Bad call hal

Umbarger

We are on the 48 day Tales of the south pacific cruise. We are currently in Kona, Hawaii our last stop in Hawaii. HAL did not take us past the Lava flow last night. They decided, unfortunately for us passengers, to take the northerly route from Hilo to Kona rather than go past the lava flow. I can think of no reason the ship should take the northerly route and avoid the lava flow. The Noordam, which is on the way to Australia, went past the lava flow just a couple days ago.

We just got off the Celebrity Solstice cruise of the Hawaiian islands two weeks ago. Not only did the Solstice go by the Lava flow. The captain stopped the ship and turned the ship 360 so everyone was able to see. We stayed an hour at the lava flow. It was awesome and what a thoughtful thing to do for the crew and passengers.

I, and all other passengers I have spoken with, wonder why did HAL skipped a Hawaiian must see? The Lava was flowing; the weather was fine.

I must say people on board are not happy about this. I have seen the lava flow, thanks to Celebrity, so I really don't feel robbed by HAL , however, I feel bad for people who have not seen it before. This makes passengers wonder if HAL cares much about their passengers' enjoyment. It seems like a bad call on HAL's part.

The consensus onboard is that HAL has lost many of us to Celebrity's thoughtfulness. We have a choice when it comes to cruising and we know what line caters to it's passengers. HAL has another chance to be competitive with Celebrity as we leave Kona tonight. I hope HAL treats its passengers to a view of the lava flow.

We are on the 48 day Tales of the south pacific cruise. We are currently in Kona, Hawaii our last stop in Hawaii. HAL did not take us past the Lava flow last night. They decided, unfortunately for us passengers, to take the northerly route from Hilo to Kona rather than go past the lava flow. I can think of no reason the ship should take the northerly route and avoid the lava flow. The Noordam, which is on the way to Australia, went past the lava flow just a couple days ago.

We just got off the Celebrity Solstice cruise of the Hawaiian islands two weeks ago. Not only did the Solstice go by the Lava flow. The captain stopped the ship and turned the ship 360 so everyone was able to see. We stayed an hour at the lava flow. It was awesome and what a thoughtful thing to do for the crew and passengers.

I, and all other passengers I have spoken with, wonder why did HAL skipped a Hawaiian must see? The Lava was flowing; the weather was fine.

I must say people on board are not happy about this. I have seen the lava flow, thanks to Celebrity, so I really don't feel robbed by HAL , however, I feel bad for people who have not seen it before. This makes passengers wonder if HAL cares much about their passengers' enjoyment. It seems like a bad call on HAL's part.

The consensus onboard is that HAL has lost many of us to Celebrity's thoughtfulness. We have a choice when it comes to cruising and we know what line caters to it's passengers. HAL has another chance to be competitive with Celebrity as we leave Kona tonight. I hope HAL treats its passengers to a view of the lava flow.

Which HAL ship were you on?

I would be disappointed too.

Assuming there wasn't a non-obvious technical reason, that's not good.

(Of course, that's an assumption.)

On out last Alaska cruise, the captain didn't spin the ship at the glaciers. So anyone on port with a balcony basically got a glimpse of Margerie as the helm lined up the ship.

And we were very early to get in to port at each port. (We had been planning on catching all of sail in to Skagway. We were up and on deck before the sun ands people Ted to. Entering the Lynn Canal. We found ourselves in the little bay just outside the port- lined up to tie up- long before we were due in.) So we had made the journey in the dark.

In our house we now refer to speeding by scenic destinations as "doing an ****", where **** was that Captain's first name.

Maybe find the Captain and ask him? I wouldn't HAL customer service would have any idea why this happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Customer service at Seattle wouldn't know, but maybe the front desk might. And if OP has one of those "how are we doing" cards, I'd fill that out to complain.

Currently sitting on the porch in Kona looking at the Amsterdam. We thought she pulled up later than most. Sorry you missed the lava flow. On a positive note, it's a beautiful day here and most of the Ironman athletes and spectators from the weekend are either sightseeing or on their way home. It's much quieter in town now!

I have to believe there was some reason the Captain made this decision other then to just piss off some passengers. One of the challenges with cruising is sometimes thing get changed. It may be weather or something mechanical or who knows what but i find it is best to just roll with it.

As the northern route is shorter, it would make sense that this would normally be the preferred route. Unless HAL promotes viewing the lava flow as part of the cruise, I find it difficult to be critical. I'd be disappointed, but not critical.

Oh, I am rolling with it. Having a wonderful cruise. Just got back on the ship from some lovely snorkeling. On the Amsterdam. I will fill out a card and take it to the front desk. Thanks, everyone. It just makes me feel better to vent.

First World Whine :roll eyes:

I'm sure the Captain had a reason. Remember - the cruise does not guarantee anything other than being on the ship. Everything else is subject to change.

Geez, you are on a long cruise, one that most people will never be able to take. Enjoy that you are one of the fortunate ones.

I have to believe there was some reason the Captain made this decision other then to just piss off some passengers. One of the challenges with cruising is sometimes thing get changed. It may be weather or something mechanical or who knows what but i find it is best to just roll with it.

There probably is a good reason for the route he took. But it's good PR to tell passengers why. Most passengers are understanding of the situation if they feel that someone cared enough to give an explanation.

Every time we've missed a port or had port substitutions, we we told why. On QE2 we missed Newport because it was too rough to tender, Syndey because it was too windy to turn without a tug, Cartegena because of "unrest" in Colombia (so we went to Curacao). On Princess, we missed a 1-day call in Bermuda because it was too windy to safely sail through the reef. Every time, we were given an explanation.

Maybe the original route wasn't supposed to take them past the lava flow. Is the route he took shorter? He could say "I know many of you hoped to sail past the lava flow, but it would have taken too long and put us behind schedule."

Sorry to read that some captains are choosing not to go by the lava flow and keeping a ship so that only one side faces a glacier.

People are paying good money for sceneries, etc.

I totally agree-it is such a shame. We have been used to Captains trying to provide the best experience for their passengers.

There probably is a good reason for the route he took. But it's good PR to tell passengers why. Most passengers are understanding of the situation if they feel that someone cared enough to give an explanation.

Every time we've missed a port or had port substitutions, we we told why. On QE2 we missed Newport because it was too rough to tender, Syndey because it was too windy to turn without a tug, Cartegena because of "unrest" in Colombia (so we went to Curacao). On Princess, we missed a 1-day call in Bermuda because it was too windy to safely sail through the reef. Every time, we were given an explanation.

Maybe the original route wasn't supposed to take them past the lava flow. Is the route he took shorter? He could say "I know many of you hoped to sail past the lava flow, but it would have taken too long and put us behind schedule."

I also agree with you-there should be an explanation as to why this happened. This is a long cruise and passengers are paying very good coin so hopefully he will respond why.

Glad you had some good snorkeling.:) It's even better in French Polynesia.

Best snorkeling we've done anywhere was off Moorea, Bora Bora & Rangiroa.

And in case you've never been to Fanning Island, don't miss it!

You will fall in love with the people there (especially the little kids).

If you have been there, you know what I mean, and you don't need me to tell you to go back.

Oh, I'm so envious of everyone on the Amsterdam right now. :D

Post # 9 - someone at Kona mentioning that your ship arrived later than expected might have the explanation. If north route were shorter and the ship needed to make up time, that would be an explanation.

Still, it is unusual that, regardless of how minor, a change of course or other modification would not be explained.

In the words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want."

What is a "let us know card"? Never heard of the this:confused:

That's the card that they put in your stateroom encouraging your input on what you enjoy (or don't enjoy) about your cruise.

And now that I have your attention, Sue, will you start the roll call for Zaandam's Circle Hawaii cruise? I was thinkin' about starting one, but will defer to you. (And I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but they don't have PMs enabled on this board :))

My family hiked out to the lava in Volcano today. According to the park Rangers in Volcano National Park, there is not much lava flowing into the ocean on the surface at the moment.

So, it's possible you didn't really miss anything!

I just called Holland America Customer service. They said too bad soo sad. Captains discretion. Real nice, HAL.

Last HI cruise, we sailed past the lava flow but there was so much steam, the view was nil except a faint glow and the captain got huge complaints about that. Same captain btw. Looks like one cannot win in this situation.