The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 19th, 2024

kazu

7 hours ago, summer slope said:

I should have said yesterday the Pilot had warned us of the shakey landing.  When we landed in Ft. Lauderdale the airport was jam packed.  MANY flights either delayed or cancelled. One person asked me where we were coming from and how long were we delayed.  We left on time and landed 10 minutes early.  I can't imaging what the travel is like toay.

We were at the FLL airport yesterday, flight scheduled for 5:20 pm.  Got to the the airport around 11:30, after getting rained out at the Everglades.  Saw people sleeping on the floor at the ticketing area.  Got checked in and went to the gate...what a mess.  Heard flights diverted because of weather, then bad weather alert on the phone.  We were sent to a new gate two times, finally departed around 9:30.  Got home around midnight.  We were glad to get home!  Our cruise on Nieuw Statendam was wonderful, can't say enough good things about the staff, food, entertainment and everything else.  The only "issue" we had was finding somewhere to sit on sea days, not enough chairs!  I'm off to donate blood, have a good afternoon!  K

Edited by quilty964
  • Like 17

I thought I had posted, but don't see it; guess after I was interrupted by an early work call I didn't hit "submit." Coast Guard Reserves serve an important role and deserve their day. Same for Ms Daisy.

Pass on the meal, think I would like the drink and wine, not been to the port.

It was 43° when I started this post this morning, headed to sunny 70°. Hope we sun the sun every day as forecasted.

HR called today to discuss an accommodation - it was the guy that stood me up a couple times. He didn't set an appointment, just called my cell out of the blue. Right in mid-question he said he had an appointment and had to go. Well, ok...

Still need to finish emptying under the sinks for the plumber; no idea what sidetracked me, but something did. If it weren't for the dogs, I'd just pile it all on the floor next to the cabinet since I will have to put it back in. But don't want to risk the dogs getting into something they shouldn't. So I'll box it up and put in the laundry room. How do we accumulate so much stuff?

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240219_084351.thumb.jpg.d172fa2016b67e2ade52ffb4fb2aa153.jpg

• Like 14

I heard from my friend Sandy and it wasn't good news about Bob.  Apparently his dementia had been in early stages for a while now but he really moved all of a sudden into severe.  He would get agitated and become violent.  She isn't able to have him at home anymore.  The poor woman is so depressed and worried about what's happening to Bob and her future life.  Please keep her and Bob both in your prayers!🙏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 12

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I heard from my friend Sandy and it wasn't good news about Bob.  Apparently his dementia had been in early stages for a while now but he really moved all of a sudden into severe.  He would get agitated and become violent.  She isn't able to have him at home anymore.  The poor woman is so depressed and worried about what's happening to Bob and her future life.  Please keep her and Bob both in your prayers!🙏

Dementia is such a cruel disease. Prayers and positive thoughts for Sandy and Bob.🙏

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a sunny and windy, 10 mph, Quartzsite.  My guess is the wind is the leading edge of the storm that's heading to the California coast.  The forecast is for the storm to miss us, but we could get some rain on Wednesday.  The temperature was in the 40s when we left for Parker this morning, and by the time we got home, I could change into shorts and sandals.  It's about 79F outside.

The coast Guard Reserves and Daisy Gatson Bates definitely deserve to be honored.  I'll pass on the tug-of-war.

An interesting quote, even with the substitution.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds like one to try.

We have not been to today's port.

In 1878, Thomas Edison made another step forward in communication and entertainment.

@superoma Eva. and @kochleffel Paul, thank you for the wonderful job you did filling in for Debbie @dfish and Dixie @summer slope.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad you and Sue made it home safely, even if it was late.

@summer slope  Dixie, I'm happy you and your DH made it home safely, even if it was a bumpy landing.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry you had a difficult weekend, but glad that everyone helped to make it more doable.  It sounds like the teenager is maturing and is very interested in cooking.  Could food service or culinary school be in his future?

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad your DH's eye pressure is remaining stable.  I hope your DSIL will receive a plan of action soon, and that she will make a full recovery.

@AncientWanderer  It's good to see you back here.  The Daily Four on the Koningsdam were wondering if everything was all right since we hadn't seen you posting for a while.

@quilty964  I'm glad you made it safely home yesterday, if somewhat late.

356904134_644122667738171_644746430387730168_n.jpg.78b32cc25ea6019353abc1c0000ce078.jpg

361900283_659870706163367_7756161869247610645_n.jpg.d921a7acc1c65f6bfcbd7cc10600a295.jpg

362656782_723158749825757_4916384111595078284_n.jpg.419b8c8c9bc5a91487f9f0dc1e6ae63b.jpg

363356203_701242292044193_5902645024627527661_n.jpg.5577d356eb3c996521d5bdf36be4eddd.jpg

363419408_781114537354014_4456401524591915115_n.jpg.73f1c1272534a3d1918ba41f436858ca.jpg

363780984_613702650871604_3750732479704492450_n.thumb.jpg.bb0feaf1ae45e83dce99e8884a0c817d.jpg

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good morning and thanks all!  Welcome back cruisers!  Happy family day!   And presidents day! 
So sad to hear the news in Minnesota,  unfortunate that these people take others with them.   I’ve attended one  line of duty funeral and that was more than enough!  I know how it affects the families and other officers.   

@kochleffel wait a week or two before making those decisions.   Utah is absolutely gorgeous and you can see a lot without intense hiking.   Agree about how flying is no fun anymore, as I anticipate a red eye home in a few weeks, but it has been so worth it! 

DSC_1728.jpeg

DSC_1732.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Well I have another task to squeeze in today - the replacement TV box arrived. We do it ourselves, so no installer schedule to juggle, but also means a call to Support if we have issues. When this box was ordered, the techie said to be sure to use the new cord not existing one as it could be part of the issue. So that means accessing the back of TV - ugh. Too cold to watch TV outside - DH is missing his sports, so we need to get it done.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, 57redbird said:

😂 @dfish re: leaving the suitcases in the entry till May.

I did move them back to the bedroom and there they sit.

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning everyone.  I've been skimming lately -- very little posting anywhere.  Nice to see all the happy cruisers.  Thoughts are with those having difficulties.

I've noticed that @marshhawk hasn't been posting -- not even on Sunday, a day she  seems to particularly enjoy here.  Both she and her DH have been having troubles lately.  Sending prayers their way.  Hope all is well.

Great to hear from you!  As Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser said, we were wondering about you and hoping everything was ok.  I'm glad you posted, but your ears must have been ringing!

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Eating too much kale can contribute to kidney stones?

How do they know?  In the entire history of humankind, has there ever been a case of somebody gorging themselves with kale?  

I like kale occasionally.  A couple three times a year, Mrs. XBGuy will buy kale because she wants to try a recipe.  I cannot imagine overeating kale.  If I'm going to overeat something, more likely it would be Filet Mignon or Cinnabons.

😁

I wondered, so I looked it up.  Generally, no, kale is not one of the culprits.  It is relatively low in oxalates.  The biggest culprit is salt, which causes you to have more calcium in your urine.  The calcium then binds with the oxalates and forms a stone.  High oxalate foods are spinach, beets, almonds, and rhubarb.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

wait a week or two before making those decisions.   Utah is absolutely gorgeous and you can see a lot without intense hiking.   Agree about how flying is no fun anymore, as I anticipate a red eye home in a few weeks, but it has been so worth it!

Thanks. I know never to make important decisions at this time of year, and also not to act quickly on thoughts that I have in the middle of the night.

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

The biggest culprit is salt, which causes you to have more calcium in your urine.  The calcium then binds with the oxalates and forms a stone.  High oxalate foods are spinach, beets, almonds, and rhubarb.  

This is something that I keep in mind, because Swiss chard is one of my favorite vegetables, and chard is merely a beet that is grown solely for the foliage. But I can't obtain it very frequently.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm so sorry to hear your news Sandi.

2 of Pauline's friends family members had similar experiences.

Unfortunately they initially said nothing because they didn't want to be parted from their partners and just took the punches and assaults.

Eventually they were put in nursing homes and their partners could see them daily without being assaulted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Dementia is such a cruel disease. Prayers and positive thoughts for Sandy and Bob.🙏

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry to hear your news Sandi.

2 of Pauline's friends family members had similar experiences.

Unfortunately they initially said nothing because they didn't want to be parted from their partners and just took the punches and assaults.

Eventually they were put in nursing homes and their partners could see them daily without being assaulted.

Thank you both.  It's so sad and hard to believe of the kind, fun, interesting person he used to be.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I am so sorry that Bob has had these problems. It is so hard on everyone. 
My last ten years in the workforce were spent at a nursing home/ rehab. It was always painful to hear the families discuss their difficulties managing their loved ones when they were agitated and violent. 
Sending prayers their way and wishing you the best. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I am so sorry that Bob has had these problems. It is so hard on everyone. 
My last ten years in the workforce were spent at a nursing home/ rehab. It was always painful to hear the families discuss their difficulties managing their loved ones when they were agitated and violent. 
Sending prayers their way and wishing you the best. 

Thank you Terry.  Praying for them is all we can do now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Great to hear from you!  As Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser said, we were wondering about you and hoping everything was ok.  I'm glad you posted, but your ears must have been ringing!

Like they say, be there or be talked about!  Sure would have loved to have hopped on that ship and joined you guys.  Thought about if more than once.  Glad you had a great time!

I haven't been on the internet much because of just plain tiredness.  In early November I caught The Cough.  That stinking bug going around had me awake coughing all night for a full two months.  DH and grandkids had it for a really long time, too.

Holidays were a blur this year.

It worries me to think of some here getting this virus, having lung problems to begin with.  Not a good one.

Anyhoo...thanks Lenda and Debbie for the kind words.  

Speaking of words, those I'm typing keep jumping around here on the page.  Not sure if it's my computer or CC.  But I better stop typing before something comes out totally wrong!

• Like 16

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you both.  It's so sad and hard to believe of the kind, fun, interesting person he used to be.  

Sandi, dementia is about the cruelest disease.  You keep losing your loved one long before they die.  We've had three close family members with it.  One was like your friend, the life of the party, and he turned mean.  My stepmother was a wonderful and very sharp and intelligent lady, and it hurt to see the changes in her when we'd visit.  Her daughter told me that she lived seven years too long.

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Like they say, be there or be talked about!  Sure would have loved to have hopped on that ship and joined you guys.  Thought about if more than once.  Glad you had a great time!

I haven't been on the internet much because of just plain tiredness.  In early November I caught The Cough.  That stinking bug going around had me awake coughing all night for a full two months.  DH and grandkids had it for a really long time, too.

Holidays were a blur this year.

It worries me to think of some here getting this virus, having lung problems to begin with.  Not a good one.

Anyhoo...thanks Lenda and Debbie for the kind words.  

Speaking of words, those I'm typing keep jumping around here on the page.  Not sure if it's my computer or CC.  But I better stop typing before something comes out totally wrong!

Your welcome.  As we commented when we were tasting the Chocolate Chicken, that this has really become a community, and we grow concerned when we don't heard from someone for a while.  

I hope you are feeling better.

I had to smile when I saw, anyhoo.  My grandmother said that all the time, and I haven't heard the phrase since she died in 1964.  It brought back many wonderful memories.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good morning from Quartzsite.   We're headinf to Parker to,get some much needed groceries.  I'll read the Daily when we get back and have everything put away.

Lenda

We just missed you! We passed through Parker about 8:30am this morning on our way home from Lake Havasu City. 

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I've noticed that @marshhawk hasn't been posting -- not even on Sunday, a day she  seems to particularly enjoy here.  Both she and her DH have been having troubles lately.  Sending prayers their way.  Hope all is well.

Annie @marshhawk sent me a Jacquie Lawson ecard on Valentine's Day. Hope they are both OK. 

• Like 11

Good evening, I hope everyone had a great day. It was a nice sunny afternoon and no rain is expected until Friday. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Tonight is the tribute episode for Ducky on NCIS.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, prayers for them both. My Mother developed dementia. She was a schoolteacher, and such an articulate person. It was so sad to watch her lose herself. The last year and a half of her life, she didn't recognize me. The saving grace was that she became childlike, and wanted to kiss you or hold your hand. The fact that she was so sweet got her a lot of good attention from the nurses in the nursing home where she eventually ended up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sandi, dementia is about the cruelest disease.  You keep losing your loved one long before they die.  We've had three close family members with it.  One was like your friend, the life of the party, and he turned mean.  My stepmother was a wonderful and very sharp and intelligent lady, and it hurt to see the changes in her when we'd visit.  Her daughter told me that she lived seven years too long.

Your welcome.  As we commented when we were tasting the Chocolate Chicken, that this has really become a community, and we grow concerned when we don't heard from someone for a while.  

I hope you are feeling better.

I had to smile when I saw, anyhoo.  My grandmother said that all the time, and I haven't heard the phrase since she died in 1964.  It brought back many wonderful memories.

Lenda

Yes, a very cruel way to die.  Bob is a big man and retired on disability from the Massachusetts State Police.  Sandy is a tiny little gal and can't defend herself.  He would never do this if he was in his right mind.

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Sandi, prayers for them both. My Mother developed dementia. She was a schoolteacher, and such an articulate person. It was so sad to watch her lose herself. The last year and a half of her life, she didn't recognize me. The saving grace was that she became childlike, and wanted to kiss you or hold your hand. The fact that she was so sweet got her a lot of good attention from the nurses in the nursing home where she eventually ended up.

Aww, a sweet childlike patient would be so much easier to handle.  You can all be thankful for that.  My mother had dementia too but wasn't bad.  DMIL had some wild stories and couldn't stay put in bed but she wasn't mean or anything.  The condition varies so much.  I just hope DH and I never have to deal with it at the end of life.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yes, a very cruel way to die.  Bob is a big man and retired on disability from the Massachusetts State Police.  Sandy is a tiny little gal and can't defend herself.  He would never do this if he was in his right mind.

Sandi, I feel for your friends.  As others have said, dementia is a cruel disease because the body is there, but the person is not.  When my friend's mother died we all told her how sorry we were.  She said that her mother left her many years earlier.  Her body just caught up with her brain.  You are right, he would never do this if that were really Bob.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening, I hope everyone had a great day. It was a nice sunny afternoon and no rain is expected until Friday. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Tonight is the tribute episode for Ducky on NCIS.

Thank you for mentioning this. I was a huge ncis fan in the Gibbs and mallard era. This was a beautiful tribute show

• Like 6

@aliaschief  Thanks for your reports, you had a good day visiting Picton.

What do you have planned for Port Chalmers?   Weather forecast is 18 C for Wednesday, cold southerly wind later in the afternoon.

Hope you will enjoy the day, as the day we met with you in Akaroa, we knew that  your visit to Port Chalmers the next day was cancelled, so we had to give you that sad news.

• Like 5