The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 23rd, 2024

kazu

Good afternoon from a still cloudy Quartzsite.  We decided to go into town for a drive-thru breakfast.  When we got home, I finally caught up on the last of the paperwork, and I can now see my desk!  This afternoon, I plan working on my pictures from our cruise, and if there's time, sitting outside with my book.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Nice collection of photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Today it is nice and sunny in SW Ontario and another day where the temperatures are above 0 Celsius , with no snow on the ground , which is very strange for February .

I might even think of starting to prepare my veggie gardens if it stays this way before we get on board the Nieuw Statendam at the end of March than I can hope to come back to leaf lettuce at the beginning in May .

We were also on the Veendam in mid January 2014 and had a very nice stop in  Kailua - Kona . Here a few pictures 

Tender into port 

image.jpeg.a2fe1167028fd89bada9a00c10b19861.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.937856f6f986c4ac3c34e13d40f6ded3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.840697b0b288842ce559fdc10506fc22.jpeg

We had taken along Martha's mom and cousin on this cruise 

image.jpeg.9ef4b06325877622bfb7b2ab13c96e6d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.019b9e4fa7b59d81bd689a02325b96b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14fceb252a03dc521e9334f7bd69c1cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.8aee08e98e6d401bdda517a69e909f36.jpeg

Visiting the very nice Painted church and beautiful grounds.

image.thumb.jpeg.83fa0d057c04168c7905febcec9c5bd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e7b952c206952daaf3c50ef13b3c3791.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d85a8c850315113ba1325fcd60a3e2a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.59252e8f1c6593eeed00bf555d74b8a9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12bbbf65c6cb36e2e259a309377a4b45.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb5c56b7da0406be0e25bd84256d1cb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60ca5b4af6784258381ff1593d1327b3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3bec57e41e062819a7aa6ebfbd76d150.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c6ccd458f5b44cd98838f276bed9ec7a.jpeg

Back on board ship and fell asleep

image.thumb.jpeg.1d60706df8696a397d3cbcc3602f2d3b.jpeg

This is was we came back to a couple of weeks later , it was almost impossible to get from Detroit airport and drive home . Than this again a couple of days later shovelling 
………. Forgot to put the car in the garage !

image.jpeg.51565b0f27794b231ff931127144fe11.jpeg

Have a great day everybody and Big Thank You  to the all people that are keeping the Daily alive and well so I can dig up all the nice cruise memories ! 

Tony 😘

Tony, enjoyed the lovely pictures.  It looks like we've been on at least two cruises together.  Maybe next time we'll finally meet.  In 2014, we stayed on Veendam for the roundtrip through the Panama Canal.  That cruise is memorable since we were under code red due to a Norovirus outbreak from Cozumel until we returned to Puerto Vallarta, and then from Cozumel to San Diego.  Infected passengers just would not isolate until they were well.  We were lucky not to get sick, but even Captain Peter Boz was sick.  I felt sorry for the crew who were constantly cleaning and sanitizing, including one day having to close half the Lido because of passengers who would not isolate.  Not the way you want to remember a cruise, but the crew and officers did an outstanding job trying to control the outbreak and keep the ship healthy.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily.

Curling is cool. I don't know much about diesel engines. Bullying is wrong and we should stand up to and end it. Good quote. I like oatmeal (raisin) cookies, I'll have to see what whole wheat ones are like. Maybe on the drink and wine (aroma of bacon fat?). I have been to Kailua-Kona. 

It's sunny and in the 50's! But a cold front is coming overnight and tomorrow will be 30's with a 20 wind chill. I slept about 5 hours. When I went to bed I tried laying on my back, and got the leg numbness and tingling in a few minutes (too early, I know). This AM I had symptoms, but definitely less intense. So I'm hopeful. One question I have is if I respond, how long does it last? I can ask the Neurosurgeon when I see her. I did schedule PT to start next week, but had to get a new script for it. Otherwise, I'm going to start working on the drawer in the DR buffet and server, getting rid of some things, before I bring anything into the rooms. The radiator still needs to be fixed, and a cleaning by the restoration people, so I don't want to put much in the rooms anyway. My new replacement area rugs came today, and the truck just pulled up to take away the POD my furniture was stored in while the floors were done.

@lindaler Happy Birthday!

@Crazy For Cats I just heard about that cyberattack on the news a few minutes ago.

@kazu I hope physio went well, and good luck with the weather mess (yet again). 

@Nickelpenny Thanks for the photos. 

@StLouisCruisers Nice that DS and DDIL have a week in Madrid together. Lovely Kona photos.

@ger_77 Sorry your friends had the food experience they did in the MDR.

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday to your DH!

@Haljo1935 @GTVCRUISER @sailingdutchy Nice Kona photos.

@smitty34877 I hope you're doing well and that Tana is having better days.

@RMLincoln Thank you for the interesting history that I knew nothing about.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos! 

@rafinmd That meal looks good. Thanks for the maps.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating. 

I visited Kona in 1992 on a trip to Hawaii. I used to shoot slides back then, but scanned some into the PC. I was at the Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park. 

This  ‘place of refuge’  was a safe haven for those that broke the Kapu laws, which in old Hawaii were punishable by death. If you reached the Puʻuhonua, you would be pardoned by Kahuna and given a second chance at life. 

1432200916_070-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.2159d209409eb4b0275771cbdd496c76.jpg

1625637450_072-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.7acb8480fa4491de4c9451934e9d17a6.jpg

The Hale o Keawe Temple, guarded by carved wooden Kiʻi.

1361842288_074-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.1d482dbfdb3194da90d511366cce9341.jpg

1472541015_076-10.1992-CarvedwoodenimagePuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.thumb.jpg.8ed20ad9e2e59c32a8a8e783ae18c3e7.jpg

Vanessa, I'm glad you got more sleep and that you have some relief already.  I hope that continues to get better.  I can't give you a definitive answer on how long the shots will last since they did not help DH.  However, he did get relief from steroid shots in his shoulders and hips, and they lasted quite a while.  The ones in his knees lasted about ten months.  Thanks for your pictures of Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park.  It is a lovely and peaceful place.

35 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks to all for your kind condolences.    I know my friend is very worried about her granddaughters,  so hard to lose a parent so young.  I worked a lot with teens who lost their parents and it is a very difficult time.  

On a happier note, Kona has been our winter home for many years so I have literally thousands of photos.   But I will share just a few

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpeg

Brenda, thank you for the beautiful pictures from Kona.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

I've been looking up flights for the conference in San Diego. Of course the schedules will probably change eleventeen times between now and then, but substantial change is unlikely.

I'd very much prefer to leave from my local airport, but that requires both leaving a day early and staying a day late. The schedules are better from Rochester, but getting back still requires an overnight stay after the conference, a redeye, or leaving before it ends, and driving to and from ROC (116 miles). I'd also prefer to fly on Delta, where I can check a bag free, but the schedules and fares are better on United.

It's all very annoying.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

I might even think of starting to prepare my veggie gardens if it stays this way before we get on board the Nieuw Statendam at the end of March than I can hope to come back to leaf lettuce at the beginning in May .

Gardening club member HAS to speak up - Tony, Tony, Tony - it’s only February and a degree above 0 is not enough for seeds.  they need at least 10 degree Celsius (preferably warmer to germinate.) And you have March to get through.  I know you’ve had warm weather for winter but it’s not planting weather and guaranteed freezing  weather is coming (if not snow) if it doesn’t freeze at night.  

Save your energy and make up for it when the weather is compatible. 

Your pictures are great as always.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

I know my friend is very worried about her granddaughters,  so hard to lose a parent so young.  I worked a lot with teens who lost their parents and it is a very difficult time.  

It is a tough time indeed for them 😢.  it’s hard to lose someone when you are young and hard to comprehend. 😢. Hopefully if they need help, they get it 🙏. Death is a cruel thing on younger people.

I remember taking my twin brother and sister from my grandfather’s funeral.  It was too much for them and I took them home and we talked and cried together.

Your pictures are always tremendous - I don’t say that enough.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Made it through the night and will work on getting through the day. The Tasman Sea is living up to its reputation. Bouncing around like a cork. Captain said yesterday that these conditions would continue until at least 4:00 PM today. First time we forgot duck tape. Could have used to keep closet doors opening and slamming.

Yikes Bruce.  by any chance did you bring Band-aids?  We found they worked to keep the drawers from banging on one pretty rough sea night.  We were near the end of the cruise and didn’t need them so we said WTH?  Depending on the way the waves are hitting a towel can help too.  At least you don’t hear the bang as badly.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I slept about 5 hours. When I went to bed I tried laying on my back, and got the leg numbness and tingling in a few minutes (too early, I know). This AM I had symptoms, but definitely less intense. So I'm hopeful. One question I have is if I respond, how long does it last? I can ask the Neurosurgeon when I see her. I

Woo hoo!  5 hours isn’t enough but it’s a lot more than you got in the past.  I am hopeful that the procedure will continue to improve your situation.  🤞 

One step at a time - if this works, even if you have to do it again, it’s worth it.

Hoping and praying for you 🙏 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@kazu  thanks so much for your kind words.  I lost my brother young and  it shaped my life.  It’s not a club anyone wants to join as you so well know.  And it is important that people get the help they need.  Sadly I think we don’t talk about grief      But do about politics and religion way more. 

I sure hope your elbow is cooperating a bit more. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu  thanks so much for your kind words.  I lost my brother young and  it shaped my life.  It’s not a club anyone wants to join as you so well know.  And it is important that people get the help they need.  Sadly I think we don’t talk about grief      But do about politics and religion way more.

So true, Brenda.  Everyone stops a couple of weeks after the loss.  Grief stays with you for a very long time and no one want to talk about it once they think the two weeks is over.

I am sorry you suffered that so young in your life.  I know the effect death had on my brother and sister.  It was hard on me and I was 12 years older but they were vulnerable.  I feel for you ♥️ and your friend’s very justified worry 💔 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kazu said:

Gardening club member HAS to speak up - Tony, Tony, Tony - it’s only February and a degree above 0 is not enough for seeds.  they need at least 10 degree Celsius (preferably warmer to germinate.) And you have March to get through.  I know you’ve had warm weather for winter but it’s not planting weather and guaranteed freezing  weather is coming (if not snow) if it doesn’t freeze at night.  

Your pictures are great as always.

It is a tough time indeed for them 😢.  it’s hard to lose someone when you are young and hard to comprehend. 😢. Hopefully if they need help, they get it 🙏. Death is a cruel thing on younger people.

I remember taking my twin brother and sister from my grandfather’s funeral.  It was too much for them and I took them home and we talked and cried together.

Your pictures are always tremendous - I don’t say that enough.

Yikes Bruce.  by any chance did you bring Band-aids?  We found they worked to keep the drawers from banging on one pretty rough sea night.  We were near the end of the cruise and didn’t need them so we said WTH?  Depending on the way the waves are hitting a towel can help too.  At least you don’t hear the bang as badly.

Woo hoo!  5 hours isn’t enough but it’s a lot more than you got in the past.  I am hopeful that the procedure will continue to improve your situation.  🤞 

One step at a time - if this works, even if you have to do it again, it’s worth it.

Hoping and praying for you 🙏 

Yes, we used towels/pillow and the desk chair. Waves have increased some waves reaching over the bow and couple have gotten onto promenade. My E Term motion sickness pulsating band has worked as advertised. The forward elevators have been shut down. Captain just came on waves have been in 6-7 meter range but should start decreasing around 4:00 PM but we still be rocking all night until we make it to Hobart for a two day stay. On day two we are leaving ship for a few days to visit Ayres Rock. Will return to ship March 1 in Sydney.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Yes, we used towels/pillow and the desk chair. Waves have increased some waves reaching over the bow and couple have gotten onto promenade. My E Term motion sickness pulsating band has worked as advertised. The forward elevators have been shut down. Captain just came on waves have been in 6-7 meter range but should start decreasing around 4:00 PM but we still be rocking all night until we make it to Hobart for a two day stay. On day two we are leaving ship for a few days to visit Ayres Rock. Will return to ship March 1 in Sydney.

Bruce, we got a roll of duct tape from our cabin steward once to use on a wayward closet door.

Lenda

• Like 6

Today we did some weekly grocery shopping.  Then I spent a few hours cross stitching while watching recordings on the DVR.  When the shoulders began to ache I did Sudoku for a bit and became sleepy so went to the napping room to lie down.  Catching up here since then.  A good day overall.

Brenda @bennybear your photos today are beautiful as always.  I was very sorry to hear of your friend's loss of her son.   I hope his children will have the support of family and friends to help them deal with their grief.🙏

@Mr. Boston please wish your DH a very happy birthday!  I know you are enjoying celebrating while on your cruise.🎉🎂

Vanessa @JazzyV I hope things start looking up concerning your leg issues and that sleep comes more easily as time goes on.  Good idea to sort through your belongings before you put the rooms back together.  Good luck getting your radiator repaired or replaced.  What a relief it will be go get this all sorted!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Bruce, we got a roll of duct tape from our cabin steward once to use on a wayward closet door.

Lenda

Thanks Lenda. Butler gave us extra hand towels that we wedged between handles. Seems to have worked. Definitely has been quite a ride.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersI may be off track but I wondered if you had doublechecked your Global Traveler renewal. I started the renewal January 21 and it is still pending. When I go to the page to check, the first thing that comes up is a green approved stripe but if I look closer, it's the old one. I have to scroll to the top of the page to find the current renewal info. Thought I'd ask, just in case.........

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@StLouisCruisersI may be off track but I wondered if you had doublechecked your Global Traveler renewal. I started the renewal January 21 and it is still pending. When I go to the page to check, the first thing that comes up is a green approved stripe but if I look closer, it's the old one. I have to scroll to the top of the page to find the current renewal info. Thought I'd ask, just in case.........

I renewed Nexus around the same time, and nothing has happened. The last renewal took only a few days. But they are saying that Nexus applications take 12-14 months, so the grace period is extended.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I just signed in again to check and yes, I was approved through my birthday in 2029.  And we received new Global Entry cards shortly thereafter and destroyed the old ones.  I did see where they mentioned renewal times were at 4-6 months right now.  I have no explanation for our very quick renewal time (1 or 2 days).

Below the green approved stripe in my account it has the new date of expiration 5 years from now.  

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just signed in again to check and yes, I was approved through my birthday in 2029.  And we received new Global Entry cards shortly thereafter and destroyed the old ones.  I did see where they mentioned renewal times were at 4-6 months right now.  I have no explanation for our very quick renewal time (1 or 2 days).

Below the green approved stripe in my account it has the new date of expiration 5 years from now.  

Lucky you! I will keep checking. At least the old cards are still good. We have several flights scheduled and I'm spoiled with Pre-Check.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Hi Jacqui @kazu thanks for including me in the Gardening club and for advice, much appreciated.

I know usually May 24 is the last day for a chance of frost in our area but leaf lettuce can take a little frost from what I found out a few years ago . Right now I might do some prepping , like raking leafs because we live in the woods and dig up some weeds  , I need the exorcise , and towards the time we are leaving on the N Statendam cruise I will double check the 14 day forecast and just sow some of those seeds , they usually germinate here in about 7 days and than we hope and see if there is lettuce when we get back . Nothing better than in the afternoon cut some lettuce for dinner that evening after a couple of hours in the fridge . I might even try spinach and Swiss chard ......what is a few dollars in seeds ?

Take care and hope your weather get s better soon !
Tony , gardeningdutchy 😘

• Like 7

Kailua-Kona is a favorite! DD and family moved to the Big Island years ago, first to the Kailua side, now closer to Hilo. We miss the west side of the island (Kailua-Kona),  especially the Packer Bar. We visit Hawaii as often as possible. 
Thanks to all of the Daily stories and updates, prayers for those in need. IMG_4562.thumb.jpeg.32df7655eb3ff0b97c106a4ca9164662.jpegIMG_4563.thumb.jpeg.222add12dbee5e6f6499862c5a29e329.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I renewed Nexus around the same time, and nothing has happened. The last renewal took only a few days. But they are saying that Nexus applications take 12-14 months, so the grace period is extended.

Ours is a Nexus renewal too. I wonder if that’s the difference?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Hi Jacqui @kazu thanks for including me in the Gardening club and for advice, much appreciated.

I know usually May 24 is the last day for a chance of frost in our area but leaf lettuce can take a little frost from what I found out a few years ago . Right now I might do some prepping , like raking leafs because we live in the woods and dig up some weeds  , I need the exorcise , and towards the time we are leaving on the N Statendam cruise I will double check the 14 day forecast and just sow some of those seeds , they usually germinate here in about 7 days and than we hope and see if there is lettuce when we get back . Nothing better than in the afternoon cut some lettuce for dinner that evening after a couple of hours in the fridge . I might even try spinach and Swiss chard ......what is a few dollars in seeds ?

Take care and hope your weather get s better soon !
Tony , gardeningdutchy 😘

Sounds like a plan!  Good luck Tony.

The only thing I have to prep here is ice.  I’m a bit green with envy on your weather.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Ours is a Nexus renewal too. I wonder if that’s the difference?

Nexus is a smaller program and may have less staff, but biggest difference is probably that it has to be approved by two countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/23/2024 at 2:55 AM, kazu said:

Outlook-image014.J.jpeg.ac7b60701f5e4e45fe44e76b86651ec3.jpeg

So true! 😁

When Uber/Lyft were first “invented” I thought NO WAY was I going to get in a strangers car!  Now I use ride share all the time when traveling (even used it in Amsterdam) and a few times at home. It’s very convenient. 😉 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

So true! 😁

When Uber/Lyft were first “invented” I thought NO WAY was I going to get in a strangers car!  Now I use ride share all the time when traveling (even used it in Amsterdam) and a few times at home. It’s very convenient. 😉 

I thought the same and resisted until work required we use ride share and stopped reimbursing car rentals and taxis. Oh my, for someone who traveled 10-11 months/yr that was a short learning curve - like getting pushed out of a plane w/no tandem partner. I used it daily for 8 weeks when working in So Africa.

• Like 4