Does Roll Call Activity Influence Your Choice of a Cruise?

mlbcruiser

Just curious. Does the lack of roll call activity ever influence your choice of a cruise? Have you ever switched cruises because there is another date or similar cruise that is much more active? Also, have you ever switched because the roll call has TOO many posters? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

While it's common for a roll call to pick up shortly before the date of the cruise, when the cruise is a "biggie", last min. bookings/roll call additions are often not so numerous.

I can't think of one single reason I would let a bunch of strangers influence when I take vacation. I'm a grown up. If I don't want to spend time with other people, I don't. If I meet someone I enjoy then that is a bonus. Generally most people just meet at the M&G. Why would you ever let one hour of your life influence when and where you take vacation?

No, my choice of itinerary, ship and price tag for it all influence my vacation decision more than something odd-number of people at a roll call. Heck, they don't even affect my choices much on the CC forums anymore - Negative comments about a cruise line of how bad it it and the actual experience was way more enjoyable than expected.

Of course not.

Some ships have 5000 passengers aboard. If there is no one I like in the roll call, or if it is abandoned, I'm sure I can find someone on the ship that is good for conversation.

If worse come to worse, I could always hang out with the family who are sharing my cabin. :D

No, apart from the possibility of joining a privately organised shore excursion, I read the roll call for amusement only.

One roll call on the NCL forum is 114 pages long and when you read the list of activities they have organised I'm thinking some of these people will need another holiday just to have a rest from running here, there and everywhere!! They seem to have even roped in some of the Senior Officers to join them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for joining in, but there has to be a point where enough is enough.

The roll call activity will influence whether I go to the Meet & Mingle or not. If most of the people on the roll call sound fun, I'll definitely go, but if they don't sound compatible, I won't. We've met some really great people at Meet & Mingle parties.

Just curious. Does the lack of roll call activity ever influence your choice of a cruise? Have you ever switched cruises because there is another date or similar cruise that is much more active? Also, have you ever switched because the roll call has TOO many posters? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

While it's common for a roll call to pick up shortly before the date of the cruise, when the cruise is a "biggie", last min. bookings/roll call additions are often not so numerous.

We haven't bothered with a Roll Call in years. I don't even bother reading them anymore.

We are not interested in games, gift exchanges, cabin crawls, etc.

I might check into a roll call (or two) while in the process of deciding which of a couple of similar itineraries I am considering - but simply out of curiosity about the particular ship/line. But, the roll call plays no part in my decision: which is based upon the precise itinerary, the date, the ship, and finally (in that order of priority) the price. Once booked, it is interesting to find out about shipmates, share thoughts about ports and, possibly, arrange shared transfers/tours.

Typically, a two week or longer T/A with a number of ports before the crossing, and with a number of people spending several days pre-boarding in the country of departure will have much more conversing than a one week, non-stop, Cunard T/A --- but neither determines the choice.

Excursions

AlBeeZyy

Yesterday 04:02 PM

by cdavid46 Go to last post

5 924

I wouldn't be influenced by the roll call because as others have said, I look at the roll call after I have booked.

But...I have followed other roll calls because the one for my particular sailing date was dead and the other had people talking about so many great ideas. I did tell the people on both roll calls what I was doing and why. I know that a lot of people who subscribe to this web site would not consider joining the roll call. I understand it's a personal choice. For me it's (usually) fun and informative, there is no commitment so I would encourage people to give it a try.

Happy sailing

It doesn't influence me at all......I pick a cruise because of what the ship offers more than the passengers. I join the roll call because it might help me exchange information on the cruise or the ports that might be helpful or interesting, but I don't expect or want it to provide a social life, either before or during a cruise.

No. I check after booking to see what excursions, etc., others are taking and I've signed up for the Meet & Mingle, just to help them reach the required number, letting them know that we probably won't make it to the meet. Never has occurred to me that the cruise would be more or less enjoyable based on the number of people on a roll call.

One roll call on the NCL forum is 114 pages long and when you read the list of activities they have organised I'm thinking some of these people will need another holiday just to have a rest from running here, there and everywhere!!

LOL -- I think I can top that! ;) Our Celebrity 2017 Mardi Gras thread is already up to 154 pages! Nearly two years away, and the ship is almost sold out. :eek: We already have 400 folks on a roll-call where we won't even be able to sign up for the Connections Party for another 10 months! They're organizing shore activities that can't be booked for another year! There are wait-lists for things that I haven't even figured out yet! :D

But, that being said, they are a great bunch of folks, and I think we're going to all have a great time in the Big Easy! :cool:

I join the roll call AFTER I book my cruise.

It is great place to find out more information about precruise items, ports of call, private tours, and finding out if there are large groups on board, any sale prices before final payment etc. I have organized private tours and joined other ones from the roll call.

I do attend the M & G and have meet some wonderful folks from all over the world while on my cruise.

But then again I am a very outgoing person and love meeting new people.