The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 3rd, 2024

Today is Lumpy Rug Day, National Special-abled Pets Day, and National Two Different Colored Shoes Day

Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Meal Suggestion for today - Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Drink of the Day - Rum Runner
Wine of the Day - Vietti 2019 Lazzarito Nebbiolo (Barolo)
Destination of the Day - Marseille (Provence), France

Today in History:
1937 Margaret Mitchell wins Pulitzer Prize for "Gone With The Wind"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-04

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 05-05

Noordam

Prince Rupert BC, Kaien Island Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Siracusa, Sicily 07:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 05-04

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada depart 18:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930 and 12:30 - 22:00

Zuiderdam

Mindelo, Cape Verde 07:00 - 15:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-06

• Like 16
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  This morning in Pinellas Park, FL it is 74F and will be 90 later with sunny skies.  Yesterday the atmosphere added some dark clouds in late afternoon and we actually got rained on at the airport with thunder/lightning slowing baggage retrieval.  Seems like that is a common occurrence here in Florida though.

Thank you Roy @rafinmd for the maps today and Rich @richwmn for the content.  These past two days, sadly, I have had to change the predicted destination for Oosterdam because when the material for the fleet was researched last year by Rich the ship was going to Haifa and Ashdod, Israel.  A reminder of what has gone on in that region since last October.

Today is Lumpy Rug Day, National Specially-abled Pets Day, and National Two Different Colored Shoes Day.  I'll try to avoid the first and last, and hope all the specially-abled pets enjoy a fine day regardless of their limitations.  An interesting quote by Rowling but I don't know that I completely agree.  Yum, that dessert sounds great!  I don't drink rum or red wine🍷 so more for you.  It was a very good day for Margaret Mitchell.  Thanks today to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for DB, and great nephew Alex's baby boys👶👶, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and our military in the region.  And for all here on the Daily Care list, especially Tana and Terry @smitty34877 and Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk.  So relieved Maurice has a date coming up for his valve replacement and he can then go off the Care list.  Prayers for you all!🙏

Congratulations to the birthday and anniversary people, and to the graduates.🎓🎉🎂  It's that time of year!  And to all the cruisers - may you enjoy smooth seas and following seas.🚢  Thanks again to Vanessa @JazzyV for your hard work for us.  Hope you have a great Friday!

The destination today is Marseille, Provence, France.  We first had that port on May 31, 2021 and last on April 10, 2023.  Yep, we've been there several times but the 2021 photos have disappeared from both posts.  More work for me!  Here are the links for you.

Well, sleep did not come easily last night in a new place.  Unfortunately the light from the lit-up front yard here comes through the curtains and the room is glowing in the dark!  I wore an eye mask I brought and that was uncomfortable.  I sleep in a dark room at home.  And my back is hurting this morning and this straight back chair is killing me!  Not a good start to the day.  Hopefully I do better tonight!  Today we have breakfast with Morgan and hope to see the new apartment.  If she goes to the beach with some of her other visiting family (Dad, sister, etc.) the three of us will not be going since we're not beach people.  We will find something else to do this day.  Hope everyone else has a better start to their morning and a fine Friday!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Today's port is Marseille on the French Riviera, a very popular spot on the Mediterranean cruises.  In fact Marseille was on my first Med cruise a long time ago.  We've been to Marseille in 2008 (Emerald Princess), 2012 (Crown Princess), and 2019 (Emerald again).  The last time there was on our family cruise celebrating our 50th anniversary.  What a fabulous experience that was!

In looking back on our visits to Marseille I see that we've spent a lot of time outside the city of Marseille visiting the countryside of Provence and the little villages.  On our last visit we did see some of Marseille itself.

In 2008 we took of tour of Provence that included Lourmarin.  I remember the typical pale blue shutters on the stone houses.  The following photos are all from 2008.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The castle in Lourmarin and the beautiful countryside surrounding it

A street in Lourmarin, and a look at the flavor of the little town

Next was a drive through Bonnieux  Waiting for someone to get out of our way.

I recall the narrow road along a cliff.  Lovely views from there.

On our way to our next village we passed this bridge called Pont Julien which has stood for nearly two thousand years.  Two people were walking on it in this picture.

Next was Gordes which also on a hillside.  It was really beautiful in person.  I hope these photos do it justice.

This area is known for their stone walls and olive trees, too.  Both are seen here.

We briefly stopped in Cassis where we saw the Chateau de Cassis on top of that hill and some of the marina area.

From there we headed to L'Isle-sur-Sorgue which is known for its waterways and antique shops.

A cute shop, right?  I have to stop and let you rest your eyes a moment.  Then I'll be back with photos from the family visit to Marseille.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from Nieuw Statendam, currently at the northern tip of Bay of Biscay heading towards the English Channel and then Rotterdam.

It is a very pleasant spring morning onboard.

Screenshot_20240503_092153_CruiseMapper.thumb.jpg.83768666dee77b05fa3dd64500f61afb.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

Today’s Care List:

Heartgrove driving to FL today

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s post eye surgery issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with stroke, out of ICU but with issues

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfishh having a good response to the test injection

Ger_77’s DH Maurice with a date for TAVR surgery

Vict0riann’s DD arriving for a 2 week stay

Niagarawine’s DH getting a good cancer checkup

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery, sleeping well

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

2 days for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 25

Posted (edited)

In 2019 on our family cruise stop in Marseille some of us went to Aix-en-Provence and back to Marseille to tour Notre Dame de la Garde.  The remainder went on a boat trip to Calanques National Park where they could swim and go snorkeling.  Then they went to Vieux-Port in Marseille for a little lunch at a restaurant of their choice.

Aix-en-Provence was a lot bigger than I normally like.  There were some nice places there to tour though.

Morgan just before her 17th birthday 

The Catholic Cathedral in Aix-en-Provence didn’t look as nice on the outside as the inside did.

Heading back to Marseille for our tour of the cathedral.  This is the way up so beware if you can't do steps!

Almost there.

The cathedral is at the top of the tallest hill so there are stellar views of Marseille.

And excellent statues outside00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Views inside Notre-Dame de la Garde

Our next stop would be at Vieux-Port or Old Port seen below from the cathedral.

Once at the port we strolled the streets and marina in the hot, hot sun for a while, then stopped at a covered patio and had cold drinks at a cafe.  There's Notre-Dame up on the hill.

The family members who went on the boat tour of the Calanques National Park were able to dip into the water to cool off!

Then they ended up back at the Vieux-Port for lunch.  We did not run into each other there.

DGS Ren at 12 years old.  That's quite a pizza for one kid but you know how boys eat!  Especially when they burn so many calories playing soccer constantly.

I wouldn't have minded being on their tour at all.  Looks like fun!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
spacing
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

It is 50°F and overcast here at the moment.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers and Roy @rafinmd for our daily introductions.

3 interesting days.

Pets with disabilities need our help.

Good quote.

We have been to Marseille France several times on cruises.

I hope everyone is happy and we all have a great day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In 2019 on our family cruise stop in Marseille some of us went to Aix-en-Provence and back to Marseille to tour Notre Dame de la Garde.  The remainder went on a boat trip to Calanques National Park where they could swim and go snorkeling.  Then they went to Vieux-Port in Marseille for a little lunch at a restaurant of their choice.

Aix-en-Provence was a lot bigger than I normally like.  There were some nice places there to tour though.

Morgan just before her 17th birthday 

The Catholic Cathedral in Aix-en-Provence didn’t look as nice on the outside as the inside did.

Heading back to Marseille for our tour of the cathedral.  This is the way up so beware if you can't do steps!

Almost there.

The cathedral is at the top of the tallest hill so there are stellar views of Marseille.

And excellent statues outside00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Views inside Notre-Dame de la Garde

Our next stop would be at Vieux-Port or Old Port seen below from the cathedral.

Once at the port we strolled the streets and marina in the hot, hot sun for a while, then stopped at a covered patio and had cold drinks at a cafe.  There's Notre-Dame up on the hill.

The family members who went on the boat tour of the Calanques National Park were able to dip into the water to cool off!

Then they ended up back at the Vieux-Port for lunch.  We did not run into each other there.

DGS Ren at 12 years old.  That's quite a pizza for one kid but you know how boys eat!  Especially when they burn so many calories playing soccer constantly.

I wouldn't have minded being on their tour at all.  Looks like fun!

Excellent collection of photos Sandi.

There is a shopping centre around 2 miles from the centre with shops and outside restaurants and viewing areas across to the city that we have went to on our last 2 visits.

• Like 21

Rum Runner cocktail:

Like many classic cocktails before it, the Rum Runner is said to have been invented by a bartender simply looking to use up extra ingredients. It’s been claimed to have originated in the early 1970s at the Holiday Isle Tiki Bar (now the Tiki Bar at Postcard Inn), located on Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Bar manager John Elber was allegedly clearing out dead stock to make room for fresh inventory when he improvised the drink by throwing the contents of old liquor bottles into a blender.

Elber named the result—a combination of rum, banana liqueur, blackberry liqueur, grenadine, and tropical fruit juices—the Rum Runner, as a nod to the Florida Keys place in history as an important location in the illegal Prohibition-era alcohol-smuggling trade.
Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® Coconut Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Blackberry Brandy
1 part Pineapple Juice
1 part Orange Juice
Splash Grenadine
Pineapple Wedge

Instructions
Serve over ice in a hurricane glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 6.20.27 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 21

Good morning.  Thanks for the Friday Report.

We've got a rainy day in the forecast so I won't be doing any gardening.  Maybe I'll bake some cookies, or clean out a closet.

Three interesting days.  I have some old rugs, that have become lumpy, I guess this is their day.  Special-abled pets need our help.  I don't wear 2 different coloured shoes, but support those that do.

Interesting quote, not sure I agree.

I love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, it's one of my favourite desserts.  Looking forward to seeing recipes.  I posted my recipe a while ago for another Dailyite.

I'll pass on the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port Sandi, someday, I'll get there.🤞

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  So happy to hear good news about so many facing health challenges.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's another warm day here at 69 degrees this morning, however cooler this afternoon with a high of 89. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!  

IMG_0958.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Another day of sailing on the third largest ocean in the world. Tomorrow we get to go ashore as we visit Port Louis in Mauritius. Then it will be four more days of sea before we leave the ship for three days on a mini safari. When that happens there will be only 45 guest left onboard.

Tonight we try dining under the skies again and one of the dining options is a filet and half a lobster. Entertainment will be the ship orchestra playing Big Band era music and they will be followed by the Other Guys.

Tomorrow’s visit will be mainly for fuel and probably some perishable supplies. We have a ships whirlwind tour of Port Louis as I believe sail away is around 2:00 PM. 
That’s what’s happening in our neighborhood and we wish you all a good weekend. Thanks for those who keep the Daily running and post. Bruce

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

If she goes to the beach with some of her other visiting family (Dad, sister, etc.) the three of us will not be going since we're not beach people.  We will find something else to do this day.

A couple of thoughts.  There's a Victory Ship on display at the Tampa port, and you could also consider the Tampa Bay Automobile Museum if it could meet your interests.

Further afar, my favorite place in Central Florida is Bok Tower Gardens, but it is about an hour and a half away from Tampa.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

71 this AM with a high of 89.

A couple of strange days.

The quote is pretty good.

Carrot Cake is a favorite of mine but it has a lot of calories.
We have been to France and the French Riviera but not to Marseille.

Margaret Mitchell most definitely deserved the Pulitzer Prize for Gone With The Wind, I read the novel in 1963 in High School and did a book report on it, the movie is also great and we have watched it over 20 times. 
We spent a beautiful 4 hours at Englewood Beach yesterday, more people than I expected as some snowbirds are still around.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 27

Someone will have to explain a couple of today's days to me. Pass on the meal & drink, not been to the port (excited to see the pictures).

Today would be my father's 89th birthday  💙  and is DGD 2nd birthday 🎂 🥳

Can anyone tell me what this says? It's the cover of DMIL box of pearls.

20240502_204839.thumb.jpg.c201b01f713a490c4b672457549c0f47.jpg

Currently humid 68° headed to 81° with rain 🌧 tonight. The weather changed while I was getting screenshots, so humidity is either 96% or 98%, but when it's that high, I can't tell the difference - it's just miserably sticky and hard to breathe as humidity messes w/my asthma. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240503_053305.thumb.jpg.df25a53d4921e02bf84a30c5eed13417.jpg

20240503_053058.thumb.jpg.68b0289aa7765db59e5501b9185c9fa7.jpg

20240503_053215.thumb.jpg.a5e826d927acab11bec4bf3d95f0acfa.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Leaving shortly for our two-day drive. Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good cool and sunny morning.

Houdini are a little bit of food and wants to drink water from the sink. He doesn’t seem to be in pain. 🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi. Gee while you & Dennis are in Florida, you might want to consider this…

IMG_2825.jpeg.3e083f328de3393986331e9a459b9a7b.jpeg

And I hope your DD didn’t encounter anyone like this at the airport yesterday. I mean who would do this?

IMG_2802.jpeg.9ef946faf661e79032699e8b9ae8e815.jpeg

Seriously, enjoy your family time. Congratulate Morgan!

Roy thank you for our maps. Another beauty. Yesterday was delightful. Almost hot, but still very dry & windy. We are all on the alert for wildfires. Be safe my fellow Floridians. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I look forward to reading your daily posts. Your days are beginning to be filled with normal activities. 😎

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time! 

IMG_2818.jpeg.b1ae405a830b8fd1c23a61e6c4883444.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg.e36d621afadf4405464c908ecdc2e6f9.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg.4c44955fc3a8e9cf6f09efcbe4615621.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.

Terry, praying for you & Tana.

Annie, praying for you & Chuck. 
Carolyn, praying for Amber, her family & your BFF.

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Maureen, thrilled to read that Richard’s eye is more stable.  Gerry, Debbie described it perfectly - that hot wind we all felt when you posted Maurice’s surgery date was us all letting out a sigh of relief! Debbie so happy that the test injection was successful! Full speed ahead. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Vietti 2019 Lazzarito Nebbiolo (Barolo)

This is one amazing sounding Italian wine. Too bad it is outside of my budget. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $164.99. Heck, a glass would almost outside my budget!

Winemaker Notes

Intense ruby-red colour with garnet hues. The nose is alluring and profound. Notes of hay, cut grass, tobacco, white pepper and wild mint emerge. On the palate, it is robust and potent, with a taut, mineral finish. As is typical of Serralunga, the tannins are stark, sharp and very profound. The sweet persistence of the finish is delightful.
  • 98Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

With fruit from Serralunga d'Alba, the Vietti 2019 Barolo Lazzarito is a historic cornerstone wine of this mighty portfolio. It is also one of the Vietti Barolos that consistently delivers extreme quality and pleasure with each new release. Like the other wines presented here, winemaking is straightforward, with submerged cap fermentations lasting 30 to 35 days (although those times were reduced in 2019 because this vintage was not suited to long maceration times). Serralunga d'Alba always delivers power and richness. There are aromas of dried tobacco leaf, perfumed tea, crushed rose and iron ore. The bouquet is extremely expressive.

• 97Vinous
    The 2019 Barolo Lazzarito continues a trend seen in recent years in which the focus has been more about finesse than raw power. Intense red fruit, iron, dried herbs, chalk, dried rose petal and white pepper all run through this deep, virile Barolo. The power and intensity of Serralunga really come alive on the heady, explosive finish. Bright saline notes linger on the deep, resonant finish. A Barolo of raw, unbridled power, the Lazzarito demands patience. 
  • 96Jeb Dunnuck

Another pale ruby Barolo, the 2019 Barolo Lazzarito is from a 2.5-hectare parcel of the cru and reveals a hint of purple flowers, with a mix of red and blue fruit berries. It has more expansiveness on the palate, with more broadness, although it is not weighted. It offers a light balsamic tone, with rosemary and fresh herbs, and is persistent on the long finish. This will benefit from more time in bottle and drink.

• 94Wine Spectator

An enticing expression of cherry, plum, licorice, earth and spice flavors, this red delivers both poise and power, showing breadth and harmony. Lingers on the finish with plum, spice and mineral notes.

• 94Wine Enthusiast

This is the Barolo we have been looking for! Black cherry, warmed spices, crushed stone and dried herbs flow from the glass. The palate is firm and states its purpose to take some time in the cellar. The core of fruit is present but reticent while the black tea, anise, pepper and mineral edge are present but want more time. 

• 94James Suckling

Orange peel with raspberry, crab apple and violet aromas follow through to a medium body, with sage, lavender and raspberry flavors. Firm and racy tannins. From organically grown grapes. Vegan.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Good Morning! I am very happy that the meal of the day has expanded into side dishes, sauces and desserts.  I look forward to the carrot cake recipe.

National Two Different Colored Shoes Day was created by Dr. Arlene Kaiser. Kaiser created this day to recognize and celebrate human diversity. According to Kaiser, “The simple act of wearing two different colored shoes proclaims your individuality. By taking this 'positive risk,' you can demonstrate your willingness to be different, and show your appreciation for the unique people in your life”.

Google translate is a wonderful feature.  I frequently use it when traveling aboard especially for reading menus. @Haljo1935 Your pearl box was translated on yesterday’s thread by @middlehaitch IMG_0446.thumb.png.bfc300d51be046247968965454408532.png

I thought you might be interested in an excellent Coast Guard rescue video just posted on another thread.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 7

22 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Leaving shortly for our two-day drive. Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Safe travels Jack!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1