The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, December 24th, 2023

kazu

Today is Christmas Eve, National Eggnog Day, and Libya Independence Day

Life is a tide; float on it. Go down with it and go up with it, but be detached. Then it is not difficult. --Prem Rawat

Meal Suggestion for today - Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Drink of the Day - Orangesicle
Wine of the Day - The Wonderland Project 2013 The White Queen Chardonnay
Destination of the Day - Darwin, Australia

Today in History:
1889 Daniel Stover & William Hance patent bicycle with back pedal brake

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 12-27

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Ushuaia, Argentina eta 12-31

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 12-25

Volendam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 12-25

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Bridgetown, Barbados eta 12-25

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 12-26

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Napier, New Zealand eta 12-26

Westerdam

Koh Samui Island Thailand 07:00 - 15:00

IMG_1871.thumb.jpeg.f9919524e225325f6ad3c4117ed1adda.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

StLouisCruisers safe travel to Ohio

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Passing of Kazu’s DBIL’s DM 

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruising-along’s DBIL with prostate cancer, responding to therapy

Tana with pulmonary issues

57redbird recovering from spinal fusion surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to grapau27’s Sarah!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

Ger_77 visiting family in Calgary

Smitty34877 visiting family in NH

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Petunia1950 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Nickelpenny (Zuiderdam to Jan 3, Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday), St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), GTVCRUISER(Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)) and Richwmn(Volendam to May 4, 12d Mexico & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 6 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Good afternoon.

It is currently 54°F and very windy.

It is our Sarah's birthday today.

Today's food sounds great.

I hope everyone is safe and well and ready for Christmas.

Pauline and I wish all of our Dailyite friends a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year.

Graham xx

merry-christmas-pictures-gif-for-sister.gif

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

StLouisCruisers safe travel to Ohio

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Passing of Kazu’s DBIL’s DM 

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruising-along’s DBIL with prostate cancer, responding to therapy

Tana with pulmonary issues

57redbird recovering from spinal fusion surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to grapau27’s Sarah!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

Ger_77 visiting family in Calgary

Smitty34877 visiting family in NH

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Petunia1950 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Nickelpenny (Zuiderdam to Jan 3, Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday), St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), GTVCRUISER(Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)) and Richwmn(Volendam to May 4, 12d Mexico & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 6 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise)

Thank you for Sarah's birthday wishes Vanessa @JazzyV.

Table is ready for Sarah coming tomorrow for Christmas day.

IMG-20231223-WA0006.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Unseasonably mild for us, we'll have a green Christmas.  Today's high is forecast to be 7°C (45°F), normal is -1°C (30°F), but it's foggy so Rudolph may have to guide the sleigh tonight.

Interesting quote.

I don't have an Instant Pot, should I get one?

I'm sure I'll like the drink and wine.

Someday, I'll get to Australia. 🤞

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@grapau27Happy Birthday to Sarah. 🎂

Have a great day everyone.  Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Merry Christmas to @erewhon,  Happy Birthday Sarah.

I'll pass on the eggnog.  I wonder how much better Libya is now after independence considering the years under Gaddahi.  A great day in bicycle development.

I like the quote.

The closest I have been to Darwin is Alice Springs.

Not convinced about the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Beef Stroganoff and Cherry Crisp which would have been my choices December 6, 2013 if  I had dined in the MDR rather than Canaletto,

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Sorry the Daily was a bit late this morning - technical issues.  Hoping this helps everyone smile today no matter what spirits they are in:

Once again this year, I've had requests for my Tequila Christmas Cake recipe so here goes: Please read carefully. Please keep in your files as I am beginning to get really tired of typing this up every year!

1 cup sugar
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 cup water
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
Nuts
1 bottle tequila
2 cups dried fruit

Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl; check the tequila again to be sure it is of the highest quality. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the tequila is still OK. Try another shot just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck iin the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the tequila to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the tequila.

Now shift the lemon ice strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 s and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the tequila and wipe the counter with the cat.

Cherry Mristmas

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 37

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report. Today will be a nice day with temperatures in the 40’s.  I’ll make a quick trip to the grocery store and then nothing much planned.  I want to stay away from the crowds.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and instead I’m going to make baked ziti, I was inspired by @dfish recipes and pictures. The wine is chilled to go along with dinner.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.84b4bf3f6e12588fc1b1c0d332d8eb43.png

• Like 27

Good morning Daily-ites from beautiful Rotterdam. We are at sea today, working our way to Ocho Rios (why I don't know..)

We had a nice dinner in PG last night. I had surf/turf, Allen had halibut (surprise) and finished with not quite baked Alaska. All good. 

We met a lovely couple that recognized me from the Daily. Hopefully we will have a moment to chat after lunch today

20231223_173623.thumb.jpg.6b908939ccbf0c34c6d33ef0b76b6390.jpg

20231223_185409.thumb.jpg.b8439db8542ba7e639cb00807b0d5b81.jpg

Tonight is a special Christmas Eve menu in Canaletto. I've already prechosen my dinner to be sure there's no garlic. Crab cake and a veal chop.

I'm thinking and praying for our Daily members, all on Vanessa's care list,  my prayer book and Sandi's DB and friends.

Wishing you all a blessed Christmas. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Merry Christmas Eve!

Hope all of you have a very safe, happy and healthy Christmas!

Don’t drink too much eggnog!

@grapau27   Very Happy Birthday to your Sarah. She is a wonderful gift.    
     Off to the beach to watch Surfing Santas. It is quite an event here.

A few pictures of Darwin. Great town. We were there on Rhanksgiving 2022. 

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Merry Christmas Eve!

Hope all of you have a very safe, happy and healthy Christmas!

Don’t drink too much eggnog!

@grapau27   Very Happy Birthday to your Sarah. She is a wonderful gift.    
     Off to the beach to watch Surfing Santas. It is quite an event here.

A few pictures of Darwin. Great town. We were there on Rhanksgiving 2022. 

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

Thank you.

Nice photos of Darwin.

• Like 9

Good morning everyone!

Up early finishing up my baking; I made cranberry bread and chocolate chip mint cookies today. Also made a cheescake, with strawberry sauce, which I will bring to the celebration tomorrow.

Celebrating Christmas Eve with some family. My sister is having an afternoon get together to watch the Vikings game with appetizers and some 'cheer'. 😊 My job is to bring a tray of cookies I baked. And wine.

I love egg nog, will probably have some on Christmas day.

Christmas day will be the big get together with family at my niece's house. She just bought a new home and is already having the big family Christmas...bless her! Everyone contributes food and drinks so that helps out.

My wish for you all here is to have a very blessed Christmas Eve and a joyous and peaceful Christmas Day.

Caron

Edited by Cruisercl
typo
  • Like 25

Merry Christmas Eve to all who celebrate!

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! It was a decent 32 here this morning! Last year when I was here, it was 10 with a horrific wind chill. My travels yesterday were fairly smooth. It was a nice day to travel. I forgot how early it gets dark here. Even though I arrived at the hotel around 4:30 it was dark. 😱 Had a fun meal with my niece. Made some cookies. Had a bit of wine. 😎 I am glad I made the trip. She has been working remotely for two years and she is starting to believe the lack of interaction with her colleagues is detrimental to her emotional health. So we discussed some options that might help. 
Then I returned to the hotel & crashed. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. I pray that you are able to enjoy some of the festivities with your BFF & find permanent relief to your pain. 

I already visited the fitness center to work off some of my Holiday cheer & am sitting enjoying my second cup of coffee looking out over a snowless landscape. Last year at least we had a dusting of snow. The festivities start around noon at my nieces, but I am heading over to help after I shower. I get to meet her SO’s clan!

IMG_2264.jpeg.b552f28a2bd84c4edfe04658c33e609a.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg.779d1046c49ea84c763e7ac3294f71b2.jpeg

IMG_2269.jpeg.ddf11421d157a0aab6066573722a94b0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those who are suffering from debilitating pain and conditions & those grieving a loss of a loved one. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

The Wonderland Project 2013 The White Queen Chardonnay

A fun name for a wine! Most distributors are sold out of the 2013 vintage, but if you find a later vintage, it might be worth trying. Especially if it is a free taste.  I have enjoyed a few Chardonnays, but I usually steer towards other whites. Ifyouare lucky enough to find this, a bottle will cost around $20.99.

Distributor notes

The Wonderland Project’s tasting notes describe “unctuous notes of honey, spiced peach, nougat, marzipan, burnt sugar and lemon cream.” I didn’t get all that, but I did experience the honey and peach notes, and maybe a little marzipan. The weight of the wine is what makes it a real treat. It’s nice and full without making you feel like you need to drink it with a fork, unlike some other huge and oaky California Chardonnays. The wine was fermented in stainless steel, then aged for seven months in 1/3 new French Oak, 1/3 neutral French Oak and 1/3 stainless steel. This proves to be a winning combination in both mouthfeel and finish.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Happy Christmas Eve to all.  Thanks @kazu for the daily and fleet report. Have never been a fan of eggnog and not sure about the last bit of the quote. Congratulations to Libya. I do a lot of instant pot chicken but mainly for shredded chicken. Pass on the drink and wine and never been to Darwin. Interesting patent!

IMG_2838.thumb.jpeg.865aabb280be6ca28759054f04224bcc.jpeg

I had a nice day yesterday.  Sat on the beach at Half Moon Cay. It was busy with the Rotterdam also there. Went to the island BBQ which was surprisingly good and quickly served. There was a wonderful banana bread cupcake that was scrumptious!!  Sat and people watched until time to return to the ship. Ate a very light dinner and then off to the Christmas Tree lighting with caroling. I really enjoyed it. Off to see the Step One dancers perform Humanity. I have seen this several times but it is one of my favorite dance routines. IMG_2830.thumb.jpeg.609f883294aad842244cdb9f53e3eeca.jpegIMG_2829.thumb.jpeg.122c4c19e0b332697b58e2761542c5f0.jpeg

The clock jumped forward last night and I am ready for 2 days at sea with lots of festive gatherings!

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to all of you!!

have a fantastic Christmas Eve!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Happy Christmas Eve. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

A little rain and a bit chilly today. Hopefully the rain will stop. 

Nothing much planned today. I am relaxing for the next week and doing things for myself. My family already had our Christmas together. I think I am going to actually read a book that has nothing to do with my work. Later it will be church and a drive to look at Christmas lights. After all of the business this past year, just doing nothing is on the schedule for me. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.4b86ce8db24fd8420c09e88cfa893cd0.png

• Like 25

Good morning on a gray, mild Christmas Eve everyone.  Thanks for today’s report.  I’ll happily celebrate Christmas Eve and eggnog this afternoon at our niece’s home in York, ME.  Happy Independence Day to Libya 🇱🇾.  I like the quote although I’m not sure that I fully understand it.  Pass on the meal suggestion for today, the drink sounds tasty though.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events and happy birthday to @grapau27’s Sarah!  Good luck to anyone doing their last minute shopping today!

Edited by Mr. Boston
Spelling
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

I am going to take a break today until after Christmas to continue my cruise review cause there are so many good recipes and pictures of food on this thread that I would not like to ruin your appetite!

Besides it’s the day to celebrate RedneckBob’s famous Jack Daniels Eggnog. One part Jack, one part egg, one part nog! Funny after Christmas Day I can’t remember what I did! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 14

Good morning and a wonderful day to celebrate, Christmas Eve!    Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @kazu.   No eggnog here, though I had some for the first time in years at the wine dinner we went to.  I know why I don't care for it, nutmeg.   Libya is probably celebrating today, than goodness we hear little about that country now.   A very strange quote.   Thanks in advance for photos of today's port.  I am sure many of our group will have visited there before.   I will pass on the instant pot chicken, we don't even have an air fryer.   Pass on the sweet cocktail but today's wine in a more recent year should be very good.

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports each day @JazzyV.  I hope you have been able to get some better sleep.  Prayers for all in war zones at this holy time of year, especially Ukraine, we are going on two years.   Prayers for the safe return of the hostages and relief for the innocents in Gaza.  

We had a nice dinner with our lake neighbors but the food was horrid at the restaurant I chose.  I thought it would be close for both couples and not too crowded.  There is a reason it was full of drinkers not eaters.   We will eat better today.  I am picking up my older sister whose car is in the shop.  @Cruisercl like you we will be enjoying the Vikings game through our afternoon dinner.   Shrimp cocktail, mini crab cakes, white asparagus and filet mignon.   Have a lovely Christmas Eve for all who celebrate!   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 23