Does anybody ever bring a gift for their room steward?

tdavis0990

I've never given an extra gift but on one cruise my daughter sent beautiful orchids for my birthday. They still looked as fresh as the first day when we were leaving, I asked our room attendant if she would like to "look after" my flowers, she was very happy to.

We are doing the Harmony inaugural TA and we have pins stating the same, I've ordered one for our attendant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How much extra would you tip for a balcony, 7 night . We are 2 people . We have pre paid gratuities. Sorry , first time cruisers here and kinda clueless. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also depends on if you feel the room steward did a wonderful job.

I always tip extra, but the amount depends on the service given.

I'm a bit slow tonight, are you being sarcastic?

I sure hope so.

I recall somebody on this site said she gave the room steward photos of herself so he can take it home and show his family his favorite passengers..

I can just imagine the conversation among crew after she left!!!

First we always tip over the pre-paids, I worked waitress/bartender in college so I get tipping/cash.

We don't bring something specific but we always travel with snacks that we know are not on the ships. We have asked, and if they wanted them gave them. We had one steward who was nuts about Crunchy Cheetos, same as me. He seemed like a little kid when I gave him the bags we didn't use. Snack bags not party size LOL!!!

Also on one cruise it was DSO Bday so we arrived to find a HUGE cake for like 12 people. :eek: There was also a cheese & fruit plate that was also huge. Being as it was just the 2 of us, we invited the steward to join us( he couldn't) but we did offer him the cake/plate after we took one slice. We did get really stellar service the rest of the time.

Edited by rdsxgrl28

If you want to bring a small gift, do it like if you were doing a gift exchange. Something specific from your area. We have never done that. Cash is always appreciated. :) Tip is already paid for. If we get average service or below, that is all they get. We have had a couple like that. Mostly, though, we tip them extra. It is a personal choice.

For years I have given my RA snacks, a food treat every day......haven't you seen them shopping for food or returning to the ship with food items. Just last week I was on a cruise and went to the grocery store where several crew members were loading up on snack food and drink. Why pay a random crew members bill? Many like surprises rather than the same old, same old...

When I bring wine ob I purchased bags of popcorn which I use for padding then give to my RA.

Cash is certainly easier to pack...but sometimes the unexpected brings a smile to their face.

Edited by land lover

CASH. Not some little doodad or food that you like or "think" they would like. "They always show appreciation" ---have you ever had one of them go yuck-no thank you. They are polite people just like you. Have you ever turned your nose up at a gift giver? Of course, not. Why do you think they would? On the other hand, if they have told you that they would like something-like the doll for their child, or pay for their lunch when they are in port, then that is a different story.

Edited by gadaboutgal

For years I have given my RA snacks, a food treat every day......haven't you seen them shopping for food or returning to the ship with food items. Just last week I was on a cruise and went to the grocery store where several crew members were loading up on snack food and drink. Why pay a random crew members bill? Many like surprises rather than the same old, same old...

When I bring wine ob I purchased bags of popcorn which I use for padding then give to my RA.

Cash is certainly easier to pack...but sometimes the unexpected brings a smile to their face.

This is what we do as well. There is a different "sweet treat" every day...moon pies, skittles, whatever I bring. They seem to look forward to each day to see what we leave out for them. Obviously, cash is added at the end. I figure that even if they don't like the particular treat I give them they can give it to someone else. I have never had any kind of negative reaction. They always appreciate the thought. I love doing it.

On our recent cruise our attendant (Bailey) and I exchanged jokes and smiles every day. When I came out of the room he would come running up and tell me another funny story or joke and I'd retaliate. We both had a good laugh.

He was really good so we, of course, tipped him extra as well. We also tipped him during the cruise for taking care of some things for us and making us really fun towel animals.

It was Mother's Day during the cruise and Bailey brought my wife a card and sang her a mother's day song.

It was a most enjoyable experience. We also made mention of him in our surveys.

Tom

We tip extra to the cabin steward, but wrap the extra money around Kit Kat bars. Our last cruise, the steward told us these were his favorites and he was hiding them from his assistant. We walked by his cart later and there was an empty wrapper sitting on it, but there were no signs of the others.

I'm sure we will do the same for our next cruise as we know the staff wants cash and not gifts, but a little chocolate treat works too with the extra cash.

I extra tip, and leave excellent feedback in the survey...
...On [b2B] turnaround day I tell him/her to take the day off from cleaning my room..
While cash is king, I think survey feedback and the day off on B2B turn around are also much appreciated - and don't take up any of their very limited storage space:D

Thom