Cruising etiquette question: bringing food and drink back to the cabin

Badwolf515

Are you allowed to bring food and drinks from the various restaurants and bars back to your cabin?

(If yes, is it considered "proper cruising ettiquette" or is it one of those things that is technically allowed but actually frowned upon by people?)

Before people say "why would you want to be stuck in your cabin instead of out enjoying the ship?" Let me explain...

I have a serious autoimmune disease (Lupus) that makes my health very unpredictable. I've been on vacations before where the physical stress of traveling crippled me to the point where I couldn't leave the hotel room for most of the vacation. That's why we booked a balcony room on our Alaska cruise next year, so if my health takes a turn for the worse, I can still enjoy the scenery...

If I'm too sick to leave the cabin, my sweet husband said he would be happy to bring me food and drinks from different restaurants so that I can try a variety of what Princess offers, rather than being limited to the room service menu. So back to my question, is this allowed? Or will he get dirty looks and snide comments from other cruisers who don't know the situation? (I would like to spare him that if I can).

Thank you for your help! :)

Edited by Badwolf515

It's not frowned upon at all. There are many discussions on these threads of people feeling under the weather and the restaurant will pack food to go. I think I read recently about someone that was missing their favorite meal and the head waiter delivered this meal to her cabin. We bring things back from the buffet for happy hour all the time and unless people are sneering at us behind our backs we haven't ever felt out of place.

Yes, it's fine to bring food back from buffet, grill, pizza, International café, etc. It's generally best ro cover the plate with another to keep food from falling off, etc.

Completely fine and no it's not bad etiquette or anything. Sure, some snooty folks may roll their eyes - so what? They don't know your circumstance!

We've done it on virtually every cruise for various reasons - I too have some health issues that leave me cabin bound at times and hubs is more than happy to bring me a plate if I need it. Sometimes very interesting what he brings back though! Lol..

Not a problem, don't even worry about it. As Pam noted, tour health trumps any ninnies who may roll their eyes anyways!

Have s great cruise!!

Are you allowed to bring food and drinks from the various restaurants and bars back to your cabin?

(If yes, is it considered "proper cruising ettiquette" or is it one of those things that is technically allowed but actually frowned upon by people?)

Before people say "why would you want to be stuck in your cabin instead of out enjoying the ship?" Let me explain...

I have a serious autoimmune disease (Lupus) that makes my health very unpredictable. I've been on vacations before where the physical stress of traveling crippled me to the point where I couldn't leave the hotel room for most of the vacation. That's why we booked a balcony room on our Alaska cruise next year, so if my health takes a turn for the worse, I can still enjoy the scenery...

If I'm too sick to leave the cabin, my sweet husband said he would be happy to bring me food and drinks from different restaurants so that I can try a variety of what Princess offers, rather than being limited to the room service menu. So back to my question, is this allowed? Or will he get dirty looks and snide comments from other cruisers who don't know the situation? (I would like to spare him that if I can).

Yes, you can bring food to your cabin from the Horizon Ct. buffet, International Cafe, Prego Pizza, Trident Grill. It's done all the time and no one will comment. It is a little more difficult to bring food back from the DR. Basically the DR doesn't do take out. But, if you ask the waiter they may be able to wrap up a portion after your husband completes his meal.

There are a few problems:

I have not seen any seen take away containers at the venues mentioned. You may have to bring some of your own plastic wrap to cover the plates.

There are no trays, so you might have to make more than one trip. Multiple plates are difficult to carry, and make it hard to push the elevator buttons and open the cabin door. There is a small tray on top of your cabin fridge. Some people use that tray to carry more than one cup of coffee, plus other items back to the cabin.

If case of a medical condition like yours, room service might allow you to order off the DR menu. Check with the maitre'd after you board.

My SIL (who cruises to eat) likes a Lido deck cabin so he can hop out and get a burger or pizza to take back to the room. (He needs a snack to hold him over until dinner. LOL.) I see people all the time on the elevators, too, with food. Not a problem.

Good call on the balcony.

WE also take food and snacks back to cabin several times each Cruise. Depending on your Room Steward he/she may either clean up the dishes for you or ask you to set them out side the cabin door.

After long tours we often do not want to get cleaned up to eat in the Main Dining Room or two tired to mess with a crowded buffet. So, we grab something and head back to cabin. We never had anyone give us the stink eye while carrying the plates back and we do ride the elevators in the process.

Go, and enjoy your cruise.

Bob

The ideal solution, though expensive, is to book a full suite. As a full suite passenger one can order off of the MDR menu and have it delivered to your cabin.

Given your circumstances you may want to consult with the matre d and see if any accommodation can be made.

Please do not set your dishes outside your cabin door. It could be a safety hazard. The hallways are not wide enough for those in wheel chairs or walkers or scooters if there are obstacles in their way let alone the stewards carts. If the room steward does not have them taken away please call room service.

If your DH goes to a restaurant or dining room for dinner, he can ask to have a plate or dessert delivered to your cabin. Food is not allowed to be taken out of the dining room but I've had desserts delivered several times. That was in late Traditional dining and my waiter personally took the dessert up to the cabin.

My DH and I do this sometimes when we are at the pool. One person goes to the buffet and gets food for both of us. We take a second plate to cover the food. When we get back to the pool, we divide the food up onto the two plates. It's way easier than trying to carry two plates and keeps the food covered up and not exposed to germs along the way.

There is no guideline on Princess that states you cannot carry food back to your cabin from the buffet or other food venues except the MDRs.

There are two thoughtful ideas to keep in mind though.

As others have posted,it is a good idea to cover the food either with plastic wrap or another plate to protect the food from germs,etc.

Also, ask your steward for the best way to remove the dishes from your room.

Leaving them in the corridor outside your door is not a good idea.

It makes moving through the corridors difficult for some passengers and it makes an unsightly mess.

I have taken food from the buffet for myself, and for ( at times ) an ailing cabin-mate. Its NEVER a problem.

Others are quick to press the elevator button, and if the cabin steward sees you coming, he/she will quickly open the cabin door with his/her pass-key.

And I take the empty/dirty plates back to the buffet, + take them to the dirty-dish station,

or out to the pool deck areas where there are carts for dirty dishes.

I'd certainly never leave them on the floor outside the cabin--- (HOW TACKY) and also -- as others have said.... a trip hazard.

And I would not expect the already busy cabin-steward to add this task to his busy schedule.

Please don't forget about room service. They have been great. Everything always seems fresh like just made for us. Their lasagna is the best, big chef salad, Cobb Salad and sandwiches that are fresh made and 10X better than VC. You can write on the breakfast menu for eggs and bacon and they never disappointed us. We do give a small $2 tip per delivery.

framer

When my son was much younger he would fall asleep at the MDR table. We would eat and the waiters would always give me food to take back to the cabin for him to eat later. Sometimes they would put the food in foil and make a swan shape and other times they would give us the lid for the plate and we would get it back to the MDR.

One time i had a bad migraine and i did not go with the boys for dinner. The head waiter had someone bring me some food so that i would not starve. Like that is ever going to happen :eek:

Just talk to the head waiter and see what they can do for you. They are usually very accommodating.

Please don't forget about room service. They have been great. Everything always seems fresh like just made for us. Their lasagna is the best, big chef salad, Cobb Salad and sandwiches that are fresh made and 10X better than VC. You can write on the breakfast menu for eggs and bacon and they never disappointed us. We do give a small $2 tip per delivery.

framer

Note in their post that they're not discounting the room service menu, just not wanting to be limited to it only.

Having all the extra options available from buffet, International Cafe, grill and pizza, etc makes for a much wider selection, especially if cabin bound for a few days....

And I agree, room service is great, but can be limited in options over a few days.

That is why room service exists is because eating in your cabin is allowed. The ultimate balcony dining experience is another example that proves it is allowed.

My personal thought is that it is easy to bring things back from the buffet but I myself would not attempt to ask for a meal from the main restaurant to take back. I would call room service if I wanted a full cooked meal.