To Diet or not to Diet?

famreynoso

I try and find a middle ground. I don't pig out or eat just because it's all included but if let's say, I see two appetizers on the menu I like or want to try, I do.

I also don't eat bread, to me it's just a "filler". I want to enjoy the food, not the bread.

However, I won't eat something I don't love, I leave it and save those calories for something I really love.

I also walk a lot and take stairs so it also kind of balances out.:D

I am currently dieting and plan to until my cruise (and beyond) on Jan 15. I will not diet on the cruise, I don't want to have to "worry" about it. I want to have fun and it wouldn't be if I was stressing about everything I'm eating. I will hopefully get lots of exercise with all the walking to counteract the eating.

Edited by amydresh

Just curious, while on the cruise, do you pig out? Or continue counting carbs? Or pace yourself?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

One of the greatest disservices on mass market cruise ships is the allowance for passengers to self-serve at buffets. Even folks who swear up and down that they are taking "normal" single serving portions are often kidding themselves.

Someday, lines like Carnival will realize that adding staff to serve buffet items will save waste, avoid food safety mishaps and, ultimately, save the cruise line money. And, even though passengers could certainly return for additional portions, it is more likely that they would pay more attention to their intake.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

IF you think eating healthy is a "diet" then it is much harder. No one needs to "pig out" to enjoy a cruise.

You can eat in a healthy way and also enjoy some alcohol and desserts. The key is to exercise and choose wisely and not excessively!

I usually try to cut back a bit for the weeks leading up to the cruise so I have a little expansion room. [emoji6]. However, once I'm on the cruise I enjoy everything, but as tonit964 said, I don't eat it unless I love it. I also stay away from the bread and rolls....mostly. However, I am rigid when I get home and already have a plan and grocery list for healthy eating the minute I get back. I don't even weigh for a week after I get back, I already know I gained, so why spoil my return with regrets.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One thing I can't stand is feeling FULL!

I do like to try different foods on a cruise but I could live on bread and butter.

Not a fan of desserts either so I don't even look at them.

I'll pretty much eat the same amount of food on a cruise as I do at home. However, I tend to consume more alcohol at sea...lol

I try and find a middle ground. I don't pig out or eat just because it's all included but if let's say, I see two appetizers on the menu I like or want to try, I do.

I also don't eat bread, to me it's just a "filler". I want to enjoy the food, not the bread.

However, I won't eat something I don't love, I leave it and save those calories for something I really love.

I also walk a lot and take stairs so it also kind of balances out.:D

Great answer, we try to do the same. Obviously many cruisers don't

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing I can't stand is feeling FULL!

I do like to try different foods on a cruise but I could live on bread and butter.

Not a fan of desserts either so I don't even look at them.

I'll pretty much eat the same amount of food on a cruise as I do at home. However, I tend to consume more alcohol at sea...lol

Oh how I wish I wasn't a fan of desserts. :p

I almost always spend 6-8 weeks before the cruise watching what I eat trying to lose a few pounds pre-cruise. I also up the exercise.

On a cruise I don't diet but I try not to 'pig out' either. But, I certainly eat more than normal; it's part of what I enjoy about vacation. I like to try different things; if I don't like something, I don't eat it.

I know most of us underestimate just how much more we are eating. How many people eat a 4-5 course meal every night at home? Not to mention buffets, so easy to take too much. And food available 24/7 with no effort.

I also do a lot of walking and take the stairs whenever possible. Of course this doesn't really offset the extra calories, but it does help. We do fairly active excursions as well, normally. May be a problem this year as my husband is having severe walking problems due to plantar facscitis.

Bacon is my thing on cruises!

I pretty much eat the same regardless of where I am, land or sea. It does not matter that a plethora of food choices are included my my cruise price. It does not mean that I have to try to eat all of those choices because they are "free."

The one indulgence I'll do is if an appetizer looks interesting and I might order one. But, then, I will always order a lighter entree. I don't really like sweet desserts, so I don't do them. I do love to go to the buffet and make my own entree-sized salads - I make my own salads a few nights every week at home.

I do tend to get a little nauseated when I see fellow cruisers eating like these are their last meals on Death Row. And, the wastefulness that happens when people try two or three appetizers, eat maybe a quarter of them, order 2 entrees and leave half, go to the buffet and load up the plate and leave most of it. It makes the buffet area not so pleasant with all that left on the tables and, I'm sure, contributes to the escalating costs. Yes, I know, one person here will tell me again that I shouldn't be cruising or even taking a vacation. But, there is more to my cruising or vacations than watching people eat, so I'll endure it :rolleyes:

On a Cruise I always pace my self. Which means that I walk slowly to the International Cafe, Trident Grill, Scoops, the buffet, the MDR's, and Crown Grill.:D

What really surprised me was, the last cruise I came home 5 lbs lighter than when we went.

Bob

I do not pig out anymore. Did that on our first couple of cruises many years ago when they still had midnight buffets :eek:

But when i am on vacation and i do not have to cook, i will eat. I like to try things that i would not get at home. So sometimes i will have 2 appetizers, a main dish and some sorbet at dinner. I do not eat red meat so i try to go with a fish.

Yes i do walk as much as i can but unlike my boys i do not go to the gym. I would rather sweat the calories off in the sun :D That works right??

I exercise regularly at home and do get in a couple workouts on a weeklong cruise so don't really watch what I eat onboard. I don't eat everything just because it's there, but if I see say two appetizers I want at dinner I try them both. Take the stairs when you can and enjoy it!

Bottom line, do what you feel like doing. You will not go hungry no matter what you decide to do I promise you that.

I eat a little more when I am cruising but I am also walking a lot more so it balances out.

The alcohol can be a problem and lately I have stayed with wine. I avoid the Froo Froo drinks to decrease calories and carbs. Maybe one during sail away.

Any weight I do gain I lose quickly when I return home.

I never could see th attraction of the "all you can eat" buffet some cruisers demonstrate. I do not seem to gain weight on cruises - perhaps because their desserts are usually so uninspiring. I might have two apppetizers - or an appetizer, soup and salad - then a small main course. My one weakness is bacon - I will always have more on a cruise than at home - but that seems to be offset by the lack of dessert.

Now - if ships served premium ice cream and/or well baked cakes and pies, I'd be in trouble -- but there seems little risk of that.