NCL Dawn on the HAL Forum......

sail7seas

Yes, I am aware this is the HAL forum but this is my "CC home" and want to share about my recent NCL Dawn Cruise.

For various reasons associated with my never having sailed without my late DH, having sailed so many dozens of times with him on HAL ships, knowing lots of stewards/crew/officers who invariably would be asking where is "Sir Robert" were I to sail there, my friends invited me to return to sea and sail on a ship other than one I had any memories of being on with DH.

We had sailed in the past with these friends, I think the world of them and chose to accept their kind offer.

Then the worrying began.... would I be so sad and negative I'd ruin their good time? Could I have a good time traveling without him? NCL.... are you kidding me? We always teased about the graffiti on their ships. :) :D !! I said to my self Go,,,, just go. I had to at least try and I'm so glad I did.

We returned this morning and unpacking, laundry, grocery shopping and all the rest await so I'll be back later with details but just want to say how pleasantly surprised I was with the whole experience.

NCL does a fine job. I loved my Penthouse (though it did not include laundry service - I'll be writing to their suggestion box :D). The balcony was large and comfortable, the bed was perfect for my comfort level and the butler was a delight. Their crew is so friendly, efficient and hard working. Lots of Filipino crew made me feel at home though I admit to missing the Dutch Officers and other HAL's Officers/staff.

The ship itself is fine though I admit to liking HAL's quiet dignity and art and flowers and layout better and oh my when one is all the way aft and needs to go all the way forward, a people moving sidewalk sure would be nice.

Laffnvegas has written here a number of times about NCL and I agree with much she said and no one is more surprised than me.

More later. Just wanted to drop in and say Hi and a few brief comments about the first time I have sailed any ship but an HAL in a great many years.

Glad you had a good trip! I thought of you when I heard a radio interview with Guy Harvey, the marine artist who's doing the hull art and some of the interior on the upcoming NCL Escape. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the process of creating the hull art sounded pretty cool. (He's the artist responsible for the large marine life murals at FLL.)

So glad you enjoyed your cruise.☺. NCL has been my main cruise line for over 20 years and I will be sailing on HAL in Sep for the first time. I'm hoping I will enjoyed it as much as you did.

We have sailed in the penthouses several times and enjoyed all the benefits.

Edited by BSR

Wonderful news! I'm so glad you were able to "get your feet wet" and find you were able to cruise again. I'm also happy you had a good time while making this new discovery. I hope when the time is right you'll be able to find your way home to HAL. In the meantime, there are many fine ships out there, as you're learning.

welcome home! Wonderful news. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself and I am so glad. Looking forward to hearing more if time permits between the unpacking and all that other busy stuff.

NCL does a fine job. I loved my Penthouse (though it did not include laundry service - I'll be writing to their suggestion box :D). The balcony was large and comfortable, the bed was perfect for my comfort level and the butler was a delight. Their crew is so friendly, efficient and hard working. Lots of Filipino crew made me feel at home though I admit to missing the Dutch Officers and other HAL's Officers/staff.

The ship itself is fine though I admit to liking HAL's quiet dignity and art and flowers and layout better and oh my when one is all the way aft and needs to go all the way forward, a people moving sidewalk sure would be nice.

Laffnvegas has written here a number of times about NCL and I agree with much she said and no one is more surprised than me.

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. My Norwegian Dawn cruise put me off to NCL for the forseeable future, so I always hold my breath for anyone else trying NCL for the first time on Dawn.

So glad you enjoyed your trip. I posted with you over on the NCL board. I went the week before you, so wasn't able to "scope you out" and treat you to a cocktail before dinner. I used to do B2B Caribbean on HAL and know what you mean about that great laundry service! Glad you enjoyed your butler. We had Caesar, very experienced, professional, and gracious. I like the afternoon snacks on NCL better than what used to be in the Neptune Lounge on HAL.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts. I was wondering if you'd post them here or on the NCL board.

We too jumped ship a little more than a year ago and tried the Allure and then the Getaway. Very surprised with both trips and would go again on either. Other trading walkers for strollers, the experience was similar with the usual exceptions for personal taste and comfort.

Dan

Edited by dogo88

Really looking forward to your full report, but I certainly understand if you don't feel like posting a whole review. You're like the girl at camp who snuck around to the other side of the lake. All the kids want to know what you saw. :)

Judy, I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the ship and your cruise. I knew getting back on the water would be good for you, and from what you wrote so far, it seems that it was. So brave of you to take that first step.

Oh, Sail, I am so glad you enjoyed your NCL cruise. I was harboring a concern that you wouldn't.

We have had about 20 cruises with NCL and are embarking on our fourth HAL cruise in a couple of weeks. Obviously, we enjoy both lines.

One of the things I miss when I'm on HAL ships is Freestyle dining. There are just so many more choices for dining, including the less formal, smaller MDRs.

Good for you for trying something new. It's fun to shake it up.