The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 22nd, 2024

Posted (edited)

IMG_0519.thumb.jpeg.4e3e35a7374c5804b49335fdafc039b4.jpegBefore celebrating International Being You Day (the date has changed to June 22 beginning this year) you may want to do a bit of research on Dain Heer proponent of Access Consciousness who created this day. I will honor Harvey Milk and Biodiversity is important for the health of our planet.

I have an abundance of spinach and love pasta so am looking forward to the recipes.

I have been to San Diego to embark/disembark cruises.  I will be there again in January.  Before the cruise we plan to go to the zoo.  We are trying to decide what to do on our turn around day.  Any advice or suggestions? Currently considering the ferry to Coronado, walk over to the Seaport Village or to the Little Italy Mercado.  Thoughts?

Positive thoughts to all people and animals who need them.  Cheers to those with something to celebrate.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 23

San Diego always brings back good memories. It was the turnaround point of our first cross country road trip. We had planned on meeting our Windsor neighbours in Palm Springs where they were spending a few days with the whole family. We both, independently, decide to visit old town San Diego on the same day. As we were parking our car we hear our names being called across the parking lot. Turn around and there are our neighbours. We still visited them in Palm Springs a few days later. Not sure if we went and bought lottery tickets but we did crack a beer in the parking lot!

Quite hot today, possible afternoon thunderstorms. Our Wednesday group will be in the pool this evening, assuming no storms. 

have a good day everyone.

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone!

It is a windy day here in mid-Michigan.  It sounds like it is raining hard, but it is the wind in the trees.  It is supposed to be a nice day today with temps in the mid 70s.  Last night we drove up to Tustin to watch River's soccer game.  It is kind of a long drive for an hour of watching 7 year olds run back and forth, but the excited look and big hug from Miss River made it all worthwhile.  

My "friend" from the gym/pool is apparently making friends all over.  I'm going to seem like his best friend shortly.  He kicked out a 7 year old for running.  The 7 year old is autistic and his grandmother tried to explain that and said she would work with him on the running, but he was over excited.  This guy said autism was no excuse for not following the rules.  I guess the kid ran into the pool area, just like most kids do.  I would think a warning would have been sufficient since no one was hurt.  Expelling the kid seems kind of drastic.  Meanwhile, I talked to my yoga instructor to get ideas of other places to go and when I told her what was going on at the Community Center, she said to please, please escalate this up the ladder. She knows this guy and feels that he needs more direction from the top.  

Today's wine sounds good.  I like the La Crema Chardonnay.  I haven't tried any other their other wines, but the Chardonnay is a quality product.  We were just in San Diego for our Hawaii cruise, but mostly just saw the shops at Seaport Village.  We liked Crazy Shirts and made a point of going back there when the cruise was over.  Today's drink sounds very refreshing.  I probably wouldn't order it due to the orange juice and the sugars.  

Keeping @ger_77 Gerry and Maurice close in my thoughts as Maurice undergoes his valve replacement surgery.  Also hoping for a good update on @JazzyV Vanessa's BFF post surgery.  @kazu How awful that Ivan was attacked!   I would have reported that as well.  I hope he's better today and not as sensitive to touch.  

Today's meal is a pretty versatile one. If you don't like spinach, you can substitute a vegetable that you do like.  I would leave out the pasta and use riced cauliflower or just chopped cauliflower as a filler.  But, do keep the garlic and lemon!   

Chicken Spinach Skillet

chickenandspinachskilletpasta1.jpg.2c5190d5f85d7c1e906794b2c985eb24.jpg

This next recipe includes some fire roasted tomatoes and I think that would be a great addition to the dish.  More Chicken and Spinach

chickenandspinachskilletpasta2.thumb.jpg.03ab7e9ff8332b2a1c7df68d62b13153.jpg

This one is the non diet version.  It has heavy cream in it and also uses a bit of dijon mustard.  That would give it a nice touch.  Non Diet Chicken and Spinach

chickenandspinachskilletpasta3.thumb.jpg.5b5c1997a2fb9ca1d34af20f70def609.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Good morning. It will be another day in the eighties  here. I took the dogs for a long walk very early before the paving trucks show up in the neighborhood. I found it very interesting to watch the process, especially the nifty machine that rolls down the street eating up the old road. I can even see old cobblestones on some parts of the streets.

Thank you Graham for the explanation of the days @grapau27. I intend to be myself today and most days. The recipe sounds like a winner. We were in San Diego prior to our great Hawaii cruise and loved exploring the beautiful city. DD DH and I visited an old patient of ours who was wheelchair bound and moved out there after his rehab hospital stay. He has been able to manage well as a quadriplegic in San Diego as there is much more accessibility in the infrastructure than the East Coast. 
Today I am making vegetarian chili for our dinner in the crack pot. It already smells great. Tana and I are a bit sleep deprived as we have been up since three.

@JazzyV, I hope BFF is able to return home and that all is well with both of you.

@kazu, I was sorry to hear about the frustrating doctor visit and Ivan’s terrible experience.  I hope he is doing better today. 

Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  If you read my post last night you will know that my life, hours and work changed quite a bit.  But I'm OK, I like selling much more than fundraising.  Its just that I will miss that time during the day to have a nice cooked lunch with my DH, and dinner will be eaten at my desk again.

The kittens now seem to know how to eat food, they are bouncing around every where.  I also learned yesterday how to take a picture with my phone, I really dont want to be tech savvy. But DH was tired of doing it for me, when the boss asks for a screen shot, they want to know the error on the screen, so DH told me how to do it.  

@ger_77Best wishes and get well hugs to Maurice are being sent your way.  I hope that today is successful and that Maurice's health and strength get better each day.

@kazuI hope that a resolution is found for your foot.  OMG! on that dog attacking Ivan.  But a vicious dog probably has an idiot owner, so talking wont help.  I hope Ivan is OK, and if you can file a complaint with the police, that might be helpful in the future.  

845e9f834c4e2795aba1f53f17733c5a.jpg

Yesterday was tea day.  I did not make coffee for the second shift of work, I told myself I would make tea later in my shift.  That didnt work.  I ended up making iced coffee with the last of the coffee in the pot, and when I got done with taking the trash down to the street, walking the dog, eating my dinner, sending the end of day reports, it was 11 pm, and by then while I wanted tea, it was not in the cards.  Guess I will try again today-I did have a sale last night, not a big one, but a sale. So today, I will really consider the tea.

413a9c186c4549bd001ac397ed40fe97--kliban-cat-kitty-cats.jpg

420adc635cccc769a8a1778bff027497.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites, 

I wanted to get my prayers in for Maurice on his surgery today.

Jacqui, what the hell?? You need to get to the bottom of the foot problem. I'm worried for you. I would definitely be reporting Ivan's attackers owner to anyone that that could ticket the bozo.

Sandi, take the cold medicine. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks to our F & B department, Roy's maps, and Graham's explanations of the day. Always a thanks to Rich for the FRD.

Blessings to you.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for the beautiful pictures @StLouisCruisers

Thank you Elizabeth!  Tomorrow the ship will be in Cherbourg, France and I will be on a tour in Normandy called Omaha Beaches.  It will be 8 hours long and I won't be here to post links for folks.  If anyone would like to do that tomorrow the port is Baie-Comeau, Quebec Canada.  The dates for the prior links are Aug. 28, 2022 and Nov. 18, 2023.  They are located on page 306 and page 88 of the HAL pages shown on the front page of the HAL board.  There are a total of 5127 pages of prior posts, so I hope the numbers I've given help someone out some!

I haven't been to Baie-Comeau before but would certainly love to!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I have been to San Diego to embark/disembark cruises.  I will be there again in January.  Before the cruise we plan to go to the zoo.  We are trying to decide what to do on our turn around day.  Any advice or suggestions? Currently considering the ferry to Coronado, walk over to the Seaport Village or to the Little Italy Mercado.  Thoughts?

Positive thoughts to all people and animals who need them.  Cheers to those with something to celebrate.

Tina

San Diego is a wonderful place to visit. I was lucky to guide at least 20 leadership classes at the Naval bases on Coronado, so I got to explore a lot. 

The Hop On - Hop Off is a great way to figure out what else you want spend time doing. The Botanical Garden is superb, and it has an amazing restaurant on its grounds.  

Spend some time walking around Coronado. The Del’s architecture and decor are lovely. Main Street has some love shops displaying the work of local artists. And if you love beaches, the one in front of the Del is gorgeous. 

Be sure to download the app for FRED. It is a free, eco-friendly shared vehicle that will take you anywhere in Central Downtown. The app gives you a map of the area they cover. Evenings can be busy. And so can days when big events are happening, but it is a fun way to get around - for just the cost of a tip. I think max occupancy is 8, though I don’t believe we shared one more than a time or two. 

The Gaslamp & Little Italy areas are fun to explore. Both offer great options for meals. 

The Maritime Museum & the USS Midway are interesting, if you have an interest in those areas.

ok, that is all that comes to mind. 

Enjoy!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Blount cruise from New Orleans to St. Petersburg.  May 22 was a sea day from New Orleans to Biloxi:

dawn522a.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  It's another dreary day here.  We had tornado watches and severe storm warnings yesterday.  We skipped the school concert and stayed home in case something bad was coming...we had nothing here, but we did have high winds later.  The tornado damage in Iowa looks awful this morning...prayers for those people.  

@kazuso sorry to hear about Ivan...so scary for you and him.  Hoping he is well today.  Hoping you can get some answers for your foot soon.  

@ger_77Prayers for your DH, you and his caregivers today.  

I'm off to breakfast with a friend, have a good day.  karen

• Like 23

Good morning from another cloudy day in Central Texas.  It is already 79F with a predicted high of 88F.  The humidity is 98 percent with a dewpoint of 76F.  We also have a flood warning beginning this morning through early Friday morning.  The rain and thunderstorms will start about 3 pm, and there is a risk of high winds, hail and tornados, but that is always a risk with thunderstorms in Texas during the spring.  

All of today's days are worth celebrating.  I always try to be myself.  Harvey Milk was a LGBTQ pioneer, and I wonder how much more he could have accomplished if he'd lived.  Biological diversity is important for the planet's health which is important to our health.

The Helen Rowland quote is amusing, but I'm don't agree with it.

The meal sounds good, but we'll pass.  The drink and wine are worth a try.

We have been to San Diego many times, but mostly to board a ship.  Occasionally, we've had it as a turnaround day or even a port day.  

Johnny Carson's last show in 1992 was a sad day for late night tv.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope all goes well for your DH today, and that he will cover nicely and regain his strength and stamina.  Remember to take care of yourself too.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope both you and BFF had a restful night, and that he will be discharged today.

@grapau27  Graham, I appreciate all the information about the days that you find and share.  Thank you.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels to and from Portland.  I  hope you find what you're looking for.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry the vicious dog attacked Ivan.  I hope he's all right and that the attack did not scare him from walking.  I'm glad you reported the man and his dog.  I also hope the CT scan will give the doctor some answers to what is going on with your foot.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, thank you for the pictures of the beautiful flowers.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope the surgeon is in the office today, and that you get some good news.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels to and from Hilton Head, and I hope your DH's appointment goes well.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I agree.  Please take the cold medicine.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope you follow the advice to report your "friend" to the higher ups at the community center.  He needs an attitude adjustment or to go.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope you and Tana can get some rest this afternoon and that tonight is much better.

@marshhawk  Annie, congratulations on the sale.

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers  I'll post the links tomorrow.  I've already looked up the links for tomorrow and more of the days ahead.  Thanks for the heads up on the days.

439011299_342403402153392_8078991499703931423_n.jpg.8847173fe4dc5d0240677f4cf6d0af5e.jpg

441458528_957781376352461_8127416481474654082_n.jpg.e74199e4f7b6ba9d6f71273de101b9d2.jpg

442417038_958986042898661_3163826743167318165_n.jpg.3335aaf46b9110aad4f5b5b5bd6b8d0d.jpg

443713924_305954929224505_4416260396150152703_n.jpg.bcca96b324f9cd696bccf605ee41f1d5.jpg

444139889_305880642565267_4669879875900657548_n.jpg.1ef19289e9cf7a70e346c8254648131f.jpg

444151780_305909409229057_2362219732711010953_n.jpg.769b7e73a8d804537ee4a5581dc31a3e.jpg

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 9

Posted (edited)

These pictures were from our 11/14-12/12/21 cruise.  All were taken from the Koningsdam either while we were in port, at the sailaway parties or as we sailed down the channel between North Island and the submarine base on the way to Point Loma.

Pictures of the harbor while we were waiting for the new passengers to board.

DSC09351.thumb.JPG.cda7171ddd372c98a9108273e5709d14.JPG

DSC09352.thumb.JPG.c3797ce625cc0e438f9b666c36ee2a92.JPG

DSC09593.thumb.JPG.77e72c1e7f05a92459e9a82f06a3e390.JPG

San Diego skyline as we left the B Street Pier.

DSC09446.thumb.JPG.ad4e9f7a8bdfb3b144df9e36a18da1a0.JPG

North Island

DSC09361.thumb.JPG.f6a56146d6b112d2adf61afe1ca98c2d.JPG

When we sailed on 11/28, it was a sunny day looking toward the San Diego skyline, and the skyline picture above was taken that day.  As we turned to pass between North Island and the bluff leading to Point Loma, a fog bank moved in, then it was clear before we reached the point.  I've never seen anything like it when we've sailed out of San Diego.  

The ferry dock between the area around the sub base and either North Island or downtown.  The leading edge of the fog bank was approaching the area.

DSC09450.thumb.JPG.05f0f733403882448eb79aa85f861427.JPG

The fog bank. We could not see the area where the drydock used to work on submarines was.

DSC09451.thumb.JPG.e3396907e5a70833c822057efca78560.JPG

The backside of the fog bank.  This is the area where I think the submarine in @StLouisCruisersSandi's picture was docked, but at a different angle.

DSC09452.thumb.JPG.220435cb4588d177fcf2e460d43c7bcf.JPG

This last picture is Point Loma and the sunset as we sailed into the Pacific on 11/14.  As you can see, we had an obstructed balcony, and it was almost impossible to take a picture without part of the lifeboat included.

DSC09307.thumb.JPG.7cfa73799b4cf968e43eb62268a3df13.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 8

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I would definitely be reporting Ivan's attackers owner to anyone that that could ticket the bozo.

43 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@kazuI hope that a resolution is found for your foot.  OMG! on that dog attacking Ivan.  But a vicious dog probably has an idiot owner, so talking wont help.  I hope Ivan is OK, and if you can file a complaint with the police, that might be helpful in the future.  

I did report the dog, never fear.  Here it is to the NB SPCA.  They investigate and take any action including police, town or dog seizure.

was in too big of a hurry to post this morning before heading out for my appointment  and neglected to post my thoughts for Maurice and best wishes for his procedure today.  My prayers are with you both Gerry @ger_77 🙏 

• Like 21

This is what I posted on September 17, 2021.

We have been to San Diego many times, and DH lived there in the 1950s for a short time.  The town has really changed and grown since then.  When the DDs were little, we spent a couple of days there in our motorhome, and visited the zoo.  Since then, it has been a cruise port, a turnaround day or we embarked or disembarked.  I thought I had more pictures of the town, but they must be pre-digital.  

In 2009, we drove by the house DH lived in, and it was in the process of being flipped and enlarged.

We were able to wander through it, and they were doing a nice job.  Unfortunately, five years later, the new owners had really junked it up.

IMG_5033.thumb.JPG.dc0f90ba5e5cb539eb6cad66812e61a8.JPG

In 2016, we had a port day while on the Ruby Princess.  We walked down to the Midway and spent quite a bit of time exploring the ship.  Here are just two of the pictures, but it is worth a visit.

DSC04677.thumb.JPG.677b1c50c0d2cea55711a154eb7ef78c.JPG

DSC04686.thumb.JPG.edc419f8c9a6d927e5dd84218856cf4f.JPG

These are from our walk back to the ship.

DSC04688.thumb.JPG.3019c8c637d97744c2cdac6018177d0e.JPG

DSC04689.thumb.JPG.044e5af065b23b0f7bfc2469789e9a71.JPG

The remainder of the pictures are from various sailaways

DSC01797.thumb.JPG.50dc3d9cf713a64c16cae654fcbc4278.JPG

DSC01808.thumb.JPG.4d5d199599532aecd1550adcf640ff98.JPG

A submarine in drydock

DSC00909.thumb.JPG.b2adef02bbaa3b51676f3a5e32c4f671.JPG

Lighthouses and markers on Point Loma

DSC00913.thumb.JPG.73fcc610854a5c575f7e9245f602b794.JPG

DSC00915.thumb.JPG.7dd9ae3cb516acef36f43cfae55aa0b7.JPG

The Del Coronado Hotel, where Some Like It Hot was filmed, even though the moving was set in Florida.  It is pretty grainy as we were several miles off shore.  As we were headed to the Panama Canal.

DSC01813.thumb.JPG.649fa6405815abeb671feb45fae94b27.JPG

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Not sure if I should celebrate being me or not since I’m running out of patience.  If one more person asks me if I have Diabetes I will scream.  LOL.

IMG_2421.jpeg.76f121bbb07d022def074dbab1baf9c4.jpeg

Made the trip (which I dreaded) to the surgeon and he did give me some suggestion for supplements that may help and can’t hurt but he needs the cat scan so has sent an urgent request in.  Pretty much a waste of my time and fear.  I probably wan’t in the best of moods as I was exhausted from the night before.  Ivan was attacked by another dog.  My attempt to talk to the owner was fruitless with his belligerence so I reported him.  the dog is vicious.  Ivan is ok but i was worried since the dog pinned him down right in his sore spot on his back and he didn’t want to be touched as I kept checking for blood.

Another not fun errand today (one of DD DH’s jobs) Seems this week is appointment laden and none of them are things that I look forward to.  Oh well, it is what it is.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues, worries & those that need them. 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2400.jpeg.80c3fc05c446b4b9cc5aca5cae568448.jpeg

Sorry about Ivan being attacked. I haven't discussed it, but I have had to alter my dog walking due to loose dogs, a few of which were not friendly. Walking two is a problem since I can not protect both, so I now walk with a doggie "baby carriage". Little Monty who weighs only 4 1/2 lbs begins the walk and then I put him in the "stroller". Bandit walks until I see loose dogs, or he gets tired... then I pop him in too. So far it has worked fairly well. But it is awkward. We do have leash laws but people seem to think it does not apply to their dogs. I am glad you reported the attack. Poor sweet Ivan.

Susan

• Like 21