A suggestion re dining options

vandalayceo

We always eat in the MDR for dinner, but sometimes visit the Horizon Court after evening activities for a late night snack. Often I am surprised by the selections that were available.

Normally there are some of the items featured on the menu in the MDR, but also other items often related to some sort of theme-i.e. Indian, Italian, German etc., and certainly a much wider choice than in MDR, as would be expected from a buffet.

Don't understand why they don't post a daily overview of what will be available at the evening buffet.

The menu for the MDR is always posted daily outside the MDR entrances early every day.

The menu for the Horizon Court must be set at least 24 hours in advance, and could also be posted outside the Horizon Court Entrance.

I have noticed in the Patter they sometimes do reference that the Horizon Court will have a "Oriental" or other similiarly themed evening, but no more detail.

I am not talking about detailing every item i.e. salads etc., just the main entree items.

Could help in where deciding to eat, and doesn't take any major effort.

This post probably spurred by the fact that one night saw that braised Lamb shanks were available in the HC, and I had no way of knowing!

I agree with you and would like to see their main items or theme posted at the entrance to the HC.

Because we didn't particularly like the quality of food in the buffet, we used to eat dinner only in the MDR. But one night we didn't like the MDR offerings and decided to give the buffet a try. We were shocked at the variety of foods they had and how good many of them were. Since then we have usually had several dinners in the HC during each cruise, especially on theme nights. I really like the German food. One thing I enjoy is eating next to the window while watching the sunset. Always easy to get a good seat because few people eat at the buffet for dinner.

I always check the HC before deciding where to eat dinner. During the day I make it a point to drop by the MDR doors and see what is on the menu that night. Sometimes the HC is more appealing and I eat there while other times I go to the MDR. Part of my decision is based on what is happening that night so sometimes the HC is a quick dinner before some activity I want to attend.

Last night on the Star they welcomed us to Mexican night at the HC, complete with sign and vegetable mariachi players. Except someone forgot to tell the kitchen, because they were presenting bratwurst, sauerkraut, red cabbage, pork, spaetzle, etc.

Many cruises back on Emerald Princess we "discovered" Cafe Caribe, which featured theme nights as mentioned below (German, Italian, Seafood etc.) as well as MDR items such as Beef Wellington on Formal night.

The really nice thing was the theme for the night was posted prominently in the Patter. It made our choice of dining venue easier. Unfortunately recent cruises on Caribbean and Crown Princess have not used the Patter to communicate the themes. I wish they would.

Last night on the Star they welcomed us to Mexican night at the HC, complete with sign and vegetable mariachi players. Except someone forgot to tell the kitchen, because they were presenting bratwurst, sauerkraut, red cabbage, pork, spaetzle, etc.

That is too funny!!!

The theme for the buffet used to be in the Patter every day. However, I haven't seen it in the last couple of years, and I miss it.

On the Ruby in 2009 & 2010 HC had a standard menu, and Cafe Caribe had the theme buffets. That way if you weren't interested in the theme items you could eat at HC.

You could always look at the HC before heading to the MDR because the HC is open before the MDR. HC opens at 5:30Pm for dinner so do a walk through and then decide where you feel like eating. I've always been pleasantly surprised at the choices of the buffet and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere it affords at dinner time.

HAL posts each night's buffet menu near the entrance of the buffet as soon as lunch is over. It's very helpful.

Even better would be if both the dining room and buffet menus (not just themes) for breakfast and lunch were posted on the TV early in the day so we could plan our day more easily.

Even more better would be for the ship to have an intranet so we could check these things on our electronic devices. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

BTW- in the past, the evening's buffet theme was not posted in the Patter but it was last winter on the Emerald. This small change was very nice.

Yes, the Emerald did have it posted as we ate German Night in the buffet and it was quite tasty. I am not a buffet person but here and there if we don;t feeling like dressing up or taking the time to sit through the courses in the DR, we do the buffet.

We usually check out the menu for the dining room and the theme for the evening in the HC or Cafe Caribe. Some of our cruises had the theme for the Caribe or HC in the patters and some didn't. It would be helpful if they published in the patters on all of their ships.

We very much agree with the OP's suggestion that the special themes in Cafe Caribe should be better advertised in the Patter. This seems to be the norm in the past couple of years. On our most recent TA on the Ruby, for example, we only found out they were serving Greek food that evening when we overheard a conversation between a passenger and one of the Horizon employees. It would seem to be a rather simple thing to remedy. :confused:

Even more better would be for the ship to have an intranet so we could check these things on our electronic devices. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?
Dreams can come true. The Intranet is being introduced on the Royal in a couple of weeks and from what I've read, to the rest of the fleet. People have posted that their pre-cruise email included this on the Coral and other ships. It'll have menus, activities, your folio, etc. :) You can start doing a happy dance. I am.

Agree the menu should be posted for the HC. In fact, we have included this suggestion several times on the survey. Now, my husband just goes to the HC during day, ask for the chef and then ask him the menu for the night.....which he gladly supplies:):):)

Dreams can come true. The Intranet is being introduced on the Royal in a couple of weeks and from what I've read, to the rest of the fleet. People have posted that their pre-cruise email included this on the Coral and other ships. It'll have menus, activities, your folio, etc. :) You can start doing a happy dance. I am.

Hi Pam,

Am i right in understanding that this new intranet system is going fleet wide, we are sailing the Ruby in August and it would be interesting to know.

I leave next week on the island princess and indeed my 2 week pre-cruise email says "You can also take advantage of Princess@Sea once onboard, our new FREE service available on your smartphone or tablet that allows you access events, venue & port information as well as your stateroom account!"

(I do dislike the "allows you access events", does no one spell/grammar check?). I am hopeful that it is up and running and i'll be checking it out!

HAL posts each night's buffet menu near the entrance of the buffet as soon as lunch is over. It's very helpful.

Even better would be if both the dining room and buffet menus (not just themes) for breakfast and lunch were posted on the TV early in the day so we could plan our day more easily.

BTW- in the past, the evening's buffet theme was not posted in the Patter but it was last winter on the Emerald. This small change was very nice.

Your wishes are about to come true... Intranet will start being available on cell phones, iPads, and laptops...:D That might avoid a walk for some to check out HC... and other things!

To me a downside to eating dinner in HC or CC is they don't offer any of Princess' home made ice cream for dessert.

Since we are submitting our wish lists I would like to add ice cream. RCCL makes ice cream available in the evening at its Windjammer Café so I don't think the request is unreasonable.

Your wishes are about to come true... Intranet will start being available on cell phones, iPads, and laptops...:D That might avoid a walk for some to check out HC... and other things!

What? How will I ever get my exercise if it is not going to the MDR during the day to see the menu for the evening and later cruising through the HC/Cafe Caribe to see what is being offered.

To me a downside to eating dinner in HC or CC is they don't offer any of Princess' home made ice cream for dessert.

Since we are submitting our wish lists I would like to add ice cream. RCCL makes ice cream available in the evening at its Windjammer Café so I don't think the request is unreasonable.

Well, Princess is not RCCL, but I assume you can always ask, or else go to the MDR just for ice cream...

Now, I'm not looking the gift horse in the mouth and am very much looking forward to this intranet thingy. But why overcomplicate this? If they can post the buffet menu electronically, would it be so difficult to post an 8.5x11 sheet of paper outside the entrance earlier in the day? :cool:

I seem to remember a couple of cruises ago (the Island or the Golden) going to the Horizon and seeing a menu just as you open. I definitely wish (and have mentioned this on the comment card) that the entrees be listed in large type above the station so that people will know what's available long before they get to the window (it would certainly move the line faster). Having a sign listing the choices right by the hand sanitizer would be great.

We always eat in the MDR for dinner, but sometimes visit the Horizon Court after evening activities for a late night snack. Often I am surprised by the selections that were available.

Normally there are some of the items featured on the menu in the MDR, but also other items often related to some sort of theme-i.e. Indian, Italian, German etc., and certainly a much wider choice than in MDR, as would be expected from a buffet.

Don't understand why they don't post a daily overview of what will be available at the evening buffet.

The menu for the MDR is always posted daily outside the MDR entrances early every day.

The menu for the Horizon Court must be set at least 24 hours in advance, and could also be posted outside the Horizon Court Entrance.

I have noticed in the Patter they sometimes do reference that the Horizon Court will have a "Oriental" or other similiarly themed evening, but no more detail.

I am not talking about detailing every item i.e. salads etc., just the main entree items.

Could help in where deciding to eat, and doesn't take any major effort.

This post probably spurred by the fact that one night saw that braised Lamb shanks were available in the HC, and I had no way of knowing!

That would be great. We have found that sometimes the evening meal in the buffet is more to our liking than in the MDR, but we have to traipse up to the buffet to check it out and then back to the MDR if it's not what we want. (We do Anytime dining).

On our Feb. cruise to Hawaii the buffet had some really great meals, especially the night we were in Honolulu.

Archived