Booking Caribbean Cruise During Hurricane Season

yuvraj

Would you book a cruise during Hurricane season? Clearly many have (including me) and some got caught up by Irma. Luckily I just missed it by a week.

So on reflection, anything changed as to when you would book your next cruise?

We are booked on the Brilliance 5 night Caribbean cruise as a B2B following our TA next September. We are prepared to be flexible. While we normally do not do hurricane season in the Caribbean we figured why not. We are already on the ship!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Every year for me also. I do not enjoy cruising during hot weather, and for me that is not a vacation. Last year on Anthem was the week after the hurricane that hit Bermuda. This year October 2. I know it is hurricane season and it is a chance I am willing to take. I do buy insurance. Whatever happens I just deal with it. My choice to book during hurricane season.

We book every year around Thanksgiving which is towards the end of hurricane season. We normally do not have any issues but we know the captain will not put passengers or the ship in harms way. Your just board the ship with the mindset to have a great time and if itinerary gets changed oh well. We have cruised in March and due to weather have not been able to get into Key West and Coca Cay. Changes can be made at any time. Enjoy your cruise no matter what ports you visit. Just remember you will be safe As they say "Don't sweat the small stuff" Life is too short.

Would you book a cruise during Hurricane season? Clearly many have (including me) and some got caught up by Irma. Luckily I just missed it by a week.

So on reflection, anything changed as to when you would book your next cruise?

Nope.:)

We book cruises based on when we are at our house in Satellite Beach so sometimes we do. This is the first time we've had a cruise cancelled but, so far, Royal has been great in working with us.:)

I found myself thinking as I was sitting in my dark house listening to Irma howl outside that I wish we had been on a ship during the storm.:D

Sherri:)

I usually sail during September which is my birthday month and have had great luck so far - there was only one cruise where we missed CocoCay because of a storm.

I'd sail in hurricane season again and be prepared to know what could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live near Charleston, SC.... Right near the coast. Staying at Home or going on a cruise, we're still in the Hurricane Seasonal Area...

Since 2008 we have sailed 18 times during Hurricane Season to the Bahamas, Caribbean & Mexico. We must be really lucky, Have never been delayed or deflected by a major storm.

Looking ahead, we have a 10 Day Cruise on the Celebrity Reflection in the middle of November, Some of the port visits may be changed due to Irma...

Dennis & Sue

Going on Oasis in 2 weeks... so Yes. Have sailed in Sep. many times. Only one time was there and issue. Had a Tropical Storm "latch" itself to the stern and follow us everywhere. That was on Mariner a number of years ago. Not really that big of a deal except we missed Coco Cay, and it rained all day in St. Thomas. We were with a group of good friends and had a great time anyway.

However we usually don't, but that's more based on price, and the fact that there are too many kids in the summer. We like end first of the year when the prices are better and it gets us out of the winter weather for a week.

Of course our number may be up in 2 weeks. Tropical Depression 14 is poising for a run. Hopefully we'll "luck out" again.

We do and we will continue to. Last year, we booked three. They all went off without a hitch. We are leaving for a 6 day Western Caribbean tomorrow. We have had an itinerary change and shortened by a day a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We always cruise end of August first of September for my birthday - we got caught on the Allure during Irma.

Honestly it was the smoothest seas we had ever been in. The captain and crew were amazing and we ended up with three extra days on the ship.

Many people left the ship in Jamaica and Cozumel but we stayed on as we live in Florida and were in the path. I guess for us at sea or at home we have to deal with the hurricane.

It was a bit stressful worrying about the house and communicating back home but that's to be expected in an emergency.

We will continue to cruise in hurricane season (and in January)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fourteen years booking during season (June-November) and this is first set of cruises impacted. Allure got extended 3 days for free (although drinks, drink packages, specialty restaurants, internet were extra at half price). None of the original ports and twice in Cozumel. Second cruise got shortened to 4 days, 50% back as OBC, 50% back as a future credit. One port overnight, also not original. And only 2058 people onboard. No insurance needed for this kind of problem (although worth getting for medical, delays enroute, flights, hotels). This has been an unusual year for hurricanes - mostly they are not near you even if there is one out there.