21 days on a cruise.

rickbc

Planning a back to back with Celebrity on the Summit with my other half for 21 days. Typically our longest has been about 12. Will we get board? Love cruising but not sure if this will be a good fit or what to expect other than the same entertainment. Anyone out there done extended cruising with some advice based on there experiences?

Cheers...

For me, it's all about the itinerary - what ports & how many sea-days.

I could very easily get bored on a six-day Southampton to NYC.

For others, it's all about the ship.

Care to fill in the cruise details?

JB :)

we have done 32 days on B2B never bored but that is me

We even did the same itinerary & got off in all the ports twice

Depends on what you like

Then menus will probably be the same but unless you try everything each night on the menu I am sure there will be things you can try on the 2nd leg

Enjoy

Well, since you don't bother to say what the itineraries are, whether or not this is just duplicating ports or new itineraries, or even mentioning what the ports are, so that some could opine if those are "once and done" or " good for multiple visits", the only real advice that can be giving is:

MAYBE.

(In other words, details make the difference. If you don't tell us, how can we provide intelligent, informed assistance)

</soapbox off>

OP: Whatever you do when booking extended cruises, check that the ship doesn't repeat main menus at least for 18 days and that it has a self serve laundry and/or ship's laundry specials.

We pretty much no longer go on cruises that are less than three weeks long. An eighteen day one would be okay but only if the start/end ports are different and interesting enough to spend a few days more in each place.

Next cruise (July 2017) will be extended 23 day on Oceania Southampton to Norway Fjords, back to Southampton and then around British Isles/Ireland. Pre-cruise several days in London and post-cruise several days in Dublin.

Get the most from that intercontinental airfare!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

My longest have been 35, 33, 22, and 21....as others have mentioned, is the cruise port intensive or lots of sea days. I don't ever depend on the cruise line for all of my entertainment. Do you have any hobbies that you would enjoy on sea days? Reading, crafts, etc? I usually bring projects with me, especially on cruises with lots of sea days.

I also enjoy my games on my IPad.

For me, it's all about the itinerary - what ports & how many sea-days.

I could very easily get bored on a six-day Southampton to NYC.

For others, it's all about the ship.

Care to fill in the cruise details?

JB :)

And for some it's all about being on the ocean and enjoying being away from it all. I could go days just lounging around watching the waves go by. It really doesn't matter which ship, or which ports. I can be happy on any and anywhere, as long as I get some days floating out in the ocean away from the rest of the world. It's the reason I prefer the older ships which focus more on the seas around it than the newer mega ships which are more like floating amusement parks with hotel facilities attached.

Planning a back to back with Celebrity on the Summit with my other half for 21 days. Typically our longest has been about 12. Will we get board? Love cruising but not sure if this will be a good fit or what to expect other than the same entertainment. Anyone out there done extended cruising with some advice based on there experiences?

Cheers...

Well, we did a 10 night Med cruise B2B with a westbound trans Atlantic (24 nights total). Loved it.

And we've done a 7 night Eastern Caribbean B2B with a 7 night Western Caribbean, and a 4 night Bahamas cruise just before (20 nights altogether with WDW sandwiched in there, too).

Did a 21 night Panama Canal (not a B2B, however).

And we did a B2B Bucharest/Budapest, Budapest/Cologne river cruise (30 nights) a couple of years ago.

We love the long cruises. We try to not do the same itinerary as a B2B, however. Main shows and menus remain the same, however. Individual entertainers may change.

I was bored as hell on my last 10 day...by day 8, I was ready to go home. The "sameness" became annoying to me....maybe I don't need as much "relaxation" as I was getting. No way would I do something over 10 days.

And for some it's all about being on the ocean and enjoying being away from it all. I could go days just lounging around watching the waves go by. It really doesn't matter which ship, or which ports. I can be happy on any and anywhere, as long as I get some days floating out in the ocean away from the rest of the world. It's the reason I prefer the older ships which focus more on the seas around it than the newer mega ships which are more like floating amusement parks with hotel facilities attached.

This pretty much sums up our feelings also. We've done as many as 9 consecutive sea days and, while there were a few times that we got a little restless, we'd do it again for the right itinerary. I was very apprehensive about that one, but about the beginning of Day 3, I seemed to settle into a rhythm - don't know if was the ship's or the sea's rhythm, but I relaxed completely and enjoyed the experience. A lot depends on your personality - how good are you at just relaxing, spending time with your traveling companions, reading or listening to music (earbuds please!), people-watching, sky & ocean watching.

On the other hand, if you're talking about 21 days with almost all of them port days, that no longer appeals to us. It's too tiring and stressful to feel that we have to get off the ship and race around seeing everything that every port has to offer. We've learned to pace ourselves, but it sometimes means having to choose a port to skip for a 'rest day' and then we regret not having seen the port. The ideal itinerary is one that has nicely spaced sea vs. port days.

Have done a 54 night cruise. Loved the variety of ports. Longest consecutive sea days were the trip from Boston to Cobh across the Atlantic. Bored, no I treat it as a resort, late lie in, leisurely breakfast, walk on the deck, swim,lunch, read a book, look at ocean, dinner, show. Good life. I did see some passengers getting a bit stir crazy, depends on individuals.

Three weeks or so has been my longest - but those were on ships I like with good itineraries. The idea of a 14 day back to back pair of identical Caribbean itineraries is not tempting.

We have talked about a world cruise some year in lieu of our current approach of a land stay on St. Maarten in January, a cruise in February, and time on Sanibel, FL in March, but the home stays in between and the variety is still appealing -- so I doubt we will ever do much more than three weeks on any cruise.

The longest we have done, is 15 days and it was not a back to back. I had to be dragged off the ship and yet my hubby was home sick. I think the only reason I would not care for a b2b is, the sames shows, the same menu's and the same itinerary. (if this is the case). I would never be bored, but I would not like the repetition. Would prefer a straight, long cruise or change ships. :cool:

Hello All! Thank you for your feed back. Greatly appreciated. Should have mentioned the itinerary. The sailing dates are with Celebrity Summit leaving December 2nd, 2017 ( Lesser Antilles Caribbean ) followed December 12th, 2017 ( Dutch Antilles). We have done about 18 cruises with various line... Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Costa, and SilverSea but the longest was 12 nights hence the apprehension about doing 21 night B2B.

We're a young at heart 60's couple just enjoying life. She, an active lifestyle and me a bit more laid back with musical/entertainment background. That's a snapshot of who we are.

This topic is as subjective as is food!!

I have done several 30+ day cruises, and have never been ready to get off the ship. I've done as many as 8 sea days in a row, and have never been bored. Give me some good e-books on my Kindle and some challenging Merle Reagle crossword puzzle books, a place to sit where I can smell the sea air and look up now and then at the ocean view, and I am in my happy place. But I also love visiting ports, especially ones that are new for me.

If my travel budget allowed it, I would book a 100+ day world cruise in a heartbeat.

I think, at this point in my life, I wouldn't be happy doing much more than 3 weeks on a cruise. While I enjoy cruising, I also like vacations on land where I have more "say so" in how much time I spend in a particular location, where to eat, etc. I am am not yet retired, but if/when I can take longer trips, I'd probably mix it up with a week or two on land followed by a cruise and then maybe a few more days on land.

These would not be Caribbean cruises -- I get bored in the Caribbean very easily; more than a week and I'm climbing the walls.

Planning a back to back with Celebrity on the Summit with my other half for 21 days. Typically our longest has been about 12. Will we get board? Love cruising but not sure if this will be a good fit or what to expect other than the same entertainment. Anyone out there done extended cruising with some advice based on there experiences? Cheers...

You don't say if it's port intensive or lots of sea days or a blend of the two. We once did a b2b2b totalling 33 days: roundtrip Dover to northern ports, then ta, then western Caribbean. Loved every minute. Never got bored.

We've also done 28 day b2b of ta followed by Panama Canal transit. That was another winner. We never get bored cruising. Ports give us sights to see, seadays give choice of activities/relaxation/socialization.

Cheers...

My longest thus far has been 14 days .If I could I would love to do a 65 day cruise .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

For me, no cruise is too long. I love the sea days with no rushing to be somewhere. Did a three week Caribbean last fall and was never once bored. There is so much to do that if you have seen one show you can easily find other entertainment if it repeats. But each person is different, so you can't go by what others say. But it is surely worth trying just once! Enjoy!