Louuuud Noises!!!

JaMjM508

We are first time cruisers and super excited about our cruise!! However... little worried about our cabin placement that I picked. I thought I had picked far enough away from elevators... but lo' and behold.. I picked a cabin right across from elevators!!! We are on deck 8 and towards back of boat and then second elevators open our cabin is right there. I am just worried about noise coming from people getting off and on elevators, especially during the night hours. Clearly we can't change can cabins now, hust ask for honest feedback on what everyone has experienced and any tips!!

Thanks!!

We are first time cruisers and super excited about our cruise!! However... little worried about our cabin placement that I picked. I thought I had picked far enough away from elevators... but lo' and behold.. I picked a cabin right across from elevators!!! We are on deck 8 and towards back of boat and then second elevators open our cabin is right there. I am just worried about noise coming from people getting off and on elevators, especially during the night hours. Clearly we can't change can cabins now, hust ask for honest feedback on what everyone has experienced and any tips!!

Thanks!!

We always choose a cabin as close to the elevator as we can. We have never had a problem with noise.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

If there are still cabins available in the category you picked there should be no problem changing cabins. A quick call to the TA or cruise line and problem solved. You can do a quick mock booking to see what cabins are available in your category and have a list of cabin numbers you want to move to. As far as noise concerns you will probably hear absolutely nothing, there are no cabins that open directly into the elevator vestibule. There are cabins that open into the hallway opening of the elevator waiting area, but even those are not open to the elevators. It would help to know what ship you are on but if you can't change cabins still no worries. happy cruising

Thanks!!

You don't mention which ship you'll be on, or your cabin number. That may be helpful, especially if there are others reading your post that have been on that same ship and in that same area, and can offer you their experiences. Generically speaking, the Aft elevators on most ships aren't quite as busy as the mid or front elevators. You'll probably have far less noise than if you were near the front elevators. However, if you're a light sleeper, and are easily awakened by every little noise, you may want to buy some ear plugs.

ETA: Ahh. I see that you'll be on the Breeze. Unless a group of people are making a late night pizza run to the Pizza Pirate, you should be all right.

As others have pointed out, louuud noises (did I get the number of U's right?) are much more likely to be coming though the walls at the whim of your neighbors rather than through your door based on the location of your cabin. I too am among those who find the advantage of being close to the elevators far outweighing the minimal risk of loud patrons at odd hours. In fact my very unscientific observation is that noise tends to disperse into the lift lobby if your cabin is very near it, while the one time we had far forward cabin (well forward of the elevators) noises tended to echo quite a bit from bouncing off the bulkhead.

The staterooms are in a hallway separated from the elevators and are well insulated. The elevators are very quiet and you will not have any noise issues from them at your location. IMO that is one of the most desirable locations due to the ease of access to get to all the other decks and we try often to locate our stateroom choices as close to their locations as possible. Using RCI as example, many of their higher end suites are located at the central elevator locations - this is not by accident.

As others have said, you run a greater risk of noise from your neighbors than from the elevator location - and that can happen any where on the ship. Relax, you will be fine there.

Thanks!!

The deck plans are very deceptive. The elevators open into their own lobby, and all of the cabins are down separate halls. I would not worry in the least about being in that location.

We have had several cabins near elevators. On our most recent cruise, on HAL's Zuiderdam, our cabin was directly across from the elevator lobby. We could hear the bells occasionally, especially in the daytime and early evening. But once we were in bed, the noise did not bother us. (The noise from the galley above would bother someone who likes to sleep in, but that's not me.)

We always want our cabin to be as close to the elevators as possible. We like our cabin close to the elevator that takes us where we usually will spend the evening after dinner.

Cabins are not right next to the elevators, they don't touch them and you can hear people walking in the hall outside your cabin no matter where it is.

I've been next to elevators before and never heard them. You might want to pack some foam earplugs though, just in case. They will muffle the noise but you'll still be able to hear any emergency alarms. I always travel with ear plugs now because I was once stuck at a hotel with a very noisy bachelor party in the next room. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've heard noises on ships. We've stayed in cabins right by the anchor chain (it's a big chain) and obviously near the crew washing silverware (when we went as cheap as possible). Broken balcony doors whistle all night. Some staterooms vibrate all the time (must have been right over the engine). On the last cruise there were 3 young teens (parents slept together down the hall) hollering and laughing and singing until midnight, when I got the brilliant idea to wham on the wall (it worked!). But I don't think the elevator or the riders (the more sedate crowd) have ever awakened me when we were near them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've heard noises on ships. We've stayed in cabins right by the anchor chain (it's a big chain) and obviously near the crew washing silverware(when we went as cheap as possible). Broken balcony doors whistle all night. Some staterooms vibrate all the time (must have been right over the engine). On the last cruise there were 3 young teens (parents slept together down the hall) hollering and laughing and singing until midnight, when I got the brilliant idea to wham on the wall (it worked!). But I don't think the elevator or the riders (the more sedate crowd) have ever awakened me when we were near them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But the only time you would hear the anchor move would be during the morning at tender ports where the ship does not dock as that is the only time they would be used. :D

We've had a cabin right next to the forward elevators and didn't have a problem with noise. That said, bring ear plugs in case you do have a noisy neighbor. In my opinion they are a must-bring for any vacation. You just never know what might try to interrupt your restful sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app