Allure is TRACKING WHAT YOU DRINK IN DL

Not overly concerned about tracking and not jumping to conclusions that there will be any changes to DL. Tracking is very commonly used to determine if an electronic pour system for the most commonly ordered alcohols would result in better inventory management as well as overall cost savings.

I'm sure there is some reason they are tracking - we can speculate all we want. I would not be at all surprised if at some point there becomes a three drink ( or whatever) limit regardless of venue. I often see the servers topping off glasses of wine and wonder if that practice will stop.

What I find amusing is that there are a few complaints that folks are having to/or will have to wait too long for a FREE drink. Or, that they have to go elsewhere to get that FREE drink. Again the cruse line can't win. They provide unlimited drinks, (and basically a decent variety of drinks) and folks still complain.

Just a heads up - Most of the bar venues other than the lounges are simply NOT CROWDED many of the same hours the DL/CL is open. Why not use one of those venues to meet with friends for a drink. Why be frustrated and angry that you can't get seated or served in a crowded lounge when there is ample space and service elsewhere. And, as long as three drinks per person is enough, the price is the same:)

Cheers

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

The bartenders in the DL tend to have the heaviest pour on the ship. My Jack+Coke in the DL is usually about 1 part Jack to 1 part Coke instead of the usual 1 part Jack to 4 parts Coke you'd get elsewhere on the ship. Maybe they are just trying to crack down on that.

Edited by UCF_Knight

I'm sure there is some reason they are tracking - we can speculate all we want. I would not be at all surprised if at some point there becomes a three drink ( or whatever) limit regardless of venue. I often see the servers topping off glasses of wine and wonder if that practice will stop.

What I find amusing is that there are a few complaints that folks are having to/or will have to wait too long for a FREE drink. Or, that they have to go elsewhere to get that FREE drink. Again the cruse line can't win. They provide unlimited drinks, (and basically a decent variety of drinks) and folks still complain.

Just a heads up - Most of the bar venues other than the lounges are simply NOT CROWDED many of the same hours the DL/CL is open. Why not use one of those venues to meet with friends for a drink. Why be frustrated and angry that you can't get seated or served in a crowded lounge when there is ample space and service elsewhere. And, as long as three drinks per person is enough, the price is the same:)

Cheers

M

I was curious about topping off wine as well. I guess it's new glasses only from now on.

Tracking is very commonly used to determine if an electronic pour system for the most commonly ordered alcohols would result in better inventory management as well as overall cost savings.

Somehow, I don't think the Bionic bar is money saver for RCI.

The truth is I am astounded that Royal Caribbean hasn't been doing this tracking all along. It is just good revenue management practice. Knowing who is drinking what, when and how much is basic to inventory control. It also gives Royal a clearer idea of what Crown and Anchor benefits are costing and which C&A members are using the benefits. It also cuts down on "shrinkage," if employees are taking advantage of the loose liquor control in the lounges.

Next, we'll need our cards for the coffee machine too. The cost and upkeep of those machines is not an insignificant amount.

I am also surprised that those with three-dink coupons can also come to the lounge and drink there too. That is such a generous practice. Royal really has been generous in that aspect. It does not surprise me at all that they are doing a "slow down" in the lounge by requiring cards before each drink. I do wonder, however, if they will begin to ease off eventually once they realize what they want to know or if the new routine will become permanent and fleet-wide.

Not really a concern I'm worried about. It's a business and they need to track trends, highs and lows like everybody else. I also agree with others in saying that "they are surprised it hasn't happened sooner".

Maybe they r running it for a tip

That's what I think too. In Coastal Kitchen they ran my card on a night where I didn't have any upcharges (I drank the free booze with dinner). Even if you don't leave an additional tip, it may be a way for them to distribute the auto grats to the waiters who serve you. (Or am I being naïve about that?)

Somehow, I don't think the Bionic bar is money saver for RCI.

Electronic pour doesn't mean robotic bartenders :)

Several larger companies have shifted to electronic spouts on liquor bottles that measure exactly a shot when poured for inventory control. I've only seen it at the more big name/less personal service places as it removes a bartenders ability to pour heavy for a regular, etc.

But they could be evaluating how much product loss they're seeing in the DL compared to other venues.

In addition to stock info, they could also be doing it to see how widespread the "abuse" is by some Diamonds that plant themselves in there for 3 hours and booze it up and then brag that they never buy a drink onboard. Let's face it - it's a well worn topic here and many have seen it firsthand. (Not me - we stay in the CL and I've never seen it in those.)

Recent change on Royal's sister line X too. Just returned from Eclipse where they still give you three paper vouchers nightly. For first time at nightly elite event in Sky bar you had to hand in voucher to get a drink, thereby limiting you to three freebies per night total. Had bev package as promo so no impact, but hope Royal doesn't start similarly limiting dl drinks.

In addition to stock info, they could also be doing it to see how widespread the "abuse" is by some Diamonds that plant themselves in there for 3 hours and booze it up and then brag that they never buy a drink onboard. Let's face it - it's a well worn topic here and many have seen it firsthand. (Not me - we stay in the CL and I've never seen it in those.)

Sorry - Not with you on this one. I don't know the drinking patterns of passengers in the DL/CL or suite lounge but how is abuse for a passenger to take full advantage of a benefit. RCCL gives C&A members and suite passengers a variety of benefits. If one particular benefit us used fully, is that abuse?

I am rarely (if ever) in any lounge for more than an hour during cocktail time so I have no first hand knowledge of who is in a lounge and how long they stay there. Those who have that knowledge, must be in there the entire time also.

M

cruisegirl - I haven't seen it either BUT it is reported here on a consistent basis that many times people cannot get a seat in the DL because it is overrun by cliques that park themselves in there. I've seen posts here bragging about how they spent the full 3 hours throwing back booze as fast as they can. That's why I have "abuse" in parentheses because it is indeed open to interpretation. Totally cool to disagree with me but I think Royal might be a bit frustrated with how the DL's are being utilized and they are looking at options.

cruisegirl - I haven't seen it either BUT it is reported here on a consistent basis that many times people cannot get a seat in the DL because it is overrun by cliques that park themselves in there. I've seen posts here bragging about how they spent the full 3 hours throwing back booze as fast as they can. That's why I have "abuse" in parentheses because it is indeed open to interpretation. Totally cool to disagree with me but I think Royal might be a bit frustrated with how the DL's are being utilized and they are looking at options.

And this is an opinion of several ship officers within RCI!! I was standing there when a D+ asked HD Xavier why there was not an Overflow area for the DL. His reply was: You diamonds go up there to spend the entire night getting drunk where it is intended for a pre-dinner drink and an after dinner drink. Go use you voucher if it is too crowded for you.

I did not use quotations because this conversation was last year in October and I do not remember every exact word but demonstrates his attitude towards the abuse factor.

I am dreaming that they can track my drinking habits so that, when I return to my room, there are complementary mini-bar bottles of my favorite alcohol or soda waiting for me. Now that would be a nice surprise upon returning to the room.

And this is an opinion of several ship officers within RCI!! I was standing there when a D+ asked HD Xavier why there was not an Overflow area for the DL. His reply was: You diamonds go up there to spend the entire night getting drunk where it is intended for a pre-dinner drink and an after dinner drink. Go use you voucher if it is too crowded for you.

I did not use quotations because this conversation was last year in October and I do not remember every exact word but demonstrates his attitude towards the abuse factor.

Sounds like HD Xavier should be fired. That is just awful customer service.

Its called Analytics/Sabermetrics.. Cost analysis..

They could be just trying to account for all the alcohol..

or.. Maybe trying to see how much it costs..

or..

Seriously though, how much could they possibly drink in that time? And how many people are physically able to? I can imagine people staying there to socialize and they're not necessarily slamming down drinks.

It sounds hard to believe that he would talk to anyone like that, even if it was a drunken Diamond.

Can't see what all the fuss is about :)

Getting something for "FREE" and moaning about having to have a card swiped, cmon people really ;)

Save the moaning for when the Diamonds are kicked out of all the DL and D Clubs

Happy Days!