Free onboard wifi - it's long overdue

Posted (edited)

With so very many land-based businesses offering free wifi to their customers (example: the hotel you stay in, pre-cruise, does), isn't it about time the cruise industry ceased trying to peddle wifi access as a revenue stream?

Quite apart from what is now an obvious anomaly, if the mainstream cruise companies want to replace the retired boomers, who are now starting to dwindle in numbers, with younger folk who are so dependent on their phones that they sleep with them, then they'd better make wifi etc. as easy to access and as cheap to access as on land. Free wifi would see a sea change in the demographics of cruise passengers.

In terms of technology, we're now at the stage where onboard reliability can be very much better that it has been for decades.

How about it, Big 3?

No personal axe to grind here; I've never used onboard wi-fi - it's supposed to be a get-away vacation and I keep it that way.

But with so many working age people, post-Covid, "working from home" (yeah, right) their need for good, frequent and often lengthy connection is that much more important.

Edited by Canuker

5 minutes ago, Canuker said:

With so very many land-based businesses offering free wifi to their customers (example: the hotel you stay in, pre-cruise, does), isn't it about time the cruise industry ceased trying to peddle wifi access as a revenue stream?

Quite apart from what is now an obvious anomaly, if the mainstream cruise companies want to replace the retired boomers, who are now starting to dwindle in numbers, with younger folk who are so dependent on their phones that they sleep with them, then they'd better make wifi etc. as easy to access and as cheap to access as on land. Free wifi would see a sea change in the demographics of cruise passengers.

In terms of technology, we're now at the stage where onboard reliability can be very much better that it has been for decades.

How about it, Big 3?

No personal axe to grind here; I've never used onboard wi-fi - it's supposed to be a get-away vacation and I keep it that way.

But with so many working age people, post-Covid, "working from home" (yeah, right) their need for good, frequent and often lengthy connection is that much more important.

Why would the cruise line’s want to give up an almost sure-thing revenue stream?  They would have to increase their basic fares to offset that loss of income - and the “Big 3” you mention now base their pricing model on low advertised fares and nickel-diming to pad the bottom line.   If you want included internet you should consider upscale lines which frequently provide free internet. The mass market lines live on low advertised prices and as much on-board spending as they can squeeze out of their passengers —- who, as you note, are folks who need “ good, frequent and often lengthy connection”.  They are as unlikely to give up that income stream as they are to return to free room service.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

NCL includes 150 minutes of wi-fi per cabin on a 7 day cruise. Of course the value of that wi-fi is built into the base fare, and if you want more or unlimited wi-fi you will have to pay extra.

Anyone who thinks any business provides any amenity for "free" does have the foggiest idea of what they're talking about. The cost of any "free" amenity is built into the price of the products or services you buy from the business. The coffee shop on the corner with "free wi-fi' has built the cost of that wi-fi into the price of the cup of coffee you buy.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4

I recall the old days when internet connections in hotels carried a cost.   Those that started to offer free access had a definite competitive advantage attracting business travelers.  Others quickly followed suit.   I suspect if and when lines think it will pay off, they will jump at it.  But they aren't going to make the change unless it is helps the bottom line.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canuker said:

How about it, Big 3?

Two words:

1.Cha

2. CHING!

Easy money for them; not giving that up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We cruise almost exclusively Viking who does include WiFi for everyone.  You are limited to I think two devices per person logged in at a time, but hey...

If the major cruise lines that do not include WiFi now want to include WiFi, they could but they would increase the base cabin price by the WiFi cost per person per day and by the number of occupants in the room.

I don't see this as one that will go away as this is a given that people are going to pay for this.

The majors make their money on the add ons and this is a major and expected add on for the majority of the ship.

9 hours ago, Canuker said:

How about it, Big 3?

You bring up some good, interesting points.  The responses have been interesting also.  I'll put my two cents in and apologize in advance for not acknowledging those who commented earlier with similar notes:

• It's much less expensive to provide Internet access on land than at sea
  • I rely less on Wi-Fi access on land these days with very fast 5G access almost everywhere
  • All cruise lines that I'm aware of DO provide free WiFi access these days - mostly to power their apps.  Some offer very limited access to the Net for free (mostly their own sites).
  • Virgin Voyages provides free Internet on their cruises.  Yes, I know they're small compared to other mainstream lines, but they're part of the scene.
  • Some cruise lines offer packages that include Internet, among other things
  • I'm sure corporate headquarters at all the cruise lines are monitoring Internet use, costs, and revenue closely.  At the point where they think they can make more $$$ by providing Internet access for free to all customers than by doing what they do now, they will make the switch.  It might be different at different cruise lines.
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would the cruise line’s want to give up an almost sure-thing revenue stream?  

Because passengers are getting sick of the low advertised price with tons of nickel and diming. One of the joys of cruising is the all-inclusive pricing. It’s why cruises don’t charge for shows or the MDR. It’s one thing to charge for “splurges” such as a spa treatment or specialty dining. But things that are common everyday items, they should be included. IMO. 

9 minutes ago, wcook said:

Because passengers are getting sick of the low advertised price with tons of nickel and diming. One of the joys of cruising is the all-inclusive pricing. It’s why cruises don’t charge for shows or the MDR. It’s one thing to charge for “splurges” such as a spa treatment or specialty dining. But things that are common everyday items, they should be included. IMO. 

You seem to miss the fact that today’s “all inclusive pricing” on mass market lines includes a lot less than used to be covered in the past — because the only way those lines can offer the tempting prices is by having those tempting prices cover less, and then selling the add-ons.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wcook said:

Actually, they are included if you choose to cruise on premium (or even luxury) cruise lines. 
One of the biggest “aha” experiences a cruiser can have is when they finally use “net daily rate” of a cruise (based on all required and optionally desired amenities) instead of basic cabin costs in determining the “bottom line.”.

That mass market “nickle/diming” adds up quickly (including everything from beverages and internet to air fare). And that’s before you even look at the quality of what you get for your hard earned money.

We learned long ago that true “value” (price AND quality) in cruising has a “sweet spot” for us in the industry’s “premium” segment.

Do the real math folks and you may be pleasantly surprised - particularly when you experience what premium/luxury cruising provides.

As someone who does not want internet or drinks, adding those to the base fare is not an advantage.  If those things are wanted there are more expensive cruise lines that do include them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I certainly understand cruise lines' desire to advertise low passage fares.  I also am OK with a la carte pricing for services that I choose to utilize while on my cruise.  So, I am pretty nonchalant about the idea of "free" internet access.

In my working days, one of the great benefits of flying was that for 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 hours, I was completely free,  I was not obliged to check email.  (Now, airlines are offering in-flight internet access.  Another personal freedom is whittled away.)  When I went on vacation, my PC stayed home.  As important as I wanted to think that I was, so called "emergencies" could be handled with an "I'm on vacation.  If this is important, contact Frank" greeting message on my voice mail and email systems.

I do take my smartphone with me when I cruise.  Every couple of days I check email to see if there is a new release from any of my favorite wineries,  These releases, generally, have a time limit.  If I want to place an order, I may have to do it quickly.  While you can understand the importance, I agree that this is a "want," not a "need."  My wife and I share a 1-device internet access package.  I have no idea what she uses it for.  It works fine.

A lot of hotels do not provide free internet access. Especially the higher cost hotels.

All ships require satellite service to get internet. Take a look at the price of Starlink compared to cable internet and you’ll understand why cruise ships charge for internet access.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Free onboard wifi - it's long overdue

No it's not, nor will it likely happen.  And if it did the cost of the freebee would likely be buried back into the cruise fare, which would then likely result in complaints about the rising cost of cruise fares, and so on and so on.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

Well, we have cars that drive themselves, Dick Tracey wrist watches, airplanes that land themselves, and powerful computers that fit in a pocket.   I suppose satellite internet access could become a common consumer item.  Still, might be hard to get a signal in a steel cabin.  

21 hours ago, wcook said:

Who says passengers are getting sick of this? If that is so why do the cruise lines have no problem selling their cruises? I prefer the low advertised price and then I get to choose what add ons, if any, that I want to pay for. Of course one can total up all of the extras, add that to the cruise fare and then compare that price with a cruise line that includes those items in the fare.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There are already some lines (Oceania, Explora Journeys, Seabourn, MSC Yacht Club, etc) that include Internet (sometimes unlimited and other times with some restrictions) as part of their regular cruise fare.   The reality about the so-called mass market lines is that most have adopted a business model which has basic fares with various add-ons/packages.  Many find this kind of pricing beneficial since it lets them buy the options that best meet their own needs.  

Look at this through the eyes of the cruise line business model.  Internet (mostly provided through Starlink) has certainly improved, but involves an extra expense for the cruise line.  Like any Internet service, the more folks who use the Internet (at the same time) the more bandwidth must be provided by the cruise line.  More bandwidth means more cost.  Not everyone on a cruise, chooses to spend their time on the Internet while some folks are completely addicted to their devices and Internet connection.  Asking the big-time users to pay more helps keep the cost down for other cruisers.  I think the issue for the OP is that they are looking for luxury amenities at a mass market price and this is not going to happen until it is forced by competition.  

Hank

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

"I want it so it should be free" is not the compelling argument you think it is.

No, but when more potential customers are attracted to those that do include it, then competitive pressures become compelling.  I think it will eventually happen, but not for a very long time.  

On 5/12/2024 at 8:37 PM, Canuker said:

How about it, Big 3?

It isn't free and you should know.  They will just up the cruise price to pay for it and those of us who don't care if we have WiFi will end up paying for something else that we do not need and do not want.  The people who feel that they can not live w/o WiFi should pay for it.

DON

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 7:37 PM, Canuker said:

if the mainstream cruise companies want to replace the retired boomers, who are now starting to dwindle in numbers

The peak of the baby boom will hit retirement age this year. This demographic is also the one with the most money to spend, and time to vacation.

Not arguing that it would be great to have some free wifi (altho I really enjoy cruises because I have no excuse but to put down my phone), but I don't think ships are going to suddenly be filled with Gen X youngsters like me. 

On 5/13/2024 at 3:39 PM, ronrythm said:

A lot of hotels do not provide free internet access. Especially the higher cost hotels.

All ships require satellite service to get internet. Take a look at the price of Starlink compared to cable internet and you’ll understand why cruise ships charge for internet access.

I have not run into any hotels or resorts in the last few years that do not have free internet and I have been in a lot. Sometimes we have to join their loyalty program to get it but they have it free, Starlink for ships is less expensive than what they had before. That is why the cruise lines installed Starlink in a few months after it was approved by the regulators. High end cruise lines are including it free. What it probably will take for free internet is one of the mainstream lines to give free internet as a competitive advantage.

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

It isn't free and you should know.  They will just up the cruise price to pay for it and those of us who don't care if we have WiFi will end up paying for something else that we do not need and do not want.  The people who feel that they can not live w/o WiFi should pay for it.

DON

That is a good point, but could it not apply to almost anything included in the fare?  

• Like 1