TA says "Hump Verandas Not Bigger." What would you do?

Shellifino

My husband and I typically sail in AQ cabins with standard verandas, so I don't have any direct experience with this.

I'm getting ready to book two regular veranda cabins on the Sillhouette for a family vacation and the TA (recommended by a friend) insists that he's been on all those balconies and they are indiscernable in size from regular balconies. Everything I've read contradicts this.

My questions - Is this TA speaking accurately?

And I guess more importantly, if he's not, should I bother booking with him?

Thanks,

Michelle

My husband and I typically sail in AQ cabins with standard verandas, so I don't have any direct experience with this.

I'm getting ready to book two regular veranda cabins on the Sillhouette for a family vacation and the TA (recommended by a friend) insists that he's been on all those balconies and they are indiscernable in size from regular balconies. Everything I've read contradicts this.

Thanks,

Michelle

The 1A's on the SIDEs of the humps are definitely bigger. The 4 angled cabins leading out to the hump are 2-3x bigger balconies then the standard ones. Once you get to the hump itself I don't think they're any bigger.

Thanks,

Michelle

The cabins actual on the hump have normal size balconies. The Cabrini on the slant have oversize balconies look at a deck plan for appropriate cabin numbers

I appreciate that distinction. Perhaps I wasn't 100% clear with him, because I didn't say "angle." I expressed interest in two of the larger hump balconies, like 7211.

His reply just surprised me, in its certainty and that he didn't understand what I was asking for.

Your TA is technically right that the balconies ON the hump are normal sized -- but needs to do more research before acting so certain. [As Will Rogers said, "It ain't what a man don't know that makes him a fool -- it's what he does know that ain't so!"] The 1st and 3rd off the hump (fore and aft) have the super-large balconies; the 2nd and 4th are just extra-large! They are great because you have a choice of sun or shade most of the time. BTW if the only cabins available are ON the hump, I would still take them because you are out at the perimeter of the ship rather than recessed in over the lifeboats.

I've been in most of the cabins on the hump and can tell you that the balconies are indeed larger than the non hump balconies.They go from a bit larger to significantly larger. The balconies on the angles are also larger than the standard balcony. The cabins however are the same size as other balcony cabins. I would find a TA who knows the Celebrity product.

A savvy, well-cruised TA might have a good working knowledge of the different-sized balconies -- but, most do not. Neither do the shore-side folks who you book directly with, at X. I've even run into Future Cruise Consultants, who were working on-board Millie-Class ships, who did not know what a "Sweet Sixteen" balcony was. Basically, these folks are all working from the standard deck plans -- which do not generally show larger balconies.

Cabins on the angle of the "hump" have bigger balconies.

I have sailed in 1610 ( AQ1)- very large balcony,1552 (AQ1)- large balcony 6210 ( 2D) - large balcony, 6240 ( 2C) large balcony.

Edited by ISABELLA

The answer to your question depends on whether or not you and your TA are really talking about the same verandas.

If you are talking about the hump cabin verandas, those are regular size.

If you are talking about the slant cabin verandas, those are deeper because the cabins themselves are positioned inward, set further back away from the railing than the cabins on the hump.

The cabins positioned furthest inward away from the railing are the ones with the deepest balconies.

Edited by fleckle

I suspect there may be some confusion here with the original inquiry. Some people think there is a difference with Aqua Class cabins. The cabins and balconies have the same square footage as other Veranda cabins. The balconies of the hump cabins are noticeably bigger than others.

Most TA's, and the folks at the Celebrity call center are going by their "cheat sheets" which do NOT differentiate between specific cabins. The deck plans, while not "to scale" are pretty representative of what you'll get. You should NEVER, EVER book without the deck plans in front of you!

Let me add a bit more background... I've read up on the spreadsheets on CC, I have my subscription to a site that features Cruise (ship) Deck Plans and I typically research and book my own trips. I'm not mistaken thinking about AQ cabins. I'm aware that veranda cabins themselves are for the most part the same size. Typically it's just DH and I, traveling with other couples. This time, we're taking two sons, a daughter-in-law, and our granddaughter. It's a bit more complex, and I thought it would be easier to work with TA, explain what I was looking for, and have them find it for me.

I emailed my info, looking for two triples, adjoining if possible, in the regular veranda category. He let me know there are no adjoining triples, so there went my plan of opening up the balcony divider. So at that point, knowing I could have as many as six people on our balcony from time to time, I started looking to see what angled cabins were still available. Many still are, so I emailed him about them. And that's when I got back the response that all the balconies along the bump-out are the same size and Celebrity doesn't recognize any as larger.

Never having seen one in-person, and without seeing pictures on that other site or specific info in the spreadsheet here, I thought I'd ask the extremely knowledgeable folks here.

I truly appreciate the answers I've received. I've decided to either book this myself or to keep looking for a TA. The last few I've tried have been less knowledgeable about the product than I am, and I find that disheartening.

If anyone has a recommendation they'd like to share, my email address is my username at gmail.

Thanks again!

Please remember, the TA said 'indiscernible' that is to them. Take a look at the layout at X's website and determine if it is discernible to you. Hump balconies are usually known as being larger than other 'regular' balconies, as in my experience.

Do a search here on CC, there are photos of various balconies as well.

Maybe they have depth perception challenges, yet I do not think that the overall dimensions may be too far off from one to another, the regular verandas are possibly wider but the humps are definitely deeper..

bon voyage

I believe again there may be a miscommunication with your TA. He is technically correct that there are no 3 connecting cabins - meaning a door between the interior of the rooms. On Celebrity deck plans you can find these with a dash (-) on the wall. There are only 2 cabin connecting.

On the other hand it you get 3 cabins that are adjacent to each other you should be able to have you room attendant have the partitions between the cabins opened to connect between the 3 cabins on the verandah's.

If I misunderstood and you are looking for 2 Cabins with 3 people in each cabin. I would shop on a sight other than Celebrity. All the airline sites under cruises show all the cabins on the ship that are available instead of the "Best" 5. You can look for yourself by cabin type and look for the rooms with a Dash on the wall for connecting cabins. As above most cabins the stateroom attendant can have the partition opened up between the two Verandas and you can run back and forth via the Veranda.

I think I might call Captain's Club and explain what you would like to do and see what they find for you. You can then transfer it to your agent after you have it worked out.

Some of the Captain's Club Agents are truly amazing. If you don't get one - hang up and try again.

Also as you have seen. The members of CC are incredible and always willing to help out.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Iain

Sunset Verandahs at the stern of the ship are often described on reviews as larger than in standard verandah cabins but these are usually in heavy demand.

Also the comment by Jim below is correct that the cabin attendant will open the dividers if you have a party in the adjacent two cabins despite absence of a connecting door inside the cabin..........your TA provided the correct answer to the wrong question

The hump verandahs and the ones forward or back of the hump have one major advantage over most standard verandahs.............absence of any lifeboats in the downward view to the water. Minor if you are on a higher deck in any cabin but major difference on the lower decks

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Let me add a bit more background... I've read up on the spreadsheets on CC, I have my subscription to a site that features Cruise (ship) Deck Plans and I typically research and book my own trips. I'm not mistaken thinking about AQ cabins. I'm aware that veranda cabins themselves are for the most part the same size. Typically it's just DH and I, traveling with other couples. This time, we're taking two sons, a daughter-in-law, and our granddaughter. It's a bit more complex, and I thought it would be easier to work with TA, explain what I was looking for, and have them find it for me.

I emailed my info, looking for two triples, adjoining if possible, in the regular veranda category. He let me know there are no adjoining triples, so there went my plan of opening up the balcony divider. So at that point, knowing I could have as many as six people on our balcony from time to time, I started looking to see what angled cabins were still available. Many still are, so I emailed him about them. And that's when I got back the response that all the balconies along the bump-out are the same size and Celebrity doesn't recognize any as larger.

Never having seen one in-person, and without seeing pictures on that other site or specific info in the spreadsheet here, I thought I'd ask the extremely knowledgeable folks here.

I truly appreciate the answers I've received. I've decided to either book this myself or to keep looking for a TA. The last few I've tried have been less knowledgeable about the product than I am, and I find that disheartening.

If anyone has a recommendation they'd like to share, my email address is my username at gmail.

Thanks again!

I'd kick this TA to the curb and book on your own. We've had as many as 3 adjoining 1A cabins on the slant of the hump and had all the dividers removed. I guarantee you those balconies are much bigger. The first and third cabins going away from the hump (in either direction) have the largest balconies. The second and fourth also have larger balconies. With 6 people and if you're traveling 3 to a stateroom, you will appreciate the extra large balcony. You can move the chairs back and forth--we've had some nice cocktail parties on the biggest one.

As an example, on deck 7 of the Eclipse, 7264, 7262, 7260, and 7258 are all on the slant of the hump. 7264 has a convertible sofa bed and a drop down upper berth, so it can easily handle 3 people. Unfortunately, it's neighbor does not. But the next one, 7260 has a convertible sofa bed so it will hold 3 people. Both 7264 and 7260 have the largest balconies. You could all gather on either one, but you'd have to go out in the hall and in through the other cabin's door. And chairs would be an issue since you can't slide them back and forth.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

He is technically correct that there are no 3 connecting cabins - meaning a door between the interior of the rooms. On Celebrity deck plans you can find these with a dash (-) on the wall. There are only 2 cabin connecting.

This is my original request: "I'm looking for two cabins for six passengers, preferably adjoining veranda cabins." I gave ages and captains club numbers, etc.

By connecting triples, he meant two cabins each accommodating three passengers, next to one another. He said all triples are separated by at least one double (a cabin that only accommodates two passengers).

Booking AQ is so much easier. Two people, pick a cabin, show up at the port, eat, drink, have fun.

I'm checking the airline cruise sites now. Those are super helpful, being able to see all availability.

Thanks,

Michelle

For anything cruise related I would trust the answers from the CC community!

With 6 people and if you're traveling 3 to a stateroom, you will appreciate the extra large balcony. You can move the chairs back and forth--we've had some nice cocktail parties on the biggest one.

Last fall we had three balconies' dividers open on Reflection -- it was great. We'd have our own sailaway cocktail hour with ourselves and friends out there. It's one of my favorite things, and makes me sad I can't seem to do it this trip.

We opened balcony dividers between triple-occupancy cabins on the Caribbean Princess back in 2007, so I didn't expect it to be this difficult.

Edited by Shellifino