The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday January 18th,

kazu

Today is Get to Know Your Customers Day, Maintenance Day, and National Gourmet Coffee Day

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday, Billy Sunday, the Man and His Message: With His Own Words Which Have Won Thousands for Christ

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Drink of the Day - Hugo
Wine of the Day - Brovia-Vignavillej-Dolcetto-d'Alba
Destination of the Day - Newport, Rhode Island, US 

Today in History:
1788 First elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrives at Botany Bay to set up a penal colony

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Castries, St Lucia Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-19

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 01-20

Nieuw Statendam

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas USVI 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 01-22

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 01-20

Volendam

Pago Pago, Tutuila Island American Samoa 08:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 01-19

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination St Georges Grenada eta 01-20

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand 07:00 - 08:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Singapore eta 01-20

• Like 21
  • Thanks 22

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report! 

I have a third interview for the remote IT job I am a finalist for this afternoon. I am pretty sure this is the last interview as it is with upper management. Hopefully, I will know something by tomorrow. 🙂

I hope everyone here has a great day!  

• Like 47
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps.

Another snow squall warning for us.  It's winter!  Brrr.  We'll get out the snowblower and shovels in a little while.  We're not going anywhere (I think the highway is closed) but we have to keep at it.  I made cookies yesterday, maybe I'll bake some tarts today.

Good quote.

I love mashed potatoes.  I hope the drink and wine are good too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.  Stay safe and warm.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  I've finished my exercise and breakfast and now it's time to check in on you all.  Outside it's 21F but will be a nice sunny 50 degrees today.  Good day to go to my hair appointment and stop to stock up on wine.  🍷

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich today.  And thanks to Roy @rafinmd for the maps of the fleet.  I see it's Maintenance Day which is perfect for my hair appointment.  While I'm there my hairdresser will get to know me further through our varied discussions, and that's the best I can do because I don't have any customers myself.  No recognition for gourmet coffee from me though because I don't drink it.  I feel like we've had roasted garlic mashed potatoes before but that's fine.  We have ports over and over again.  But let's add something to those potatoes and make it a meal.  No thanks to the drink or wine of the day for me.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports.

Prayers for my DB and DGD, friends Scott and Bob and their caring wives, the people of Israel and Ukraine and the many hostages still held, and our men and women overseas being attacked on ships and on bases.  Also for our friends here on the Daily needing help with physical and mental stresses and pain.  Hope Chuck @catmando is doing well this morning as well as Vanessa @JazzyV.  A much better day for Nancy @ottahand7 and Paul @kochleffel🙏 

Cheers to our celebrations of happy events, and to those cruising!  🚢  Good luck to @seagarsmoker on that 3rd interview for the new job today.  Fingers crossed for you! 🤞  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up the lists everyday!  We appreciate your hard work. 🥰

The port this morning is Newport, Rhode Island, US and we had that port before on Jan. 29, 2023.  Almost a year ago.  I don't think I've ever been to Rhode Island before so have no photos today.  Finally a day off!  Here is the link to Jan. 29, 2023 for you.  Looks like I was posting the Daily that day.

Oh goodie!  Charlie Brown and Lucy for our entertainment!  

Hope everyone has a good, productive day today.  Please stay safe and well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Marshhawk’s DH with angioplasty yesterday

Ottahand7 with bronvhitis and steroid side effects

1Angelcat’s friend Steve torn quad, post surgery, D/C home

Haljo1935’s heat not working

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Nickelpenny with leg numbness

Tana with pulmonary issues

Rafinmd getting radiation treatments

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home Kochleffel!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Denise T’s good fasting blood sugar

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim holding his own

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 19

Good Thursday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Still cold here. It's 19 right now, warming up to 30. Expecting another round of snow tomorrow. When will it be spring?! I do love mashed potatoes. 

Before bed, my blood sugar made it down to 97! So very happy with the results I am seeing. Knowing how my body responds to certain foods allows me to make better choices. Feeling so much better too. 

Working from home today. have a few clients and a class to teach. But at least I am not out driving in this cold. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.ba97ac57c17dac021b21842c0cabde6b.png

• Like 33
  • Haha 8

Hugo cocktail:

Ingredients
2 sprigs fresh mint, divided
1/2 ounce elderflower cordial or syrup (1 tablespoon)
4 ounces chilled prosecco or other dry sparkling wine (8 tablespoons)
2 ounces chilled club soda, seltzer, or sparkling water (4 tablespoons)
Ice
1 lime wheel
Instructions
Pick the leaves from 1 fresh mint sprig and place in a wine glass. Add 1/2 ounce elderflower cordial or syrup and muddle gently with a muddler or wooden spoon to lightly bruise the mint leaves and release their oils.
Add 4 ounces prosecco and 2 ounces club soda. Top with ice. Gently stir to combine. Garnish with 1 lime wheel and the remaining mint sprig.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 7.02.16 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 18

Good morning everyone and thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for their dedication.

Good collection of days. I will gladly celebrate gourmet coffee day.  Get to know your customers was a mantra of mine for myself and my staff when I was working.  I SO agree with today’s quote.  We were supposed to go to today’s port in April, but HAL amended the itinerary.

IMG_1965.thumb.jpeg.38da6890d63159fdecd57d7c02c270b2.jpeg

After hours I gave up on the driveway and hired someone to help shovel the ice.  pricey and I don’t know how good of a job they did.  I’ll survey today and hope. if I lived on the right side of the street (the said that gets the sun all day on theirs) it would make things so much easier.

IMG_1972.thumb.jpeg.a475f09c7d5a2df09de8816ba101e5c0.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, in pain, health problems, worries and those that need them.  🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1963.thumb.jpeg.d2ab38fd6d026d8fc84ccef7b4f2317d.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

I have a third interview for the remote IT job I am a finalist for this afternoon. I am pretty sure this is the last interview as it is with upper management. Hopefully, I will know something by tomorrow. 🙂

Best wishes on getting a new job that you will enjoy. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui!  Roy,mthank you for our maps!  It is 44 here this morning, but there is currently no wind! Woo hoo! Last evening’s walk with Bindi was brutal. The wind seemed to be blowing from every direction! All the folk walking their dogs were bundled up. 

IMG_2422.jpeg.f718206fe75f1f1a273e3072f6603316.jpeg

IMG_2418.jpeg.e5b9999bbaa077ecbd87815a4ccba83c.jpeg

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with us. I am thrilled you will have someone else do all your shoveling for you. Praying that you find the answer to eliminating your pain. And reap the benefits of a great night’s sleep - soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and lunch with friends that I met on my 2019 Hawaiian cruise with HAL. It all started on the roll call. Sometime you just click with people. This couple is escaping from Pennsylvania and heading for a cruise from Port Canaveral. It will be great to see them. 

IMG_2389.jpeg.01eb6437254246550da5aa399dba431a.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg.df2db0e6b4adb50fc5a558a49e45ab0f.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg.932ad9968acd5474174f777ace7517d0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. So many Dailyites, family members and friends need our support.  

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @seagarsmoker Congrats on the 3rd interview! Knock their socks off! Don’t forget you can always use us as references. 😜

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Brovia Vignavillej Dolcetto d'Alba 2020

No clue why the hyphens appeared in the name, but you won’t find any on this Italian red’s label. I used the 2020 vintage info, since that should be ready to drink and fairly easy to find. Be sure to let this one breathe a bit before drinking, or you could even decant it. Lots of consumer fans. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $21.99. 

Winemaker Notes

Harvested from classic clay-limestone soils from plots in Castiglione Falletto and Serralunga d’Alba, some planted in 1981 and the other portion in 1993. The grapes are crushed and fermented in stainless steel at 29 degrees Celsius for a period of a week to 10 days; then aged in stainless steel for seven to nine months before the bottling (unfiltered). Approximately 10,000 bottles are produced annually, about one-quarter of which is dedicated to the US market.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 4

My very best wishes for your interview and hopefully a successful outcome 🤞 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a gray foggy morning in Lima, Peru. Actually according to locals it’s like this most of the time. So I was glad that we had such a sunny sail in yesterday. Last night we went on a private Gourmet food tour in Lima. We dined at four different venues. First was direct waterfront where we enjoyed Pisco Sours and several appetizers of which one was ceviche. Peruvian custom is to eat seafood only at lunch to ensure its freshness. Our next stop was a famous restaurant where celebrities, statesman and royalty have dined. Around ten of us sampled just about every appetizers on the menu were sampled. Now I’m starting to get full. Two more unique venues and we returned to ship and caught the end of a colorful Peruvian Cultural Dance show. Some bags lined the hallway which brought smiles knowing we have nine more segments to go.

We sail at five for several sea days to Easter Island.

Thanks for the report.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7ae1e65316d97c7b1a0ef9411448588.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e276eaffc469bd03c9d95f11ce7f3664.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.305ae5dc1f68244e3de84f7dce75bcc9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a9038846798afb7817e32f4312253d5e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.63232534c8b728b4cf404cfe12e0a404.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9453fc4e7f8a80933d573c3b303e122a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d2113d2c87dcdab1112d9dd7a0e3f4eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.19d8b13f1b70ba5dd97739142cc00be4.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  It really does help when people get to know their customers - it often results in greater sales and happiness on both sides.  Maintenance Day - does that mean I have to dust as well as vacuum?   I think if we go out today I'll treat us to some gourmet coffee for a change.

Well our balmy weather was short lived; Mother Nature can be very fickle at this time of year because right now we've got a strong wind blowing which brings the wind chill temperature to -41C again.  It was nice yesterday not having to wear a t-shirt, sweater, fleece vest, scarf and downfilled jacket while going out, but it's looking like we'll be layering up again today.  I've never minded the snow, but the cold is really annoying.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your 2 friends; it's hard to process one, let alone two at once.  May their souls rest in peace and may your memories bring you comfort.

@seagarsmokerGood luck with your 3rd interview today . . . you got this!!

@kazuI'm glad you finally bit the bullet and got help with your driveway; you shouldn't be taking this on all alone.  The cost involved is minor compared to the damage you could do to yourself, plus it gives you peace of mind knowing someone else is taking care of it for you.

We had some difficult news yesterday; a fellow who was a great help to us during the making of DH's historical video was going into palliative care.  He'd been diagnosed with bone cancer in his spine in September, and hasn't responded well to any of the treatments.  He's been at home since early December, but has been virtually bedridden for the past 3 weeks and is declining rapidly.  Sad, as he was such a big, vibrant, energetic man.  Cancer sucks.

I'd like to try the drink of the day (another one to have while sitting on the deck of a BHB), would appreciate the wine, and we love garlic mashed potatoes, but don't think we'd make a total meal out of them.  We've got leftover beef stew that we'll be enjoying in the warmth of our kitchen tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all who have something to celebrate today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry  

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily updates.  I have no customers, aren’t they always right?  We have a handyman coming to price the installation of a small access door in our house today.  It’s cold here today so a cup of gourmet coffee would be welcome.  Today’s dish definitely needs to be served with a main.  I’ll wait and see on the drink.  Interesting quote, I’d need the full context to form an opinion about it.  Newport is a charming place although I don’t have any pictures of it.  Prayers for those on our prayer list today, here’s hoping for some improvements.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 31

Good morning. It will be marginally warmer later but the snow and colder temperatures return tomorrow. Yesterday it took three of us to get the ice off the cars in the driveway. Like @kazu, Jacqui, we don’t get the sun until late afternoon here and nothing melted anyway. I found myself walking the dogs very gingerly as not all neighbors got their sidewalks well cleared.

i have been to Newport many times but never on a cruise. My brother was stationed there while in the Navy and met my DSIL at one of the many bars. They were married at the Officers Club there after he returned from Vietnam. The bridge had not been built and I remember taking a ferry to reach Newport. My brothers’ family lives in Southeastern Mass and we often took day trips there. It is a great place to visit. I have pictures in my mind only!

Garlic mashed potatoes are very popular here. They would go nicely with the beef stew that is in the crackpot for dinner tonight. 
My coffee is not particularly gourmet but I have to say that my one cup a day is one of life’s greatest pleasures.

@seagarsmoker, I am hoping you get good news today.

@marshhawk, I hope @catmando is doing well today and that you both can get some rest. The bird pictures were so beautiful yesterday.

Stay warm and safe today everyone 

• Like 32

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I was sorry to read about the loss of your two friends. My condolences. It is very hard to lose those who knew us when we were younger.

@ger_77, Gerry, I am sorry about your friend entering palliative care. Cancer does so completely suck and sometimes it is incredibly aggressive.Sending hugs.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@seagarsmoker  Sending you best wishes and good karma for today. Rest assured that you have many, many cheerleaders here at the FR&D!

-Cat

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1