The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 1st, 2023

richwmn

Lazy afternoon today. I had chicken and cheese quesadeas with salsa for lunch, they were very good. It is "stuffy" at the Seaview pool today, so I have going back n forth all afternoon.  We had two medical evacuations today, one this morning,  one this afternoon.  We are going to Canaletto's for dinner, toes crossed it is good. 😀 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I am happy to report the boiler is working. It was a quick fix and in the nick of time. It will be very cold tonight with a possible freeze. I know it is not like the frozen tundra but I am wearing a hat, gloves and two sweaters until the house warms up.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

@richwmn  Rich,  Thank you for posting the locations of  the HAL Fleet and the daily.

Have been off line for a few days due to computer problems.

Will read all the posts later.

@grapau27  shortly after you began posting on the HAL  Fleet/ Daily threads, (must be at least two years ago),  I asked for your comparisons between HAL and P & O UK.  You stated that you had not sailed on HAL, but would do so before the end of that year..  Which HAL ship did you sail on? Did you post your thoughts on comparing the two?

• Like 16

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am happy to report the boiler is working. It was a quick fix and in the nick of time. It will be very cold tonight with a possible freeze. I know it is not like the frozen tundra but I am wearing a hat, gloves and two sweaters until the house warms up.

Happy to read this!   I'm sure you're cute as a button in  your hat, gloves and sweaters.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Well, I finally accomplished what I started with the VA.  They approved my dental care and I have an appointment with a local dentist at Noon today.  After a number of phone calls and waiting for call backs that never happened, I had an appointment for a check up at the local VA clinic.  Told the doctor that the only problem I had was dental and asked if he could help with a referral.  His nurse was the most helpful.  She investigated and found that the Community Care office had been notified and was supposed to call me.  They hadn't, so I contacted them via MyHealtheVet.  Within a couple of hours I had approval for a year, starting yesterday.  As I mentioned before, it just takes persistence.

Ray

Ray, that is good news, especially since you got an appointment so quickly once you got the approval.

26 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good news about the boiler.

Lenda

• Like 14

Good afternoon,

Terry @smitty34877 Add me to those who are very happy that your boiler is working now.  It does sound like it was in the nick of time.

Debbie @dfish You'll love the Hawaii cruise.  It's even better if you have an active roll call with lots of get togethers on those sea days.  What ship and when?  Our Hawaii cruise in 2010 was when we met our mutual friend Jane. 🙂  We had a great roll call. 

This afternoon I've made some progress on getting the Christmas cards started.  This will be the first time we've had a cruise so close to the holidays (leaving here on Jan. 1) so I need to get things done early.  At least I won't be putting up the tree or decorations this year, but will have to get started on the gifts.

Now to brag a little about our DDIL.  She does some artwork (paintings) in her spare time (her profession is in the computer art field).  She told me last night that a local art gallery wants to display some of her work!  She's tickled to pieces, said she hasn't shown any of her work in 25 years. Very proud of her! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the Oosterdam: 

The shore excursions staff were being sorely tried this afternoon by passengers who wanted to tell them where the excursions should go, instead of signing up for the ones that actually exist.

More than one person told me how bad the food on the Oosterdam is. I boarded during the afternoon, so hadn't had any yet.

It's not the Rotterdam, so some things just aren't available.

On the other hand, both food and service in the PG tonight were outstanding.

I didn't remember that my iPad is new since my last HAL cruise, and the Navigator app isn't installed. Therefore I can't connect it to wifi, and because it's not connected to wifi, I can't download the app to it. I think I'll be able to find free wifi on shore in Cartagena tomorrow. One post on another site says that it's available right at the dock.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

@richwmn  Rich,  Thank you for posting the locations of  the HAL Fleet and the daily.

Have been off line for a few days due to computer problems.

Will read all the posts later.

@grapau27  shortly after you began posting on the HAL  Fleet/ Daily threads, (must be at least two years ago),  I asked for your comparisons between HAL and P & O UK.  You stated that you had not sailed on HAL, but would do so before the end of that year..  Which HAL ship did you sail on? Did you post your thoughts on comparing the two?

@erewhon.

I hope everyone on here know what we have done in my 2 years on here as I never hide anything and always post lots of our cruise and personal photos and always answer questions fully and respectfully.

Pauline loves P&O and sailing from Southampton.

In the last 2 years we have sailed from Southampton England 8 times with 6 more Southampton England sailings in the future.

I intended to sail on HAL but they have not sailed from Southampton England yet so I cannot make comparisons like you asked.

Normally I only ever posted on P&O, Princess and Royal Caribbean forums where we are high loyalty but since joining the Daily  nearly everyone has made me feel so welcome and I love posting here and really like most of the wonderful people on here.

We were at church tonight to hear a speaker and watch a film and photos of our city 

Sunderland at war in the 1930s and 1940s.

It was very emotional as a lot of the 1930s music from Vera Lynn accompanied the film the same music we played to Pauline's late mam while caring for her in her last year's with dementia.

It is my late mam's 12th memory tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

This is fantastic news Terry.

I'm really pleased for you.

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

In the last 2 years we have sailed from Southampton England 8 times with 6 more Southampton England sailings in the future.

I intended to sail on HAL but they have not sailed from Southampton England yet so I cannot make comparisons like you asked.

Does Dover work for you?  There are a number of Dover departures in 2025.  Of course you would need to be careful in posting since we would recognize any dishware or other common sights on the ship.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Does Dover work for you?  There are a number of Dover departures in 2025.  Of course you would need to be careful in posting since we would recognize any dishware or other common sights on the ship.

Roy

We sailed from Dover in October  2007 with Pauline's late mam and dad on Norwegian Gems maiden voyage.

Dover is an option if the dates fit in with Pauline's work commitments and other cruises we have booked.

• Like 11

Good evening, it's been a busy day here!  We've been to Juneau, June of 2019 was our first cruise.  A cruise and land tour on the Westerdam.  It was a great trip.  While we were on top of Mt. Roberts we saw a bear...not as close as others saw, but it was a sight!  We also saw a lot of eagles that day.  

Bon voyage to all who are traveling, and good thought for those who need them.  

@smitty34877good to hear you could take off some layers!  

We had very bad conditions for trick or treat last night...lots of high winds and snow.  Got about 4 inches!  Here's a picture of our pumpkins!

Untitled.jpg

Edited by quilty964
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Agree with Graham.  Medium please.

I would go with the beef, medium rare, and the DW would have the Sea Bass.  I notice they advertise wines on the menu from over $300 down to $95.  Since wine is available gratis, do many people actually buy that?

Ray

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfish You'll love the Hawaii cruise.  It's even better if you have an active roll call with lots of get togethers on those sea days.  What ship and when?  Our Hawaii cruise in 2010 was when we met our mutual friend Jane. 🙂  We had a great roll call. 

We will be on the Koningsdam from January 30 - February 17.  What a wonderful respite from the snow and ice of a Michigan winter.  Maybe we'll find a place in CA and stay until March.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Now to brag a little about our DDIL.  She does some artwork (paintings) in her spare time (her profession is in the computer art field).  She told me last night that a local art gallery wants to display some of her work!  She's tickled to pieces, said she hasn't shown any of her work in 25 years. Very proud of her! 

Wonderful!  Congratulations to her!!

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

I took off the hat and one sweater!

Making progress!  

Those rabbits have been working overtime today.  We just got word that our niece and her husband are moving back to Michigan from Florida in January.  We are thrilled!  Of course, the rabbits owe us.  We give them free housing under our deck and tons of food to eat.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I would go with the beef, medium rare, and the DW would have the Sea Bass.  I notice they advertise wines on the menu from over $300 down to $95.  Since wine is available gratis, do many people actually buy that?

Ray

We certainly did not.  They would come to your table and offer wine, both red and white.  If you looked at the bottle and didn't care for that wine, you could just ask for a different one.  We found a white wine we liked just because it was offered to us one day and we tried it.  It was a Gavi white and sometimes we would order that instead of our usual.  They have no problem bringing you a different wine than what they have open at the moment.  However those very expensive wines, no I guess you would have to pay for that!  My palate isn't that particular!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Well, the problem with Juneau -- and almost all Alaska ports -- is that now so many of the large ships call on the same days.  Used to be different.  Luckily I have summitted Mt. Roberts (yeah, really...all the way to the top), done the Mendenhall/Nugget Falls hike, the government buildings, etc, etc back when Juneau wasn't overrun with 6 big ships all on the same day.  That was back before the new piers, and we ALWAYS had the preferred berth right next to the library.

I live in the PacNW so I go to Alaska every year.  But in Juneau I've given up on the Mendenhall, Mt. Roberts, anywhere on Franklin street, etc. However I have a favorite sushi shop up in town, about a mile walk from the harbor.  Only the locals go there.  So now that's ALL I do in Juneau .  Gorge on sushi until I can hold no more, then back to the ship.😞

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

We have bought a couple to reduce our OBC or lose.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We certainly did not.  They would come to your table and offer wine, both red and white.  If you looked at the bottle and didn't care for that wine, you could just ask for a different one.  We found a white wine we liked just because it was offered to us one day and we tried it.  It was a Gavi white and sometimes we would order that instead of our usual.  They have no problem bringing you a different wine than what they have open at the moment.  However those very expensive wines, no I guess you would have to pay for that!  My palate isn't that particular!

True the complimentary wines have been very good. Plus, the complimentary alcohols have been fine.

• Like 7

Good evening!  Thank you Sandi for the link to the previous thread for Juneau. This is what I posted March 14, 2021. We have been there two more times so 4 times total. 

We have been to Juneau twice , August 2012 and June 2019, both on the Oosterdam. DH may have been there with his father back in 2000, I’ll have to ask him. 

I don’t have the 2012 pictures on my phone and will look for those later. We were in Juneau on June 4, 2019 and it was a beautiful day.  In the first one you can see the tramway.

FDD56756-007E-4AC6-A80F-483C40E1AB20.thumb.jpeg.532162743620cb9bc4e51fb9a7a1a040.jpeg

595AD55E-703A-404C-AA85-E827872A997E.thumb.jpeg.b1e271e9dc7cb23e27844efdacc05880.jpeg

We wanted more time at Mendenhall glacier than we had in 2012 to have more time to go to the waterfall. In the video that is DH taking pictures and carrying my raincoat. 

197799C0-3FA2-4FE3-B701-236CC1BD07CD.thumb.jpeg.1a9f1a434e9dc5a337fa6406cc96022a.jpeg

A6448876-7402-470B-B7CB-CFD2108280E5.thumb.jpeg.41ed5bcaafacd256d57b8a784bb5a81c.jpeg

Some nice pictures of Mendenhall glacier:

171D6A3A-B328-49E3-BD21-1FEFEADBA853.thumb.jpeg.dcf95907c1825ab7708e0dd64e588a28.jpeg

27498FB5-0BEE-4F4A-8641-906E431B0356.thumb.jpeg.26085053df99a9a0bec59d3947acfad4.jpeg

Then sail away:

4DCD1EBE-B479-49C0-9BD7-5E8955DEB3AC.thumb.jpeg.97ce2075c85de1f76f908cf888979778.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3