Finally!! Received an upsell offer

Cruise Raider

So, finally after 2 dozen cruises with Princess, I've received my first ever upsell offer. I would be oh so happy except that I've been checking this for over a month and even moved my reservation back to Princess from a travel agent that doesn't forward these offers on to their clients, giving up a little OBC in hopes to get an offer.

Why am I not oh so happy?? I had a friend over for an early dinner and we spent the afternoon and early evening visiting and just got around to checking my email from earlier today (I checked it this morning for this offer) and I may have missed it. :(I received my offer around noon today and didn't see it until now and they are closed for the weekend. Still keeping my fingers crossed and I will try back on Monday but fear I might be too late. Oh darn!!

You can go on the Princess Website and see what cabins are left that you could possibly be offered. Chances are you will be one that will be called. The same thing happened to us and Monday came around and I kept checking the website.. I could see the mini suites slowly disappearing but sure enough I got the call and I was home when it happened and I got a better then average up sell. Very happy with the upsell they offered us.

did you call back and leave a message?

i hope monday brings you good news!

I tried to leave a message and it when using he extension given, it just kept disconnecting me, not allowing me to leave a message. I will try again today.

There are just a smattering of cabins left now.... three being ok and the others being under the pool deck. Neither of us are interested in upgrading to a cabin right under the pool, though ... may not be a bad deal if it were a complimentary upgrade but not for an upsell. The offer is $269 pp from an obstructed OV to a balcony for a ten night sailing to Alaska.

I will update this post when I get more info. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Did the email give you the $ amount to upgrade? Usually, while it’s cheaper than if you’d booked the better cabin type to start with, it’s not cheap or worth it. I’ve had quite a few upsell offers and declined all except one.

Did the email give you the $ amount to upgrade? Usually, while it’s cheaper than if you’d booked the better cabin type to start with, it’s not cheap or worth it. I’ve had quite a few upsell offers and declined all except one.

They did. It was $269 pp for an upsell from an obstructed OV (OY category) to a balcony (BF - B2) ...that’s how it was written. It’s a ten night in Alaska. I was thinking more like $199 pp but Alaska is usually higher, especially for balcony cabins. So, its’s a bit more than I set my limit at but still a lot cheaper than if I’d have originally booked a balcony. I got a great deal on the original cabin so still ends up being somewhat of a bargain.

I’d never gotten an upsell offer before as I booked with a big box TA and hadn’t realized they didn’t forward those offers to their clients. I had heard about many fellow always getting these offers and wondering why I’d never received one after so many cruises on Princess. First time I’ve kept my booking with Princess and bingo ... finally got one! Whether or not I will be able to use it is another story.

I would be much more excited with a complimentary upgrade than with being offered to give Princess more $$$ for an upgrade.

I really don’t undstand the folks who look down on and speak badly of “upsell” offers. If you don’t want it, don’t take it!! It’s obvious that a “free” upgrade would be better than a “paid” upgrade, but the choice is totally up to the cruiser. I’d rather have them make the offer to me than to sell the cabin, at an extremely discounted rate, to someone who is just booking the cruise. We recently took advantage of an upsell to a full aft suite, with a wrap around huge balcony, for our upcoming 14-day transatlantic in September. Yes, it cost a bit, but we were thrilled to be traveling in a full suite for our two week voyage ... and it was thousands less than if we had originally booked it!

Edited by BigGuy25

So, finally after 2 dozen cruises with Princess, I've received my first ever upsell offer. I would be oh so happy except that I've been checking this for over a month and even moved my reservation back to Princess from a travel agent that doesn't forward these offers on to their clients, giving up a little OBC in hopes to get an offer.

Why am I not oh so happy?? I had a friend over for an early dinner and we spent the afternoon and early evening visiting and just got around to checking my email from earlier today (I checked it this morning for this offer) and I may have missed it. :(I received my offer around noon today and didn't see it until now and they are closed for the weekend. Still keeping my fingers crossed and I will try back on Monday but fear I might be too late. Oh darn!!

I have had upsell offers while book through a TA. The upsell is handled by Princess. Call early Monday. Good Luck I hope you get it.

How exciting! I am really happy for you. I hope I get sail with you again someday. I enjoyed our visit on the aft decks last time.

I have gotten one upsell offer, from an OV to balcony on an Alaska cruise, but we declined due to the price, especially since we had side by side cabins. This happened when we were booked through a private TA. Often we book through an online agency for the OBC. I booked our Sept trip through the same private TA, so I'm curious to see if we get another offer. We are currently booked in a Caribe balcony, and it looks like there are quite a few minis left, so I'm not counting on it, but wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks everyone!! I was able to get through to at least leave a message today. Since I've never gotten an upsell offer before, not really sure how this is going to work. I see about 13 balconies in the categories listed that are available. Not sure if they assign the category / cabin or if I can choose from the available cabins. I guess I will find out on Monday. I will come back and post the results.

Sure, it is going to cost us more but still about a $1000 less than I would have paid for a balcony at the time of the booking. And, if I tried to book a balcony cabin now, yikes ... it would be $3300 more total than my original pricing for an obstructed OV. They are offering me this for about $600 when the bump in the insurance is added in. Now, I would never pay the inflated price of $5200 for a balcony room for a 10 night cruise. I know Alaska is pricey but that is just crazy without any other perks.

Hopefully, Monday will bring me joy. I can't do anything more but wait for that call.

PS ... somebody mentioned something about a TA forwarding these upsell offers to their clients. For the most part, I think they do but I found out that the big box TA I was using does not. At least they were honest about it ... she told me they just don't have the time to pass them along. I was surprised but it certainly explained all those times I never received an offer. I recently tried to use a brick and mortar TA close to home and she had no idea what an upsell offer was. Oh noooooo! Because this sailing had such a small commission, there was so little OBC that they were going to offer, I thought it best to take my chances and leave the booking with Princess. Lo and behold, I got my first upsell offer ...hopefully, not too late. I am hoping to get one of the available cabins in the aft section of the Baja deck. There are only cabins all the way forward on the Caribe deck and I am a little frightened of the rooms on the Aloha deck ... those under the pool anyway.

How exciting! I am really happy for you. I hope I get sail with you again someday. I enjoyed our visit on the aft decks last time.

Me, too!! If there are any good offerings for December ... who knows, I might have to jump on that ship with you. :D

We booked that same suite again for next October....maybe then!

We have taken upsell offers on our last three cruises from an inside to a balcony and I've always been able to pick the cabin. See what's available on the website and then make a list of preferred cabins so you are ready when they call. Better yet, take the call while sitting at your computer. Good luck. Hope you get the call!

I track prices of cruises in a spreadsheet a lot of times before booking them. I usually go with two or three types of cabins--insides, ocean views, and balconies. The prices can vary dramatically from week to week, month to month. Tracking prices can help decide whether an upgrade is worth it to you. For me, $269 per person is more than I want to pay extra for a balcony in Alaska. We had a cabin with a balcony on one Alaska cruise, but we got it as a free upgrade.

The only time I've taken an upsell was last year from a balcony to a full suite. I know I paid a lot more than some would consider--$70 per person per day. But it was worth it to us since we had not paid much for our cabin to start with. We paid around $130 per person per day for the cruise including insurance and port fees and taxes. If I found another deal that low on a suite, I'd take it.

Thanks everyone!! I was able to get through to at least leave a message today. Since I've never gotten an upsell offer before, not really sure how this is going to work. I see about 13 balconies in the categories listed that are available. Not sure if they assign the category / cabin or if I can choose from the available cabins. I guess I will find out on Monday. I will come back and post the results.

Sure, it is going to cost us more but still about a $1000 less than I would have paid for a balcony at the time of the booking. And, if I tried to book a balcony cabin now, yikes ... it would be $3300 more total than my original pricing for an obstructed OV. They are offering me this for about $600 when the bump in the insurance is added in. Now, I would never pay the inflated price of $5200 for a balcony room for a 10 night cruise. I know Alaska is pricey but that is just crazy without any other perks.

Hopefully, Monday will bring me joy. I can't do anything more but wait for that call.

PS ... somebody mentioned something about a TA forwarding these upsell offers to their clients. For the most part, I think they do but I found out that the big box TA I was using does not. At least they were honest about it ... she told me they just don't have the time to pass them along. I was surprised but it certainly explained all those times I never received an offer. I recently tried to use a brick and mortar TA close to home and she had no idea what an upsell offer was. Oh noooooo! Because this sailing had such a small commission, there was so little OBC that they were going to offer, I thought it best to take my chances and leave the booking with Princess. Lo and behold, I got my first upsell offer ...hopefully, not too late. I am hoping to get one of the available cabins in the aft section of the Baja deck. There are only cabins all the way forward on the Caribe deck and I am a little frightened of the rooms on the Aloha deck ... those under the pool anyway.

Unload the "do nothing" big box agent and find a good on line agent. You don't need brick and mortar as you just told us above. We can't recommend, but with enough poking around you'll eventually find the right one. Or two.

I am elite and received many (I never use a TA) but have rejected all but one because I didn’t want to buy anymore than I originally did. I have spent enough traveling solo with Princess that a friend told me they should name a ship after me. The best offer I ever received and needless to say took was a free upgrade from a mini to a full two bedroom suite

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was aware that we wouldn't hear from the big box TA when I booked our last minute Alaska cruise but we did manage to get an upsell. Someone on our roll call said that they had received an email so DH called the big box TA who contacted Princess and as a result we were able to get a balcony in place of obstructed oceanview.