"CARRY-ON" What do you use for all your goodies??

mycomputer

Need ideas for carry-on (not for the outfits worn) but for all your goodies/items your wanting to take. Like sodas, wine, door décor, collapsible cooler the little things that OP say you need or to carry??

I was just thinking my clothes suitcase is "checked" but a lot of items they require "in your carry-on". So what do you use?? :)

We only carry on things that we will need the first few hours (ie. before bags are delivered to the cabin) and things of value.

Things like Passports, boarding passes, money, credit cards, cell, kindle, laptop. and of course wine.

We do not carry on soda, door decor, cooler, etc.

Carry-ons is any bag that you don't have to check-in at neither the airport or at cruise terminal.You can you use a backpack, handheld duffel bag, plastic/paper supermarket bag, small shopping cart, etc - whatever holds your belongings, whether it something important like medicine or 3 cases of soda for example, without a problem that's what a carry-on is.

I use 3 carry-ons - one is a purse to hold my medication, testing kit, money, passport, boarding passes. A backpack to hold my toiletries and hair products(hair gets frizzy and dry in hot weather[emoji21] ), finally a 22 inch wheeled weekend duffel bag to hold my clothes and shoes. Reason why my luggage is all carry-ons, is not because of airline fees but because I'm a solo traveler who has to lug her own stuff (its not fun lifting up a heavy 'checked' bag up 3 long flights of stairs...)

There's no really recommend/required carry-on when it comes to cruising (airport is a different story....). Pick what works best for you and your situation. [emoji4]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

If you are planning on international travel, recognize that many smaller airlines (or smaller planes) have more stringent weight size restrictions (as well as smaller overhead storage).

That said, we use Travelpro luggage (if for no other reason than the lifetime guarantee).

For "carry-on," we have their smallest roller bag (approx half the size of an 18-19" roll aboard). In it are meds, electronics (and any true "valuables", travel docs, one change of clothes and essential toiletries.

Carrying water and sodas, etc (even wine -unless it is a hard-to-find-locally "reserve") in checked baggage is "pennywise and pound foolish." Same goes for non-air transport in a small bag when you drive to a port.

All that you should carry with you is what you need to sustain you through a slight travel delay and/or what you do not want to lose or have the expense of replacing if lost.

Hi-

I would recommend using a rolling bag for hand carry because you'll be carting it around quite a bit (especially if you get there before 1, when the rooms are generally ready).

You'll also want to carry on anything breakable (e.g., cameras, computers), because the luggage carriers can be rough with your stuff.

Hope that helps! - Musing About Cruising

I only carry on a purse, as I know I won't be using the pools/slides. In my purse are my travel papers and wallet. I don't carry on pop nor water. I don't want to have to carry around more junk than that on a hot ship during sail away. (At least NCL has a 'coat check' room where you can drop things off, Carnival doesn't offer this.)

Large Camelback for Hubby.. the bladder gets filled with water for ports. room for an umbrella, sunscreen the hats and a jacket plus souvenirs. it fits our two bottles of wine on embarkation

I have a very small bag large enough for sea pass, passport, sunglasses and my chaptsick that I wear on board. to board I usually bring a larger beach bag that holds all our paperwork and my sweater.

since we drive to most ports having a flight approved C/O is not a requirement but if we did I just bring the smaller Camelback

Need ideas for carry-on (not for the outfits worn) but for all your goodies/items your wanting to take. Like sodas, wine, door décor, collapsible cooler the little things that OP say you need or to carry?... I was just thinking my clothes suitcase is "checked" but a lot of items they require "in your carry-on". So what do you use?? :)

Sorry, a couple of your comments have me a bit confused - why are you putting door decorations in your carry-on? Your luggage should arrive to the cabin within a few hours, and some lines make you wait until the cabins are ready (perhaps as late as 1:30 pm) - so we always pack carefully and do not take more than necessary in our carry-on.

And what is "required" to be in your carry-on? The only thing I would definitely put in there and NOT in checked baggage is wine allowance (if permitted by your line). The rest is pretty much common sense (but not required) to me - medications, electronics, expensive jewelry should go in the carry-on.

We don't bring all the crap that many packing lists recommend. We seldom drink a soda, so we will buy one, if we want one. I've never brought bungie cords or duct tape or over-the-door holders, and I've never decorated a hotel door, and I won't be decorating a cabin door!

In my carryon is my make-up, jewelry, and hubby's Rx's....you should always keep anything of value IN YOUR HANDS at all times. Never "check" your electronics, medicines, cash, etc....

You do not need most of the stuff that folks tell you to bring!!!

Oky doky, so I will be slimming down the "carry-on" then, also we have FTTF booked so that will certainly help with anything that we've packed in the checked luggage if I need it soon. Thank you for the great info.

I'm a pack for a week into a carry on type of gal. So I take a 4 wheeled small suitecase with a Vanity sized bag that fits over the handle. Plus my tiny handbag. Which has passports, purse etc in it.

http://www.kipling.com/uk-en/luggage/type/wheeled-luggage/darcey-k15260c7200-999.html

http://www.kipling.com/uk-en/luggage/type/bum-bags-waist-bags/multiple-k1397551100-999.html

http://www.kipling.com/uk-en/luggage/type/beauty-cases/palmbeach-k1386051100-999.html

Need ideas for carry-on (not for the outfits worn) but for all your goodies/items your wanting to take. Like sodas, wine, door décor, collapsible cooler the little things that OP say you need or to carry??

I was just thinking my clothes suitcase is "checked" but a lot of items they require "in your carry-on". So what do you use?? :)

We don't bring on soda, water, wine, collapsible cooler. In more than a dozen cruises never needed those things. Hubby and I each use a backpack. Those hold a change of clothes for each of us, swimsuit, cameras, ipad, jewelry, meds, and a folder of cruise info/receipts.

Any "door decor" is in checked luggage.

In addition to my purse, I have a rather unique piece of carry-on luggage that I always take. It's an old Samsonite "train case", that I've had forever. Some of you may remember these from your mother (or grandmother's) time. While they appear a little clunky, they are really sturdy -- and they fit under an airline seat. They hold a surprising amount of stuff, too -- jewelry, medication, make-up (and other toiletries). Mine has a tray in the top, to keep things organized, and the lid has a large mirror inside. I don't think they sell them in stores anymore, so your best bet would be yard sales, thrift stores, or (of course) e-bay. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

DW and I have wrestled with the "carry-on" problem for over thirty years of extensive cruising and DIY travel. After trying all the usual types of carry-on luggage we finally settled on high quality backpacks. There are a few reasons. Backpacks are soft and will conform to tight spaces (like the overheads on aircraft). The many outside compartments make it easy for us to put certain items within easy reach. They also have compartments for computers. And most important is that once on your back, your hands are free, you do not have to be concerned about forgetting it, and our backpacks hold even more stuff then typical roll-aboard carry-on luggage. And there is another benefit we have noticed. Where some airlines will scrutinize carry-ons for size compliance, nobody seems to pay attention to a backpack.

Hank

If you are planning on international travel, recognize that many smaller airlines (or smaller planes) have more stringent weight size restrictions (as well as smaller overhead storage).

That said, we use Travelpro luggage (if for no other reason than the lifetime guarantee).

For "carry-on," we have their smallest roller bag (approx half the size of an 18-19" roll aboard). In it are meds, electronics (and any true "valuables", travel docs, one change of clothes and essential toiletries.

Carrying water and sodas, etc (even wine -unless it is a hard-to-find-locally "reserve") in checked baggage is "pennywise and pound foolish." Same goes for non-air transport in a small bag when you drive to a port.

All that you should carry with you is what you need to sustain you through a slight travel delay and/or what you do not want to lose or have the expense of replacing if lost.

I don't know if everyone is aware of the new proposed size limits for carry on luggage. At the moment, it's only a proposal, but I wouldn't be surprised if all airlines, both international and domestic, adopt the new proposals. It's going to be a real p.i.t.a. for a lot of travelers. Check out this story:

http://www.news4jax.com/new-guidelines-proposed-for-size-of-carryon-luggage/33512256

Our carry-ons hold a medical bag each -- one for prescription medications and one for over the counter medications.

Also in our carry-ons are our documents (passports stay in my purse), camera equipment, some snack crackers.

Our carry-ons are not large and we have no reason to carry on wine, etc.

As "ole foggies" DW and I tend to overpack and bring lots of clothes (and an entire pharmacy) on our trips (many of which are at least 2 months long). As long time travelers we have never been able to adjust to the newer practice of packing everything in a single carry-on. When we were on a 62 day HAL cruise we became friendly with a single man who was on a 4 months trip (2 months on our ship and 2 months ashore). He told us that he had packed everything he needed in a single carry-on bag. Our DD often has to fly to Europe for business trips (she is in the fashion industry) and even she can usually get all she needs (for business and pleasure) into a single carry-on. Go figure.

Hank

The only things you should have in your carry on are what you would need if the airlines loses your luggage.

I have a Tumi roller bag and a leather backpack (my handbag goes inside). I carry a change of clothes, bathing suit, cover up, makeup, contact lenses, husband's Rx, valuables, jewelry, phone charges, ipad.

Sodas? No. You can put a collapsible cooler in your checked luggage along with door decorations.

Take those packing lists and eliminate 98% of the items. You don't need to redecorate the room, change out area rugs, accessorize the bathroom, install a closet organizer....take one bag that will hold your valuables, travel docs, maybe a change of clothes or swimsuit. Even if it's only for a few hours, you don't want to drag 2 bags and a suitcase around the ship. Keep it simple and easy.

In addition to my purse, I have a rather unique piece of carry-on luggage that I always take. It's an old Samsonite "train case", that I've had forever. Some of you may remember these from your mother (or grandmother's) time. While they appear a little clunky, they are really sturdy -- and they fit under an airline seat. They hold a surprising amount of stuff, too -- jewelry, medication, make-up (and other toiletries). Mine has a tray in the top, to keep things organized, and the lid has a large mirror inside. I don't think they sell them in stores anymore, so your best bet would be yard sales, thrift stores, or (of course) e-bay. :cool:

That takes me back! I remember as a kid seeing my Mom pull out that purple "makeup bag" as we called it and knowing vacation was about to start. That was always the sign that it was real!

It is amazing what comes around. My grandmother's was plaid and it was with her until the day she passed..I suppose she got the latest version in the 50's and it lasted until end of 2000 when she passed. It was hard with this plaid cover. And a young granddaughter's mystery looking inside delight. She had a heavy clear plastic toiletry and pill bag. And small bottle things all went along the sides in elasticized fabric matching the interior holders. She always had a little silver or leather covered plastic bourbon bottle in there..longer trips the leather one with the jigger screw top. LOL:)

Edited by sjn911

• 3 weeks later...
Carry-ons is any bag that you don't have to check-in at neither the airport or at cruise terminal.You can you use a backpack, handheld duffel bag, plastic/paper supermarket bag, small shopping cart, etc - whatever holds your belongings, whether it something important like medicine or 3 cases of soda for example, without a problem that's what a carry-on is.

I use 3 carry-ons - one is a purse to hold my medication, testing kit, money, passport, boarding passes. A backpack to hold my toiletries and hair products(hair gets frizzy and dry in hot weather[emoji21] ), finally a 22 inch wheeled weekend duffel bag to hold my clothes and shoes. Reason why my luggage is all carry-ons, is not because of airline fees but because I'm a solo traveler who has to lug her own stuff (its not fun lifting up a heavy 'checked' bag up 3 long flights of stairs...)

There's no really recommend/required carry-on when it comes to cruising (airport is a different story....). Pick what works best for you and your situation. [emoji4]

I'm a solo traveler who has to lug her own stuff (its not fun lifting up a heavy 'checked' bag up 3 long flights of stairs...)

I will be solo also so thanks for the tip but.........3 flights of stairs?.....I thought ship has elevators?

I'm a solo traveler who has to lug her own stuff (its not fun lifting up a heavy 'checked' bag up 3 long flights of stairs...)

I will be solo also so thanks for the tip but.........3 flights of stairs?.....I thought ship has elevators?

Long flights of stairs can also be on the Street or apartment walkup - The one of 2 subway stations I normally take to head to port has super long stairs with not much of a break in between. It really makes a person reconsider what to take with them without serious injuries!! [emoji33]