number of calls. Without effective planning, these destinations may be subject to the pressure and the negative effect of too many passengers who can barely be accommodated which does not allow for a positive experience. In several cases, the presence of cruises is marked by seasonality, reducing the problem that smaller tourist destinations face.

However, while the debate on how best to apply berth allocation is at the top of the agenda between key stakeholders, this debate remains in many respects inconclusive. Technical issues related to its application (time scale, details of the berthing allocation) and also the need of all ports included in an itinerary to synchronize with the system, the diverging needs of each cruise line, the treatment of double bookings and cancellations of booked cruise berths, are all vital. With the number of players involved, this discussion is complex to resolve."

Chapter 8.1 – Cruise Ports | Port Economics, Management and Policy (porteconomicsmanagement.org)

We've sailed RCI Radiance class to Alaska many times and usually have a great dock spot in Juneau right in town. On our Serenade port stop Sept 2022 we were the farthest out imaginable and had to be shuttled into town. Lines were so long this was a mess !!!

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

We've sailed RCI Radiance class to Alaska many times and usually have a great dock spot in Juneau right in town. On our Serenade port stop Sept 2022 we were the farthest out imaginable and had to be shuttled into town. Lines were so long this was a mess !!!

And with Serenade being a Radiance class ship, that just proves that the size of the ship sometimes does not matter.

13 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

Coincidence or just another accountant cutback to save money,,

Just a simple question..

I don't know for sure either way, but I would guess that it is cheaper for them to use docks that are further away.