OK, I know it's a petty gripe, but...

Mr DK

Just returned from late seating traditional dining on the Caribbean Princess, and for the first time in 32 Princess cruises, there was no parade of the Baked Alaska. Yeah, I know it's pretty corny and all that, but it's been a tradition ever since we stated cruising, on every cruise line, 30 some years ago. Apparently it was done for early seating, but, according to our head waiter, for reasons unknown the chef and Maitre'd decided late seating was unworthy. Just a rant, but disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're always late traditional (except for one cruise when we didn't clear the waitlist) and I don't remember the last time I've seen a Baked Alaska parade. I know we've had them on Carnival, but can't think we've had them on Princess...at least not the last few cruises. Baked Alaska is usually on the menu at least once during the cruises, though.

We had it on our last two cruises (last fall and earlier this year) but I kind of dread it. All the napkin waving and whatnot is not my style. I understand that many others enjoy it (as well as the Baked Alaska) but I don't care for it (or the Baked Alaska).

Still, just because it isn't "my thing" doesn't make me unsympathetic to others who may really look forward to the ceremony and I certainly wouldn't want it discontinued just for the folks like me. Hopefully it will continue on future cruise you are on so you can enjoy it as you have in the past. It certainly won't have an adverse effect on my cruise experience one way or the other but, since it seems to enhance your cruise experience, I say it should continue. We only started cruising in 2011 but, from reading myriad posts here on cruise critic, it seems that many have experienced an "eroded" cruise experience with Princess. I can certainly understand their anguish.

Edited by Thrak

Don't think they've been doing it for a year or so.

I thought that there were safety concerns over the candles burning and waving napkins about was adding to the problem. Close inspection of the accoutrements has lead to my believing that they are using plastic desserts and the candles are faux battery operated items. I pointed this out on a past cruise and totally ruined someones cruise a bit like when you told your children Santa Claus is not real and does not actually exist.

I think they could move forward with a cheaper dessert creating a lower state of euphoria with a more basic pudding, and people observing in silence while the waiters quietly hum a patriotic tune about the cruise line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Just returned from late seating traditional dining on the Caribbean Princess, and for the first time in 32 Princess cruises, there was no parade of the Baked Alaska. Yeah, I know it's pretty corny and all that, but it's been a tradition ever since we stated cruising, on every cruise line, 30 some years ago. Apparently it was done for early seating, but, according to our head waiter, for reasons unknown the chef and Maitre'd decided late seating was unworthy. Just a rant, but disappointed.

Happened to us on a cruise this year also.

Headwaiter said by dessert time there were not enough people still in the dining room to make the parade worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How many days was your cruise? I think on the getaway and shorter cruises they have eliminated it along with formal nights.

I thought that there were safety concerns over the candles burning and waving napkins about was adding to the problem. Close inspection of the accoutrements has lead to my believing that they are using plastic desserts and the candles are faux battery operated items. I pointed this out on a past cruise and totally ruined someones cruise a bit like when you told your children Santa Claus is not real and does not actually exist.

I think they could move forward with a cheaper dessert creating a lower state of euphoria with a more basic pudding, and people observing in silence while the waiters quietly hum a patriotic tune about the cruise line.

Regards John

What? Santa isn't real????:(

The plastic dome and electric candle parade. I suppose it's all down to health and safety. Who nowadays, would want a slice of the old fashioned ice cream cake ,that had been paraded through clouds of coughing and other delightful ailments anyway. Just me having a bad day:D

Just returned from late seating traditional dining on the Caribbean Princess, and for the first time in 32 Princess cruises, there was no parade of the Baked Alaska

I have read here that lots of traditional dinners crash the

anytime dining room for the parade.

Some posters even have 'data' about it.

I am one that hope it does NOT go away. It's one of those remnants of the old grander style of cruising that remains fun to many of us, despite that flame is now electronic and the baked alaskas they carry are fake.

It's the camaraderie in the dining room, as well as the much deserved recognition and expression of appreciation for the kitchen and wait staff for a job well done.

It's kinda like the smoking issue. I don't smoke so it's fine with me that no smoking is allowed on balconies. Now for the Baked Alaska, I don't get to partake of the Baked Alaska so I don't really care about them dancing and parading around with it. Years ago they use to set the meringue on fire but due to fire hazard that tradition is gone too. Dancing around with a dessert that a lot of folks like me can't eat is like shoving it in our face.:(

Edited by elliair