A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

My introduction to NCL was also on the Dawn... after receiving a call for a last-minute cruise a few days prior to sailing. What a great trip that was!

I'm actually booking more NCL cruises now than I have in the past. I like the promos for multiple perks - between UBP and SDP I'm walking off the ship with miniscule onboard charges compared to prior cruises. I also like exploring their new ships and the unique experiences they offer.

But things obviously change, and I can recognize that not everyone can agree with every change that occurs.

I just booked the Dawn out of New Orleans next fall... as I want to see my old favorite after she comes out of dry dock. I honestly suspect that what I paid for this trip compared to the one 7-8 years ago isn't much different with all things considered. In fact, with UBP in particular, it might even be more reasonable. Come join us!

I hear ya!

Unfortunately, all the mainstream cruise lines have adopted the upcharges in dining.

I have to admit on my first NCL cruise, I felt nickel and dimed to death and vowed to never sail with them again.:mad:

However, my Epic cruise was one of our best cruises ever.:D

So here I am, now going to take advantage of the UBP and SDP package.:p

I work for a major airline and some of the fees that are charged are outrageous!:eek:

However, the bottom line is profits.

Good luck to u.

I have also been a regular NCL cruiser and will be departing again in January.

I am concerned that this could be my last NCL trip, but I will go with an open mind.

I also sailed several times with Klaus and he would go out of his way to make you feel special. I dont know how he did that , as many passengers came away with the same feeling.

In any case I will report back --

We applaud change.

If it wasn't for change, we would all be sitting at 10-tops in the main dining room, at fixed times, waiting for every person on the table to finish there appetizer before moving on to an entree. And if your shore excursion runs long, or you stop in the Spa, you don't get to eat in the main dining room because you missed your seating time.

If it wasn't for change, most of us would be in 3rd class steerage just using the ship for transportation and not a fun filled, relaxing vacation.

You can still get your free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, free entertainment, free deck chair. BUT,,, change provides options. You don't have to pay for those options if you don't want.

Upcharge services have been around for a long time. And we appreciate that more and more services are being offered. Don't force those of us who love the options and those of us who are willing to pay for additional services and not live in the past.

Edited by BirdTravels

I see no issues with the changes, as all the fees are for "choice items". If you don't want to pay them, don't use the services, etc. I'd rather choose how I spend my money, then have things included that I don't want.

I'm leaving for the Dawn in 11 days and have another booked and when I get back from the Dawn, I'll book another.

Hope you find a cruise line that best fits your expectations.

I don't understand why his comment was considered rude? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm guessing that he was tired of yet another post complaining about up charges and the changes to NCL.

Actually, there is no complaining in the base note. The base note is simply stating facts: He used to love NCL, he no longer loves them, and he's leaving. He didn't insult anyone nor did he insult NCL.

I don't know that the first reply ("Awesome, one less...") was rude, but, it certainly didn't add any value to the conversation.

To the OP: Where are you going to go? Where do you plan to spend your travel dollars in the future?

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I want to cruise again but probably wont with NCL. For those of you that say the fees are just about choices is a big stretch. To charge for things that were once included is not great but acceptable. When you add it on top of big spikes in cruise fares, increased fees, service fees and reduced service...things add up. Then top it off with endless "free promos" that I don't want but increase the price of the cruise loses my interest. I used to say cruising was a great value. While it still can be a wonderful vacation, there is way better value for vacation dollars. As someone said earlier....NCL wants RCCL prices but Carnival experiences.

Edited by david_sobe

Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I.

My 1st cruise was about 30 years ago on the NCL Sunward 2. I don't recall it being presented as a bargain nor did it include everything at no extra charge, but it was a great value for what you got.

Even back then on the last night of the cruise a sheet of paper with all of our onboard expenses, including drink purchases, was slid under my cabin door and I recall doling out cash tips for the dining and housekeeping staff.

We applaud change.

If it wasn't for change, we would all be sitting at 10-tops in the main dining room, at fixed times, waiting for every person on the table to finish there appetizer before moving on to an entree. And if your shore excursion runs long, or you stop in the Spa, you don't get to eat in the main dining room because you missed your seating time.

If it wasn't for change, most of us would be in 3rd class steerage just using the ship for transportation and not a fun filled, relaxing vacation.

You can still get your free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, free entertainment, free deck chair. BUT,,, change provides options. You don't have to pay for those options if you don't want.

Upcharge services have been around for a long time. And we appreciate that more and more services are being offered. Don't force those of us who love the options and those of us who are willing to pay for additional services and not live in the past.

^This. If wasn't for changes, cruising wouldn't have the many different options and varieties that it does now. Not just NCL, but all cruise lines evolved and changed due to the times & technology, let alone customers tastes and preferences.

It is what it is - at least there are still cruise lines that have ships that carry under 2000 passengers and have upcharges still included in the fare in the MDR. NCL doesn't have what the OP is looking for now, but what it does have seems to attract others who like their options / choices.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Please tell me where all this is free. I expect it may be INCLUDED in my fare but is certainly not free.

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

We took the first trip the Dawn made out of NY. What a great trip and the whole freestyle thing was great. All you say is true. They destroyed the Dawn with the addition of the rooms on the top deck. We still cruise NCL but it really has changed but so have all lines. It's like the airlines, catering to people who want a bottom bottom price while the experence turns to crap.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Why do people feel the need to make such a dramatic exit? Hoping to take others with them?

They like to feel there important. There just another customer who is going to try something different, which happens everyday. Sooner or later they will find out there not as important as they thought and life goes on without them.

People have to make these posts because otherwise no one notices. Every single day countless people take their first cruises on NCL, and every single day countless people take their last cruises on NCL. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da... You're welcome for the needed attention I just gave you.

Remember that they were going to stop people from bring food back to your room...it will reoccur.

OP is correct the days of cruises being a great deal on a vacation is quickly fading.

DITTO here. I started cruising for the "value" it provided. That seems to be disappearing very quickly. This may end up pushing me back to land based weekly vacations using my family "cruiser" versus the "sailing" cruiser

......NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

We have cruised 30+ times over a 12 year timeframe, 8 with NCL, about the same with RCI and the rest across another 10 cruiselines. We consider NCL to be a good value cruiseline and, as Platinum members we get better perks with NCL than RCI for example. We always manage our on-board spend according to our budget and we do not believe NCL are any worse than the other lines for revenue generation. Our one gripe is that drinks are extortionate and seem to be diluted in some cases, but we are not big drinkers...one or two around the pool on a sea day and an evening wine does us, so we live with their drink prices!

I do understand the perspective of the OP, but I believe they will find the cruiselines competing in the same mass market as NCL to be similar.

My reality... my first NCL cruise was on the Dawn 10 years ago. Admittedly, it was a rock-bottom last minute price of $299pp for an inside cabin. I don't recall the specific breakdown, but I believe our onboard charges for 2 passengers was right around $1000 for the week. This would have included the service charge, a couple specialty restaurants, and beverages.

Fast forward to today. I'm booked on the Escape with an inside cabin for $640pp plus two "free" perks - Unlimited beverages and dining at 4 specialty restaurants.

2005 Dawn: 299 + 500 on board spending = $799

2015 Escape: 640 + 94 service charge + 97 UBP + 13 SDP = $844

As I said, this is my reality. I can't believe what a bargain my next cruise is going to be. And I'm not even going to compare the difference in amenities between the Dawn 10 years ago and the Escape today. And yes, I've already paid some additional $$ to take advantage of new options (bayamo upcharge, + brat back), and I have no problem doing so. I'm just glad to have the diverse options available!

To go full circle, I'm also booked on the Dawn next November. $990pp for a mid-ship balcony with UBP and SDP. Again... what a bargain compared to what I paid 10 years ago for a last-minute inside room!

DITTO here. I started cruising for the "value" it provided. That seems to be disappearing very quickly. This may end up pushing me back to land based weekly vacations using my family "cruiser" versus the "sailing" cruiser

Although I enjoy cruising the Caribbean, I prefer all-inclusive resorts. My wife on the other hand prefers cruising so we do one of each every year.

I’m amazed that with so many cruise lines and ships they can sell most of their cabins every week. I’d much rather go to a land based AI and have a balcony room I can actually move around in, not to mention a bathroom that is 4 times the size of a ship’s bathroom. The resorts we have stayed at have multiple swimming pools that make the pool on a ship look like a bathtub.

I don't understand the anger and outrage many feel when someone writes something as an adult that is their opinion that others may not agree with. Some take it so personal if someone says, I think I like another cruise line better than NCL or I don't like all the changes NCL is doing.

The mockery of the response by some is childish and something my 4th grader would do. Sometimes I see YOU WONT BE MISSED or even personal attacks

If threads like this bother you then why are they opened by the same people over and over. Cant we discuss cruising like adults? I did not see anything dramatic , negative or wrong the OP discussed. Its their opinion and their right to do so. I think some need better ways to occupy their time than sit by a computer all day hoping someone will complain about NCL.

Dolphins;

I am Not an NCL Cruiser but I know what you mean. Sad the way the cruise lines are going .

People will pay up charges and such so they will continue to erode the cruise experience ,until we no longer cruise. This is exactly what the cruise lines want new blood. New blood spends more onboard.......

I wish you happy travels where ever they may be !

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I don't understand the anger and outrage many feel when someone writes something as an adult that is their opinion that others may not agree with. Some take it so personal if someone says, I think I like another cruise line better than NCL or I don't like all the changes NCL is doing.

The mockery of the response by some is childish and something my 4th grader would do. Sometimes I see YOU WONT BE MISSED or even personal attacks

If threads like this bother you then why are they opened by the same people over and over. Cant we discuss cruising like adults? I did not see anything dramatic , negative or wrong the OP discussed. Its their opinion and their right to do so. I think some need better ways to occupy their time than sit by a computer all day hoping someone will complain about NCL.

I reread this thread in case I missed something, and I didn't see anyone with anything that would resemble anger or outrage. The closest I saw was the 0P, and I wouldn't even call that anger or outrage. It was just someone that for some reason felt he should notify the world that he wasn't going to cruise this line anymore, just in case somewhere out there in the world there is someone who cares.