Why I Hated The Escape and you should too!

TNCruzer56

1st and Biggest Gripe!

25 plus cruzes and I`ve never disliked a new ship so much. The Roll (yaw) (sideto side) of this modern of a ship was ridiculous!!! We had the usual March winds and we have pretty good sets of sea legs, but I`ve never experienced the constant reposition of stance at buffet, dinner, waiting in line, etc. It wasn`t until Nassau and coming upon her from astern docked next to The Harmony of the Seas that I saw what was an incredible narrow beam on such a tall ship.(Yea, I know -No comparison-but height-wise they were about the same). At least10-12 of our group had week long sea-sickness

-

2nd Gripe-hallways that JUST Stopped. Go up, down, up again, up.Unbelievably poor ship-flow design!!!!!

-

3rd Gripe

Itinerary-WTH goes to Jost (cancelled BTW) St Norman at 7AM? And we Had to return at 11:45AM at Tortola-Skippers Orders!!! We thought that we could get the later return (NOPE!!) The restaurants and shops had just opened!!!

7-2 port stop?????????????

4th Gripe

We did the Beverage/Excursion promo and yes enjoyed the 1st, but to my knowledge, every single NCL water/boat excursion was cancelled or changed.We`ve always booked private before and will go back to that now, as the winds were running 15-20, gusts to 25...Trips were makeable-IMHO.

5th Gripe-Nassau-nuf Said!

6th Gripe-All the NCL Excursions were noticeably shorter than previous,privately planned trips. DO NOT GET THIS PROMO.

Finally, All cruzes are good and we pretty much enjoyed ourselves on this one (this review is more of a heads up to newbies than anything else.......B4 I get Flamed!

-

Pitch and Roll were fine with the wife and I, (veteran boaters andcruzers) but be careful if you have a tender tummy.

I have no plans to sail the Escape. Should I hate it, too?

It's bizarre that two of your biggest gripes are schedule and itinerary -- both of which are known way before you book... unless they just picked them out of a hat on your particular trip.

1. I didn't have a problem with movement. The strange (and much reported) "shimmy" wasn't a problem for any of us. Some (1st time cruisers) didn't even notice it.

2. My stateroom was at the end of the hall so....no problem there. The "flow" is bad if using the most traveled routes. There are other ways to get from A to B that are easier/mostly empty.

3. N/A in my experience. Times were "normal".

4. N/A in my experience. We didn't do any boat excursions.

5. We've been there several times. It isn't as horrible as some claim. There are hidden gems to be found.

6. I didn't have that as a promo so also not applicable.

You shouldn't get flamed for an opinion but the "...you should too!" wasn't needed.

All cruzes are good and we pretty much enjoyed ourselves on this one (this review is more of a heads up to newbies than anything else.......B4 I get Flamed!

Pitch and Roll were fine with the wife and I, (veteran boaters andcruzers) but be careful if you have a tender tummy.

Certainly no reason for anyone to FLAME :mad: you for giving your opinion.

If you didn't like the schedule and itinerary then why did you take the cruise? Just curious. I don't see any reason why I should hate the ship because you hate it. Nothing you named would deter me as I don't get seasick and the other things you mentioned don't matter to me. I never take the ship's excursions and I usually figure out the layout of the ship pretty quickly. You're free to hate whatever you want, but that does mean anyone else has hate it. :cool:

You are griping about things that were your choice. Why bother everyone with your choices. Or griping about the weather and how it affected your cruise and excursions.

We have been on the Escape twice. Had beautiful weather both times. The sea was so calm that the ran some open ocean speed trials with a fully loaded ship. We love the Escape!

1st and Biggest Gripe!

25 plus cruzes and I`ve never disliked a new ship so much. The Roll (yaw) (sideto side) of this modern of a ship was ridiculous!!! We had the usual March winds and we have pretty good sets of sea legs, but I`ve never experienced the constant reposition of stance at buffet, dinner, waiting in line, etc. It wasn`t until Nassau and coming upon her from astern docked next to The Harmony of the Seas that I saw what was an incredible narrow beam on such a tall ship.(Yea, I know -No comparison-but height-wise they were about the same). At least10-12 of our group had week long sea-sickness

-

2nd Gripe-hallways that JUST Stopped. Go up, down, up again, up.Unbelievably poor ship-flow design!!!!!

-

3rd Gripe

Itinerary-WTH goes to Jost (cancelled BTW) St Norman at 7AM? And we Had to return at 11:45AM at Tortola-Skippers Orders!!! We thought that we could get the later return (NOPE!!) The restaurants and shops had just opened!!!

7-2 port stop?????????????

4th Gripe

We did the Beverage/Excursion promo and yes enjoyed the 1st, but to my knowledge, every single NCL water/boat excursion was cancelled or changed.We`ve always booked private before and will go back to that now, as the winds were running 15-20, gusts to 25...Trips were makeable-IMHO.

5th Gripe-Nassau-nuf Said!

6th Gripe-All the NCL Excursions were noticeably shorter than previous,privately planned trips. DO NOT GET THIS PROMO.

Finally, All cruzes are good and we pretty much enjoyed ourselves on this one (this review is more of a heads up to newbies than anything else.......B4 I get Flamed!

-

But why should we hate it because you hated it? That is a bit extreme.

The only thing I tend to agree about, is the flow.

The Escape needs a third row of elevators for that size of ship, and when walking a deck it's sometimes true you have to do a return.

That drives me nuts about a ship more than anything else.

I'm not sure what kind of heads up you intended to give to newbies;

Any ship of any size will yaw "ridiculously" in rough waters, which we encountered. Ballasts and stabilizers start losing their effectiveness at a certain point. Wind gusts were up to 35 knots at one point during the sea days.

Also, I'm sorry to say, IMHO, most of your other "gripes" are irrelevant, especially for someone who has 25+ cruises under their belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Flames...Knew I`d get em! Ya`ll are as predictable as ever. Just putting my thoughts out there for peeps making decisions about picking a ship and selecting the excursion pkg. BTW: This boat rolls.

No, the ship rocks!

Thanks for the Flames...Knew I`d get em! Ya`ll are as predictable as ever. Just putting my thoughts out there for peeps making decisions about picking a ship and selecting the excursion pkg.

BTW: This boat rolls.

25+ cruises, 1,000+ posts on CC... and you post a review where 50% of your gripes are about itinerary and how ship excursions are shorter than private excursions? Those are noob complaints OP, everything about them were available to you prior to booking, how can you possibly not know that going in given your experience?

This thread is as disappointing as seeing Nassau for the 769th time.

We did the Beverage/Excursion promo and yes enjoyed the 1st, but to my knowledge, every single NCL water/boat excursion was cancelled or changed.We`ve always booked private before and will go back to that now, as the winds were running 15-20, gusts to 25...Trips were makeable, IMHO

.[/u][/b]

Dangerous assumption. The crew is right to put safety first, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1st and Biggest Gripe!

Well, since you don't seem to know the difference between roll and yaw (your first sentence uses them interchangeably, while your last sentence says roll was fine, I would tend to discount your ideas about ship design as well. Height to beam ratio may have an effect on rolling, but metacentric height is the only real measure of a ship's stability (tendency to roll, and speed of rolling), and without knowing the position of the center of gravity of any two ships, looking at their beam from astern means zero. Now, if your complaint is about yawing (a side to side linear motion, not a revolving of the decks around a center point), this has absolutely nothing to do with beam. This "azipod shimmy" is common to all ships equipped with podded propulsion, and is caused by using the propeller to steer with. The propeller creates a flow of water under the flat hull above the pods, and this will be in the direction the pod is facing. Sea conditions will cause the autopilot to swing the pods back and forth from straight ahead in order to maintain course, and the resulting swing of water flow across the hull above the pods causes the shimmy. This condition is exacerbated by certain weather conditions, in particular following seas. Probably the ultimate example of this shimmy, and the ability of the ship to maintain heading in following seas is the Queen Mary 2, which had to go back into drydock after trials to get a longitudinal "skeg" built between the azipods to improve directional stability.