kazu

Today is Amerigo Vespucci Day, Genealogy Day, and International Fanny Pack Day

I am an artist... I am here to live out loud. - Emile Zola

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Stroganoff
Drink of the Day - Suck Bang and Blow
Wine of the Day - Belle Fiore Winery 2018 Terramisso
Destination of the Day - La Possession, Reunion

Today in History:
1522 Martin Luther begins preaching his "Invocavit Sermons" in the German city of Wittenberg, reminding citizens to trust God's word rather than violence and thus helping bring to a close the revolutionary stage of the Reformation
1776 Adam Smith publishes the influential economics book "The Wealth of Nations"
1783 USS Alliance under Captain Barry fights and wins last naval battle of US Revolutionary War off Cape Canaveral

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Falmouth Jamaica 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

Moorea Island, Society Islands French Polynesia 08:00 - 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 03-10

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 03-11

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Port-of-Spain, Trinidad eta 03-10

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Melbourne, Victoria Australia eta 03-11

Volendam

Wellington, New Zealand 09:00 - 18:00 

Westerdam

Busan, Korea 09:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

Dalian, China 09:00 - 18:0

• Like 17
  • Thanks 25

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I am jumping on early as I will be in day 2 of my EMDR training. It is an all day training. Rainy and windy Saturday here so I won't be missing anything, 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Saturday Cat | Saturday quotes funny, Saturday quotes, Saturday humor

• Like 31
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte 

Another nice day coming up, sunny and 81

I have never worn a fanny pack but the other days work for me

Not sure about the quote

I would give the Chicken Stroganoff a try

We just about have everything in place in our new house and am finally done with all the address changes

Should have shot my age or better yesterday but finished the round with 2 double bogeys for an 81,ouch

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31

Interesting collection of days - I don't know what to make of Fanny Pack Day, but I don't plan on leaving the house, so I don't need one.

The meal & wine sound good, no idea what the drink is, not been to the destination. 

Important days in history; I am Lutheran and even if I had different affiliation, I would appreciate Martin Luther's effort to bring an end to religious violence. 

House cleaning today - the new Swiffer I ordered arrives this morning and I hope it encourages me to do better at getting rid of the mud & mess from the recent rains 🌧 You all saw the pup in the "puddle" so you can probably imagine what the floors look like 🙄

Neurologist says to see an Ortho about my hip, so I'll ask the shoulder surgeon for a referral when I see him next month. EMG scheduled for Thursday.

Currently 43° headed to semi sunny 59° w/no rain until Thursday; that's not long enough to dry out the backyard but it will help.

Ptayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240309_051133.thumb.jpg.05a0bbd718ac24986914098c845e78fa.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Saturday.  Thanks for the Report.

Lots of rain for us today, maybe some snow flurries tomorrow.

Three interesting days, but I'll pass on Fanny Pack Day.

I like the quote, but it is not me.

The meal sounds good.  I'm not going to comment about the drink name.  I hope the wine is good and not expensive.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good morning friends.  Here it is 60F with some light drizzle.  High will be in the upper 60's with a chance of a shower here and there this afternoon.  Unfortunately this morning we have detected a slight leak above our main bath in the attic.  There is a place where pipes extend from the furnace through the roof and we have had to have the "boot" that seals the roof around the pipes replaced before.  I think the caulking has failed and it needs work again.  More house maintenance! 

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  All I can say is we have some interesting days to recognize, a nice meal, and no comments on drink and wine.  All great days in history too.  Thanks to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Luckily I had time before jumping out of bed to say my prayers.  All my family, friends, those at war and our troops, and many of you here were all included. 🙏  I have a message from Graham @grapau27 to give you all and that is that Sarah's Dad passed away this morning.  Her parents live immediately next door to Graham and they were witness to the ambulance and the hearse arriving.  Graham rang Sarah who then called her Mother who told her the news.  Even though her parents were so cruel to her and the remainder of the family these past 9 years we should all remember Sarah, Sarah's other family members, Graham and Pauline in our prayers. They are all good-hearted individuals who didn't deserve such poor treatment but are all saddened at the news anyway.  🙏

For all who are celebrating something we send our congratulations, especially our cruisers!  Ann @cat shepard great news about the rehab facility and your sister going there soon.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your work in keeping up the lists.  Hope you are doing well today!

The destination today is La Possession, Reunion Island.  This was the port on Aug. 17, 2021.  Here's the link to that date.  I have not been there before.

Hope you all have a very nice Saturday wherever you are.  Keep safe and stay well!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Today’s Care List:

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency surgery, to rehab soon

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with a pinched nerve in the neck

Vict0riann with impending macular degeneration; starting eye vitamins

Cunnorl with hip injury, unable to golf

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK; snow in CA and CAN

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s twins

Mr. Boston’s friend Lauren with aggressive cancer, starting hospice care

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home LAFFNVEGAS!

57redbird in Maui for a 2 week vacation

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Morgan finding a safer place to live

RMLincoln’s DH Richard with a good report from his eye appointment

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Mar 15 to Mar 23) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, with her sister

7 days for Suslor (Zaandam Mar 16 to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal

7 days for RedNeckBob (Celebrity Reflection March 16 to March 24) 8d E. Caribbean, then (Nieuw Statendam March 24 to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean

7 days for Crazy For Cats (Eurodam Mar 16 to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer

Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, 0106 (Nieuw Statendam to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 25

Suck Bang and Blow cocktail:

Ingredients
3/4 ounce bourbon
3/4 ounce Aperol
3/4 ounce Amaro Nonino Quintessentia
3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Steps
Add the bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino and lemon juice into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a coupe glass.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 7.29.38 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 24

44 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte 

Another nice day coming up, sunny and 81

I have never worn a fanny pack but the other days work for me

Not sure about the quote

I would give the Chicken Stroganoff a try

We just about have everything in place in our new house and am finally done with all the address changes

Should have shot my age or better yesterday but finished the round with 2 double bogeys for an 81,ouch

Have a great day and stay well

Just one more address change!  Your Cruise Critic profile shows Punta Gorda so don't forget to make that say beautiful Port Charlotte!

• Like 18

Off to start the morning run of places to visit. Will check back tonight. 

Belle Fiore Winery 2018 Terramisso

I would love to taste this red blend. Elusive. I found a few places that had it in stock. Online prices start at $35.00.

Distributor notes

This Southern Oregon red blend includes 50% Teroldego, 25% Syrah and 25% Montepulciano. On the nose, smoky bacon fat mixes nicely with dark fruit and dashes of baking spice and black pepper. On the palate, flavors of black cherry are balanced with prominent earthy notes, finishing with hints of graphite.

- Reviewed by Gary Hayes 

AVA: Rogue Valley, Oregon
SavorNW Award: Best of Class 2023
Judges Score: 95 Points

• Like 14
  • Thanks 17

Happy Saturday and thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie & Ann for your dedicated contributions.

It’s also National Crab Meat Day (yum 😊) and Dishwasher day.  I think I will celebrate those instead of the others (except Genealogy Day).  Interesting quote.  Chicken Stroganoff sounds tempting.  

image.png.750a9502306c4a4be144032c1312790b.png

I am proud to say that by 3 PM yesterday, Ivan and I could walk down my driveway safely for our walk.  All set until Sunday & Monday’s mess.  I can’t complain - I’m not in poor Newfoundland where they are getting pummelled with blizzards & at least 2 more feet of snow 😱 

IMG_2203.thumb.jpeg.e24c91dbd0594552d28ae614bb73914d.jpeg

Well, in view of what’s coming I’ll head out to pick up a couple of things so Ivan and I are stocked up, then double check the name tags and hit the closet I am culling which has revealed things I didn’t know we had!  I wish I had started it sooner.  The grabber (to help you reach things) that Jose had broke and I ordered a new one which arrived yesterday.  What did I find in the box?  Another grabber.  Sheesh!  

IMG_1606.jpeg.aabc1d0f9fc4dd7faa18c9a526d9be18.jpeg

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor letting us know the sad news of Sarah’s Dad.  My condolences Graham @grapau27 to you, Sarah and your family. 🙏 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

IMG_1665.jpeg.bad7d69d099b5c1720102b9310557024.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Good morning from the Atlantic Ocean on our way to Trinidad tomorrow. I wore a fanny pack when I first started my career to carry my stuff at work. I have never been into genealogy but I know I am Mexican/American Indian on one side and German/Russian on the other. Hey for Vespucci! Cool quote but I am not an artist at all. Pass on the meal, drink, and wine and never been to the port. Love reading the days in history. 

Had a lazy day yesterday with a cake for International Women Day, capped off with dinner at Pinnacle and then a short stint at the Oranje Party. It was the first time for me to see it held by the Lido pool. The roof was open but it was still hot. Also the first time I saw so many people wearing something orange. I stayed my 10 minutes 🤣.

IMG_6455.thumb.jpeg.4092dc6ad4cd8082ebfe57c567fd4484.jpeg

IMG_6459.thumb.jpeg.3a22086fdc2e32c3f6845b4671485219.jpeg

IMG_6461.thumb.jpeg.b719e6806ebfeea439cafb1fde3394b7.jpeg

IMG_6460.thumb.jpeg.5f473f6cca5ef273ac3a58a53affac81.jpeg

IMG_6462.thumb.jpeg.0f9e2eeabcdca162a93bb5bee7fffb2c.jpeg

IMG_6465.thumb.jpeg.86bde23ced5a4cebebc25ce8aa2d0788.jpeg

IMG_6478.thumb.jpeg.a8d0a4bcfc056bfbcd4021eeb3bb2b4d.jpeg

IMG_6472.thumb.jpeg.8232125286924d7e562c1268c3220898.jpeg

IMG_6476.thumb.jpeg.d1bb6b2134a90fd7a736f44975808507.jpeg

IMG_6467.thumb.jpeg.af4727d57be8a0504369bf74bb9b5abe.jpeg

Today is a Mariners luncheon. At yesterday’s Mariners lunch they gave out the medals. This cruise may get me to 100 sea days 😉 but I have to calculate!

I am sorry to hear about @grapau27 Sarah’s Dad passing. My sincere condolences. 

Thoughts for all who need support and cheers for those celebrating. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone from a cool, overcast Boston.  Three nice days to recognize, I find genealogy fascinating.  Are fanny packs still a thing?  Interesting quote that makes sense coming from an artist.  The meal suggestion sounds tasty but I’ll skip the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on the prayer list and for Graham’s Sarah on her loss.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🍾

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just one more address change!  Your Cruise Critic profile shows Punta Gorda so don't forget to make that say beautiful Port Charlotte!

Thanks for the heads up, just fixed it.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  Thanks everyone who got involved with my medical conundrum yesterday.  An interesting discussion about medicine in America. Which as we all know -sucks.  But apparently the Krogers pharmacy was giving me a discount, because they were giving me 90 days at 675. 

When I was first given the drug, I didnt always take it, so I have a months worth in the cupboard still.  But that was at 1 a day, now I am taking 2 a day.  This should last until my next pay day which is the 23rd.  so enough about my problem, but if I didnt work part time, I would really not be able to afford it at all.  I tell people who say they were retired, that I was too, but it didnt work out that well.

The computer says it mostly sunny and 54.  I look out, and it is cloudy!  100%.  Cloudy.

It's weird, three weeks ago I was sleeping until 9, then two weeks ago it was waking up at 8, and this past week, I was wide awake at 7.  The last two days I was up at 6:45. We did have a really big thunderstorm last night that woke me up!  And there was an owl hooting at 7 this morning. But I am not sure what is waking me up earlier each week.  Of course when I was sleeping until 9 I was confused.

They have extended our calling campaign for another week, they have changed who I am calling there is hope for a sale in a week.  

We made an appointment for Tigger for Monday morning at the vet.  We are trying a new vet service as we are so unhappy with the offices we have used for years. New vet, new cat.

Work today, and then meeting up with our friend Debbie at Vietvana for dinner.  I will then be stupid and have the coffee and stay up too late, and watch the F1 race tonight.  

funny-cats-watching-tv.jpg

• Like 29

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily report.  Definitely cooler than yesterday, I may try and get some work done outside.  The weekend agenda is to clean the house before the pet sitter arrives.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I have no idea what’s for dinner.  Yesterday I created the stock perks account and submitted a copy of my shares, definitely not quicker than before.  I’m also debating switching hotels for Friday night, our last visit the free shuttle was too big a hassle.

image.png.cee687a80b703ab9d6a3e75b539c30b4.png

• Like 26
  • Haha 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I had to look up who Mr. Vespucci was, appreciate genealogy and now fanny packs have morphed into cross body packs.  What's old is new again, with a twist, it seems.  I think I live out loud, but I'm not an artist; unfortunately I'm not very creative.

It's warmer again, this morning as we're sitting at -15C (5F), and are hoping for a high of +3 (37), which will help take down some of the mountains of snow we have in the yard. I honestly don't mind the snow, it's just that we didn't need to get a whole winter's worth in two days.  I think Mother Nature was confused.

@grapau27 my sympathies to Sarah and you and Pauline, her family, on the loss of Sarah's father.

Not a lot on the agenda for us today - I have a book I want to finish, and when we were at our neighbour's for coffee this past week, she gave me another to read, but it has to go back to the library on Tuesday, so I need to get into it quickly.  I also want to cut out some pieces of fabric to make more coasters, so we'll see how the day progresses.  Oh, and watching sail-away this afternoon as well.  I guess I will be busy - not active, just busy.

I'm going to give the drink of the day a pass (bourbon), would like to try the wine, and haven't heard of chicken stroganoff, but I'm sure it would be delicious.  Right now there's some ground beef thawing in the fridge that is going to be turned into taco salads for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in pain and in wars.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and cloudy day at the beach

Never liked Fanny paks, still know a few people who use them. Genealogy is interesting. My family tree is quite straight forward, DH family has roots everywhere.

Yesterdays golf tournament was a great success. Everything worked out despite the hiccups in planning. My nephew won. Yeah! I was the designated putter for my team. Happy to say, I made 8 out of 9 putts including a few long ones. 

@kazu Thanks for the kind words yesterday. This hip thing is from years of lifting my DD. It has been awhile since it acted up and seems to be doing better. Going to walk in the pool today and that always helps.

@grapau27  My deepest condolences for Sarah on her Dad's passing. I will keep your whole family in my thoughts and prayers. Only remember the memories that give you comfort.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

A year ago this month while on the Zuiderdam, we stopped at today’s port, La Possession, which is located on Reunion Island, a French overseas territory.  We took an all day excursion that took us into the interior of the island, which has impressive natural features created by long dormant volcanoes.  In addition to seeing magnificent scenery that included numerous waterfalls and steep mountainous terrain, we spent some time in a couple of small villages, Salazie and Hell Bourg, and had lunch in a small hotel with views of the mountains.  Our last stop was at the Roulof Vanilla Plantation, which is being run by the fourth generation of the family that established the plantation.  Reunion is a beautiful island, except for the traffic.

IMG_4842.thumb.jpeg.572d82b74d5b6b7f60b4a16018f98f37.jpeg

IMG_4841.thumb.jpeg.8e105e51b29e85c769f99bcd2e5763a0.jpeg

IMG_4840.thumb.jpeg.333f02105eeafd6027dc2bf5ce4b9ac5.jpeg

IMG_4839.thumb.jpeg.3cd810b90784fd9c913e2d324198975d.jpeg

IMG_4838.thumb.jpeg.c1d213fe10644c4aca636d79c27a84b2.jpeg

IMG_4837.thumb.jpeg.22e5ea3bcead1e8489a28312c12f7921.jpeg

IMG_4836.thumb.jpeg.ee60dbf663a357b0c047178a2680e3ac.jpeg

IMG_4835.thumb.jpeg.adc846035fdbc983bffc829dfcc8d2b3.jpeg

IMG_4834.thumb.jpeg.ee5f419648a7d22ce1b55463bb5afc0d.jpeg

IMG_4833.thumb.jpeg.ce19be7dcc2662adcc9d95e9ff6b2f88.jpeg

IMG_4832.thumb.jpeg.a7ab1fa23e404636373efe5eac709f0e.jpeg

IMG_4831.thumb.jpeg.7ed08438ef168ac011512880cfcd3dd1.jpeg