What to bring on excursions

Just wondering what everyone brings on excursions. I would like to bring the least amount of things as possible. Was thinking cruise card, cash, credit card and phone. Do I need to bring my license or passport? I would prefer not to.

I guess it depends on where you are. I have only done Europe/UK and Transatlantic but they pretty much always told us to bring a governmnet issued photo ID, or at least a copy of one. Not that they were ever checked, but on an excursion in Skagway they checked our passports before the tour (Yukon), and only originals would do.

(FWIW it was CLEARLY stated on the excursion ticket that a passport would be required. Not that that stopped people from not bringing it and having to get back on the ship to get it...)

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

Depends on where you are and what you plan on doing. If we're getting off in an area with a decent city and plan to just walk and wander, we'll bring a small wallet with minimal cash, drivers license, one credit card, and the ship card. Phone for navigating and taking photos, and if it's a safe area that is scenic I'll bring my regular camera with small camera bag. Everything else stays in the safe (other credit cards, bank card, insurance cards, etc etc).

If we're doing a beach or snorkeling trip, we have a small backpack that squishes up in our suitcase when not in use that we bring with a towel, bottle of water, sunscreen, snorkeling mask, etc. 

Read the dailies the night before to see what they say you need for the port in general, and look at all the details on your excursion tickets if you booked through NCL. When it says you need a passport - you must have a passport. We did a trip in Spain that took us to Gibraltar and you had to have a passport when you crossed the border. First stamp I have from crossing on foot 😁 

• Like 2

you’ll often be on a bus with 40 - 50 people, half of whom will invariably be coughing or sneezing, particularly if the cruise has been going on for more than three or four days. i recommend you bring a properly fitting face mask, if you want to increase your chances  of not returning home sick.

• Like 6

We take passport, room card, some cash/credit card, phone.  

We always cut the name and number of the port agent from the front page of the dailies and put it with our money just in case.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

We always cut the name and number of the port agent from the front page of the dailies.....

This is particularly important if you are on and independent, non-ship sponsored tour where if there is an issue with returning, you can contact them to notify the ship of your situation.  This of course does not guarantee the Captain will wait for you if you are significantly delayed, but it will at least make them aware of your situation and possibly provide a way to get assistance.

This is not as critical with ship sponsored tours.

• Like 1

Unless the country requires, we never take our passport as we have pictures of them on our phones.

We take DL, Ship Card, Cash for TourGuide tips, and a credit card.

We don't typically buy anything when travelling, other than perhaps a meal on shore, and if a credit card is not accepted then we don't bother.

We take the absolute minimum and try not to have any backpack unless threat of rain and then we take our collapsable umbrellas. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

This is particularly important if you are on and independent, non-ship sponsored tour where if there is an issue with returning, you can contact them to notify the ship of your situation.  This of course does not guarantee the Captain will wait for you if you are significantly delayed, but it will at least make them aware of your situation and possibly provide a way to get assistance.

This is not as critical with ship sponsored tours.

I've been on a few ship sponsored excursions that have left people behind who didn't come back to the bus at the appointed time. Now I always take a pic of that information. Just in case.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

I've been on a few ship sponsored excursions that have left people behind who didn't come back to the bus at the appointed time.

Good point.  My reference regarding the lesser importance of having that information was with the tour's return timing itself - not thinking of individuals as you describe who fail to return to the bus at the appointed time.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Good point.  My reference regarding the lesser importance of having that information was with the tour's return timing itself - not thinking of individuals as you describe who fail to return to the bus at the appointed time.  

After the third time seeing this, I don't let the bus out of my sight. LOL Sometimes I just hang out with the driver. That has honestly been more interesting to me than wandering around yet another shopping district.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting that only one person has mentioned sun screen. It's always in my day bag. I add mosquito repellant if the excursion is likely to head into a bug prone area. I always carry water. Plus the stuff mentioned up thread.

• Like 1

Usually you will need a photo ID and your cabin card to show to re-enter the port area. Depending on what we are doing I will bring a small amount of cash, if there is an opportunity to shop I'll add a bit more cash and a credit card. We normally remember sun screen and water. Beach days require a pool towel for each of us. We recently bought a backpack to make lugging everything easier. Camera and at least one cell phone (DW hate's to be without hers in any event). We have a couple of disposable ponchos as well. (Like a lot of people we leave passports in the safe and bring our DL's but different strokes for different folks on this one, many will bring their passports with them.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

Interesting that only one person has mentioned sun screen. It's always in my day bag. I add mosquito repellant if the excursion is likely to head into a bug prone area. I always carry water. Plus the stuff mentioned up thread.

Sun screen is in my shore excursion bag.  As well as ship's card, photo ID, cash, credit card, and water.  And either my camera or phone (for pictures only).  

If I'm going on a ship excursion it's easier because often you can leave a small bag/pack on the bus, just FYI.

I think most cruise lines advise taking some form of official ID; I always take one.

At any rate, I generally carry a cross body bag with all of the basics you mention with the addition of some other kind of official ID (license, if passport is not required), sunglasses, lip balm, tissues, a couple of bandaids and water bottle.

With regard to sunscreen, I generally apply in the morning before leaving. I'm not one who regularly cruises to beaches and hot climes. If I'm going to be outdoors a LOT (e.g., half a day at an archaeological site), I might bring a small tube.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shof515 said:

i always bring a water bottle and some snacks when i get off the ship in the ports of call

I go NOWHERE without my water bottle.

• Like 1

It depends on the type of excursion.  For beaches we take a water wallet with ship cards, ids, credit card, and cash. Plus a beach bag for towels, sunscreen, snorkel masks, bottles of water.  My husband has the camera.

For other warm weather excursions we leave the beach bag behind.  I tuck the water wallet into my top and carry a water bottle.

For cold weather excursions I bring a small cross body bag with all the things I carry in the water wallet.  I bring a water bottle too.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, shof515 said:

i always bring a water bottle and some snacks when i get off the ship in the ports of call

Be wary about taking food of the ship.....it is a can of worms and could upset the authorities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Be wary about taking food of the ship.....it is a can of worms and could upset the authorities.

You are correct.  And this certainly can vary by port of call and cruise line, but typically unopened snacks in their original factory packaging are generally ok to take off the ship.  Fruits and other like foods, however, are typically forbidden in most ports of call.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are correct.  And this certainly can vary by port of call and cruise line, but typically unopened snacks in their original factory packaging are generally ok to take off the ship.  Fruits and other like foods, however, are typically forbidden in most ports of call.

It does vary and checking rules for every port would be more cumbersome than it is worth, IMO.  The oft given advice about using only packaged foods, while not 100% correct, is much easier.  

I wish the US Dept of Agriculture would ban all rhubarb and okra (imported and home grown).