This is either really funny or kinda sad...

Swells1

It was many years ago but I have once seen something interesting, or maybe sad, on TV.

They asked people out on the street in an american city if they could point out USA on the map and some americans couldn't. I remember one who pointed somewhere in Sibiria!

Maybe it was a joke. I hope so!

Not a big surprise. We once shared a dinner table with a family from Florida.

We were at a themed restaurant in Orlando and while discussing where we were from, I commented we were located north of Grand Forks, North Dakota.

They didn't have a clue where North Dakota was.:confused:

The lack of geographical knowledge among many people is rather sad....

I believe that children that are fortunate enough to go on cruises, probably develop a much better knowledge of it, than their contemporaries, especially with a little encouragement from their parents. Also, those of us who enjoy playing trivia on board, probably learn a few tidbits of geography, as do those of us who regularly watch "Jeopardy" on television.:)

Sounds more like Geology than Geography. :confused:

Nope - the class was deffo called Geography!

It was about 40 years ago mind you. But that knowledge of tectonic plates and what igneous/sedimentary rock is has stayed with me forever! Pinpointing places on maps is something that I have learned through experience.

Maybe we did learn about different places and cultures, and my interest wasn't there? When you are 11 or 12 you never think one day you might be inside a glacier or standing on that same tectonic plate that your teacher is droning on about, so you kind of switch off. Maybe it's only people who are lucky enough to travel that bother to find out about the world?

History was my subject!

I was sitting in a New York airport one day and overheard 3 older ladies talking. One said “What ever happened to Sue?”. One of the other ladies responded “She moved way out west somewhere, Ohio I think”.

Don

We are constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge that some people display of their own country, adjoining countries, and others around world. We find it astounding. It leads us to wonder what is taught in elementary and secondary schools.

I can still remember filling out blank sheets with the names of continents, Then it was countries, Then capital cities. Then it was primary products produced in those countries. All through elementary and secondary. We have met people who do not even know the geography of their own country. It saddens us.

We find that in general Europeans, Asians, and Australians much more in tune and aware of geography. Especially the younger generations.

So, I returned from my western Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago, and my co-worker, Bill, just came back to work this morning after his eastern itinerary. We were comparing notes when a third co-worker, Karen, joined the conversation.

Bill asked me what ports we visited.

I responded, "Two stops in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, and.....Oh! Grand Cayman"

Karen gave me a funny look. "Did you say you went to the Grand Canyon?"

I laughed and told her no, that would have been tricky.

"Yeah, I didn't think you went to Canada."

In 2008 I cruised to Alaska .I went to my local bank for Travelers checks . I had to get them from the branch Vice President . She asked where I was traveling to and when I replied she said she always wanted to go to the Country of Alaska.

Yeah, we teach those subjects but I'm going to let you in on a little secret, some students just aren't very bright. It's usually hereditary [emoji849]

Not bright or not interested. I had almost zero interest in school and only did well in those areas where I had a natural inclination. I did OK in English, not so much in math. And I barely remember history or geography.

That has changed for the good and these days a lot of people think I have a higher degree of education than I actually do. I will look up everything I hear or read to find out the who, what, where and whens.

So many people I know, regardless of their ages or education, have no interest in anything they don't hear or see on TV or social media.

Yes, that is very sad.

Here are a few examples of the general lack of knowledge I've encountered when people hear I was born and raised in Hawaii -

How did you learn to speak English?

What language do they speak over there?

How tall are the trees that pineapples grow on?

and (drum roll) does Hawaii accept American dollars?

:o:eek::rolleyes::(

I don't recall any specific geography lessons in elementary school and later on, we only learned geography when it was associated with some specific history.

HOWEVER, I come from a traveling family and one that thinks geography is important. From an early age I remember having a puzzle of the US states -- my dad would make me name each state before putting it into place. I also always had a globe on my desk in my room and was encouraged to look up places on it when I read about them or when my parents (and later our family) traveled there.

I remember being somewhat impressed when my son was bringing home maps of the continents and was required to memorize the country names. We spent a long time together learning Africa (about which I was probably the least knowledgeable). However, if you were to ask him now, he'd probably not remember what he learned then.

I wonder how many people think you need a passport to travel to New Mexico.?

On a slightly related but slightly different tack, I also wonder how many younger people are capable of reading a map since they have Google Maps on their cell phones that gives them detailed directions.

DON

I remember a few years ago my son laughingly saying his girlfriend thought there were 52 states in the US.

I went to work and told the people there. Most of them agreed with the girlfriend, thinking there were 52 states.

The next day my clerk came in to tell me that there were, indeed, 52 states. She and her boyfriend looked at a map and counted 52!

I remember a few years ago my son laughingly saying his girlfriend thought there were 52 states in the US.

I went to work and told the people there. Most of them agreed with the girlfriend, thinking there were 52 states.

The next day my clerk came in to tell me that there were, indeed, 52 states. She and her boyfriend looked at a map and counted 52!

*scratching my head*

Perhaps math should be re-added to the syllabus along with geography...??

Could they name them all?

Did you try to convince them that the sun rose in the west because it was south of the equator. It probably would have worked.

Another indication of geographic dumbness. We did a cruise in Antarctica including landings. When we got back, some people asked us if we saw any Polar Bears. We told them that they only had South Polar Bears in Antarctica. Some people believed us.

DON

Ha Ha!

You could tell that to 75% of my friends and they'd believe you.

It's embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums